Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

reno

Nov 21, 2008, 3:53 PM
Post #76 of 209 (7486 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crankyclimber] Uninsured and need shoulder surgery. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

crankyclimber wrote:
Those of you who want socialized medicine need to remember that govt runs the VA.

"Nationalized healthcare: The efficiency of FEMA with the compassion of the IRS."

hansolo

Nov 21, 2008, 4:47 PM
Post #77 of 209 (7480 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Uninsured and need shoulder surgery. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
onceahardman wrote:
In reply to:
There are 31 other countries with higher rates than the US. Do you believe that they all track their infant mortality statistics in a manner that gives them an artificially higher rate than the US?

You are the one bringing up "infant mortality" as a proxy for "health care". As such, the burden is on YOU, and no one else, to show how the statistics are calculated.

What if, for example, only say, 26 countries calculate infant mortality different than us. What happens to your stats?

Or, what if the reason for the difference is not medical care, but a reflection of society?

Analysis of pre-term births, which account for the different rates between the US and other countries, indicates there is a high correlation between lifestyle and risk of pre-term birth. Most directly is the link to vigorous work combined with a racial component (non-Cuban African Americans) indicates that the American model of “work hard ‘till you pop” may be the real problem. This would also correlate with those cultures lower on the list (Japan + Scandinavian) where there are low birth rates and pregnancy is a more guarded affair. Quality of medical care is not the likely issue. Attitudes are.

Still no logical argument pointing from a problem to a solution. Why nationalize?

Onceahardman is right, and my metaphor still stands. We are all best served by being responsible for our own medical / climbing protection.

According to the World Health Organization paper on Neonatal and Perinatal Mortality, "Although social factors exert the main influence on the outcome of a birth, as societies advance good medical care tends to play agreater role."
http://www.who.int/reproductive-health/docs/neonatal_perinatal_mortality/text.pdf

The countries with the highest infant survival rate are advanced societies and therefore medical care plays a larger role. Though I agree with you that culture and lifestyle are a factor, just not the main factor.

I really don't see how you can make the claim that attitudes are the issue and not quality medical care. Maybe the OP can fix his shoulder simply by changing his attitude?

hansolo

Nov 21, 2008, 6:36 PM
Post #78 of 209 (7470 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Uninsured and need shoulder surgery. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
In reply to:
There are 31 other countries with higher rates than the US. Do you believe that they all track their infant mortality statistics in a manner that gives them an artificially higher rate than the US?

You are the one bringing up "infant mortality" as a proxy for "health care". As such, the burden is on YOU, and no one else, to show how the statistics are calculated.

What if, for example, only say, 26 countries calculate infant mortality different than us. What happens to your stats?

In the WHO's report on neonatal and perinatal mortality, the author cites under reporting of stillbirths and low birth weight infant deaths as an issue. However, it is less of an issue in developed countries, and the WHO attempts estimate the descrepancy in reporting criteria between countries in order to produce a reliable statistical analysis.
http://www.who.int/reproductive-health/docs/neonatal_perinatal_mortality/text.pdf

So I would concede that there may be some statistical error in the data, but not enough to significantly change the ranking, especially between the developed countries at the top of the list.

I would say that infant mortality is a good proxy for standard of care because child birth is fairly ubiquitous. After all, close to 50% of the population will give birth. If a health care system has a poor infant mortality rate, then there are likely other areas in which the system performs poorly.

irregularpanda

Nov 21, 2008, 6:46 PM
Post #79 of 209 (7466 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yeahyeahyeah] Uninsured and need shoulder surgery. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeahyeahyeah wrote:
it won't be covered...and I can't afford it anyway.

As an asside, let me just say FUCK the insurance industry and everyone who works for it. Grow a conscience you fucking parasites.

So here is my question. For those of you who have had shoulder/rotator cuff surgery, how much did your surgery and pt treatment cost?

Go to canada, have your buddy hit you in the shoulder a couple times with a golf club, and walk into the ER. Ask if you'll need surgery. That should probably cover it.

hansolo

Nov 21, 2008, 7:24 PM
Post #80 of 209 (7465 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Uninsured and need shoulder surgery. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
hansolo wrote:
In reply to:
Oh, and don't discount the number of people who get pregnant in one country, get minimal if any prenatal care, then come to the USA and deliver the child. Those stats are counted with ours, when they rightly should not be.

Who does this? I can't imagine that there are that many big bellied pregnant women swimming the Rio Grande, or sailing across Lake Huron.

Dude, I spent the past 4.5 years working an ambulance in Arizona. Maybe YOU can't "imagine" this happening, but I made a living off it happening for damn near a half decade.

In reply to:
If there are, don't you think this might happen in other countries as well?

Yeah, sure, because all those other countries have the illegal immigration problem that the US has. I hear Iceland is a bitch to cross into, though.

France, Spain, and Portugal also have immigration issues, yet still have a better infant mortality rate than the US. Despite your personal experience working in an ambulance, I seriousely doubt that this is a big enough problem to change the national infant mortality rate significantly. There are about 4 million children born per year in the US. Based on an infant mortality rate of 6.3 per 1,000 births, there are about 25,000 infants that do not survive. Assuming that the infant mortality rate for immigrant mothers is that of Mexico (19.01 deaths per 1,000 live births), to change the infant mortality rate by one point by the method you suggest, there would have to be about 210,000 immigrant mother births. With a one point drop, we would still be ranked behind 26 other countries.

onceahardman

Nov 21, 2008, 10:53 PM
Post #81 of 209 (7449 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hansolo] Uninsured and need shoulder surgery. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.who.int/...l_mortality/text.pdf

Your thingy made clicky.

I'm not sure if you have already read it, but the report you tried to link describes considerable problems in consistency, beginning on page 6, when the stats are described.

In short, there is, at present, no reason to believe your assertion that the USA has the 31st best infant mortality rate, if all countries involved are compared equally. In some countries, only half of stillbirths are even recorded.

(This post was edited by onceahardman on Nov 21, 2008, 10:54 PM)

hansolo

Nov 22, 2008, 2:26 AM
Post #82 of 209 (7441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
http://www.who.int/...l_mortality/text.pdf

Your thingy made clicky.

I'm not sure if you have already read it, but the report you tried to link describes considerable problems in consistency, beginning on page 6, when the stats are described.

In short, there is, at present, no reason to believe your assertion that the USA has the 31st best infant mortality rate, if all countries involved are compared equally. In some countries, only half of stillbirths are even recorded.

You have to read further, where the paper explains that the consisency gap between countries is much less pronounced among developed countries then undeveloped countries.
Or, maybe the WHO is making the whole statistic up to make the US health care system look bad, and isn't really that concerned about creating a valuable way to compare infant mortality rates between countries. Do I really have to justify this ranking?

The fact is we are not first, despite how much the US spends on health care. Don't you think there is room for improvement?

reno

Nov 22, 2008, 2:45 AM
Post #83 of 209 (7436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hansolo wrote:
The fact is we are not first, despite how much the US spends on health care. Don't you think there is room for improvement?

Yes, of course there is (always) room for improvement. I don't think anyone with functional brain cells disputes that fact.

People simply disagree on how to best obtain that improvement.

Given the historical inefficiencies of government, do you really think they'd make it better?

onceahardman

Nov 22, 2008, 2:46 AM
Post #84 of 209 (7436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Don't you think there is room for improvement?

You have a short memory. On the previous page, I said:

In reply to:
I recognize the system needs change. But I think it's more tweaking, rather than tearing down the whole thing.

At this point, you seem to just want to argue. I'm not playing anymore.

(This post was edited by onceahardman on Nov 22, 2008, 2:47 AM)

drjghl

Nov 22, 2008, 3:01 PM
Post #85 of 209 (7424 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To YYY

Everything in medicine begins with diagnosis. See your internist. He/she will refer you to an orthopedic surgeon. You will get examined and probably get an MRI. If you pay out of pocket, go find your own orthopedic surgeon. Once you have the most precise diagnosis possible, you will know your treatment options and you can consider the costs of treatment then.

If I were a gambling man, I would guess that you tore your labrum and stretched some ligaments in your shoulder. My brother tore his labrum. He saw an orthopedist and got an mri. He opted to treat his tear with PT. Doing pretty good. But I would suspect that you have a different type of injury.

When you get your diagnosis, let us know what happens. Follow up is key. Good luck.

Joe

Toast_in_the_Machine

Nov 24, 2008, 3:38 AM
Post #86 of 209 (7403 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hansolo wrote:
According to the World Health Organization paper on Neonatal and Perinatal Mortality, "Although social factors exert the main influence on the outcome of a birth, as societies advance good medical care tends to play agreater role."

The countries with the highest infant survival rate are advanced societies and therefore medical care plays a larger role. Though I agree with you that culture and lifestyle are a factor, just not the main factor.

I really don't see how you can make the claim that attitudes are the issue and not quality medical care. Maybe the OP can fix his shoulder simply by changing his attitude?

First, onceahardman is correct again. It is clear you only want to argue. It takes an idiot to want to point out fact to someone like that. Fortunately for you: I’m that kind of idiot.

I know you can use google, because you already have linked (non-clickety) the old WHO study several times. However, a single statistic does not prove an entire system worthy or unworthy. If you had done a little more web searching you would have found several interesting facts.

First the CIA lists the “European Union” as having a higher infant mortality than USA (and we all know the CIA is never wrong on its facts). Second, you would have learned that outside of the third world, IM is very dependent on pre-term births. Pre-term births can be caused by increased use of fertility drugs as well as environmental factors including physical work near term as well as other causes (read “crack cocaine”). Third, you would have learned that increasing access to prenatal care does not correspond with a decreasing infant mortality rates.

The best thing though, is that it doesn’t matter. Even if the government runs the health care (or route bolting) institutions, in the end it is your body and your climb. Only you live with the results.

The attitude I speak of is the one that comes from understanding that self reliance. The OP is mostly f**ked for his shoulder: his options are now limited by his financial means. There is advice given here by professionals should be followed.

My advice is to learn that protection comes not just from nuts.

dynosore

Nov 24, 2008, 1:50 PM
Post #87 of 209 (7394 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The US has a high murder rate compared to a lot of countries too. But guess what, if you choose to stay away from drugs and thugs, your odds of being murdered go down by a factor of several. Just like if you choose to go to college and get a good job, you will have good insurance. Having the government step in and give insurance to those that didn't make good choices doesn't make sense. Let's provide insurance for kids through college age, and the disabled. Healthy adults are on their own. THEN we can talk about reforming the private healthcare industry.

hansolo

Nov 24, 2008, 8:13 PM
Post #88 of 209 (7378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
In reply to:
Don't you think there is room for improvement?

You have a short memory. On the previous page, I said:

In reply to:
I recognize the system needs change. But I think it's more tweaking, rather than tearing down the whole thing.

At this point, you seem to just want to argue. I'm not playing anymore.

I just want to argue?? Well, that is partly true. But I am pretty sure you were the one who said "In short, there is, at present, no reason to believe your assertion that the USA has the 31st best infant mortality rate. . ." when I was only quoting a World Health Organization statistic. They could be wrong, but I doubt it.

onceahardman

Nov 25, 2008, 3:36 AM
Post #89 of 209 (7362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You know, han solo, I think you should RTFR rather than press clippings. According to the chart at the end to WHO's report, Singapore has the lowest perinatal death rate.

They also have among the lowest birth rates in the word, 1.26 per woman. not enough to sustain it's own population.

If you take that as an accurate proxy for superior health care, that's fine. Just be comfortable in your delusion.

"Please encase Capt. Solo in carbonite"

-Lord Vader

Toast_in_the_Machine

Nov 25, 2008, 12:46 PM
Post #90 of 209 (7347 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Couldn't resist replying, could you?

USnavy

Dec 25, 2008, 12:16 PM
Post #91 of 209 (7215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Don’t most universities provide free medical coverage as part of the tuition? All my college friends have their medical care covered by the university as its part of the tuition.

nivlac

Dec 25, 2008, 1:27 PM
Post #92 of 209 (7212 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Uninsured and need shoulder surgery. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
Don’t most universities provide free medical coverage as part of the tuition? All my college friends have their medical care covered by the university as its part of the tuition.

Free medical coverage = oxymoron, no? Especially when you have to pay for it via tuition.

Merry Xmas everyone!!

USnavy

Dec 25, 2008, 2:06 PM
Post #93 of 209 (7211 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nivlac] Uninsured and need shoulder surgery. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

nivlac wrote:
USnavy wrote:

Free medical coverage = oxymoron, no? Especially when you have to pay for it via tuition.

Merry Xmas everyone!!

Ok so "included" coverage. Isn’t most medical coverage "included" with college tuition? After all if the student gets injured and can’t pay their bills they won’t be going to college anymore. It would only make sense for the college to protect their customers.

Partner angry

Dec 28, 2008, 8:50 AM
Post #94 of 209 (7171 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Uninsured and need shoulder surgery. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
nivlac wrote:
USnavy wrote:

Merry Xmas everyone!!

Ok so "included" coverage. Isn’t most medical coverage "included" with college tuition? After all if the student gets injured and can’t pay their bills they won’t be going to college anymore. It would only make sense for the college to protect their customers.

When I went to school, they covered 50% of what they considered a fair price.

I had an RA blood test. It cost 300. They said 50 miles away I could have had it for 200 so they only covered half of that price. That's just an example, not a huge money loss but you see their principles.

Student health is usually free unless they refer you to a physician outside of the university. This is all just part of the student fees, not the insurance. So you don't need the school insurance to use student health. At my school (university of wyoming) it was about $400 extra a semester for insurance.

Do the math. A semester is 4-5 months. You're at around 100 a month for a plan that covers 50%. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have Aetna 100% coverage with a 3G deductible. It's $92 a month. There are other similar private plans through just about every major insurer. Some even have temporary plans made just for the student to productive citizen transition.

Student insurance isn't a deal, it's a scam on a gullible population who's usually too healthy to even know they're getting hosed.

roberchr

Dec 28, 2008, 9:43 AM
Post #95 of 209 (7166 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Uninsured and need shoulder surgery. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
The US has a high murder rate compared to a lot of countries too. But guess what, if you choose to stay away from drugs and thugs, your odds of being murdered go down by a factor of several. Just like if you choose to go to college and get a good job, you will have good insurance. Having the government step in and give insurance to those that didn't make good choices doesn't make sense. Let's provide insurance for kids through college age, and the disabled. Healthy adults are on their own. THEN we can talk about reforming the private healthcare industry.

I just quoted dynosore here to respond to a general sentiment that is used as an implied and sometimes explicit premise in many of the arguments favoring a private insurance industry.

The idea that everybody has the opportunity to be able to choose, or make an educated decision is flawed. do you really think that anybody wants to live in a place with a high murder rate? or that a person doesn't want health insurance? the OP clearly was trying to go to school, and risked some time without health insurance to be able to have the opportunity to have it in the future. In addition the people who do not have the money for health insurance are also more likely to be people who did not have access to education about proper health, nutrition, and how not to get screwed by insurance.

There are simply some industries that should not be out to make a profit, and should be run either by non-profit organizations, or the government. I believe health insurance is one of those industries. a capitalistic system has it's benefits, but somebody always losses and somebody always wins. but when the losers are dying and costing the system incredible amounts of money we have a public interest problem.

The posts of some others are similarly narrow-minded, as the argument goes that if you are at fault you should pay for your medical issues. for example, Type I diabetes is a pre-existing condition in which the person has no fault in it's cause, and diabetics can often be denied insurance if not provided by their employer or school. It is clearly not in the economic interest of a company to insure a diabetic, but it is in the public interest to give a diabetic medical care, or future complications will cost the taxpayers an incredible amount of money. When it is profitable, or "makes sense economically," for somebody to deny health benefits everybody loses.

Sorry for the digression from the original topic, but it had to be said

reno

Dec 28, 2008, 1:30 PM
Post #96 of 209 (7160 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roberchr] Uninsured and need shoulder surgery. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

roberchr wrote:
do you really think that anybody wants to live in a place with a high murder rate? or that a person doesn't want health insurance?

Yes. People actually make the choice to live in violent cities, make the choice to engage in risky behavior, and make the choice to not purchase health insurance. Millions of people make those decisions every single day.

uhoh

Dec 28, 2008, 2:50 PM
Post #97 of 209 (7147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeahyeahyeah wrote:
As an asside, let me just say FUCK the insurance industry and everyone who works for it. Grow a conscience you fucking parasites.

So here is my question. For those of you who have had shoulder/rotator cuff surgery, how much did your surgery and pt treatment cost?

Thanks in advance for any info.

I hope you realize that trying to get health insurance after an injury is exactly like trying to get car insurance right after you get into a car accident - it doesn't work. And now, you've not only screwed yourself but you've endangered your parents' credit as well. Insurance is available to anyone, even if it is expensive, but you chose not to purchase it. And now you want to blame the insurance companies?

You've stated you're working two jobs to put yourself through college - was your FAFSA denied? You're talking about not being able to meet the deductibles but didn't it also occur to you the deductibles + premium might actually be less than the cost of care?

You're using cost and a fear of non-coverage as an excuse for not purchasing insurance. I did the same thing for 2008 even though I was able to purchase it and after two trips to the ER at the end of the year I'm thinking that may not have been the best idea. Fortunately, my first visit was cheap and my second probably won't be more than $400, but I wouldn't be so fortunate had I face planted off a route or wrecked my shoulder.

The fact is that you're responsible for your healthcare and you opted not to purchase insurance to cover it. Now you're whining about the companies hassling you over a pre-existing condition and about how your mom and pop have to charge their bills because you injured yourself without insurance.

Now that I'm done with the ripping portion of this particular reply, what you can do is apply for aid to cover the cost of medical bills. At times there may be charity available as well as community medical assistance. My brother was uninsured when he had to go to the ER for stones as well as a staph infection later on. He was notified of the availability of assistance though I don't know if he ever applied for any of it.

As aerili mentioned, check with your student union to see what sort of medical services are available and at what price. I sincerely doubt your university is staffed and equipped in such a way as to be able to provide surgical services but they may be able to recommend a cheaper doctor and perhaps provide some post-op assistance.

uhoh

Dec 28, 2008, 2:59 PM
Post #98 of 209 (7145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeahyeahyeah wrote:
My mom works for the gov't and makes minimum wage. She had to go to mexico to get an operation done because the same operation with her gov't funded insurance would have cost her 3 times as much as the trip to mexico and the operation combined.

I'm calling shenanigans. I want to know which agency your mom allegedly works for and what she does there.

htotsu

Dec 28, 2008, 4:13 PM
Post #99 of 209 (7136 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Uninsured and need shoulder surgery. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
roberchr wrote:
do you really think that anybody wants to live in a place with a high murder rate? or that a person doesn't want health insurance?

Yes. People actually make the choice to live in violent cities, make the choice to engage in risky behavior, and make the choice to not purchase health insurance. Millions of people make those decisions every single day.

Oh, come on. The first is totally different from the second and the third. Income is a huge factor in where one "chooses" to live. When your options are limited, then you can't suggest that "choice" is completely voluntary. There are people of all backgrounds who work hard every day and make an honest living, but cannot afford to live somewhere safer than they do. Roberchr asked if you really think anybody "WANTS" to live in a place with a high murder rate. Your pointing out that people "choose" to live there in no way proves that this is what they "want."

Toast_in_the_Machine

Dec 29, 2008, 6:38 PM
Post #100 of 209 (7099 views)
Shortcut

Re: [htotsu] Uninsured and need shoulder surgery. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Whhhhaaatttt?

You mean to tell me that not everyone lives exactly in their dream house? Next you'll probably break the news that not everyone drives the car of their dreams.

Please help me...do people do things because they think they should (i.e.spend holidays with relatives they dislike) and still end up unhappy?

Also, do people post useless, redundant messages to thread that should have died long ago?

Do some people just need to click reply?

(skuze me while I reply)

"Life is pain princess..."

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook