RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

01grander

Jan 5, 2009, 3:37 PM
Post #1 of 13 (4559 views)
Shortcut

Climbing for charity
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was just wondering what y'alls take on this. It seems like its more of a way for someone to raise money to fund their own trips. Then again it does raise money for charities and can potentially do some real good for a cause. I was debating because it is a good way to fund a trip but at the same time it does seem like its more self interest. I'm just curious not trying to bash anyone that has done it.

Partner climbinginchico

Jan 5, 2009, 4:51 PM
Post #2 of 13 (4544 views)
Shortcut

Re: [01grander] Climbing for charity [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[Kip]Your mom climbs for charity.[/Kip]Tongue

(This post was edited by climbinginchico on Jan 5, 2009, 4:59 PM)

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 5, 2009, 5:13 PM
Post #3 of 13 (4528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

01grander wrote:
I was debating because it is a good way to fund a trip but at the same time it does seem like its more self interest. I'm just curious not trying to bash anyone that has done it.

Yes - it would seem some expeditions do find it "a good way" to fund their trips....

Read "High Crimes - The Fate of Everest in the Age of Greed," by Michael Kodas, for some interesting insight.

Here's the URL: http://www.highcrimesbook.com

While not all charity events are pulling the event with ulterior motives, it's a shame that some do. It seems the sponsoring charities often deal with the duality because at least they get SOME of the money raised.

How would you feel(the collective "you," not you in particular, OP) if, for instance, your sister died of Leukemia. Later you read about an adventure bicycle expedition, from point A to B, and decided to donate to the event to help raise money for research and maybe something more specific like a hospital that treats children with Leukemia regardless of their parent's ability to pay.

Not only that, the fanciful brochure got you so inspired that you went round at work, and within your social groups, raising funds.....

Later you find out that the amount given to the charities was like 2 cents on every dollar raised. The rest went for things like that beautiful brochure, team jackets, t-shirts, bicycle "extras" like racking systems, the pre-launch party, the post launch party, etc., etc., etc. And that the 2 cents on a dollar is just an estimate, because the group's organizer is not transparent with the accounting....

Charity events DO do good. They raise awareness, they DO donate funds. They may even change somebody's life. Often the participants aren't aware how little of the collected funds go to the charity, much less the people on the outside donating.

But knowingly using a charity's name to make a holiday - or worse - is not cool.

Organizations sponsoring such events often do have materials that explain how the money raised is to be used. It's a good idea to look into it and see if that fits with your idea of acceptable. If in doubt....you can always donate directly TO the charityy(after seeing hoe THEY disemminate funds!) "in honor of" whatever event wanted your donation in the first place!

jcrew

Jan 5, 2009, 6:15 PM
Post #4 of 13 (4500 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Climbing for charity [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbing "for charity" is like going on an "eco" expedition... use all kinds of energy for some pointless consumptive white-man conquer trip, all for the "less fortunate". ...."bro, i gotta fly down to costa rica to teach enviornmental ethics, be back next week..."

Gmburns2000

Jan 5, 2009, 6:32 PM
Post #5 of 13 (4492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
01grander wrote:
I was debating because it is a good way to fund a trip but at the same time it does seem like its more self interest. I'm just curious not trying to bash anyone that has done it.

Yes - it would seem some expeditions do find it "a good way" to fund their trips....

Read "High Crimes - The Fate of Everest in the Age of Greed," by Michael Kodas, for some interesting insight.

Here's the URL: http://www.highcrimesbook.com

While not all charity events are pulling the event with ulterior motives, it's a shame that some do. It seems the sponsoring charities often deal with the duality because at least they get SOME of the money raised.

How would you feel(the collective "you," not you in particular, OP) if, for instance, your sister died of Leukemia. Later you read about an adventure bicycle expedition, from point A to B, and decided to donate to the event to help raise money for research and maybe something more specific like a hospital that treats children with Leukemia regardless of their parent's ability to pay.

Not only that, the fanciful brochure got you so inspired that you went round at work, and within your social groups, raising funds.....

Later you find out that the amount given to the charities was like 2 cents on every dollar raised. The rest went for things like that beautiful brochure, team jackets, t-shirts, bicycle "extras" like racking systems, the pre-launch party, the post launch party, etc., etc., etc. And that the 2 cents on a dollar is just an estimate, because the group's organizer is not transparent with the accounting....

Charity events DO do good. They raise awareness, they DO donate funds. They may even change somebody's life. Often the participants aren't aware how little of the collected funds go to the charity, much less the people on the outside donating.

But knowingly using a charity's name to make a holiday - or worse - is not cool.

Organizations sponsoring such events often do have materials that explain how the money raised is to be used. It's a good idea to look into it and see if that fits with your idea of acceptable. If in doubt....you can always donate directly TO the charityy(after seeing hoe THEY disemminate funds!) "in honor of" whatever event wanted your donation in the first place!

I have to admit that I've thought of this, but it seemed too difficult at the time. I was going to do this for the American Heart Association, but they required a $100k (or something like that) contribution in order to use their name and logo.

01grander

Jan 5, 2009, 7:30 PM
Post #6 of 13 (4481 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Climbing for charity [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess i was just wondering how much you could possibly raise. I want to climb a mountain or two but I don't want to do it if less than what I would use would go to a charity. Anybody have experience? I really would only want to go if I could raise a decent bit more for the charity than what I would use.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 5, 2009, 8:31 PM
Post #7 of 13 (4457 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How much you can raise? Like anything else in the world - it depends.

On contacts, ability to promote, ability to develop a campaign, delegate projects, find ways to get things done efficiently, inspire others to join you, and so on, and on, and on.

Start small - Choose your charity - one that means something to you besides a ticket to ride, hopefully. Go out and raise some money for them. Find out what's involved in fundraising...maybe by volunteering with a legitimate organization already doing good work.

Suggestion - Check out http://www.threecupsoftea.com - they have plenty of opportunity for someone to raise funds for an incredibly worthy cause. They won't be setting you up, of course. Pretty much you get to "do something" and send off the donations. A climbing holiday ain't going to be coming out of that. Unless you're really a maker/shaker sort.

If you have never raised funds before, nor planned and followed through with a fundraising campaign, you will be in for a big surprise at all the work involved. And - what another surprise - how few people are ready, willing and able to join you in the project, despite it's value and benefit to others. "Wow - that's great. Thank you for doing it." will be about ALL you receive from 90% or more of those you talk to.

Or.....you could go online and search a few keywords and get on an already established fundraiser holiday. Just remember to look into the finances and see if you can support it in good conscience.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 5, 2009, 8:35 PM
Post #8 of 13 (4453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

....well, look at this:
http://www.threecupsoftea.com/...mp;showCat=&oc=1

Greg Mortensen(Three Cups of Tea) will be speaking here in NYC in a couple weeks at Barnes & Noble....

A week later, he is the keynote speaker at a conferenece at the United Nations (Public not invited to that one, of course). But the B&N should be quite packed, I'd think.

01grander

Jan 5, 2009, 9:11 PM
Post #9 of 13 (4432 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well i haven't really thought of a charity at all yet. My grandfather died in relation to Alzheimers/dementia. I've raised support before when i went on a missions trip for building a school for the deaf in Mexico. I guess this would be different/weird because I would personally be gaining something for this.....anyways I just really wanted to do something I like while helping out.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 6, 2009, 4:03 AM
Post #10 of 13 (4391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

....then pay your way and just do the fund-raising part! Probably not what you were wanting to hear....

But as you know from your other works of giving, you DO receive when you give. Maybe just can't know what it is you'll receive before the fact.

suilenroc

Jan 6, 2009, 4:29 AM
Post #11 of 13 (4377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
....well, look at this:

Greg Mortensen(Three Cups of Tea)

Great example of what real charity is all about...

atg200

Jan 6, 2009, 4:43 AM
Post #12 of 13 (4369 views)
Shortcut

Re: [suilenroc] Climbing for charity [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

suilenroc wrote:
In reply to:
....well, look at this:

Greg Mortensen(Three Cups of Tea)

Great example of what real charity is all about...

Indeed. Most of the "climbing for x cause" trips are little more than exercises in narcissistic self interest. Unless you are a very gifted fundraiser, you would do better to donate your time to an existing charity or get a second job and donate the proceeds.

01grander

Jan 6, 2009, 6:50 PM
Post #13 of 13 (4341 views)
Shortcut

Re: [atg200] Climbing for charity [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

True and I appreciate all the posts.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook