Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

hafilax

Jan 16, 2009, 1:57 AM
Post #26 of 27 (1168 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brenta] Need help calculating forces / fall factor! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

brenta wrote:
hafilax wrote:
If I'm bored I might try to incorporate stretch with a Hook's law approximation.

I guess I was bored a few months ago, and I wrote a simple model with Hooke's law taken into account, but no friction. Here's a trajectory computed by Octave. I didn't focus on force, because I was interested in the speed at which one would slam into a dihedral if falling during a traverse. I'm a bit too tired tonight to change the model, but the rope modulus is 20 kN, so it's not difficult to estimate it at roughly 2 kN from rope elongation.
For the love of everything holy include some damping in there!

jt512

Jan 16, 2009, 2:14 AM
Post #27 of 27 (1166 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cantbuymefriends] Need help calculating forces / fall factor! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

cantbuymefriends wrote:
tweeek wrote:
Now, I am trying to understand dthe forces put onto the rope... If I read correctly, I have been told 2 things... the force is 3x that of gravity, or the force is 3x that of body weight? Sorry, Im not sure if I read that correctly.
The reason I ask, is I am wondering if the forces are signifigant enough to warrant me from retiring a rope used in this swing after X amount of uses, as I would with a rope that has been exposed to hard falls while I am climbing.

Thanks so much for all your help!!
Are you absolutely sure that you know what you are doing/talking about, cause this question indicates that you don't have a clue?

Neither gravity nor body weight is a force, per se. They just "form" a force when combined. You know, F=m*a (where "a" in this case is gravity)

So, "three times bodyweight" means that you take the force that Gravity normally exerts on Your Bodyweight and multiply that by 3.
If your weight is 100 kg (220 lbm) the gravitational force on your body is 980 N (almost 1 kN)
So 3 times bodyweight means in this case a load or force of about 3 kN.
Ok?

I'm calling it a tie for cluelessness. At least the first guy knew he was confused.

Jay

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook