RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

pushfurther

Oct 22, 2001, 4:15 AM
Post #1 of 18 (5940 views)
Shortcut

bouldering games?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i don't know if this has been posted before, but what kind of bouldering games do you guys play? i know about add-on and friendly dyno comps..any others or variations of these?

Partner pianomahnn

Oct 22, 2001, 4:19 AM
Post #2 of 18 (5940 views)
Shortcut

bouldering games? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

(gym game)

There is this one game I've played before. It involves 5 or 6 top ropes. You take the end, and put it in a bolt hole so there is a loop in the rope, and it's off the ground. One loop is close to the ground, which you go over, and one is high, which you go under, back and forth like that. The object is to boulder them without touching the rope. Wicked hard!

fiend

Oct 22, 2001, 4:27 AM
Post #3 of 18 (5940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HORSE
Get some buddies and take turns setting problems. Onsight format.

I set the first problem without touching the holds or climbing any of the moves and then everyone else has to onsight it. If you fall off my problem then you get a letter. If I fall off my own problem then I get 2 letters.
Then you set a problem etc etc etc.
Problem setter always climbs last. First one to HORSE loses, although we usually just keep playing.

I like this way better than add-on because you don't end up doing the same beginning sequence over and over again and you have to push harder to onsight a lot of problems.

We also play with certain rules like, you can use any of the holds in any order, match anywhere, etc. Or if the setter wants to call it tracking then you have to track the problem.

Stick game
One person on the wall, one person on the ground with the pointer stick (laser pens work good for this).
Dude with the stick selects start holds and first move. Climber gets on and does the move. Dude with stick points out next hold and which hand. The idea is to keep the climber going and throw them crappy holds here and there.
If you want to work slopers then tell stick dude to point slopers etc.

Then switch and you get to point your bro to evil holds.

It can turn into endurance or really short powerfull moves depending on what the dude with the stick points you to.

pushfurther

Oct 22, 2001, 3:09 PM
Post #4 of 18 (5940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh yeah i forgot about the stick game. that's a cool one too.

tyraidbp

Oct 22, 2001, 4:48 PM
Post #5 of 18 (5940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think a good variation to Fiends game of horse is to get about 5 or 6 people, each person gets their own little area away from each other, then you get 10 mintues to set a problem. You have to be able to do the problem that you set, then at the ten minute mark, everyone stops, gets back together then walks around to look at each problem. This gives you about 5 mintutes to shake out and relax, then you start working each of the problems. The best way to work the problems starting out is one person at each, then if there is something that you cant do, start to get together and work them. The person with the least amount of onsights of their problem is the "winner" but dont worry so much about that. Just have fun with it. You can also set limits to the number of holds, like a 5 move minimum or 7 or whatever you all decide on.

tyraidbp

Oct 22, 2001, 4:52 PM
Post #6 of 18 (5940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

But wait, theres more. Sorry I just thought of this one too. I like to go to the gym a day or even just a couple of hours before everyone else comes in, set about 10 problems for them. Then once they arrive and get warmed up, go through and show them to everyone. Then I watch them do all the problems to see what I can do to make better problems for a later day. Something like that will also help you, as you get to see a few different ways of doing the same thing. You can take turns each week of doing this, so then everyone gets to set stuff.

metoliusmunchkin

Oct 22, 2001, 9:08 PM
Post #7 of 18 (5940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, my dad and I are climbing parners, we go bouldering together at least once a week. While we're in the gym, bouldering, we use different methods of sending of traversing a certain problem. (While one person would scend a large roof only using certain holds, we would try to incorporate, new and wacky ways of using holds and such).

Though, while we are at home on our home climbing wall (since of course it is not very large) we simply try to do certain moves, or try to send the route only using a certain amount of holds. Often we would simply choose the holds that we can use, which limits us and will make the route much harder. Nothing new there.
-Pat.

Partner pianomahnn

Oct 22, 2001, 10:04 PM
Post #8 of 18 (5940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

masterbacon, you must explain this one to me. Subtracting?

kriso9tails

Oct 22, 2001, 10:14 PM
Post #9 of 18 (5940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone seen the warrior pit in 'Masters of Stone.' Now that looks like a good bouldering game.

pushfurther

Oct 22, 2001, 10:25 PM
Post #10 of 18 (5940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no i haven't seen it..explain?

fiend

Oct 22, 2001, 10:46 PM
Post #11 of 18 (5940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hahaha, you must get Masters of Stone!

These 80's guys with long hair and bright tights zipline into this water resevoir kinda thing one at a time and then try to climb out. First one to the top get's the girl.
Remember the tackling climbing thing on American Gladiators? It's like that only no ropes and into the water.
This one dude dynos like 4 feet sideways, wraps his arms around the guy next to him, and takes both of them down like 25ft into the water. Great stuff.

pushfurther

Oct 22, 2001, 11:09 PM
Post #12 of 18 (5940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

long hair and bright tights? they must be sport climbers..

wandt

Oct 23, 2001, 12:30 AM
Post #13 of 18 (5940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We played a game similar to that up in Prince George. In the big invert there was 3' of foam and we would go one-on-one, winner stays. If you make your opponent fall, you win.
Rules:
1) No grabbing "loose" anatomy (ears, nose, eyes, "other")
2) No dropping feet-first on people.
3) No kicking above the knee.
Looking back, it's really a wonder that no-one got seriously hurt.
It's also a wonder that the guys working at the gym (apart from Rob and I- who were players)let us play that (and occasionally joined in.)

metoliusmunchkin

Oct 23, 2001, 1:22 AM
Post #14 of 18 (5940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That sounds like some pretty funny stuff. I'm going to have to try that sometime, with adult supervision of course .

I have never seen that movie, is it a climbing movie, or just a regular action flick with climbing in it? The only climbing video that I own is 'Rampage' and that is one of the most amazing videos that I've seen (including Hard Grit, and many other short movies on http://www.climbxmedia.com). Who else here has Rampage? What do you think of it?

Pat.

hardcoredana

Oct 23, 2001, 2:50 AM
Post #15 of 18 (5941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Somehow, you get a longer easy traverse problem (either someone sets it first, or you all set it together) Everyone climbs the original route. Then take off a hold, and have everyone climb it. Keep taking off holds until the route is impossible. The person who stayed on the longest wins. Lots o'fun!

Masterbacon, is that what you meant by subtracting?

tyraidbp

Oct 23, 2001, 4:05 PM
Post #16 of 18 (5940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I once took down an entire gym with some other guys by playing subtracting. We started a traverse, then every time someone went, they had to hang there with the drill and take the hold off, then move on to the finish. Took forever, but we had plenty of pizza and beer. Good game.

fiend

Oct 25, 2001, 6:33 AM
Post #17 of 18 (5940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

general dyno games.

biggest throw,
slopiest hold thrown to,
biggest sideways -my current best is 7ft sideways. set 'em reall low so it forces you to crunch your abs in real tight to avoid sraping the mats. the momentum from a 7ft sideways toss is enough to send you horizontal when you latch the finishing jug. great fun

laplaya

Oct 25, 2001, 6:49 AM
Post #18 of 18 (5940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rock warriors reom the masters of stone video is the ultimate boldering game...I need to find somewhere in my area to play safely. and, no, you will not see me in bright tights, or any tights for that matter.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook