Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

xkolex

Jan 21, 2009, 8:12 PM
Post #1 of 50 (14938 views)
Shortcut

push-ups/pull-ups/abs
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i was wondering if you could do like 100 pull-ups 100 push-ups and like maybe 100 abs or something along those lines. (it doesn't have to be that many reps for either of the exercises). i dont want to work out i just want to improve my climbing. and pretty much those three exercises will be my main focus i think. so my question is can i just do those three exercises everyday and will i become stronger and in better shape for climbing just using those three exercises?

hafilax

Jan 21, 2009, 8:20 PM
Post #2 of 50 (14923 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xkolex] push-ups/pull-ups/abs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No.

implant

Jan 21, 2009, 8:23 PM
Post #3 of 50 (14920 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you should do suicides. if you do one properly that might even be enough.

gogounou

Jan 21, 2009, 10:06 PM
Post #4 of 50 (14879 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

xkolex wrote:
...will i become stronger and in better shape...

Yes. Er, maybe.

In reply to:
...for climbing... ?

No.

kane_schutzman

Jan 21, 2009, 10:13 PM
Post #5 of 50 (14863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, and yes.

I have done this stuff for training. All works. Pullups, work great. The ability to do one arm lockoffs will make any overhanging route easier for you. Pushups work your core very well. Abs, well Id say why not?

Specifically when doing pull ups. Do a one arm on the descent, keeping as much tension as you can.

booyuhka

Jan 21, 2009, 10:16 PM
Post #6 of 50 (14861 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
100 pull-ups 100 push-ups and like maybe 100 abs

In my experience...

yes, no, yes.

For pull-ups, I'd go with frenchies instead tho. I wouldnt do them everyday. Maybe twice/3 times a week. Try and get them in on days youre not climbing.

I personally think push-ups hurt more then they help. I was on a push up kick for several weeks a couple of years ago and I noticed the workouts started adversely affecting my flexibility. I stopped immediately.

Core. Most certainly. Especially if you get on anything overhung. Again try and get some time off in between sessions. Day on, day off.

gl on staying motivated.

theguy

Jan 21, 2009, 10:30 PM
Post #7 of 50 (14848 views)
Shortcut

Re: [booyuhka] push-ups/pull-ups/abs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do a search and get flamed by proxy

aerili

Jan 22, 2009, 1:02 AM
Post #8 of 50 (14802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

As somebody who has trained others for years, I've never understood the exclusive push-up/pull-up/ab mindset. Your body is more than just your chest, back and abs.

You will get stronger (up to a point) in only those select muscle groups with those exercises. They may help your climbing to a very small degree, but they will not do so in the sense of improving your climbing skill.

No, you should not do them "every day" and reps of 100 make even less sense. (I'm not really sure why you even tossed out that number, either.)

kane_schutzman

Jan 22, 2009, 7:21 AM
Post #9 of 50 (14710 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] push-ups/pull-ups/abs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think anyone is implying that its going to help your "skill". Obviously one thing can help that. I would have to disagree though. While someone may can do better stuff, the simplicity, and convienence of these make them that much better. I have had great succes with overall strength gains, and since I'm not a professional climber I don't really give a fuck about just getting the perfect body for climbing. Anyways, my two cents. Man, if your going for some type of training to be done on climbing"off" days. These are good. I'm no doctor though. Take it easy.

kane_schutzman

Jan 22, 2009, 7:23 AM
Post #10 of 50 (14708 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kane_schutzman] push-ups/pull-ups/abs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Pushups, and pullups to failure. Count your reps, two weeks I say you will see an increase.

scottydo

Jan 22, 2009, 8:05 AM
Post #11 of 50 (14696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Honestly, the thing that will help your climbing the most....is climbing.

Situps will help some. Gotta get that core strength. but like others have said, there's more than just back, chest, and abs.

(This post was edited by scottydo on Jan 22, 2009, 8:06 AM)

implant

Jan 22, 2009, 1:39 PM
Post #12 of 50 (14660 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scottydo] push-ups/pull-ups/abs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

push ups and abs are pretty important, in my experience. more important than pull ups. the purpose of pushups isnt necessarily to get stronger but it will help prevent tendon injuries to some degree. and doing abs helps with, yanno, staying really tight when you need to. pullups do help strengthen shoulders if you do them in a healthy moderation.

keinangst

Jan 22, 2009, 2:44 PM
Post #13 of 50 (14634 views)
Shortcut

Re: [implant] push-ups/pull-ups/abs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do L-pullups and let me know how your abs feel the next day. While we're working on an overhead bar, try some hanging leg raises, or better yet, knees-to-elbows for FULL trunk flexion.

On the pushup side, it will help balance your shoulder and torso development. There are about 10 different hand positions you can try, from traditional to wide-grip to pseudo-planche. All are good. If you're feeling really sporty, try some planche progressions and maybe work your way up to a press-to-handstand.

Do both of those and you'll probably never feel the need to do another crunch or situp again.

headchop

Jan 22, 2009, 4:06 PM
Post #14 of 50 (14582 views)
Shortcut

Re: [keinangst] push-ups/pull-ups/abs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Pullups - useful for getting stronger at lock offs. But certainly not the best way to train lock offs.

Pushups - antagonist training, helps prevent tendonitis due to muscle imbalance. Should include other antagonist exercises.

Abs - very important, and not just on overhangs. Should really work overall core strength, not just abs.

I'd recommend doing more than just those exercises but they should be better than nothing. Supplemental training will almost certainly make a difference in your climbing ability.

implant

Jan 22, 2009, 4:08 PM
Post #15 of 50 (14579 views)
Shortcut

Re: [keinangst] push-ups/pull-ups/abs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i do the L's bro. when i work my abs i generally concentrate on my obliques - not so much for climbing as to just look sexy. mmm

lena_chita

Jan 22, 2009, 4:39 PM
Post #16 of 50 (14551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends on what kind of climbing you are trying to improve, and to what level.

If you really boulder V5 and sport-climb 5.10a, and your goal is to sport-climb 5.11 ( for example), then forget pushups and pullups, train endurance, and you will be sending those 5.11s in no time. And many 5.12s, too, since V5 is harder than any single move you find on a 5.12.

Pullups, pushups, abs, and other isolated exercises help you with climbing only if the strength of those muscles is the limiting factor that keeps you from climbing better. It is rarely the case. But these things are not absolute, and there is a "buffer zone", so to speak. In that buffer zone, you might get a one-two letter grade improvement by training pull-ups.

implant

Jan 22, 2009, 5:31 PM
Post #17 of 50 (14514 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] push-ups/pull-ups/abs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
Depends on what kind of climbing you are trying to improve, and to what level.

If you really boulder V5 and sport-climb 5.10a, and your goal is to sport-climb 5.11 ( for example), then forget pushups and pullups, train endurance, and you will be sending those 5.11s in no time. And many 5.12s, too, since V5 is harder than any single move you find on a 5.12.

Pullups, pushups, abs, and other isolated exercises help you with climbing only if the strength of those muscles is the limiting factor that keeps you from climbing better. It is rarely the case. But these things are not absolute, and there is a "buffer zone", so to speak. In that buffer zone, you might get a one-two letter grade improvement by training pull-ups.

i still think it's important to recognize doing those exercises is a way to keep antagonist muscles, tendons, and shoulders healthy.

the best way to keep getting stronger is to stay healthy.

aerili

Jan 22, 2009, 7:21 PM
Post #18 of 50 (14452 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kane_schutzman wrote:
While someone may can do better stuff, the simplicity, and convienence of these make them that much better.

I have had great succes with overall strength gains, and since I'm not a professional climber I don't really give a fuck about just getting the perfect body for climbing.

Oh, you know me so well, kane. The only thing I've ever done is train people for "the perfect body." In fact, that must be the only reason to train muscles other than your chest, back and abs anyhow. (Funny the regular dudes at the gym don't seem to know this.)

OTOH, kane, there are quite a number of full body exercises that can be done without any real equipment, or things just lying around your home/yard. Yesterday I managed to train my hamstrings, quads/glutes, shoulders and chest with only a large rock, a tree stump, two anvil heads, and my own body weight.

I've also trained people using body weight partner training that can work most of the entire body...and it's kinda fun too.

kane_schutzman

Jan 22, 2009, 8:37 PM
Post #19 of 50 (14400 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Please lighten the hell up. Never said I know you, nor do I care about you in any way shape or form. All I was saying is that I've had great success with this. Started doing a lot of this for a military career. Subsequently saw strength gains everywhere, even my climbing. Oh shit! Impossible, no. I don't doubt that you know a lot of other workouts, as do I. But like I said the SIMPLICITY, and CONVIENENCE if anything is enough reason alone to do them. You kinda made a point, as most people don't wanna use a large rock, a tree stump, two anvil heads, just to get the same results. Your complicating things.

rockforlife

Jan 22, 2009, 8:41 PM
Post #20 of 50 (14394 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
kane_schutzman wrote:
While someone may can do better stuff, the simplicity, and convienence of these make them that much better.

I have had great succes with overall strength gains, and since I'm not a professional climber I don't really give a fuck about just getting the perfect body for climbing.

Oh, you know me so well, kane. The only thing I've ever done is train people for "the perfect body." In fact, that must be the only reason to train muscles other than your chest, back and abs anyhow. (Funny the regular dudes at the gym don't seem to know this.)

OTOH, kane, there are quite a number of full body exercises that can be done without any real equipment, or things just lying around your home/yard. Yesterday I managed to train my hamstrings, quads/glutes, shoulders and chest with only a large rock, a tree stump, two anvil heads, and my own body weight.

I've also trained people using body weight partner training that can work most of the entire body...and it's kinda fun too.

I to did that last night Cool

aerili

Jan 22, 2009, 9:04 PM
Post #21 of 50 (14375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Yeah, I know, sooo complicated. But I'm pretty sure doing push-ups and sit-ups won't get you the "same results" as what I did for some lower body stability and strength with two extra implements.

That's why people like me are hired to train people like you (and your fitness directors) in the military. True story.

xkolex

Jan 23, 2009, 12:49 AM
Post #22 of 50 (14316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok well first of all i am really into bouldering right now and thats all i have been doing. i am actually going to a comp tom. in sacramento at pipeworks!! really stoked wish me luck. but anyways i was just asking this because i have the simulator hangboard and do a lot of pull ups and movements on it and i do a lot of abs everytime i am on it.. and i just said the push up thing just to maybe even it out a little bit. and i do have tendonittis in my left elbow. and the number 100 was just a completely random number. i usually do about 50 pullups straight and slowly lower down each time. then abs i do straight leg raises and hanging side crunches when im not doing like (routes) on the hangboard. but also i dont want any fighting in here lol so everyone just SIMMER down haaha. but yeah thanks for the comments and keep em coming.

guangzhou

Jan 23, 2009, 1:20 AM
Post #23 of 50 (14290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

While it's true that climbing is the best way to improve climbing, anything you do to increase your strenght will also help to some extent.

Alex L, who was the best all around climber I can think of, would do pull-up sets daily. Hundreds from what I remember. Worked for him.

Push ups also help if you climb alot because they help develop the chest muscle. This counter acts the Hump back affect you get from having a strong back and weak chest.

Cheers

addicted2alpine

Jan 23, 2009, 1:48 AM
Post #24 of 50 (14277 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] push-ups/pull-ups/abs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

your program is one of the most common imbalanced programs that, for some reason, so many people think is great.

i dont get it.

aerili is right. there is a lot more to effective training.

just because an exercise is convenient and simple doesnt mean its good, especially to do everyday.

xkolex, you can go ahead and keep doing this program and you will likely see strength gains but you will also be more susceptible to injury. unless you are very untrained to start, your gains will not likely be substantial enough to see a marked improvement in your climbing ability and this program definately wont improve overall athleticism and full body power.

Partner angry

Jan 23, 2009, 1:52 AM
Post #25 of 50 (14271 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
angry in 2004, though at the time he was known as fshizzle, but who's paying attention to that shit anyway wrote:
First you take a rats ass, then you give it. Take said rats ass and give it once again. I'd suggest giving a rats ass 50 times for 4 sets. That'll get you.

Still so true

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook