Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Australia-bound
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

sunsation

Nov 18, 2002, 10:44 PM
Post #1 of 11 (2807 views)
Shortcut

Australia-bound  (North_America: United_States: Wyoming: Western_Wy_: Sinks_Canyon: The_Citadel)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm heading to the land down under at the end of March. Will be attending a wedding in Sydney and would LOVE to get some climbing in. What are the conditions like at that time of the year? And what climbing areas should I be checking out? Oh and I may need a climbing partner or two as well...

shawkshaw

Nov 19, 2002, 9:27 AM
Post #2 of 11 (2807 views)
Shortcut

Australia-bound [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey there,
March is good to climb. As is all year really in sydney although summer involves shade searching. do you trad climb or sport. the blue mountains has it all! heaps of greta trad lines although the snadstone is soft so gear can be scary but not everywhere. there is heaps of sport climbing in the blueys with some great 300m + adventure sport routes. If your just in NSW-sydney region then Nowra is great although don't take your rack. all nice shiny rings there. Point perpendicular is superb. mixture trad and sport. (see orangeoverhang s profile for some pics of it) its got a real adventure feel as the sea crashes down below you. if you need a partner then im keen. although probably inly wekends in march as im still studying at UNI. anyway specify what sort of climbing you like and grades and ill be more specific
steve

phil_nev

Nov 19, 2002, 11:46 AM
Post #3 of 11 (2807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Come to the gramps, or araps... best climbing in aus....
Only it's in melbourne, not sydney

sunsation

Nov 19, 2002, 3:54 PM
Post #4 of 11 (2807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, climbing over there sounds really amazing. If I keep hearing things like 'climbing with the ocean crashing below you' and the like, I'm not going to be able to sleep between now and March! Too sweeeet!

I'm a pretty solid 5.10b/c climber (your 19, 20?). I have been strictly a sport climber up until recently, when I was introduced to the wonders of multi-pitch trad climbing. That was at the end of our outdoor season here so I'm not trad climbing at a level where I'm placing gear, yet.

And as far as Melbourne goes, there is a small chance I might be there as well...

atg200

Nov 19, 2002, 6:30 PM
Post #5 of 11 (2807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the blueys are great. i did some fun sport climbing there, and a great very easy long trad route on the three sisters near katoomba. there is some pretty interesting sea cliff climbing right in sydney that scared the s--- out of me - anybody out there climb at the gap or places like that much?

shawkshaw

Nov 20, 2002, 12:35 AM
Post #6 of 11 (2807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah i climb at Diamond bay a bit. its got some good climbs. havn't bothered with the Gap yet but maybe on summers day i might. they are all pretty scaty though as bolts are somtimes suspect and rock likewise.
steve

shawkshaw

Nov 20, 2002, 12:57 AM
Post #7 of 11 (2807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh yeah and climbing is now banned on the three sisters due to 'rock degradation'. its a pity but there is heaps of better climbing in the blueys anyhow.
steve

klimberbob

Dec 14, 2002, 12:42 AM
Post #8 of 11 (2807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The bluies are good and close to sydney - only about 1 hr by train. If you go south of sydney, forget Nowra unless you like getting stuff stolen and short steep sport, BUT if going south, and want some of the best climing in aus, go to point perp and scare the sh*t out of yourself with some serious atmosphere and exposure - check out the point perp site in the NSW area description. if you have more time, go to Arapalies or the grampians - both near each other. Arps is the premier pplace in aust for trad at all grades - so if you are getting into trad, araps is the best - you will also be able to find people at the campsite to climb with.
the only issue is that outside the bluies, everywhere else could get kinda hot in march...

wes_allen

Jan 26, 2003, 10:19 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What is the climbing like there in June - Sept.? Would that be a good time to spend a couple months climbing, or would it be better to wait until later in the fall.

Wes

shawkshaw

Feb 11, 2003, 2:30 AM
Post #10 of 11 (2807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbing is good thet time of year. its cold but not freezing so friction isn't bad. if the blue mountains are too cold you can head to the costal crgas to enjoy the climate

steve

Partner philbox

Feb 11, 2003, 2:46 AM
Post #11 of 11 (2807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Head up to Queensland during winter as that is when our season really cranks. Frog Buttress is the place to come for crack climbing with about 300 climbs in a compact area. Glasshouse Mountains are the bomb for multipitch routes. The days are simply superb for climbing from Autumn to Spring. We usually don`t have much rain during winter and the days are sunny and warm with the nights being comfortably cool.

...Phil...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook