RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

bigblue

Feb 5, 2009, 2:43 AM
Post #1 of 25 (7299 views)
Shortcut

core workouts?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

so my back and arms are pretty much set, but i've never been able to really get my core under control---> aka, pudge.

any suggestions on a workout plan JUST for my core? ive got the otr shit on lock

thanks

Valarc

Feb 5, 2009, 2:52 AM
Post #2 of 25 (7292 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigblue] core workouts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

bigblue wrote:
so my back and arms are pretty much set, but i've never been able to really get my core under control---> aka, pudge.

any suggestions on a workout plan JUST for my core? ive got the otr shit on lock

thanks

Pudge has nothing to do with the strength of your core.

Do you want to strengthen your core to improve your climbing, or do you want to lose your beer belly? The exercises you do for the two goals will be quite different.

iron106

Feb 5, 2009, 3:01 AM
Post #3 of 25 (7288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I really dislike the word "core" where did that come from? It is such a trendy thing. All these crazy exercises out there are always targeting the 'core'. Work your core... Get that core... Are these all infomercials?

Please explain it too me.

fxgranite

Feb 5, 2009, 3:01 AM
Post #4 of 25 (7288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

what Valarc said ^^

I've always heard that targeting specific areas doesn't necessarily remove fat (pudge) from those areas. If you want to remove your pudge I suggest aerobic excersise.

EDIT: someone posted before me and my slow typing...

(This post was edited by fxgranite on Feb 5, 2009, 3:02 AM)

andrewG

Feb 5, 2009, 3:51 AM
Post #5 of 25 (7248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bigblue wrote:

You crack me up.

I'm pretty sure you are screwed. I've never seen a core exercise that didn't require using arms and/or legs. Except some pilates and kegel exercises.

Ains

Feb 5, 2009, 4:49 AM
Post #6 of 25 (7224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the first question is always what's the goal? Look good? OR perform some activity better? If the latter then climbing specific activities like double arm lock offs allowing legs to kick off the wall and returning them is a good climbing specific one can do on plastic. Food for thought: THE number 1 core stabilization muscle is actually your diaphragm followed by transverse abdominis followed by pelvic floor. Most people will not tell you this nor know what it means to strengthen your diaphragm or why. Your entire movement pattern as a homeosapien is driven by the position of your diaphragm and its lack of dome shape on the left which perpetuates a weak L abdominal wall. In short, climb more overhangs-ha and breath deeply especially long on the exhale.

gogounou

Feb 5, 2009, 5:40 PM
Post #7 of 25 (7158 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andrewG] core workouts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

andrewG wrote:
bigblue wrote:

You crack me up.

I'm pretty sure you are screwed. I've never seen a core exercise that didn't require using arms and/or legs. Except some pilates and kegel exercises.

Did someone say kegels?

roy_hinkley_jr

Feb 5, 2009, 6:15 PM
Post #8 of 25 (7127 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iron106] core workouts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

iron106 wrote:
I really dislike the word "core" where did that come from? It is such a trendy thing. All these crazy exercises out there are always targeting the 'core'. Work your core... Get that core... Are these all infomercials?

"Core" is a term used by trainers who don't know what they are talking about and can't identify the muscles they are targeting. It is closely tied with yoga and pilates teachers because they promote long, lean muscles instead of short, bulky ones. Other trainers get core by working the lower abs instead of the upper abs. Lately the functional fitness crowd has gotten core with exercises that are inefficient and counterproductive. But the core thing sounds good so it's important to keep mentioning it in every paragraph when talking to clients.

(This post was edited by roy_hinkley_jr on Feb 5, 2009, 6:17 PM)

blurricus

Feb 5, 2009, 6:22 PM
Post #9 of 25 (7119 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andrewG] core workouts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I always knew "core" as abs and lower back. Diaphragm is INCREDIBLY important though. So, I would say focus on your abs for your "core" if your legs and arms and lower back are fine.
Breathing, aka: diaphragm, is so important though, that Mr. Miyagi mentioned it in Karate Kid II.

keinangst

Feb 5, 2009, 6:40 PM
Post #10 of 25 (7103 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blurricus] core workouts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I always thought the best core stuff was via things that are non-core-targeted. At least that way you're getting a lot done, rather than lying on the ground doing hundreds of situps or crunches.

Deadlifts (traditional and stiff-legged)
L-pullups
Power cleans (and regular ones w/full squat. Ouch)

The only targeted one I like is doing situps on a roman chair with slight hyperextension at the bottom. Owwwww.

bigblue

Feb 5, 2009, 6:43 PM
Post #11 of 25 (7096 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i was thinkin i wanna build a stronger core bc one certain route i was doing the otr day, i had my right heel hooked and my hands were matched on a decent hold, i had to struggle a LOT to make it to the next hold and i realized that with stronger abs i couldve probably just blazed that move. the move is tough to describe but i noticed right then that i need to start workin on abs

-bottom line, need stronger abs/lower back... but a flat stomach would be nice too

bigblue

Feb 5, 2009, 6:45 PM
Post #12 of 25 (7092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

and how does on go abt working out their diaphram?

jsunmatthews

Feb 5, 2009, 6:49 PM
Post #13 of 25 (7090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Though commonly used to refer to the abs and lower-back muscles collectively (considered the epicenter of the body ), the term "core" actually applies to several muscles throughout the upper and lower body. The transverse abdominis, rectus abdominis (your six-pack muscle), internal obliques, multifidus, spinal erectors, lats, glutes, and traps can be considered core muscles.

I actually put together a pretty decent full body routine that I do every other day that has helped my climbing and general fitness considerably. I've attached the spreadsheet version if anybody wants to try it. Basically it provides a general purpose strength building set of exercises with a slightly higher focus on areas that I felt i needed the most improvement in: forearms (for grip strength), back, and shoulders.

The first 8 exercises you do 3 sets of 15 with only 30 seconds rest between all of them. It really blasts you, I'm sweatin' buckets halfway through it. Start off with less weight than you think you need or you won't get through all three.

Then I take a 2-5 minute break depending on how much I drank the night before. =)

Follows is a mostly upper body concentration. The goal is to do 50 of each. I can't quite do that yet, so I break it into sets of as much as I possibly can and then take 60 second breaks till I am done. So for example I'll do 30 pullups. vomit, wait a minute, do the remaining 20, etc. For the one legged squats I do 50 total, so 25 on each side.

Then I do a super light weight shoulder exercise. I started off with like 20 pounds because you want to all five in a row without stopping. I usually take 60 second beaks after the five too, as I do all five THREE times.

What's nice about this routine is it won't make you bulky but will build a lot of good lean muscle and, at least for me, really pump the muscles I use most when climbing.

In the first two weeks of doing it I dropped 3 pounds, mostly in the ol' mid section. Nothing magical, just a solid sweat fest.

My goal is to eventually break into the 13 range, something I have yet to be able to do.

Of course, all this said, the best way to get in shape and become a better climber is to climb everyday. I wish! =)

I anybody wants to try the workouts but doesn't know what all the exercises are, just pm me and I'll explain.

Good luck!
Attachments: workout.xls (18.0 KB)

blurricus

Feb 5, 2009, 6:52 PM
Post #14 of 25 (7085 views)
Shortcut

Re: [keinangst] core workouts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I like to do a variety. Ones that target abs while on the ground, ones that target abs while standing, ones that are stationary abs that keep them tense, and ones that are active. Variety is what's important here.

But my routine is usually doing leg throws, leg lifts, side sit-ups, opposite arm to opposite leg, bicycles, and butterfly kicks. Then I do my yoga, which has plenty of lower back and ab work.

Deadlifts
L-pullups
Power cleans

These are all amazing. I greatly enjoy these. Do you ever do any Turkish deadlifts? I believe that's what it's called. Lying on the ground with a weight in one hand at your side, and you have to stand all the way up with the weight in the air (during the entire process).

Good ab work out! I like your style too, keinangst. I don't know what the roman chair one is with a slight hyperextension, unless it's just what I know as the hanging sit-up.

jsunmatthews

Feb 5, 2009, 6:53 PM
Post #15 of 25 (7085 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jsunmatthews] core workouts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Woops! I just realized the spreadheat has a type. "BENTOVER MILITARY PRESS" should read "BENTOVER BARBELL ROW." My bad.

keinangst

Feb 5, 2009, 7:01 PM
Post #16 of 25 (7075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've tried the "Turkish get-up" as part of warmups before. Definitely a humbling exercise for the whole body.

The situps I'm talking about are probably the same thing you call hanging situps--just back extensions, but in reverse (situps with no external back support).

Regular situps tend to hurt my tailbone on hard floors, but the hanging situps are great.

bigblue

Feb 5, 2009, 8:03 PM
Post #17 of 25 (7037 views)
Shortcut

Re: [keinangst] core workouts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wow, killer feedback guys. i greatly appreciate this. esp the spreadsheet, i would say ill start these workouts tomoro, but thank God ill be climbing for the next three nights (HELL YEAH!!!) so ill begin this torture next week. anymore advice would still be appreciated tho

blurricus

Feb 5, 2009, 8:26 PM
Post #18 of 25 (7015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BigBlue, I whole-heartedly agree. The technique and training forum is one of the big reasons I decided to join this forum. This is probably one of the best threads I've seen so far, thanks for starting it. I think it would be nice if a lot of people made spreadsheets of their training schedule. Maybe I should make one tonight!

I would look up specific breathing excercises for your diaphragm, and practice those. You can do them anywhere, really. Also, I like to do a lot of bouldering for my core. Just some easy ceiling work helps a lot. Like you were talking about, heel hooks and such.

Is anyone else interested in making an excel spreadsheet of training?

bigblue

Feb 5, 2009, 10:14 PM
Post #19 of 25 (6993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dude ill make on, but my workout varies due to my mood and varying lvls of determination. ill ef post a gen spreadsheet.

guys killer thread, im lovin it
^-damn i hate mcdonalds for coining that^

bigblue

Feb 9, 2009, 1:36 AM
Post #20 of 25 (6867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i did the workout i received via, ppt, sore for 2 days, no shit man. thats good stuff man. esp the 1-legged squats, holy crap!

rockforlife

Feb 9, 2009, 1:56 AM
Post #21 of 25 (6857 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just wondering when you do the pistol, if you ever add weight. It helps on the way down, but is really hard coming up.

also make sure, Butt down leg out. not that half ass stuff people do.

(This post was edited by rockforlife on Feb 9, 2009, 1:56 AM)

jsunmatthews

Feb 9, 2009, 3:05 AM
Post #22 of 25 (6819 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockforlife] core workouts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No I don't add weight yet, it's hard enough getting through 50 of those *#&#&*! things with my own fat irish ass. I would also think that if you held weights in both hands that would actually make it easier to balance, don't you think? The balance aspect of it is really why I love that simple exercise so much. I would like to try maybe holding one dumbbell in front of me, but that's gonna have to wait.

And yes, form on this one is muy importante. But that said, for people who can't do these super well to start, I think giving it your best attempt is good. My wife does them with a small broomstick in one hand touching the ground because she can't quite do them solo yet, but even that works the crap out of her. Mmm...healthy wife butt. =)

rockforlife

Feb 9, 2009, 3:30 AM
Post #23 of 25 (6806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jsunmatthews wrote:
No I don't add weight yet, it's hard enough getting through 50 of those *#&#&*! things with my own fat irish ass. I would also think that if you held weights in both hands that would actually make it easier to balance, don't you think? The balance aspect of it is really why I love that simple exercise so much. I would like to try maybe holding one dumbbell in front of me, but that's gonna have to wait.

Yeah when i do them i use a 35 pound kettlebell. going down can be much easier, but coming up is...well yeah good luck doing 50.Crazy I think i would diePirate

krusher4

Feb 9, 2009, 8:25 PM
Post #24 of 25 (6739 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always kind did my own little 'core' workouts after my climbing workout then I took a pilaties (spell...?) class an man....now I know my core needs mroe work I hurt for 3 days after LOL.

mr.tastycakes

Feb 10, 2009, 11:09 PM
Post #25 of 25 (6675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the best way to get a strong core is through heavy, compound lifts: deadlift, squat, standing overhead press, overhead squats, the olympic lifts, etc. just in case you're one of those ninnies that fears adding "too much bulk" to his chickenlegs, more targeted core exercises that actually focus on strength can be found here: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/21st_century_core_training

Unfortunately, the raw strength of your core muscles probably isn't what's holding you back Rather it's a lack of coordination and timing that's causing you to miss the move. For example you may be losing body tension when you actually make the move by unknowingly relaxing your abs or a limb.

In the end, max strength doesn't have much to do with it. I know many climbers who are much weaker than me and yet are far better climbers. Infinitely better, really...I suckUnsure However, you'll never hear me bitching about carrying a heavy pack on a long approach, or god forbid, having to walk "the stairmaster" at the gunks. Sly

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook