Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

littlemissme14

Feb 9, 2009, 3:55 AM
Post #1 of 35 (3022 views)
Shortcut

breakfast food
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i've tried almost everything for breakfast.(eggs and bacon, hardees, muffins and oj) it seems no matter what on days when i go climbing i get bad stomach aches. They make it hard to eat and drink during the day. (usually accompanied by a good shitting when i get home)

its gotten to the point where it affects my climbing. this doesnt seem to happen consistently during my every day life (but it does sometimes, maybe once per month) but it does happen EVERY time i go climbing. any tips about what i am or am not eating?

maldaly

Feb 9, 2009, 4:09 AM
Post #2 of 35 (3014 views)
Shortcut

Re: [littlemissme14] breakfast food [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Try eating nothing before you leave. That works pretty well for me. Lara Bars at the base seem to fill in the day.
Mal

pbnjonny

Feb 9, 2009, 4:55 AM
Post #3 of 35 (2993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

are you eating the same things you eat everyday for breakfast? I usually only eat a small breakfast when I'm climbing such as an oatmeal packet or clif bar, then just eat clif bars through the day with a filling dinner.

could the stomach ached be caused by something like excitedness/nervousness about your day of climbing?

andrewG

Feb 9, 2009, 5:03 AM
Post #4 of 35 (2987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I'd say eat something small and high carb. Stay away from high fat and high protein foods as they can take longer to digest (hardees and eggs with bacon are probably less than ideal). Lots of fiber can also give me stomach aches, so that might be good to avoid. I've really only had a few bad stomach aches, notable ones being post buckwheat pancakes and eggs with bacon. Try going with your breakfast cereal of choice or oatmeal. Waiting longer between eating and the approach/climbing should help too.

Could also be psychosomatic. My brother's stomach gets upset when we are going climbing and he pretty much eats the same breakfast every day.

blurricus

Feb 9, 2009, 3:18 PM
Post #5 of 35 (2923 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How often do you go climbing? Are you over tightening your muscles? Are you making yourself nervous?
I would say that Hardees is a bad idea. But then again, I eat plain rolled oats oatmeal for breakfast every day. It's a slow-digest protein, so it depends on how long you eat it before you climb.
Or, just make sure you're breathing right and aren't clenching your stomach the whole time. Other than that, I have no idea what's happening. Good luck.

altelis

Feb 9, 2009, 7:41 PM
Post #6 of 35 (2860 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pbnjonny] breakfast food [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pbnjonny wrote:
are you eating the same things you eat everyday for breakfast? I usually only eat a small breakfast when I'm climbing such as an oatmeal packet or clif bar, then just eat clif bars through the day with a filling dinner.

could the stomach ached be caused by something like excitedness/nervousness about your day of climbing?

i don't get this approach, personally, unless you are doing LONG routes fast and light EVERY time you climb.

i personally find real food to work just as well, be way less expensive, requires drinking way less water and.........wait for it......wait for it...........WAY more enjoyable to eat.

pack a sandwich. some gorp. my personal favorite is bringing cheese, salami and chocolate. i'm telling you the french/swiss know how to pack for a day in the mountains.

krusher4

Feb 9, 2009, 7:47 PM
Post #7 of 35 (2858 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maldaly] breakfast food [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

maldaly wrote:
Try eating nothing before you leave. That works pretty well for me. Lara Bars at the base seem to fill in the day.
Mal

I've tried eating nothing but I always run out of juice. For awhile now I'll have a peanut butter, banana and honey sandwich, this seems to keep me going pretty well. I've kinda started to give up 'bar food' a little bit opting for a turkey sammie, or I'll bring sushi, point is for me real food give me more energy then bar food in the long run.

ryanb

Feb 9, 2009, 8:04 PM
Post #8 of 35 (2846 views)
Shortcut

Re: [krusher4] breakfast food [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Real food and locally produced if you can swing it. Bars and goo are okay for long routes but any one who says they actually like them needs to learn to make a sandwich .

To the op: It sounds like you are holding it in all day because there is no bathroom at the crag?

Learn how to poo in the woods or...

Drink coffee. So you poo before you start. I have a messed up stomach from some time in south america and a cup of coffee in the morning is pretty much the only thing that lets me get it all out before i get on the rock.

Back to food. I'm a breakfast fiend...I'm type one diabetic and i find that no meal has greater effect on how my blood sugars act through out the day and how i climb...I absolutely need protean and some complex carbs to keep me stable throughout the day. No sugar unless i am staring moving immediately, save that for quick energy alter in the day.

What works for me is usually two pieced of toast with peanut butter or eggs (poached or fried) and cheese depending on how much time i have.

If i am camping i might replace the toast with oatmeal with peanut-butter stirred in or granola (with dehydrated milk) and a couple of hard boiled eggs. Both granola and oatmeal can have way too much sugar and simple carbs... go as unprocessed and unsweetened as you can and avoid granola with puffed rice in it.

shockabuku

Feb 9, 2009, 8:36 PM
Post #9 of 35 (2820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe the waist belt on your harness is constricting your digestive processes. This bothers me from time to time. I generally don't do all day routes so I just make sure to take off the harness while walking from one route to another.

krusher4

Feb 9, 2009, 8:49 PM
Post #10 of 35 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] breakfast food [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When I have a long route planned I will always carb load the night before. Then I can get away with only eating small snacks and I'll have energy to burn. For long routes it pays to eat/train a bit like a runner or cyclist.

Carnage

Feb 9, 2009, 8:58 PM
Post #11 of 35 (2800 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] breakfast food [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

so my bad, i just realized i posted this on my g/f account not mine. sorry about that.

i've tried oatmeal or other complex carbs, along with a banana, and this gave me ok results...

as for shitting in the woods... im talking about my asshole exploding kind of shitting, not the kind i want to deal with without a porcelain shit receptacle.

i climb a lot-ish (2 times a month outside, 2-3 times a week inside) is so i dont think it should really be my nerves causing it (although i agree, this seems to be the only other logical explanation). it happens when sporting or top-roping at the crag i've been to 100 times, or tradding in less familiar territory.

i have trouble not eating at least some protein at breakfast for an active day. i seem to digest the carbs (complex or simple) fast enough to make me start really feeling hungry soon after (1hr or so after eating)

honestly though.... i probably havnt been keeping as much track to it as much as i should have. i pretty much only remember how crappy i felt all day, and that i happens whenever i go climbing

Partner cracklover

Feb 9, 2009, 9:16 PM
Post #12 of 35 (2785 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's not polite, but I don't know how to say this any better. What you need is to train yourself to take a nice dump in the morning after you eat breakfast but before you start climbing. No more stomach ache, you can fit a good hearty breakfast in there - all's well with the world.

If I don't get my morning constitutional, no way am I going to climb well. And I typically drink a nice black coffee, and have plenty of meat, carbs, and fat for breakfast.

Works for me. (shrug)

GO

Toast_in_the_Machine

Feb 9, 2009, 9:29 PM
Post #13 of 35 (2781 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Carnage] breakfast food [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome to the world of irritable bowles. And your prize is ... f**k all. Among the most common umbrela syndroms, it is not truely diagnosed. It is assigned when other known diseases (Krohn's) are eliminated. Have fun with that colonoscopy!

Basically your advice will be to keep a food journal and don't eat those things that are triggers. A quick google search will lead you to lots of other advice. Most of which is crap.

Good luck.

Oh, and I suggest a plain white bread.

bandycoot

Feb 9, 2009, 9:49 PM
Post #14 of 35 (2761 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] breakfast food [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If it only happens when you climb, could you be nervous thus affecting your stomach? If your stomach doesn't act up on other athletic days, what does that mean for climbing? Are you waking up earlier on your climbing days? When I wake up early and try to eat breakfast, my stomach feels a little funny also. Just food for thought!

Toast_in_the_Machine

Feb 9, 2009, 9:53 PM
Post #15 of 35 (2759 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ryanb] breakfast food [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

for ryanb

And how exactly do "Real foods and locally produced" solve this problem?

Or is that an answer you give for all food-ish problems?

rhythm164

Feb 9, 2009, 10:03 PM
Post #16 of 35 (2749 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bandycoot] breakfast food [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nervousness might have something to do with it. I get nervous stomach on the day I know I'm going to try for a hard redpoint, and sometimes I get stomach aches too on climbing days. You might try eating something a little less heavy. Oatmeal is good, maybe throw some fruit in it, try to balance out some foods with high and low glycemic indices. It'll boost you up in the morning, and give you sustained energy. Basically I just had to experiment until you find the right combo of foods, maybe that's what you need to do too.

cheers,
A

ryanb

Feb 9, 2009, 10:14 PM
Post #17 of 35 (2739 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
for ryanb

All i know is what worked for me after years of pretty much constant diarrhea. (I once had to shit in full view of a romantic interest on our 2nd date/first multi pitch climb together.)

Your millage may vary but I think less processed, fresh in season foods simply digest at a more regular rate and are less likely to be contaminated or spoiled.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Feb 9, 2009, 10:35 PM
Post #18 of 35 (2726 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ryanb wrote:
for ryanb

All i know is what worked for me after years of pretty much constant diarrhea. (I once had to shit in full view of a romantic interest on our 2nd date/first multi pitch climb together.)

Your millage may vary but I think less processed, fresh in season foods simply digest at a more regular rate and are less likely to be contaminated or spoiled.

I hear that story brother, got some myself, but why drag this thread down?

I buy the fresh and simple, but not the contaminated. Peanut Butter, until 2 years ago was considerd a practically idiot proof to manufacture.

ryanb

Feb 9, 2009, 11:17 PM
Post #19 of 35 (2703 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ryanb wrote:
for ryanb

I buy the fresh and simple, but not the contaminated. Peanut Butter, until 2 years ago was considerd a practically idiot proof to manufacture.

If we have a rockclimbing.com "how quick can you get 100 meter from running water and digg a six inch hole competition," maybe metolius will sponsor it (funny)..

Let me see if I can convince you on the contamination issue. I haven't seen any studies on it but i think the argument is sound.

The idea is that, at the moment, the main cause of contamination is lax standards caused by the anoninimity of food production.

One major source of contamination is ingredients that are sourced from areas with laxer hygiene or environmental standards (like the chinese powdered milk scare this last fall.)

Another major source of contamination is high density agriculture...if there is more shit around your food you are more likely to end up eating some of it. We have standards and practices in place to prevent this (pasteurization, agricultural antibiotic use, regular inspection) but they clearly don't always work (as we have seen with peanut butter, spinach, beef...)

Buying from smaller local, non anonymous, producers generally means you are paying a bit more for something produced in a less high density environment. In practical terms you are eliminating the time cows spend in packed in shit filled feed lots and train cars and supporting people who notice if one of their neighbors starts dumping in their water supply...

It would be unsafe to drink un-pasteurized milk from a factory dairy farm but i feel fine drinking raw milk from the healthy, un-medicated cows at a small, low yield farm near one of the spots i climb (it even has "good bacteria" that help digest it).

As an added bonus, you also get a richer complement of nutrients from food grown through crop-rotation etc then from food fertilized with synthetic compounds.

Health Farm, Healthy Animals, Healthy Plants = Healthy Guts = Healthy Poo = More Long Routes

Carnage

Feb 10, 2009, 1:29 AM
Post #20 of 35 (2664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ryanb wrote:
ryanb wrote:
for ryanb

If we have a rockclimbing.com "how quick can you get 100 meter from running water and digg a six inch hole competition," maybe metolius will sponsor it (funny)..

Let me see if I can convince you on the contamination issue. I haven't seen any studies on it but i think the argument is sound.

The idea is that, at the moment, the main cause of contamination is lax standards caused by the anoninimity of food production.

One major source of contamination is ingredients that are sourced from areas with laxer hygiene or environmental standards (like the chinese powdered milk scare this last fall.)

Another major source of contamination is high density agriculture...if there is more shit around your food you are more likely to end up eating some of it. We have standards and practices in place to prevent this (pasteurization, agricultural antibiotic use, regular inspection) but they clearly don't always work (as we have seen with peanut butter, spinach, beef...)

Buying from smaller local, non anonymous, producers generally means you are paying a bit more for something produced in a less high density environment. In practical terms you are eliminating the time cows spend in packed in shit filled feed lots and train cars and supporting people who notice if one of their neighbors starts dumping in their water supply...

It would be unsafe to drink un-pasteurized milk from a factory dairy farm but i feel fine drinking raw milk from the healthy, un-medicated cows at a small, low yield farm near one of the spots i climb (it even has "good bacteria" that help digest it).

As an added bonus, you also get a richer complement of nutrients from food grown through crop-rotation etc then from food fertilized with synthetic compounds.

Health Farm, Healthy Animals, Healthy Plants = Healthy Guts = Healthy Poo = More Long Routes

yea im not doing that, what else you got?

i eat regular non-organic food everyday, only have this problem when i climb, so i dont think its from the supposed harsh chemicals or dangerous contaminants in my food.

jsj7051

Feb 10, 2009, 2:14 AM
Post #21 of 35 (2639 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Carnage wrote:
so my bad, i just realized i posted this on my g/f account not mine. sorry about that.

i've tried oatmeal or other complex carbs, along with a banana, and this gave me ok results...

as for shitting in the woods... im talking about my asshole exploding kind of shitting, not the kind i want to deal with without a porcelain shit receptacle.

i climb a lot-ish (2 times a month outside, 2-3 times a week inside) is so i dont think it should really be my nerves causing it (although i agree, this seems to be the only other logical explanation). it happens when sporting or top-roping at the crag i've been to 100 times, or tradding in less familiar territory.

i have trouble not eating at least some protein at breakfast for an active day. i seem to digest the carbs (complex or simple) fast enough to make me start really feeling hungry soon after (1hr or so after eating)

honestly though.... i probably havnt been keeping as much track to it as much as i should have. i pretty much only remember how crappy i felt all day, and that i happens whenever i go climbing

I do think nerves are involved , excitment is nerves too

OK..........Crap in the early am = eat 2-4 dried figs daily

Don't crap at all that day = eat peanut butter and jelly sandwich befor you go to bed befor you go climb

This has always worked for me, Good Luck

ryanb

Feb 10, 2009, 4:28 AM
Post #22 of 35 (2618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Carnage wrote:

i eat regular non-organic food everyday, only have this problem when i climb, so i dont think its from the supposed harsh chemicals or dangerous contaminants in my food.

Yeah, they make a pill for chronic diarrhea. I saw an add, Its the ones where the old guy is worried about getting on a hot air balloon.

You go climbing and you shit liquid. You don't want to stop climbing so you need to change what you eat.

You need to:
1) Eliminate things that irritate your bowls.

2) Eat food that takes longer to turn into liquid.

Its not rocket science. I do this by eating real food. It doesn't need to be organic, just recognizably made from something alive. Picture what you are eating floating in your stomach acid:

Starchy, sugary highly processed foods dissolve immediately.

Grease is already goo.

Bits of plants and animals stay solid the whole way through.

Oh and coffee to get the party moving when you want it too. Seriously.

scottek67

Feb 10, 2009, 7:42 AM
Post #23 of 35 (2583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

have you tried "Twinkies" and "RedBull"?? you will climb like a maniac for about 2 hours and then need a nap!Wink

Toast_in_the_Machine

Feb 10, 2009, 12:37 PM
Post #24 of 35 (2555 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ryanb wrote:
ryanb wrote:
for ryanb

I've taken it to the soap box

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...d;page=unread#unread

Toast_in_the_Machine

Feb 10, 2009, 12:44 PM
Post #25 of 35 (2553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Carnage wrote:

Mental or not, it is still under IBS. (again it is a broad diagnosis).

Much of the advice would be to stay away from highly acidic (i.e. OJ), highly greasy (i.e. snausages), highly spiced (leftover taco hell burrito), or in need of much digesting (i.e. high fiber). So think of food that is as boring as possible.

Think white bread. Plain, no butter, no jam. Just white bread.

(And my brother will have a whole fried chicken)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook