Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

jose32

Feb 23, 2009, 4:07 AM
Post #1 of 52 (8621 views)
Shortcut

Favorite way of making trad draws?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

Any favorite ways to route and loop the runner when you make a trad draw?

I had a guide show me a cool way, supposedly a bit less likely to foobar with. I can't remember why but when he showed me the normal way vs his suggested way it made sense, but I've forgotten how he did it.

He also had made a little loop on the runner that kept the carabiner from moving.

I did find this
http://www.planetfear.com/...d_Quickdraw_264.html

Which seems to be not a bad way, but not exactly what I was thinking of

thanks

(This post was edited by jose32 on Feb 23, 2009, 4:38 AM)

rockforlife

Feb 23, 2009, 4:11 AM
Post #2 of 52 (8615 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jose32] Favorite way making trad draws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.planetfear.com/...d_Quickdraw_264.html

Wink

jeepnphreak

Feb 23, 2009, 4:43 PM
Post #3 of 52 (8459 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jose32] Favorite way of making trad draws? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Your little link there is exactly how I rack up my trad draws.
it tits, once you clip in and just unclip the free biner and pull the sling to full length.

markcarlson

Feb 23, 2009, 5:01 PM
Post #4 of 52 (8440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Some "safe" and "unsafe" methods can be found here:

Pages 7-9 here:
Edit: Link removed because it is confusing people, and also to prevent further thread resurrection.

That is, unless I'm completely misunderstanding what you're attempting to do.

(This post was edited by markcarlson on May 19, 2009, 12:49 AM)

acorneau

Feb 23, 2009, 5:14 PM
Post #5 of 52 (8424 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markcarlson] Favorite way of making trad draws? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

markcarlson wrote:

Pages 7-9 here:
http://www.alpineclubofcanada.ca/...ok/Chinook-Nov08.pdf

The author brings up a good point about the traditional trad draw (unclipping only one strand could result in lost biner). The simple solution is to always drop out two strands. No matter which two strands, or which biner you pick, it will always come out just right.

hansundfritz

Feb 23, 2009, 6:08 PM
Post #6 of 52 (8377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out Freedom of the Hills, (7e), page 259. I use this system when I want to rack my slings. Most of the time, though, i just carry them around my shoulder. It's not exactly foobar-proof, but in a different way.

moose_droppings

Feb 23, 2009, 6:12 PM
Post #7 of 52 (8373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do carry my trad draws tripled up, except for two of them carried over my shoulder, never had them tangled yet. I've never seen a hole of just 8mm that I'd use to sling to, maybe there's one out there, but I think saying you need to carry 8mm just in case of an 8mm slot is arbitrary. I'd also like to see some data about overloading the biner if your using anything wider than 12mm. I carry all 3/4" nylon trad draws on my main rack. My lite rack does have 8mm draws on it, but don't take as much abuse and need replacing every few years. Next time they're getting replaced with nylon 3/4" too.

(This post was edited by moose_droppings on Feb 23, 2009, 6:14 PM)

denorza2009

Feb 25, 2009, 5:16 PM
Post #8 of 52 (8245 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Favorite way of making trad draws? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good info above, good material for the FAQ I'd suggest.

The linked article does say:

"
I wouldn't go for nylon slings or anything wider than 12mm because it could overload the karabiners.
"

And as moose mentions

moose_droppings wrote:
I'd also like to see some data about overloading the biner if your using anything wider than 12mm. I carry all 3/4" nylon trad draws on my main rack. My lite rack does have 8mm draws on it, but don't take as much abuse and need replacing every few years. Next time they're getting replaced with nylon 3/4" too.

I'd also like to see some data on this or know if it's true. I prefer nylon, and use 18mm black diamonds. Though I'm using them on wire ovals or beefy black diamond Rocklock Screwgate carabiners

I do use spectra slings for non anchor stuff.

donald949

Feb 26, 2009, 1:26 AM
Post #9 of 52 (8167 views)
Shortcut

Re: [denorza2009] Favorite way of making trad draws? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

denorza2009 wrote:
Good info above, good material for the FAQ I'd suggest.

The linked article does say:

"
I wouldn't go for nylon slings or anything wider than 12mm because it could overload the karabiners.
"

And as moose mentions

moose_droppings wrote:
I'd also like to see some data about overloading the biner if your using anything wider than 12mm. I carry all 3/4" nylon trad draws on my main rack. My lite rack does have 8mm draws on it, but don't take as much abuse and need replacing every few years. Next time they're getting replaced with nylon 3/4" too.

I'd also like to see some data on this or know if it's true. I prefer nylon, and use 18mm black diamonds. Though I'm using them on wire ovals or beefy black diamond Rocklock Screwgate carabiners

I do use spectra slings for non anchor stuff.

When I read over load the biner I was huh???
The only thing I can conclude is that they are talking about the biner getting to filled (loaded) up with nylon from the sling. Since the force (load) on the biner is not a factor of the webbing width. Its only dependent on the fall length/climber weight/rope stretch.
Don

jose32

Feb 26, 2009, 2:42 AM
Post #10 of 52 (8131 views)
Shortcut

Re: Favorite way of making trad draws? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wow extremely helpful thanks very much!!! Exactly what i needed.

Curious on the load on the biner comment from the article yes, hope that's not true...

thanks again!

dingus

Feb 26, 2009, 5:04 PM
Post #11 of 52 (8084 views)
Shortcut

Re: Favorite way of making trad draws? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That article is misleading and I don't accept the advice offered.

First of all, he states there is a chance for dropping a biner with the triple-pass thru, claims to illustrate how this can happen (I can't envision it myself). But the example he shows is not a triple pass through but a double with no twist. Completely different scenario.

Also, the sliding x method of doubling has a completely different inherent problem that bears mention:

A common method and indeed on that is illustrated in the article is to unclip one strand and let it drop. I'm sure if you're at all interested in this stuff, you will know that one of the strands extends and the other tightens to a coil around the shaft of the host biner.

With me? When the coil of sling cinches around the shaft of the host biner, the coil will eithe be closer to the gate or not, one or the other (this depends upon which strand was dropped).

If that coil of sling is on the gate side? It can cinch up on the gate hinge itself. This is particularly notable with wire gate biners - more often than not if you drop the strand that causes the loop to be on the gate side? It will cinch on the gate hinge itself, becasue this area in a wiregate has lots of bumps and irregularities to catch on.

That strand, cinched on the gate... in my *opinion* sets up a potential for catastrophic failure of the biner.

I used the sliding x method of doubleing runners for some 2.5 decades. I was shown the pass thru triple but resisted.

Then I started noticing this gate cinching effect - and once noticed, I noticed it A LOT. I also noted it could happen even after the leader took care to insure it didn't - the normal movement of the rope as the leader climbs can and does cause that loop of sling to move around.

So much so in fact that even when doubled? I unclip the cinch loop as a second step, every time now. I've become really paranoid about that cinch loop levering open the gate during a fall.

Eventually I stopped using the sliding x double method entirely in favor of the triple pass thru. The triple method does not produce this 'residual' loop that can (I think) lever open the gate.

Lastly, quad method also shown - I've also used that for decades, literally. Sliding out from quad to double isn't smooth and generally the strands won't self-equalize. I still do it for storage purposes but generally unfurl the entire thing and then reshorten to purpose - I've found this fastrer and less troubesome.

I don't mean to pick that article apart, but I think the observations above are correct.

Comments?

DMT

(This post was edited by dingus on Feb 26, 2009, 5:06 PM)

useless

Feb 26, 2009, 6:49 PM
Post #12 of 52 (8049 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Favorite way of making trad draws? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You're referring to the Orvel Miskiw article in Chinook (the linked PDF) rather than the PlanetFear one, right?

I wasn't keen on the extra loop around the biner in Miskiw's method, just because it seems like it might weaken the sling (thin dyneema probably more than nylon).
The loop interfering with the gate is much more concrete and concerning though.

I can see how it is possible to unclip the wrong loop and drop a carabiner, although only because he omitted the retainer loop mentioned in the PlanetFear article. I just use an elastic band for this, on the rope-end biner, since it isn't load-bearing.
Works for me.

bill413

Feb 26, 2009, 7:07 PM
Post #13 of 52 (8034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in agreement with Dingus. Once I started noticing that coil, it scared me. Flipping it off the biner became my standard practice. But, if you're hanging out doing the extra manipulations that this takes, you start thinking "why?" I like the tripling method much better. Plus, makes the draws carry shorter.

BTW - On the "overloading the biner" - I remember reading an article (printed media - forget where) that pointed out that with D shaped (and modified D) biners, it was best to keep most of the load along the spine of the biner. The gated side was weaker. So, you wanted to arrange a modified D so the rope was at the wide end of the biner, and the nylon draw was at the small end (think about how sport draws are made up), as this would concentrate more of the load along the spine than the other way would.

kennoyce

Feb 26, 2009, 7:44 PM
Post #14 of 52 (7998 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Favorite way of making trad draws? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Since the force (load) on the biner is not a factor of the webbing width. Its only dependent on the fall length/climber weight/rope stretch.

You are correct in stating that the force (load) on the biner is not a factor of the webbing width, but the stresses in the biner are a correlated to the webbing width. The wider the webbing is, the bigger the moment arm from where the force is applied to the spine of the biner which creates higher stresses in the biner (stress = MC/I, you increase M, you increase the stress). I am guessing this is what is being referred to as overloading the biner. I would also like to see some test data on this to see if it is really an issue or not.

tradrenn

Feb 26, 2009, 8:18 PM
Post #15 of 52 (7967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
Then I started noticing this gate cinching effect - and once noticed, I noticed it A LOT. I also noted it could happen even after the leader took care to insure it didn't - the normal movement of the rope as the leader climbs can and does cause that loop of sling to move around.

So much so in fact that even when doubled? I unclip the cinch loop as a second step, every time now. I've become really paranoid about that cinch loop levering open the gate during a fall.

Eventually I stopped using the sliding x double method entirely in favor of the triple pass thru. The triple method does not produce this 'residual' loop that can (I think) lever open the gate.

DMT

I had the same experience as you. I stopped using doubled method about 3 years ago.

The major problem I have with this article is that they recommend/suggest using a rubber thingy on one of the biners, which I think is waste of time, money and energy. Personally I just use a 2" sling with 2 biners. You know, one of those KISS thingies.

donald949

Feb 26, 2009, 11:39 PM
Post #16 of 52 (7939 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] Favorite way of making trad draws? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kennoyce wrote:
In reply to:
Since the force (load) on the biner is not a factor of the webbing width. Its only dependent on the fall length/climber weight/rope stretch.

You are correct in stating that the force (load) on the biner is not a factor of the webbing width, but the stresses in the biner are a correlated to the webbing width. The wider the webbing is, the bigger the moment arm from where the force is applied to the spine of the biner which creates higher stresses in the biner (stress = MC/I, you increase M, you increase the stress). I am guessing this is what is being referred to as overloading the biner. I would also like to see some test data on this to see if it is really an issue or not.
I'm familiar with lever arm, and a longer arm increases the momment on the spine, sure. I hadn't considered that. It would be intersting to see test reports as other have noted.
I think in practice though the difference should be small between 1/2 dynema and 5/8 nylon. Anyrate, a biner *should* be designed to take up to 1 inch webbing. Since that is what is used for anchors, and what I used to tie my runners from. Now if a manfacture does that or not is another question.
Otherwise, I like Dingus' thoughts on the wrap getting caught on the gate. I've never doubled up my runners in that way, I've just hung the foot longs on my harness, and the 2 footers over my shoulder.
Don

markcarlson

Mar 12, 2009, 12:37 AM
Post #17 of 52 (7754 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
That article is misleading and I don't accept the advice offered.

Fair enough, but I don't think you fully understood what was being said. It took me 15 minutes or so to understand what he was talking about with the first two sketches before I realized they are exactly the same thing.

dingus wrote:
First of all, he states there is a chance for dropping a biner with the triple-pass thru, claims to illustrate how this can happen (I can't envision it myself). But the example he shows is not a triple pass through but a double with no twist. Completely different scenario.

Yes, that's where it all falls apart here. They are exactly the same scenerio. Try it and you will see. (Don't just try it once, it's not true in every situation with the triple-pass through, just one of the three possible outcomes when dropping a loop from a triple.)

If you are still having problems envisioning how you can drop the carabiner off the end by unclipping a loop improperly, I'll give you a hint: It involves the released loop pulling through the opposite carabiner and unwinding completely. If you tried it and it didn't work, number the loops with tape and try each one individually.

dingus wrote:

Also, the sliding x method of doubling has a completely different inherent problem that bears mention:

A common method and indeed on that is illustrated in the article is to unclip one strand and let it drop. I'm sure if you're at all interested in this stuff, you will know that one of the strands extends and the other tightens to a coil around the shaft of the host biner.

With me? When the coil of sling cinches around the shaft of the host biner, the coil will eithe be closer to the gate or not, one or the other (this depends upon which strand was dropped).

If that coil of sling is on the gate side? It can cinch up on the gate hinge itself. This is particularly notable with wire gate biners - more often than not if you drop the strand that causes the loop to be on the gate side? It will cinch on the gate hinge itself, becasue this area in a wiregate has lots of bumps and irregularities to catch on.

That strand, cinched on the gate... in my *opinion* sets up a potential for catastrophic failure of the biner.

I used the sliding x method of doubleing runners for some 2.5 decades. I was shown the pass thru triple but resisted.

I'll have to ask him, but I think he would rather unclip the cinch loop than have a partner drop the entire carabiner out of the loop by accident. It's not really a how-to guide, the Chinook is just a small newsletter given to ACC Calgary members, many of whom Orvel climbs with (from absolute beginners to high altitude mountaineers.) In this case, he just wants to make sure people are still thinking about safety, and the articles are not really edited that much.

Also, Orvel has seen or heard of many experienced (and inexperienced) people do things at least this unlikely (dropping the wrong loop from the pass-through triple,) and he's the kind of guy who would rather let people know it's possible than hear about it after they've done it.

dingus wrote:

Lastly, quad method also shown - I've also used that for decades, literally. Sliding out from quad to double isn't smooth and generally the strands won't self-equalize. I still do it for storage purposes but generally unfurl the entire thing and then reshorten to purpose - I've found this fastrer and less troubesome.

I'm not sure what "quad method" you are referring to, there are only two things shown:
1. Pass through
2. 'Safe' method (I'm not sure what the proper term is, sorry)

dingus wrote:

I don't mean to pick that article apart, but I think the observations above are correct.

Comments?

DMT

I think that's exactly the reaction Orvel wanted from the article, people to discuss it, whether they agreed or not! :-)

moose_droppings

Mar 12, 2009, 1:27 AM
Post #18 of 52 (7717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

markcarlson wrote:
If you are still having problems envisioning how you can drop the carabiner off the end by unclipping a loop improperly, I'll give you a hint: It involves the released loop pulling through the opposite carabiner and unwinding completely. If you tried it and it didn't work, number the loops with tape and try each one individually........

Also, Orvel has seen or heard of many experienced (and inexperienced) people do things at least this unlikely (dropping the wrong loop from the pass-through triple,) and he's the kind of guy who would rather let people know it's possible than hear about it after they've done it.

I guess I don't follow your suggestion "dropping the wrong loop from the pass-through triple,". When your trad draw is tripled, you drop any two strands and the draw will become one large loop.
Am I misunderstanding, per usual?

rockandlice

Mar 12, 2009, 2:57 AM
Post #19 of 52 (7674 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradrenn] Favorite way of making trad draws? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tradrenn wrote:
Personally I just use a 2" sling with 2 biners. You know, one of those KISS thingies.

Holy rope drag! Crazy

markcarlson

Mar 12, 2009, 4:11 AM
Post #20 of 52 (7635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
markcarlson wrote:
If you are still having problems envisioning how you can drop the carabiner off the end by unclipping a loop improperly, I'll give you a hint: It involves the released loop pulling through the opposite carabiner and unwinding completely. If you tried it and it didn't work, number the loops with tape and try each one individually........

I guess I don't follow your suggestion "dropping the wrong loop from the pass-through triple,". When your trad draw is tripled, you drop any two strands and the draw will become one large loop.
Am I misunderstanding, per usual?

What I'm saying is you should take two carabiners and a sling (use a loop of cord if you have to,) do the pass-through triple, and hold on to one carabiner. Now, drop one loop off of the carabiner you are holding. If you picked the wrong loop, the lower carabiner will fall away with the sling.

I just tried it with a loop of cord (double fisherman's) and two carabiners and it worked for me. It should even be pretty obvious which loop will do it even before you unclip it.

If you pick a different one, you will be able to turn the 1/3 length into a 1/2 length, even if you accidentally drop the loop.

Orvel was just saying that if you didn't know this could happen, now you know it could happen.

moose_droppings

Mar 12, 2009, 4:47 AM
Post #21 of 52 (7618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I see what your saying now, but why grab just one? The idea of extending the runner when its tripled is to drop any two, not one.

In reply to:
Orvel was just saying that if you didn't know this could happen, now you know it could happen.

Yep, there are consequences for doing things wrong.

markcarlson

Mar 12, 2009, 2:50 PM
Post #22 of 52 (7554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
I see what your saying now, but why grab just one? The idea of extending the runner when its tripled is to drop any two, not one.

If you are trying to lengthen the 1/3 to 1/2, you can drop one (if you drop the right one,) using the pass-through triple. Using the other method, you can drop one and always lengthen 1/3 to 1/2 without needing to pick the right one.

bandycoot

Mar 12, 2009, 3:26 PM
Post #23 of 52 (7535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

markcarlson wrote:

Pages 7-9 here:

I think this article is complete crap, personally. I climb on tripled trad draws almost every time I climb. I was taught to triple them up, and extend them by unclipping either carabiner from a the three slings and clipping back in to any single sling. With this single, simple, explanation I've never had trouble and I can easily say I've extended these things a few thousand times out on the rock. I completely can't understand why this guys is saying that it is unsafe if you unclip only one strand of the three. Who cares?!? It's like saying that a grigri is unsafe because you can thread the rope backwards. My first question is, why would you thread the rope backwards? If I use an extended sling, and I unclip only one strand the carabiner ALSO comes off. According to this guy, this must also be unsafe. Seriously, understand what you're doing, and just because it's in a pretty report doesn't mean that the information is worth anything. I also like the fact that the guy calls the STANDARD way of tripling draws "cute" trying to belittle it. (Someone help me with the name of the false argument here). Anyways, the guy starts the article saying that he has been in a disagreement with a fellow climber about this. I feel like he is just trying to further his position he is vested in, instead of actually evaluating the ways to triple a sling logically. I've seen this article linked twice on this site now and had to say something. I would recommend people stop linking that crap.

Josh

moose_droppings

Mar 12, 2009, 3:36 PM
Post #24 of 52 (7519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

markcarlson wrote:
moose_droppings wrote:

If you are trying to lengthen the 1/3 to 1/2, you can drop one (if you drop the right one,) using the pass-through triple. Using the other method, you can drop one and always lengthen 1/3 to 1/2 without needing to pick the right one.

I surrender.

Partner cracklover

Mar 12, 2009, 4:22 PM
Post #25 of 52 (7496 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Favorite way of making trad draws? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
markcarlson wrote:

Pages 7-9 here:

The author brings up a good point about the traditional trad draw (unclipping only one strand could result in lost biner). The simple solution is to always drop out two strands. No matter which two strands, or which biner you pick, it will always come out just right.

Exactly. I've been doing the tripled sling since I started climbing, and while I recognize that you could screw it up if you specifically tried to use the "bad" method in the article to unclip, that doesn't invalidate the fact that the tripled sling is still the best way to go. The guy is solving a problem that doesn't exist. And, worse, he's solving it with solutions that are worse than the non-problem!

Stick with the old tripled sling. It works. Just unclip two, and you're fine. And if you do unclip three, clip one, pull it through and wind up with the biner in your hand, it's not that big a deal. Just go and clip it in!

GO

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook