RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

wordless_chorus

Mar 9, 2009, 8:46 PM
Post #1 of 23 (7553 views)
Shortcut

Pinstriping for marking gear?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

anybody ever use pinstriping to mark your gear? does it last awhile and can i use it on thin dyneema slings without worrying about the slings being destroyed or something like that?

geezergecko

Mar 9, 2009, 9:38 PM
Post #2 of 23 (7513 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wordless_chorus] Pinstriping for marking gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use pinstriping tape on top of regular climbing gear marker tape to add an extra color identifier (blue stripe in the middle of yellow tape). This avoids any worry about the adhesive formulation of the pinstripe tape possibly reacting with any gear. The plastic part of the pinstripe is just as soft as climbing marker tape so it doesn't last all that long.

wordless_chorus

Mar 9, 2009, 10:28 PM
Post #3 of 23 (7476 views)
Shortcut

Re: [geezergecko] Pinstriping for marking gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

how bout a piece of electric tape with the striping over it? I just dont wanna screw up my mammut slings

basilisk

Mar 9, 2009, 10:46 PM
Post #4 of 23 (7465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Word has it that electrical tape has a bad reaction with nylon. I never heard that until a few months ago, when I started climbing cell towers and using an assload of electrical tape

BD and a few other companies make rope markers, Maybe get one of them for your slings. Tape doesn't last too long on gear, nevermind slings (plus it makes a mess at the bottom of the crag!)

geezergecko

Mar 9, 2009, 10:58 PM
Post #5 of 23 (7457 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The problem with electrical tape is that it is much more gummy than climbing gear marker tape as well as not being tested, as far as I know, for use on nylon/dyneema. If you have the means to test the PH of the adhesive then you can be reasonably sure that it's okay if you have a neutral PH = 7. It's mineral acids that will weaken nylon in a blink. Best not to mess with gear that your life depends on and use only approved marker tape. Having said that, I know of financially challenged climbers that do use black and red electrical tape to mark their gear.

wordless_chorus

Mar 9, 2009, 11:07 PM
Post #6 of 23 (7445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so ill pass on the electrical tape for nylon/dyneema but its fine on the metal cable on nuts and the plastic on cams and shit right? i guess ill just order some of those rack tags from trango or something

rschap

Mar 9, 2009, 11:27 PM
Post #7 of 23 (7429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use nail polish, there's hundreds of colors, it's cheap, it's durable, and easy to apply and reapply. Of course I don’t use it on my slings.

basilisk

Mar 9, 2009, 11:47 PM
Post #8 of 23 (7415 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rschap] Pinstriping for marking gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Second on nail polish. It's reasonably cheap and lasts plenty long, just get it in the grooves of the hardware. Never tried it on slings.

I don't have any mammut slings, but on my BD the tags stick out a little so I just cut that in half and called it my marking system. I know mammut sews their tags right over the stitching though. Maybe just cut that off and call it good? Not like it serves any great purpose

acorneau

Mar 10, 2009, 3:26 AM
Post #9 of 23 (7367 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rschap] Pinstriping for marking gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rschap wrote:
I use nail polish, there's hundreds of colors, it's cheap, it's durable, and easy to apply and reapply. Of course I don’t use it on my slings.

I use nail polish as well, bright Barney-purple is my color.

The trick on sewn slings is to paint the very ends of the webbing, after the stitching where it's been hot-knifed.

coolcat83

Mar 10, 2009, 3:55 AM
Post #10 of 23 (7357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wordless_chorus wrote:
so ill pass on the electrical tape for nylon/dyneema but its fine on the metal cable on nuts and the plastic on cams and shit right? i guess ill just order some of those rack tags from trango or something

i sure hope so, never saw anything detrimental from it on my metal gear, never thought it was worth it to mark the soft goods, I'd think if there was a problem with the years of use by people it would have been discovered.

as for the pH, not sure, I think i should have some stuff laying around to test, give me a few days and when i have some free time i'll try to test some.

Renty

Mar 10, 2009, 4:25 AM
Post #11 of 23 (7350 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just did all my gear tonight. Bought two rolls of colored 3M electrical tape for $8 at home depot and I still have plenty of tape.

Parkerkat

Mar 11, 2009, 2:42 PM
Post #12 of 23 (7275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

could you elaborate on what you mean by pinstriping? Not sure if you mean with thin strips of tape, or if you're spraying them with some sort of paint?

Just curious.. I'm lucky (and I guess equally unlucky) that I'm pretty much the only dude with gear in my crew) and therefore don't need to mark much yet, but soon..the free top rope rides end this summer! (meaning I always have to set a top rope for my friends...this year, teaching a them to fish vs. giving them one!)

Cheers and let me know!

a-e-jones

Mar 11, 2009, 2:47 PM
Post #13 of 23 (7270 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Parkerkat] Pinstriping for marking gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you better get on that soon, because you know we are gonna mix our racks up this summer

wordless_chorus

Mar 11, 2009, 2:49 PM
Post #14 of 23 (7266 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Parkerkat] Pinstriping for marking gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i meant automobile pintstriping. it is basically the same shit as the trango rack tags now that i have some of those. i work at a car parts store and got the pinstriping for real cheap. plus lots of colors. i used it on all my cams and it seems like it will work fine and biners take it well too

Parkerkat

Mar 11, 2009, 3:02 PM
Post #15 of 23 (7259 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks! I'll check em out when I think its time!

Parkerkat

Mar 12, 2009, 3:55 PM
Post #16 of 23 (7196 views)
Shortcut

Re: [a-e-jones] Pinstriping for marking gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ahahaha...somehow I'm pretty sure I'll remember the 3 tri cams I buy and won't have too hard a time separating a bunch of spurt gear from all those weird things you got..what do you call them? Nuts or something ; p

Canada Needs ya Bro! Get back soon!

villageidiot

Mar 13, 2009, 1:21 AM
Post #17 of 23 (7138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

geezergecko wrote:
The problem with electrical tape is that it is much more gummy than climbing gear marker tape as well as not being tested, as far as I know, for use on nylon/dyneema. If you have the means to test the PH of the adhesive then you can be reasonably sure that it's okay if you have a neutral PH = 7. It's mineral acids that will weaken nylon in a blink. Best not to mess with gear that your life depends on and use only approved marker tape. Having said that, I know of financially challenged climbers that do use black and red electrical tape to mark their gear.

BS. There are a variety of mechanisms that can weaken polymers, pH may, or may not be important. These "my cat peed on this or that after eating asparagus" threads are getting old.

geezergecko

Mar 13, 2009, 7:35 PM
Post #18 of 23 (7102 views)
Shortcut

Re: [villageidiot] Pinstriping for marking gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

villageidiot wrote:
geezergecko wrote:

BS. There are a variety of mechanisms that can weaken polymers, pH may, or may not be important. These "my cat peed on this or that after eating asparagus" threads are getting old.
Does anybody know of any PH neutral chemical that adversely affects nylon? I'm willing to eat my hat!

Alpine07

Mar 13, 2009, 7:40 PM
Post #19 of 23 (7091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

geezergecko wrote:
I know of financially challenged climbers that do use black and red electrical tape to mark their gear.

I know of summer camps that use electrical tape to mark their gear. Though I guess one might put financially challenged climbers and summer camps in the same category.

Urban_Cowboy

Mar 14, 2009, 3:49 AM
Post #20 of 23 (7047 views)
Shortcut

Re: [basilisk] Pinstriping for marking gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

basilisk wrote:
Word has it that electrical tape has a bad reaction with nylon. I never heard that until a few months ago, when I started climbing cell towers and using an assload of electrical tape
Electrical tape sucks. Get some silicone self fusing tape, I know 3M makes it. much better for weather proofing cables.

Back on topic, nail polish FTW!!!

sungam

Mar 14, 2009, 4:21 AM
Post #21 of 23 (7041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

geezergecko wrote:
villageidiot wrote:
geezergecko wrote:

Does anybody know of any PH neutral chemical that adversely affects nylon? I'm willing to eat my hat!
Wikipedia tells me that heat and hydrolosis by strong acids are pretty much the only breakdown mechinisms.

timh

Mar 15, 2009, 3:57 AM
Post #22 of 23 (6974 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have used it on hardware and the ends of regular nylon slings but haven't used it on dyneema. (mainly because they're so thin to begin with, it might be hard to work with). As far as the possible chemical reaction between the adhesive and the dyneema, I don't know.

barkandbite

Mar 15, 2009, 7:26 AM
Post #23 of 23 (6943 views)
Shortcut

Re: [timh] Pinstriping for marking gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as marking slings go, I use scissors to cut a small slice in the TAG. That method has eliminated any ownership debates 4me.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook