RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

jeepnphreak

Mar 25, 2009, 6:21 PM
Post #1 of 15 (6822 views)
Shortcut

That time of month, oh no!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My name is Rachel; I am using my husband’s account. So, My husband and I were climbing last weekend and I ended up leaking a bit on my leg loop. Does anyone know a good way to get blood out of a harness without sacrificing the integrity of the fabric? It’s a Black Diamond Prim Rose, I looked at BDs web site for anything on safe cleaning a harness but came up with nothing. I have heard that cleaning a rope with the wrong cleaner can compromise its strength. Does the same apply to a harness as well, I would assume so.

Thanks

tigerlilly

Mar 25, 2009, 6:23 PM
Post #2 of 15 (6816 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] That time of month, oh no! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Soak it in cold water. That has worked for me for cotton fabrics.

Kathy

kiwiprincess

Mar 25, 2009, 8:03 PM
Post #3 of 15 (6791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cold water is the best thing for blood. Must be cold.

clausti

Mar 25, 2009, 8:37 PM
Post #4 of 15 (6783 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kiwiprincess] That time of month, oh no! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

does it smell?

if it doesn't smell (and you can't get it out with cold water) i'd probably leave it.

Partner happiegrrrl

Mar 25, 2009, 9:55 PM
Post #5 of 15 (6769 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] That time of month, oh no! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The leg loops RE NOT THE PART THAT CATCHES YOU IN A FALL. tHE SIMPLY HOLD

ooop....cap lock....

The leg loops aid in making a more comfortable hang once you have come off, and reduce the strain on your ability to breath if you have to hang for more than a few seconds.

It is the waist part that you want to not F with.

Also, in the Primrose leg loops, there is a 1" flat webbing sewn INSIDE the outer padding part. The webbing inside is the part taking any stress. The outer padded part is for comfort.

I have a primrose, and.....people say it needs replacing. But it's just shredded to hell on the leg loops because I am a big chicken and scoot down descents in JTree.

I won't suggest taking some acid to the poor harness of course, but I don't think using a cleaning compound on the leg loop has any more chance of killing you than if a cat peed on it(OH NOOOOOOO!!!!!!)

Still, I would be pretty self-conscious about it if my leg loop had a blood stain. I have a cute butt and well....don't want to ruin the view for my poor belayers. hahahah

Instead of chemicals, use vinegar and baking soda. Here's the deal, from http://frugalliving.about.com/...Stain_Remover.01.htm:
Saturate the stain in vinegar. Then, rub with a paste made of vinegar and baking soda. If the stain persists, add a couple tablespoons each of vinegar and laundry detergent to a bucket of water, and soak over night. Rinse, and wash.

If the stain persists, you could try what the n00b guys do with their first hardware purchases - Rub it in the dirt, scrape in on some stone, scuff and dirty the thing up so people see *hardman* instead of n00b.

Or, you could wrap a little duct tape around it. But that would probably cause a lot more of a problem, since everyone and their mother will stop you and tell you how you're going to die.....

Or....patch it with a girl scout badge(or any fabric patch)! I don't know which GS badge would be...appropriate, but I had a sewing badge to patch a hole I tore on the butt (scooting down a descent in the Gunks and impaling myself on a tree branch - ow!).

edited because somehow an internet link got pasted in my text.

(This post was edited by happiegrrrl on Mar 26, 2009, 1:38 AM)

wonderwoman

Mar 26, 2009, 2:47 PM
Post #7 of 15 (6685 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] That time of month, oh no! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
Instead of chemicals, use vinegar and baking soda.

But don't forget that vinegar is an acid.

Unless this is an embarrassing or gory stain, I'd just assume leave it be.

jeepnphreak

Mar 26, 2009, 3:14 PM
Post #8 of 15 (6678 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the replies. I got most of it with a $2 electric tooth brush and very cold water. I scrubbed it a bit than rung is it out well, I did thins several times and Is good enough.
No there was no odor but it was still embarrassing, at least to me and I wanted it to be at least not be very noticeable.

aerili

Mar 27, 2009, 6:54 AM
Post #9 of 15 (6614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hydrogen peroxide binds to the proteins in blood. It may or may not remove the color, but you could always take a Q tip and dab/soak whatever's left. I wouldn't worry about color leaching on a harness.

clausti

Mar 27, 2009, 12:01 PM
Post #10 of 15 (6599 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] That time of month, oh no! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
Hydrogen peroxide binds to the proteins in blood. It may or may not remove the color, but you could always take a Q tip and dab/soak whatever's left. I wouldn't worry about color leaching on a harness.

umm, i'm not a materials chemist, but don't put peroxide on your harness.

acacongua

Mar 27, 2009, 5:56 PM
Post #11 of 15 (6563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've washed my harnesses in the washer (2x/year) on cold, no detergent and in a lingerie bag. No problems at all ... and my harnesses are used strenuously.

aerili

Mar 27, 2009, 6:38 PM
Post #12 of 15 (6551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
aerili wrote:

Oh, well I was just thinking of using it only on the spongy fabric of the leg loop (i.e. the "comfort" part), but maybe it's not a good idea regardless. Unfortunately, hydrogen peroxide is the only thing I know of that binds to blood proteins.

clausti

Mar 27, 2009, 7:48 PM
Post #13 of 15 (6533 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] That time of month, oh no! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
clausti wrote:
aerili wrote:

Oh, well I was just thinking of using it only on the spongy fabric of the leg loop (i.e. the "comfort" part), but maybe it's not a good idea regardless. Unfortunately, hydrogen peroxide is the only thing I know of that binds to blood proteins.

i mean... ::hedge hedge:: if you don't touch any webbing with it.... ::hedge:: it's probably ok???

sorry, not meaning to bag on you, it just makes me uncomfortable to think of someone reading then and then thinking it's ok to put peroxide on weight bearing parts of their harness, which it isn't, in case anyone is reading this.

aerili

Mar 28, 2009, 6:20 PM
Post #14 of 15 (6464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
it just makes me uncomfortable to think of someone reading then and then thinking it's ok to put peroxide on weight bearing parts of their harness, which it isn't, in case anyone is reading this.

Right.

My advice is probably best used on things like your climbing pants instead.

lena_chita

Mar 29, 2009, 11:07 PM
Post #15 of 15 (6395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jeepnphreak wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I got most of it with a $2 electric tooth brush and very cold water. I scrubbed it a bit than rung is it out well, I did thins several times and Is good enough.
No there was no odor but it was still embarrassing, at least to me and I wanted it to be at least not be very noticeable.

Sounds like you have the problem solved :)

For the future, get a black harness--stains would be a lot less visible. Crazy

And a general note -- exercise/vigorous activity often results in somewhat heavier flow, so plan for it by using heavier protection, or more frequent changes.

I swear, my period matches itself to my climbing trips. If it can start a day or two early, or get delayed a day or two, it always will, just so I would have the pleasure of dealing with it on a trip.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook