Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

c4c

Apr 7, 2009, 10:42 AM
Post #26 of 48 (10295 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Craggmire] Gunks rack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Craggmire wrote:
Forged FriendsWink

w/ a gunks tie off

granite_grrl

Apr 7, 2009, 12:53 PM
Post #27 of 48 (10265 views)
Shortcut

Re: [c4c] Gunks rack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

c4c wrote:
based on your user name you should do just fine.
You have no idea. Unimpressed

Randall, someone mentioned DMM Revolvers above, I have found these fantastic at the Gunks. If you're interested you can borrow mine for your trip, that'll give me an excuse to come visit after you get back. Cool

I don't have time to drop them off though, so you'd have to come pick them up. I live near the Penn Center. Contact me if you're interested. Double ropes is another good option at the Gunks for handling rope drag.

Also, your choice about the Screamers. The pins there are generally in fairly good condition or easy to back up, but I still tend to carry a couple 'cause I have them anyway.

Craggmire

Apr 8, 2009, 2:47 AM
Post #28 of 48 (10222 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

c4c wrote:
Craggmire wrote:
Forged FriendsWink

w/ a gunks tie off
Naw, there's no real reason they're called that. hahaha

livinonasandbar

Apr 8, 2009, 3:26 AM
Post #29 of 48 (10205 views)
Shortcut

Re: [meanandugly] Gunks rack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Honestly, the best rack for the Gunks would be mine. Send me an airline ticket...

bill413

Apr 8, 2009, 3:49 AM
Post #30 of 48 (10194 views)
Shortcut

Re: [livinonasandbar] Gunks rack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

livinonasandbar wrote:
Honestly, the best rack for the Gunks would be mine. Send me an airline ticket...
+1

c4c

Apr 9, 2009, 12:49 AM
Post #31 of 48 (10143 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Gunks rack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

don't forget your "get out of jail free card" now

rangerrob

Apr 22, 2009, 6:57 PM
Post #32 of 48 (10019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You would be wise to heed the words of RGold. He knows of what he speaks. Afterall, he's had a hand in inventing the Gunks rack. Right Rich?

RR

Gmburns2000

Apr 22, 2009, 7:14 PM
Post #33 of 48 (10008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

6 sets of nuts
14 pink tri cams
a half dozen pair of each size of Camalot
tazers to beat back the copperheads
cheese for the rat snakes
a four-person portaledge for the overnight on Horseman
20 mules
6 gallons of my favorite beer
and $15 to bribe the ranger at the bridge into letting you climb

Pirate

Partner rgold

Apr 22, 2009, 7:30 PM
Post #34 of 48 (9997 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] Gunks rack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ha Rob, there has been a gunks rack as long as there have been gunks climbers.

My original gunks rack:

short thin, medium thick: 1 each
long thin, medium thick: 1 each
1/2", 5/8" angles: 1 each
3/4" angles: 2
1", 1 1/4", 1 1/2" angles: 1 each

Biners and over-the-shoulder slings.

The first route I did entirely with nuts was Double Crack in 1968. I had a set of nuts ordered from Joe Brown in Wales. It was inferior but comparable to a single set of stoppers nowadays, minus the smaller sizes. The nuts were all on webbing and were worn like a necklaces, as dictated by the then-current UK tradition. If any of them caught during a fall, you'd be garroted, and they obscured your view of your feet whenever you leaned forward.

My rack today is at least double the size of the original nut racks we used in the seventies, and cams have made me a lot lazier about arranging protection. Most routes are so much better protected now then back in the day that, in some cases, they are almost not the same climbing. (The myth that fixed pins made up for the difference is only true of a small number of classic routes.)

I'm not complaining, mind you. All this extra gear allows me to keep climbing as my physical abilities decline, so I'm really happy about it. Henry Barber I ain't.

rangerrob

Apr 28, 2009, 11:41 PM
Post #35 of 48 (9863 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Gunks rack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Whenever I'm leading something at or near my limit and pumping out, slamming cams in, I just thank the stars that I wasn't a climber back then. You folks had some big cajones. Double crack is pretty straight forward for me now, but I think of leading it on just nuts and my forearms immediately protest.

I wonder how much technical climbing standards have improved, or how much the gear has made it easier to climb harder routes. If you guys had sticky shoes, smooth cams, light biners, invisible harnesses, and dependable ropes back in 1965, what would you have done? Shit, back then you were climbing what I can climb now. I'm always humbled when I think of it.

RR

bill413

Apr 29, 2009, 12:05 AM
Post #36 of 48 (9855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rangerrob wrote:
Whenever I'm leading something at or near my limit and pumping out, slamming cams in, I just thank the stars that I wasn't a climber back then. You folks had some big cajones. Double crack is pretty straight forward for me now, but I think of leading it on just nuts and my forearms immediately protest.

I wonder how much technical climbing standards have improved, or how much the gear has made it easier to climb harder routes. If you guys had sticky shoes, smooth cams, light biners, invisible harnesses, and dependable ropes back in 1965, what would you have done? Shit, back then you were climbing what I can climb now. I'm always humbled when I think of it.

RR
Ditto. Except you were climbing even harder than I can now.

Partner rgold

Apr 29, 2009, 4:10 PM
Post #37 of 48 (9826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Rob, the gear has made it easier, but climbers have gotten much better, improving far beyond the advantages better gear provide.

Climbing gyms, bouldering, and sport climbing provide opportunities to climb at levels the old guys never even imagined. Some of those who do this cross over to trad climbing and alpinism, and when they do they perform incredibly. Of course, not all of them do cross over, leaving some room for the rest of us to scare the daylights out of ourselves on old-school 5.10.

blueeyedclimber

May 10, 2012, 12:48 PM
Post #42 of 48 (8416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

meanandugly wrote:
Going to the Gunks for the 1st time, and just wondering on opinions on what to set-up for a good rack. I will be doing a variety of climbs and grades.

Thanks in advance.

Having done hundreds of routes at the Gunks, here is my opinion. Take it for what it's worth:

- Double ropes are great! They are not necessary by any stretch, but the make life a lot easier with all the roofs, traverses and other wandering pitches.

- Plenty of runners, especially if using a single rope. You try to climb on sport draws and you will be cursing the rope drag gods.

- Most climbs offer a wide variety of sizes, but you rarely need anything above a #2. You also very rarely need doubles of anything. If you do double up, I would do it in the medium size cams.

- Tricams? meh.

- According to the guidebook, a lot of the pitches are short. Climbing on doubles and being smart with rope drag allow a lot of those pitches to be combined.

- THE grade to climb at the Gunks is 5.10. If you can climb 5.10 at the Gunks, you will have a LOT of fun and will not be able to wait for your next trip back. Now, don't get me wrong, there are GREAT climbs of all levels, even as low as 5.2, but the 10's are spectacular. Once you get to 11's, there are not nearly as many and even less well protected ones.

- Aliens are fantastic at the Gunks. We also have some master cams that work well. The flexible stems are key for the horizontals.

Josh

Partner cracklover

May 10, 2012, 4:21 PM
Post #43 of 48 (8386 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Gunks rack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree - if you're comfortable with double ropes technique, bring your half ropes. Even if you don't combine a lot of pitches, they'll give you way better protection options on many single pitches.

If the Gunks is just part of a larger climbing trip, or you'll be wanting to do single-pitch stuff with a single rope, consider bringing a thin single plus one of your half ropes. That will give you the option to do double or single rope technique, without needing to bring three ropes on the trip.

GO

losbill

May 10, 2012, 7:28 PM
Post #44 of 48 (8350 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Gunks rack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Josh and Gabe - Am I missing something or are you guys responding to a thread whose last post was three years ago? - Bill

granite_grrl

May 10, 2012, 7:32 PM
Post #45 of 48 (8346 views)
Shortcut

Re: [losbill] Gunks rack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

losbill wrote:
Josh and Gabe - Am I missing something or are you guys responding to a thread whose last post was three years ago? - Bill

You're not missing anything....they're the ones that missed what was going on.

The OP has spent many weekends in the Gunks since he started this thread. I'm sure he has a pretty good idea of what he likes on his rack when he's down there now.

blueeyedclimber

May 11, 2012, 2:40 PM
Post #46 of 48 (8308 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Gunks rack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
losbill wrote:

The OP has spent many weekends in the Gunks since he started this thread. I'm sure he has a pretty good idea of what he likes on his rack when he's down there now.

Wow, I did miss that. Blush I don't think I have ever done that before. I guess I didn't think of it since the thread was so high up on the first page. I guess the trad forum is not used very much.

Gabe probably missed it, because he probably assumed I knew what was going on Cool I hope he doesn't decide not to rope up with me again because of this. Wink

Josh

Partner cracklover

May 11, 2012, 3:07 PM
Post #47 of 48 (8297 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Gunks rack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
losbill wrote:

Wow, I did miss that. Blush I don't think I have ever done that before. I guess I didn't think of it since the thread was so high up on the first page. I guess the trad forum is not used very much.

Gabe probably missed it, because he probably assumed I knew what was going on Cool I hope he doesn't decide not to rope up with me again because of this. Wink

Josh

D'oh! Exactly!

I'll still rope up with you, but now I know if it's your lead, you may be heading in the wrong direction!

GTongue

meanandugly

May 11, 2012, 3:10 PM
Post #48 of 48 (8295 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Gunks rack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I even had to check the date I 1st posted the question...lol

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook