RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

pulchny93

Apr 14, 2009, 10:46 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1277 views)
Shortcut

Fingers getting stronger due to injury
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I injured my middle finger a couple of weeks ago ( a collateral ligament strain) and have been resting quite alot but suprisingly without any training my fingers seem to be getting stronger all the time.

It could have something to do with the finger recovering from the injury, growing more/stronger tissue just like when building muscles and making itself stronger.

What do you think, is it a coincidence or is the finger really getting stronger because of the injury?

ja1484

Apr 14, 2009, 11:36 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1247 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pulchny93] Fingers getting stronger due to injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Define "stronger".

Any measurement needs a metric.

As for a ligament becoming stronger after injury/insult, that is highly unlikely, but there's always the possibility you're a genetic anomaly.

pulchny93

Apr 14, 2009, 8:36 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1151 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ja1484] Fingers getting stronger due to injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Stronger as being able to pull on smaller stuff more easily. it could also get stronger because i rested after the injury, gave my fingers some time to recover and before the injury i was bouldering 5 times a week and training hard overall.

ja1484

Apr 14, 2009, 10:26 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pulchny93 wrote:
Stronger as being able to pull on smaller stuff more easily. it could also get stronger because i rested after the injury, gave my fingers some time to recover and before the injury i was bouldering 5 times a week and training hard overall.

Define "small stuff" and "more easily". Is it smaller than what you were pulling before? Are you SURE?

What does more easily mean? Less force? How do you know you aren't just using better technique?

Yes, I'm being an asshole on purpose. This is why I rarely get involved in threads here. General knowledge of exercise concepts is pretty poor out there in the world.

onceahardman

Apr 15, 2009, 2:08 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1096 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only way to truly KNOW it's really stronger is, if you had tested it before the injury.

I respect your impression that it's better, and I'm happy for you. But, there is really not a known mechanism for it.

Other than, of course, rest.

This illustrates correlation without causation. The injury was not the cause of strengthening (assuming it's really stronger), even though it correlates perfectly. Instead, a third factor (time off) caused by the injury, led to the strengthening.

(This post was edited by onceahardman on Apr 15, 2009, 2:17 AM)

onceahardman

Apr 15, 2009, 2:15 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1092 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ja1484] Fingers getting stronger due to injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This is why I rarely get involved in threads here. General knowledge of exercise concepts is pretty poor out there in the world.

I know it's frustrating, and you've been here longer than me. I usually try to focus on helping where I can. Sometimes I get caught up in arguments.

Anyway, you're a bright guy. We could use the help.

ja1484

Apr 15, 2009, 2:31 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1081 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Fingers getting stronger due to injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
In reply to:
This is why I rarely get involved in threads here. General knowledge of exercise concepts is pretty poor out there in the world.

I know it's frustrating, and you've been here longer than me. I usually try to focus on helping where I can. Sometimes I get caught up in arguments.

Anyway, you're a bright guy. We could use the help.

More accurately, I'm a lazy guy. I usually wait for hardman to land in a thread and type out what I'm unwilling to - he seems to enjoy it.

In any event, as OAH established, answering your question in casual sense isn't really possible due to lack of any sort of objective measure. Subjective measures are notoriously unreliable.

boracus

Apr 15, 2009, 5:31 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

J-
I think you answered your own question. If you only mildly tweaked a finger and now feel that you're able to pull harder but were climbing, specifically bouldering and training hard 5 days a week, then it sounds like you simply gave your body some well needed rest.
To use the old cliche, you get stronger when you rest not when you train. The injury had nothing to do w/ it other than you decided to take some time off due to the finger tweak.
Realistically you can't train hard for more than about 8wks, after that the training effect falls off as your body has adapted to the exercises and your risk of injury goes up. Best to take a week of light active rest and then hit another 8 week cycle w/ some different exercises and or training goals.
cheers,
BA

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook