Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

socalclimber

May 3, 2009, 10:21 PM
Post #26 of 51 (5602 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] First solo rappel today. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
socalclimber wrote:
I'll admit I've done it. I don't recommend it. One thing to consider is that it's probably illegal and would be a great way to get a nice fat ticket if caught.

When I did it about 15 years ago in pasadena, somebody saw me and freaked and called in a suicide attempt. The polic showed up, helicopters etc. Fortunately I made fast time and got out of there before they arrived!

Don't tell me you rapped off the Colorado Street bridge, did you?

Jay

LA LA LA LA LA LA.... I AM NOT LISTENING TO JAY LA LA LALA LA LA LA LA

I plead the Fith...

The Arroyo Seco was my backyard as a kid. I know every square inch of that place....

rockandlice

May 3, 2009, 10:27 PM
Post #27 of 51 (5596 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] First solo rappel today. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

socalclimber wrote:
I'll admit I've done it. I don't recommend it. One thing to consider is that it's probably illegal and would be a great way to get a nice fat ticket if caught.

When I did it about 15 years ago in pasadena, somebody saw me and freaked and called in a suicide attempt. The polic showed up, helicopters etc. Fortunately I made fast time and got out of there before they arrived!

Nice. I got busted rope jumping a huge bridge on the Blue Ridge Parkway when I was 14 along with a few other friends. Gear was confiscated until one of our parents went to claim it. Luckily they thought we were just rapelling. Wink

(This post was edited by rockandlice on May 3, 2009, 10:28 PM)

andrewneal

May 4, 2009, 3:53 AM
Post #28 of 51 (5562 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockandlice] First solo rappel today. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright, went down to REI and picked up an ATC. Tried it along w/ the prusik to self belay on a single rope, doubled over to use both slots on the ATC. It worked fine, I actually liked it better. I felt like I was more in control, while on the grigri you had to find that "sweet spot" in order for it to NOT be jerky.. which was a pain, not to mention it made me nervous because I kept jerking the rope. I just tightened the prusik and put my weight on it when I needed to stop and use both hands for some photography. For the record I'm not up against the side of anything.. I'm just coming down off a train trussell about the height of this one. http://image57.webshots.com/557/1/8/93/2582108930100054967tNknhh_ph.jpg

That said, I'm returning the grigri tomorrow and sticking with my single rope, ATC guide, and prusik for self belay. Sly I'm also going to take some advice I saw earlier in this thread and tie backup knots around 10 feet below the rope as a backup and just release them as I get to them. I'm still using 3 anchors as well.

Should I consider a second rope as a safety line? How would that work anyway?

One other thing, I can't decide whether or not I like the prusik above the ATC or below it... any advice on that?

jt512

May 4, 2009, 5:06 AM
Post #29 of 51 (5549 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andrewneal] First solo rappel today. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

andrewneal wrote:
Alright, went down to REI and picked up an ATC. Tried it along w/ the prusik to self belay on a single rope, doubled over to use both slots on the ATC. It worked fine, I actually liked it better. I felt like I was more in control, while on the grigri you had to find that "sweet spot" in order for it to NOT be jerky.. which was a pain, not to mention it made me nervous because I kept jerking the rope. I just tightened the prusik and put my weight on it when I needed to stop and use both hands for some photography. For the record I'm not up against the side of anything.. I'm just coming down off a train trussell about the height of this one. http://image57.webshots.com/557/1/8/93/2582108930100054967tNknhh_ph.jpg

That said, I'm returning the grigri tomorrow and sticking with my single rope, ATC guide, and prusik for self belay. Sly I'm also going to take some advice I saw earlier in this thread and tie backup knots around 10 feet below the rope as a backup and just release them as I get to them. I'm still using 3 anchors as well.

Should I consider a second rope as a safety line?

You should consider finding an experienced partner, reading a few books, and/or taking some lessons from a certified guide. Of course, you'll do none of these, but at least I tried.

Jay

andrewneal

May 4, 2009, 5:11 AM
Post #30 of 51 (5546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
andrewneal wrote:

You should consider finding an experienced partner, reading a few books, and/or taking some lessons from a certified guide. Of course, you'll do none of these, but at least I tried.

Jay

was that implying I'm doing something wrong?

I've read through a few books in the past day or so.

agdavis

May 4, 2009, 5:35 AM
Post #31 of 51 (5542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

andrewneal wrote:

One other thing, I can't decide whether or not I like the prusik above the ATC or below it... any advice on that?

you scare me

andrewneal

May 4, 2009, 5:40 AM
Post #32 of 51 (5539 views)
Shortcut

Re: [agdavis] First solo rappel today. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I love how none of you guys are actually directly addressing the questions I'm asking.

(This post was edited by andrewneal on May 4, 2009, 6:01 AM)

Bolter

May 4, 2009, 8:36 AM
Post #33 of 51 (5516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You cant return climbing gear..... anywhere. Used or unused.

dingus

May 4, 2009, 11:18 AM
Post #34 of 51 (5504 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billl7] First solo rappel today. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billl7 wrote:
On the other hand, I wondered if it all was a troll,

That was the funniest part of that troll... that anyone wondered.

DMT

bill413

May 4, 2009, 11:21 AM
Post #35 of 51 (5503 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bolter] First solo rappel today. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[confusion]
"Doubled over to use both slots of the ATC"
[/confusion]

dingus

May 4, 2009, 11:40 AM
Post #36 of 51 (5499 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

andrewneal wrote:
jt512 wrote:
andrewneal wrote:

Jay

Seeking raw beginner advice on the net is the problem. Half the posters on this site right there DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE FUCK THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.

There is a certain kind of noob, very dangerous. This person has climbed a little, enough to block out the basics anyway. They're read a book or two and may even be cranking som efairly hard routes.

All that is normal in the course of a career eh?

But here's the modern kicker - a lot of these people 'came up through the ranks' of internet climbing forums, where debating and smartassery rule the roost. They pick up all sorts of technical prowess from these threads - a lot of it untested (by them)

Then they offer that same advice up to you as if they dreamt it up themselves, and had tried it exhaustively whilst guiding Everest or some such shit.

There are some very reliable folks here too, who's advice is consistenly good. HThese folks are NOT going to teach you how to rappel on the internet.

The problem is the reliable and the internet warriors can come off sounding the same (cause internet warriors copy them). How do you, as a noob, tell them apart?

Over time you get a sense that jt512 or socalclimber or rgold... these are folks who won't give you bad info or pretend to have done something when they have not.

The simple fact that folks even answered you renders their advice suspect, haha!

DMT

(This post was edited by dingus on May 4, 2009, 11:44 AM)

billl7

May 4, 2009, 12:22 PM
Post #37 of 51 (5488 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] First solo rappel today. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
billl7 wrote:
On the other hand, I wondered if it all was a troll,

That was the funniest part of that troll... that anyone wondered.

DMT
For me, you would think that I'd get my guard up every April 1st. But no, my wife can usually "get me" most years. She would be a merciless internet warrior if she cared to.

Bill

(This post was edited by billl7 on May 4, 2009, 12:27 PM)

andrewneal

May 4, 2009, 2:19 PM
Post #38 of 51 (5456 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] First solo rappel today. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
andrewneal wrote:
jt512 wrote:
andrewneal wrote:

Jay

Seeking raw beginner advice on the net is the problem. Half the posters on this site right there DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE FUCK THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.

There is a certain kind of noob, very dangerous. This person has climbed a little, enough to block out the basics anyway. They're read a book or two and may even be cranking som efairly hard routes.

All that is normal in the course of a career eh?

But here's the modern kicker - a lot of these people 'came up through the ranks' of internet climbing forums, where debating and smartassery rule the roost. They pick up all sorts of technical prowess from these threads - a lot of it untested (by them)

Then they offer that same advice up to you as if they dreamt it up themselves, and had tried it exhaustively whilst guiding Everest or some such shit.

There are some very reliable folks here too, who's advice is consistenly good. HThese folks are NOT going to teach you how to rappel on the internet.

The problem is the reliable and the internet warriors can come off sounding the same (cause internet warriors copy them). How do you, as a noob, tell them apart?

Over time you get a sense that jt512 or socalclimber or rgold... these are folks who won't give you bad info or pretend to have done something when they have not.

The simple fact that folks even answered you renders their advice suspect, haha!

DMT

can't argue with that.

/ignorance

I'll just go to the local climbing gym and get some instruction.

agdavis

May 4, 2009, 2:56 PM
Post #39 of 51 (5443 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bolter] First solo rappel today. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bolter wrote:
You cant return climbing gear..... anywhere. Used or unused.

that is not true. you can return anything, including climbing gear, to REI. however, when you return something like a cam to REI, they destroy it with a sledgehammer (literally). poor cams :'(

Johnny_Fang

May 4, 2009, 3:14 PM
Post #40 of 51 (5438 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

andrewneal wrote:

maybe you're a troll, i really don't care. i'm going to assume not, and i'm going to assume that you are careful in what you're doing and that you would try stuff close to the ground before you are suspended in air.

look up mule knot. it is useful for tying off a rap (or for that matter, a partner that you are belaying). make sure you put an overhand backup in after tying the muleknot as it can fairly easily be pulled out (that is the benefit of the muleknot, when you untie it, it 'pops' into locked position.

i don't usually use a prussic, but you generally want it below your ATC. if it is above, it can get locked and be difficult to unweight. the problem with it being below is that it can get jammed in the atc--very bad. so some people tie the prussic to their leg loop on their harness rather than their belay loop on their harness, and others extend the atc from the belay loop on their harness with a sling, all of this to keep the prussic from jamming.

also look up 'firemans belay'. if your partner is down from the rap first, s/he can put you on this backup belay method that works like a charm and you don't have to mess around with prussics or the like.

everyone here will tell you you're going to die and you should seek competent instruction. you definitely should seek competent instruction, but myself and many, many others here taught this stuff to ourselves with a combination of books and trials close to the ground. just be careful, triple check everything and (more importantly) triple THINK everything. if you're not absolutely positive it's going to work (you've read about it in competent, well respected books and you've tried it a few times 5 feet off the ground), then don't. fucking. do it.

Partner happiegrrrl

May 4, 2009, 5:25 PM
Post #41 of 51 (5421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

andrewneal wrote:

If you can't stand the heat, stay outa the kitchen! You've gone and showed your hand, now.

100% troll.

andrewneal

May 4, 2009, 5:40 PM
Post #42 of 51 (5409 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Johnny_Fang] First solo rappel today. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Johnny_Fang wrote:
andrewneal wrote:

maybe you're a troll, i really don't care. i'm going to assume not, and i'm going to assume that you are careful in what you're doing and that you would try stuff close to the ground before you are suspended in air.

look up mule knot. it is useful for tying off a rap (or for that matter, a partner that you are belaying). make sure you put an overhand backup in after tying the muleknot as it can fairly easily be pulled out (that is the benefit of the muleknot, when you untie it, it 'pops' into locked position.

i don't usually use a prussic, but you generally want it below your ATC. if it is above, it can get locked and be difficult to unweight. the problem with it being below is that it can get jammed in the atc--very bad. so some people tie the prussic to their leg loop on their harness rather than their belay loop on their harness, and others extend the atc from the belay loop on their harness with a sling, all of this to keep the prussic from jamming.

also look up 'firemans belay'. if your partner is down from the rap first, s/he can put you on this backup belay method that works like a charm and you don't have to mess around with prussics or the like.

everyone here will tell you you're going to die and you should seek competent instruction. you definitely should seek competent instruction, but myself and many, many others here taught this stuff to ourselves with a combination of books and trials close to the ground. just be careful, triple check everything and (more importantly) triple THINK everything. if you're not absolutely positive it's going to work (you've read about it in competent, well respected books and you've tried it a few times 5 feet off the ground), then don't. fucking. do it.

I'm not a troll, I'm wholeheartedly interested in learning climbing/rappelling and being active here on the forum. I DO think things through before I do them, and have been triple checking everything.. all the while getting instruction from the climbing expert at REI.

I've been trying and testing things non stop for the past 2 days. I've grown to like the prusik under the ATC. I tested it a few time with it attached to the leg loop, but didn't like how it felt when it locked -- so I just used a sling I bought last night to extend out the ATC, like you mentioned earlier. A buddy of mine that actually knows what he's doing is going to go out with me Thursday night, and with his extra ropes I'll/we'll try out the fireman's belay.

Terry2124

May 4, 2009, 5:41 PM
Post #43 of 51 (5402 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] First solo rappel today. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
andrewneal wrote:

If you can't stand the heat, stay outa the kitchen! You've gone and showed your hand, now.

100% troll.

Do you think his local climbing gym allows trolls?

bill413

May 4, 2009, 6:06 PM
Post #44 of 51 (5394 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Terry2124] First solo rappel today. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Terry2124 wrote:
happiegrrrl wrote:
andrewneal wrote:

100% troll.

Do you think his local climbing gym allows trolls?
Sure - Troll makes a great kid's harness, AIR.

charley

May 4, 2009, 6:57 PM
Post #45 of 51 (5378 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Terry2124] First solo rappel today. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

all the while getting instruction from the climbing expert at REI.

Your rei must be much better than mine. Cool I almost told the clerk what a stupid ass he was at mine. Not only did he not know what he was talking about but was a smart ass in response to my question. If you want to get some useful beta try a real gear shop. If rei is all you have, I feel sorry for you.

Johnny_Fang

May 4, 2009, 7:10 PM
Post #46 of 51 (5370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

one more thing: if you want people to be nicer to you when you ask beginner questions, pretend to be a girl. that seems to help, though it's not a magic bullet.

Partner xtrmecat

May 4, 2009, 8:09 PM
Post #47 of 51 (5350 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And here lies one of the problems, potentially. There is no line in the sand that allows someone to be an expert, or even an instructor in this fine portion of the globe. Just say you are a new enthusiast, trained on the internet, with skills untried, and sound confident and you can fool about 75% of the folks. There are probably no "experts" at any REI. The only experts I know are AMGA and I am not aware of any giving away their trade, while working retail.
I do however know some very good climbers whose opinions I value, that instruct and teach climbing, for real money, and in a real college and classroom/outdoor environment. These are closer to expert, and maybe it is their humility, but none classify themselves as experts. Just avid enthusiasts.
And like myself, enjoy conversation about climbing, gear, climbs and the such, but I cannot recall any of us not being able to learn new methods, tricks, or reasons to quite practices we all used to take for granted were "OK".
If you are indeed not a troll, then please take the advice of the wise ones above and seek out a true professional or even an expert. The intardnet is filled up with many people who are self proclaimed experts, believe it or not. To discuss methods and such online leave many openings for bad advice, which by now I should be able to spot easily enough. Maybe not so easy for a new person.
To seek instruction online by a beginner, is entirely another matter. If you wish to take advice given by some of these "experts", then please heed this caution. Who pays the consequences for you believing an almost completely anonymous persons advice. Certainly not what I'm willing to risk.
Find a mentor, friend who knows more, or hire some proper instruction until you earn your salt, then come back here and converse of a passion/sickness that consumes most of your thoughts and has consumed most of your life/time. That would be my best advice on how to rap, single line or double, gri-gri or ATC.
Bob

Johnny_Fang

May 4, 2009, 9:38 PM
Post #48 of 51 (5322 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xtrmecat] First solo rappel today. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

xtrmecat wrote:

And here lies one of the problems, potentially. There is no line in the sand that allows someone to be an expert, or even an instructor in this fine portion of the globe. Just say you are a new enthusiast, trained on the internet, with skills untried, and sound confident and you can fool about 75% of the folks. There are probably no "experts" at any REI. The only experts I know are AMGA and I am not aware of any giving away their trade, while working retail.
I do however know some very good climbers whose opinions I value, that instruct and teach climbing, for real money, and in a real college and classroom/outdoor environment. These are closer to expert, and maybe it is their humility, but none classify themselves as experts. Just avid enthusiasts.
And like myself, enjoy conversation about climbing, gear, climbs and the such, but I cannot recall any of us not being able to learn new methods, tricks, or reasons to quite practices we all used to take for granted were "OK".
If you are indeed not a troll, then please take the advice of the wise ones above and seek out a true professional or even an expert. The intardnet is filled up with many people who are self proclaimed experts, believe it or not. To discuss methods and such online leave many openings for bad advice, which by now I should be able to spot easily enough. Maybe not so easy for a new person.
To seek instruction online by a beginner, is entirely another matter. If you wish to take advice given by some of these "experts", then please heed this caution. Who pays the consequences for you believing an almost completely anonymous persons advice. Certainly not what I'm willing to risk.
Find a mentor, friend who knows more, or hire some proper instruction until you earn your salt, then come back here and converse of a passion/sickness that consumes most of your thoughts and has consumed most of your life/time. That would be my best advice on how to rap, single line or double, gri-gri or ATC.
Bob

you guys are turning rappelling into brain surgery. it's just not that fucking difficult. yes, people can learn from books or even from other people on the interwebs. no, that doesn't mean you're going to die. just be careful out there.

Becknology

May 11, 2009, 6:56 PM
Post #49 of 51 (5205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Add my voice to the crowd. Your questions are beyond this forum. Research guide services in your area. And like several have said, make sure your guide is AMGA certified. A climbing gym is better than nothing, but there is no guarantee that you will be taught correctly because so many gyms just hire anyone claiming "experience." And REI employees are just that, professional REI employees. The green vest doesn't mean they know what they're talking about. (No offense to anyone.)

If you're really interested in proper ropework, and it seems you are, invest in training from a real professional: an individual certified by the American Mountain Guides Association.

Sure there are loads of competent climbers who could help you. But you don't know who they are. So like xtrmecat said, the AMGA provides that "line in the sand."

And don't rappel off that bridge in the picture. That's stupid. Find some rock.

wiki

May 12, 2009, 2:01 AM
Post #50 of 51 (5180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are only interested in abseiling (not climbing) it might be worth getting gear specifically designed for abseiling. Grigris and ATCs are not great for super-long drops as they heat up too much.

This is a good site for info and gear. http://www.petzl.com/...s-and-confined-space

The rope-access technical pdf at the bottom has instructions on how to set up your back-up on a separate line.

The I.d and ASAP are a great combination.

As everyone else has said - Get someone who knows what they are doing to help you out and show you how to use the equipment

Be safe and have fun! Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook