RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

alamuerte

Apr 27, 2009, 4:59 PM
Post #1 of 25 (4453 views)
Shortcut

New Climbing Gym in Athens, GA!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yo. There is a new climbing gym open in Athens called Active Climbing.

The gym is still being finished, but right now, it consists of lots of wall space everywhere from vertical to 60 degrees to an overhanging 'S' wall that is really sweet. It will have a top-outable bouldering wall, yoga and aerobics classes, training equipment, an entirely separate beginners climbing area, a bistro, showers, and a VIP room!

Check it out!

http://activeclimbing.com

there is also an active climbing facebook page with more pictures and info!

davetheboulderer

May 6, 2009, 3:25 PM
Post #2 of 25 (4387 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alamuerte] New Climbing Gym in Athens, GA! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I was there last week. It did not live up to my hopes at all. The UGA wall isn't the best either but it's about double the height of the walls at Active, plus it's free if you're a student. Also, the non stop techno music was pretty annoying. The S wall was cool, but it's pretty small, maybe 5 feet wide, everything else was just flat and vertical.

alamuerte

May 6, 2009, 8:19 PM
Post #3 of 25 (4366 views)
Shortcut

Re: [davetheboulderer] New Climbing Gym in Athens, GA! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Dear daveTHEBOULDERER,

Your senses have obviously misled you. True, the UGA wall is double the height of Active wall, but you have to weigh your options. You can do some highball bouldering with quality problems at active, or you can do 40ft routes with poo for routes at UGA. Now that the gym is open, the quality route setters at UGA will be putting their efforts into active. I would think that your bouldering desires would draw you towards active rather than UGA where the bouldering wall is sub par.

As for the techno music, romanians run the place, you'll get some of that every once in a while but, um, have you ever been to a gym before? you're likely to find that elsewhere as well and nowhere is going to play music that you love for every single one of your sessions. Actually, I've spent 4-5 days a week up there for the last 2-3 months and have only heard techno a handful of times. If you had asked questions then you would have found out that they would have let you plug in your own music to listen to.

You also would have found out that there is much more to be built there including a completely separate beginners climbing area, and a free standing, top-outtable bouldering wall and cave. plus a mezanine for yoga and training tools along with a bistro/cafe. did you fail to see the huge lead roof?

only maybe 1/6th of the climbing area is flat/vertical.

The S wall, by the way, is the bomb. it is 30ft wide.

maybe you visited the wrong gym.

come by again when you learn that climbing isn't all about realistic looking walls with plastic screwed into them. Introduce yourself and hopefully someone will show you a good time.

(This post was edited by alamuerte on May 6, 2009, 9:05 PM)

jrucci

May 9, 2009, 2:51 AM
Post #4 of 25 (4291 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by jrucci [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

subantz

May 10, 2009, 1:49 PM
Post #5 of 25 (4245 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jrucci] New Climbing Gym in Athens, GA! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I erased my post because it had nothing nice to say. I had been a real jerk and I am sorry if I hurt anyones feelings.

(This post was edited by subantz on Jun 4, 2009, 4:36 PM)

davetheboulderer

May 14, 2009, 4:18 AM
Post #6 of 25 (4160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, you Active climbers are pretty hostile. That's the main reason why I didn't enjoy climbing there, because the climbers at Active are ego driven, grade chasing, muscle heads. And oh yeah, the walls and routes were boring. Thanks to all the climbing crew at Active Climbing for reminding me why I normally only climb outside.

alamuerte

May 14, 2009, 1:42 PM
Post #7 of 25 (4132 views)
Shortcut

Re: [subantz] New Climbing Gym in Athens, GA! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

subantz, I'm dissapointed in you. My impression of you has been positive of you up until this point. Reading all your posts up til now has lead me to believe that you were an advocate of southern climbing and were interested in furthering the sport in the southeast and in Athens. I guess I was wrong.

why are you two hating so hard on the new gym? you both f'ing suck and are a disgrace to climbers in general. maybe the active and athens isn't for you but don't f'ing put down a new establishment that serves to promote we are all supposed to know and love. The place serves to bring climbers together, make them stronger, and provide for new climbers to get going. Please, both of you, stay away from this place as it will only serve to be counterproductive to all these things.

Also, subantz, I located a yonah topo, was going to send it to you, now you cant have it. I don't want you or your crew infecting some of the lesser bouldering spots in the south with your negativity...or any of them at all really.

subantz

May 15, 2009, 1:12 AM
Post #8 of 25 (4097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the Topo, But I have one. I also have topos to most of the areas in Ga. thanks for the thought. Second, I don't roll with a "Crew" Homes,I climb for the fun of it with friends. I am just saying Athens does not have to much to offer to a climber. As for a place to train Shaking Rock had a couple of problems worth doing. As for the gym its whatever. You should be old enough to accept negative critisizm, Its apart of life. Sorry if you were hurt by something I said. The southeast is a special place in its own. I am here not going anywhere. Dont be so bent out of shape. If you see me and my friends"CREW" and you need a spot or belay. No problem. Until then........P OUT

ActiveClimbing

May 18, 2009, 10:31 PM
Post #9 of 25 (3978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Everybody,

Thank you for your nice and also spicy words !
Glad to hear some comments about the place. It will get better for sure, and I wished the warehouse was 60 feet tall, but there are no tall buildings here in Athens. I still have the plan on putting an outdoor wall, that's down the road. It was a wild ride to get to this point, but I don't expect everybody to like it or show any sympathy . I'm trying to make everybody happy, but it won't happens, I know it. You can climb outdoor in the heat right now, or come here and climb at 65 F. As far as the music, I have always asked for what climbers wants to listen. I'm open to everybody and all I want is to make you and everybody else feel welcome here.
Hopefully next time you'll come, if you still want, you'll see a lot more. But it will not happened over night, this process is not as easy and for sure not cheap. But we'll get there.
Take care and remember :
KEEP CLIMBING !
Adrian

sf

May 19, 2009, 8:03 PM
Post #10 of 25 (3927 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by sf [In reply to]
Report this Post

subantz

May 19, 2009, 10:15 PM
Post #11 of 25 (3917 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sf] New Climbing Gym in Athens, GA! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I say Active climbing holds a Clean up day for Shaking rock. That would support the climbing community. When I was there it was trashed. Glass every where the benches were torn apart erosion on the path, More glass. You get it, Athens clean up your crag. When you go to Boatrock is it a mess? Likely not. Take pride in what you have even though it isn't much and by doing so it would be a more enjoyable experience for the visitors who come there and the locals who live and climb there. SEC why is there no clean up day for Shaking Rock?

johnwesely

May 19, 2009, 10:41 PM
Post #12 of 25 (3907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not absolving Athens climbers of their responsibility to keep shaking rock clean because it would be really easy to pack out the trash left by others, but I highly doubt climbers are the main user group at shaking rock. I go occasionally, but I am the kind of guy who can love climbing anything. Even eight foot boulders at shaking rock. I have never seen another climber there, and I have never heard anyone talking about shaking rock at all. Because of how rarely climbers visit it, I am not surprised that it is trashed. I don't think that I really said anything there.

styndall

May 19, 2009, 10:56 PM
Post #13 of 25 (3904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shaking Rock belongs to stoned Lexington-area teenagers with spray cans much more than to climbers. I've seen lots of climbers up there, and when I still lived around, I packed out some trash. A few climbers every now and again can't hold back the rural Georgia tide.

ActiveClimbing

May 20, 2009, 1:04 AM
Post #14 of 25 (3892 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like how you like to blame somebody else for stuff that you can do yourself. Let me suggest you something here:
How about you Subantz will organize something to clean up the place you like and climb. You do that, and then, we may come and help you with it. Even if I'm new to the area and never climbed at Shaking Rock, I would like to come and support that clean up day. I can put an ad here at the gym, but you have to be nice, you know ... nice like a climber type of nice.
It may be painful for you to try that, but I've got somehow confidence in you. SEC supports a lot of places, but still they cannot cover everything. Have you offered some money for their actions ? Are you an member with them ? Do something positive for a change. I'm sure climbers that climbs here at Active, got nice manners, and when we go climb outdoor we pick up trash, so it may be some other people that trash the place. We all can make a difference.
Stay in touch,
Adrian

(This post was edited by ActiveClimbing on May 20, 2009, 1:07 AM)

subantz

May 20, 2009, 2:15 AM
Post #15 of 25 (3876 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ActiveClimbing] New Climbing Gym in Athens, GA! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been to multiple clean ups and also donated to the cause. Personally I was disturbed by the way the place looked. I still found it to hold some decent problems. If you saw the place you would understand its in shambles. Worse than I have ever seen at Sandrock. I also understand its probably local kids trashing the place. So it is in most cases. It seems to be a convenient place to party for hoodlums on the weekend looking for a out of the way place to get drunk. I would like to see a trail day for a few other crags as well. but thats nor here or there.

chaingang

May 20, 2009, 3:09 AM
Post #16 of 25 (3867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adrian, I've climbed in your presence at Atlanta Rocks and when you were still part of the show at Adrenaline. I've always thought a lot of your good manner and have heard positive words from others when referring to you. I hope to someday have the opportunity to climb at Active. For now, best of luck with your new endeavor. I'm certain it will become, if not yet, a quality indoor climbing facility.

ActiveClimbing

May 21, 2009, 3:27 PM
Post #17 of 25 (3820 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chaingang] New Climbing Gym in Athens, GA! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you for your nice words. I have always tried my best to get my team to respect others, to take care of the environment and in life in general. I believe that climbing does something good to people, and is for sure a nice life style to have.
I'm trying to build something here in Athens that will bring together the climbers and create a super relax atmosphere for everyone to enjoy. It will take a while, but so far, for the most part, everybody seems to enjoy climbing here.
Let me know when you are heading this way and I'll be glad to show you around and maybe climb together.
Keep climbing,
Adrian

tj2be1

May 29, 2009, 1:05 AM
Post #18 of 25 (3683 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ActiveClimbing] New Climbing Gym in Athens, GA! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dearest lenny,
you contradicted yourself, in your first post you said shaking rock sucks and was only ten feet tall, then you are crying for us to clean it up for you because there are some quality problems. make up your mind.
dearest dave,
i dont believe that if someone is stronger then you at climbing means they are a muscle head, as for people grade chasing, if we were grade chasing, please explain why there are no grades on any of the problems...we tape what we find fun, creative, and interesting
as for both of you....no one in athens knows who you are, where your from or where you climb yet you act as if you know the athens climbing scene. next time you are measuring the height of a gym, bring a meter stick and let me know if you need me to tell you which side is for centimeters and which side is for inches.

(This post was edited by tj2be1 on May 29, 2009, 1:11 AM)

johnwesely

May 29, 2009, 1:14 AM
Post #19 of 25 (3670 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tj2be1] New Climbing Gym in Athens, GA! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tj2be1 wrote:
bring a meter stick and let me know if you need me to tell you which side is for centimeters and which side is for inches.

That's what she said.

subantz

May 29, 2009, 1:34 AM
Post #20 of 25 (3655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The place looks like woodstock after everyone left. So yes I would say it needs a cleaning. As for a place I would travel to again. Not likely, although if there is a trail day I will be there. I have tools and already posted a call for help on the SEC website. I think fall would be the best time, I am not to fond of the heat or ticks. So I guess we need help at Currahee also any one interested. Some donations for mulch, trash bags, Lumber for bench. ETC... So until then I will do my part in helping you clean your crag. I will provide lumber. Also a flyer in the gyms and shops around town would be in order. But as I said fall. Yes I did contradict myself. Then I realized I was an ass. Doesnt mean that a few good problems make a great crag or gym.

tj2be1

May 29, 2009, 2:07 AM
Post #21 of 25 (3644 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the fall it is then, ill be around, only have classes on tues and thursday. Im sure we could round up many more people

prophetgtree

Jun 2, 2009, 4:25 PM
Post #22 of 25 (3521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If we can do some fact checking here, you might find that the climbers from UGA (a lot of us on here) hosted clean-up days at Shaking Rock two years in a row (In May of 2007 and 2008). I have some photos if you'd like. I would challenge anyone to find a spec of trash after we were done after those events. I'm sorry we can't monitor the park 24/365, but we have done our part.

I welcome anyone to come climb with us at Active. It was opened because of a high demand from us locally to have a place to train and climb under the pretense that the gym was not finished yet. Despite not being finished, it is still a great place to climb. If you simply cannot stand the unfinished mileu, then come climb after the grand opening and try again.

Most of all, please don't put down something so unique to the Athens community. Not everyone who lives in athens attends UGA, and therefore doesn't get to use UGA facilities, the climbing wall for example, for free. If you don't want to climb at Active, that is your prerogative, but don't aim your negativity at someone who is trying to embrace the climbing (and Athens) community. Adrian has been positive and open to the friendly suggestions made.

(This post was edited by prophetgtree on Jun 2, 2009, 4:26 PM)

subantz

Jun 2, 2009, 8:33 PM
Post #23 of 25 (3493 views)
Shortcut

Re: [prophetgtree] New Climbing Gym in Athens, GA! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well it looks as if the SEC and company are going to hold a clean up this fall. Would you like to come and help. I had brought it to there attention. BTW what happened to the benches? Also Currahee may get a clean up as well. So when its time get your gloves, and shovels and help spread mulch. Fix erosion problems. and so on. I will repair your benches free of charge. O.K now see you in the fall hey. Maybe all the kids from Active and UGA can come out and lend some help. As for the climbing in Athens. I will probably Never climb at Active or UGA wall. I would rather go to climb outside. I wish I had taken more pics there

tj2be1

Jun 3, 2009, 12:13 AM
Post #24 of 25 (3474 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i would hope that if you are a climber, you would rather climb outside than in any gym. besides that, i wouldnt expect you to drive to athens to climb at either of these places because you dont live here, and you are not a student. as for the benches, i must of forgot to put a new tape in my security camera, so i dont know the culprits, ill contact the local police.

subantz

Jun 4, 2009, 4:33 PM
Post #25 of 25 (3421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have contacted the town of Lexington and am waiting for a reply. If we get a go ahead we will be holding a trail day some where torward the end of August or beginning of September. Does anyone know when school at UGA starts back. We will pick up trash, Clean glass, possibly clean some of the more obscene paint on the rock, Hopefully fix the benches and have a bouldering section when finished. Adrian, Brad from the SEC may contact you for help from your team. O.k I will set a date as soon as Lexington calls back.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook