Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

JoshuaTucker

Jul 2, 2009, 4:14 AM
Post #1 of 49 (9322 views)
Shortcut

The Bone Broth Thread
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm starting/moving this thread from a thread with a different topic. It seems to have generated a lot of excitement.

The topic: Bone Broth as a powerful tool to keep your tendons and connective tissue strong.

Onceahardman said:

"The claim was this:

[Protein intake in general absolutely does have a great deal to do with the development of Tendonitis.]

That is not the same as saying bone-stock soups are nutritious. If eating bone soup cures tendinitis, then answer this:

Please limit your response to actually defending the claim."

It's pretty simple to defend that claim.

If a person does not have enough protein intake, then the tendon doesn't have the building blocks it needs to heal well/quickly from the wear and tear damage that leads to Tendinitis.

Perhaps I should instead have made the claim "Insufficient protein intake absolutely does play a role in the development of Tendonitis."

I think the way I said it has people hear 'if you eat enough protein you won't get tendonitis'. That's not what I'm saying.

Onceahardman said:

"Well, collagen and gelatin are both proteins. You are inflating your claim, either through ignorance or intentionally."

I think I was breaking down my claim into more detail.

Collagen and gelatin are materials made up of a variety of ingredients, including amino acids and protein fibers. Different ratios, different amounts, etc. They are not identical.

"When you say, "minerals", what minerals do you mean, exactly?"

I mean calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, silicon, sulphur and trace minerals. Including the broken down material from cartilage and tendons--stuff like chondroitin sulphates and glucosamine.

"Is it your position that MEAT does not contain components of connective tissue? Or calcium? Or a complete amino acid profile (as you earlier stated)?"

I'm not saying that meat does not contain a complete amino acid profile or components of connective tissue. Obviously it does. I'm saying there's more of the latter in broth.

I am not saying that meat doesn't contain calcium. I am saying that bone broth contains more calcium than meat.

"Why is it that I, who have eaten my mother's delicious, old-school, northern European bone soup recipes for my entire life, have had tendinitis that resolved quickly with the application of manual therapy, REGARDLESS of my soup consumption? "

I don't know. I wasn't there, and I've never worked on you so I don't know what your specific Tendonitis situation is.

One possible reason is that you've eaten your mother's delicious, old-school, northern European bone soup recipes for your entire life and thus have a physical history of having strong healthy tendons, and then your manual therapist's work supports your ability to resolve your Tendintis quickly.

Or it could be that you only have minor wear and tear injury, or just a nervous system overresponding to the strain of climbing, and that most of your pain is caused by too tight muscles and an Inflammation Process that the manual therapy effectively deals with.

Lots of possibilities.

marc801

Jul 2, 2009, 4:52 AM
Post #2 of 49 (9297 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JoshuaTucker] The Bone Broth Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

JoshuaTucker wrote:
Collagen and gelatin are materials made up of a variety of ingredients, including amino acids and protein fibers.
Wrong.
Collagen and gelatin are proteins, meaning, by definition, they are made exclusively of chains of amino acids, nothing else. There is no "variety of ingredients". Gelatin can be obtained from the partial hydrolysis of collagen. You might want to get your biochem correct before asking us to believe your health claims. Ah, but we see from your web site that you're a massage therapist with zero medical or biochemistry credentials. Selling a self help bit of probably harmless but overpriced snake oil.

Yet another internet scammer spamming a discussion forum.
Yawn.

seatbeltpants

Jul 2, 2009, 5:01 AM
Post #3 of 49 (9293 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i'll go first - probably fair enough seeing as i was the one who flagged that part of your post for further, er, discussion...

assuming that everything you say is spot on, my question would be exactly how much of your bone broth you'd need to consume to make any appreciable difference to your nutrient intake. i mean, what % of your broth will be anything other than water? 1%? 2%?

for the sake of argument let's go nuts and say that it's 5% solids. on your website you state "I fry three eggs in 6 tablespoons of cold broth". six tablespoons is 90 grams of water, so your broth mix is perhaps less than 5 grams of solids. assuming that's 100% protein, it's less protein than is in a single egg, less than is in what, half an ounce of chicken, tuna, or steak?

and the amount of calcium in that? i have no idea, but i think it'd be a safe bet to assume it's less than a glass of milk would contain.

i'm just thinking as i type, so feel free to tear me apart here. as a last point, i'm wondering if you couldn't get the same benefits with a whole lot less effort just by gnawing on a cartilage loaded chicken wing...

scoff that crunchy sucker and call it good?

steve

(This post was edited by seatbeltpants on Jul 2, 2009, 5:02 AM)

JoshuaTucker

Jul 2, 2009, 5:13 AM
Post #4 of 49 (9288 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] The Bone Broth Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wrong? A variety of amino acids in different amounts and varieties, that make up protein fibers to make different structures/materials. That collagen and gelatin aren't exactly the same?

But you're right. No Biochem degree for me. I apologize for not being skilled enough in my language.

I also sincerely apologize for joining the forum, finding a discussion, and excitedly offering a suggestion of something that I'm not selling in hopes that someone might benefit.

From the results, I clearly did that in a very poor way.

I hereby withdraw all suggestion of bone broth as being something good for Tendonitis.

JoshuaTucker

Jul 2, 2009, 5:20 AM
Post #5 of 49 (9282 views)
Shortcut

Re: [seatbeltpants] The Bone Broth Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

seatbeltpants wrote:

i'm just thinking as i type, so feel free to tear me apart here. as a last point, i'm wondering if you couldn't get the same benefits with a whole lot less effort just by gnawing on a cartilage loaded chicken wing...

steve

Probably. Smile

I'm pretty sure there's no empirical evidence for gnawing on a cartilage loaded chicken wing.

And I'm sure as hell not going to suggest it as an option. I've been admonished aplenty, and am an opponent of 'chicken wing therapy' anyway.

(This post was edited by JoshuaTucker on Jul 2, 2009, 6:56 AM)

reno

Jul 2, 2009, 5:35 AM
Post #6 of 49 (9278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, seriously.

You are so far out of your comfort zone, it ain't funny.

Aerili and Hardman have forgotten more about athletic performance and nutrition than you know. Each, individually.

I feel for you. Really do. I've no doubt you mean well, and your intentions are good, moral, and pure.

In the end, though, you're the guy that brought a knife to a gun fight.

marc801

Jul 2, 2009, 5:39 AM
Post #7 of 49 (9276 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

JoshuaTucker wrote:
Wrong? A variety of amino acids in different amounts and varieties, that make up protein fibers to make different structures/materials.
But that's not what you said. What, now you want us to explain to you what you wrote?

JoshuaTucker

Jul 2, 2009, 6:06 AM
Post #8 of 49 (9264 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] The Bone Broth Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
Dude, seriously.

I feel for you. Really do. I've no doubt you mean well, and your intentions are good, moral, and pure.

Yes, I certainly do feel like I stepped into an ongoing fight. Kinda sucks, but hey, that's the internet for ya.

ryanb

Jul 2, 2009, 6:21 AM
Post #9 of 49 (9253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

seatbeltpants wrote:
i'll go first - probably fair enough seeing as i was the one who flagged that part of your post for further, er, discussion...

assuming that everything you say is spot on, my question would be exactly how much of your bone broth you'd need to consume to make any appreciable difference to your nutrient intake. i mean, what % of your broth will be anything other than water? 1%? 2%?

for the sake of argument let's go nuts and say that it's 5% solids. on your website you state "I fry three eggs in 6 tablespoons of cold broth". six tablespoons is 90 grams of water, so your broth mix is perhaps less than 5 grams of solids. assuming that's 100% protein, it's less protein than is in a single egg, less than is in what, half an ounce of chicken, tuna, or steak?

and the amount of calcium in that? i have no idea, but i think it'd be a safe bet to assume it's less than a glass of milk would contain.

steve

A little time with google scholar reveals that bone broth is actually quite nutrient packed when compared to broth made from other tissues. Check out this food industry abstract:

http://www.fstadirect.com/...px?AN=1987-08-T-0035

There are also some non scholarly articles that assert that it contains glucosamine and chondroitin which are widely used by climbers as joint supplements and normally sourced from either see shells, shark bones or ground cow joints i believe:

http://www.google.com/...q=f&oq=&aqi=

I have to say, I think JoshuaTucker is on to something and the rest of you are pulling some knee jerk reactionary BS, though I suppose the only way we will really know is if we convince adatsman to buy a mass spec.

EDIT because this site doesn't make links on its own.

(This post was edited by ryanb on Jul 2, 2009, 6:22 AM)

irregularpanda

Jul 2, 2009, 8:14 AM
Post #10 of 49 (9224 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ryanb] The Bone Broth Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ryanb wrote:

the only way we will really know is if we convince adatsman to buy a mass spec.

Ummm, you live in washington. Did you know that if you drive down to Evergreen (the hippy college) you can sign up to perform any fucking spectroscopy that you want to?

Lab 1- 2nd floor. First you have to take the 3 simple introductory/not gonna break something tests. Those are free.
Then, you can prep any sample you want to and run anything.
GCMS, FTNMR, FTIR - The list goes on, these were just the toys I played with, for free.

irregularpanda

Jul 2, 2009, 8:18 AM
Post #11 of 49 (9223 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] The Bone Broth Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
Dude, seriously.

You are so far out of your comfort zone, it ain't funny.

Aerili and Hardman have forgotten more about athletic performance and nutrition than you know. Each, individually.

I agree, this could be interesting. The thing that I find funny is that people never mention that an important component to delivering glucosamine and chondroiton to tendons is..... vitamin C. I could be wrong, I don't think I am though.

onceahardman

Jul 2, 2009, 11:12 AM
Post #12 of 49 (9209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JoshuaTucker wrote:
I'm starting/moving this thread from a thread with a different topic. It seems to have generated a lot of excitement.

The topic: Bone Broth as a powerful tool to keep your tendons and connective tissue strong.

Onceahardman said:

"The claim was this:

[Protein intake in general absolutely does have a great deal to do with the development of Tendonitis.]

That is not the same as saying bone-stock soups are nutritious. If eating bone soup cures tendinitis, then answer this:

If a person does not have enough protein intake, then the tendon doesn't have the building blocks it needs to heal well/quickly from the wear and tear damage that leads to Tendinitis.

Perhaps I should instead have made the claim "Insufficient protein intake absolutely does play a role in the development of Tendonitis."

I think the way I said it has people hear 'if you eat enough protein you won't get tendonitis'. That's not what I'm saying.

Onceahardman said:

"Well, collagen and gelatin are both proteins. You are inflating your claim, either through ignorance or intentionally."

Collagen and gelatin are materials made up of a variety of ingredients, including amino acids and protein fibers. Different ratios, different amounts, etc. They are not identical.

I mean calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, silicon, sulphur and trace minerals. Including the broken down material from cartilage and tendons--stuff like chondroitin sulphates and glucosamine.

"Is it your position that MEAT does not contain components of connective tissue? Or calcium? Or a complete amino acid profile (as you earlier stated)?"

I'm not saying that meat does not contain a complete amino acid profile or components of connective tissue. Obviously it does. I'm saying there's more of the latter in broth.

I am not saying that meat doesn't contain calcium. I am saying that bone broth contains more calcium than meat.

"Why is it that I, who have eaten my mother's delicious, old-school, northern European bone soup recipes for my entire life, have had tendinitis that resolved quickly with the application of manual therapy, REGARDLESS of my soup consumption? "

I don't know. I wasn't there, and I've never worked on you so I don't know what your specific Tendonitis situation is.

One possible reason is that you've eaten your mother's delicious, old-school, northern European bone soup recipes for your entire life and thus have a physical history of having strong healthy tendons, and then your manual therapist's work supports your ability to resolve your Tendintis quickly.

Or it could be that you only have minor wear and tear injury, or just a nervous system overresponding to the strain of climbing, and that most of your pain is caused by too tight muscles and an Inflammation Process that the manual therapy effectively deals with.

Lots of possibilities.

Your premise is, "Low protein intake has a lot to do with the development of tendinitis."

You have provided no evidence in support of your premise.

For example, do people with protein starvation (Kwashiorkor) have a higher incidence of tendinitis? I don't know. Perhaps you could look and see.

How many people who can afford to travel and climb, and live in modern counties, actually have a protein deficit? Is tendinitis more prevalent in vegetarians? Don't know. But these are the things you should be asking in support of your premise.

It would be great if your stuff worked. Just try to prove it.

mounter

Jul 2, 2009, 11:54 AM
Post #13 of 49 (9196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I said it in the previous thread, and I'll say it here.

I've got your bone broth right here in my pants. ...that's what I think about this whole thing.

yodadave

Jul 2, 2009, 12:26 PM
Post #14 of 49 (9173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just to preface my comments i have not read the whole website nor could i find the original thread that sparked all this. (link anyone?)

However............

seatbeltpants wrote:
on your website you state "I fry three eggs in 6 tablespoons of cold broth".

In doing searches on tendonitis there are plenty that recommend eggs for tendonitis so maybe the eggs are doing more for tucker than his broth.

stuff from the 90's talks about a compound called CDS-1 found in chicken embryos that helps heal tendons through the production of pro collagen.

flippy04

Jul 2, 2009, 12:39 PM
Post #15 of 49 (9171 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a bone broth believer. That sh!t really works.

sidepull

Jul 2, 2009, 12:47 PM
Post #16 of 49 (9167 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mounter] The Bone Broth Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mounter wrote:
I said it in the previous thread, and I'll say it here.

I've got your bone broth right here in my pants. ...that's what I think about this whole thing.

it was witty once.

mounter

Jul 2, 2009, 12:49 PM
Post #17 of 49 (9164 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] The Bone Broth Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Second thread = second chance to comment

sidepull

Jul 2, 2009, 2:56 PM
Post #18 of 49 (9120 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] The Bone Broth Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
JoshuaTucker wrote:

Onceahardman said:

"The claim was this:

Onceahardman said:

Lots of possibilities.

Your premise is, "Low protein intake has a lot to do with the development of tendinitis."

You have provided no evidence in support of your premise.

For example, do people with protein starvation (Kwashiorkor) have a higher incidence of tendinitis? I don't know. Perhaps you could look and see.

How many people who can afford to travel and climb, and live in modern counties, actually have a protein deficit? Is tendinitis more prevalent in vegetarians? Don't know. But these are the things you should be asking in support of your premise.

It would be great if your stuff worked. Just try to prove it.

I realize this has to do with bones not tendons, but it seems relevant and serendipitous:

http://news.yahoo.com/...dietaustraliavietnam

Of course there is this little tid-bit about the difference between statistical significance and practical significance: "But the magnitude of the association is clinically insignificant."

JoshuaTucker

Jul 2, 2009, 5:40 PM
Post #19 of 49 (9077 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mounter] The Bone Broth Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mounter wrote:
Second thread = second chance to comment

You mean, 15th chance to get called a name and covertly/overtly insulted.

Last I heard, arguments on the internet never go well. It will end with somebody getting called a Soup Nazi.

I don't really want to fight with the soup in your pants.

Disagreement and debate. Cool.

All this aggressiveness. Not so interesting.

md3

Jul 2, 2009, 5:56 PM
Post #20 of 49 (9051 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] The Bone Broth Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OddPanda wrote
In reply to:
Did you know that if you drive down to Evergreen (the hippy college) you can sign up to perform any fucking spectroscopy that you want to?

I know there is a hippy college near where I live too. I sure hope they will let me perform some fucking spectroscopy there. "Are you going to let me in so I can do my fucking spectroscopy or not? Get out of my way, I'm here fore the fucking spectroscopy, and don't try to tell me I cant do any fucking type of spectroscopy I want."

ryanb

Jul 2, 2009, 6:02 PM
Post #21 of 49 (9042 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
ryanb wrote:

Ummm, you live in washington. Did you know that if you drive down to Evergreen (the hippy college) you can sign up to perform any fucking spectroscopy that you want to?

Lab 1- 2nd floor. First you have to take the 3 simple introductory/not gonna break something tests. Those are free.
GCMS, FTNMR, FTIR - The list goes on, these were just the toys I played with, for free.

"Oh yeah any of you hippies can bring any samples you want in here and run tests to identify them for us."

Nice try DEA.

We have a pretty heavyweight mass spec facility where I work...we are even getting an orbitrap... but I don't think they would like a software engineer pouring a thermos of soup in it to see if it would help his fingers.

irregularpanda

Jul 2, 2009, 6:49 PM
Post #22 of 49 (9013 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ryanb] The Bone Broth Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ryanb wrote:
irregularpanda wrote:
ryanb wrote:

"Oh yeah any of you hippies can bring any samples you want in here and run tests to identify them for us."

Nice try DEA.

We have a pretty heavyweight mass spec facility where I work...we are even getting an orbitrap... but I don't think they would like a software engineer pouring a thermos of soup in it to see if it would help his fingers.

Actually, they would let you do that, for free. It's open to the community, you just have to sign up for 3 classes and learn how to prep your samples properly.

There's no DEA involved, it's pretty much just a school that allows the community to work with its spectroscopy equipment. YOu don't have to believe me, I'm just letting you know.

ryanb

Jul 2, 2009, 6:54 PM
Post #23 of 49 (9004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
ryanb wrote:
irregularpanda wrote:
ryanb wrote:

Nice try DEA.

Actually, they would let you do that, for free. It's open to the community, you just have to sign up for 3 classes and learn how to prep your samples properly.

There's no DEA involved, it's pretty much just a school that allows the community to work with its spectroscopy equipment. YOu don't have to believe me, I'm just letting you know.

I know, evergreen is a cool place...a few of my friends and climbing partners went there. Half joking but i'm still convinced that if a certain signature shows up in your results the DEA will come a knocking.

They definitely wouldn't let me pour soup in any of the machines here, most of them grind away pull time working on high throughput proteomics.

marc801

Jul 2, 2009, 7:47 PM
Post #24 of 49 (8991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JoshuaTucker wrote:
Disagreement and debate. Cool.
All this aggressiveness. Not so interesting.
You're dispensing health and nutrition information and touting dietary supplements. With no professional credibility, no clinical studies, and zero proof that any of it works. Your arguments for the efficacy of BB aren't even internally consistent eg: first you say that insufficient protein is a basis for tendinitis and that bone broth can help in that regard (conveniently not mentioning how desperately small an amount of protein is actually contained in BB). Then you go and invalidate any claims for BB by admitting to cooking eggs in it. What's more, the protein contained in BB is more easily obtained from other sources in much greater concentration - eat an 8oz steak for example.

Disagreement and debate is fine when conducted from knowledgeable positions. Bull shit health claims with no validity are certainly going to be met with aggressiveness. Especially toward someone who stands to make money off of the claims.

hafilax

Jul 2, 2009, 7:49 PM
Post #25 of 49 (8990 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] The Bone Broth Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bone broth soup=troll food

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook