RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

kiwiprincess

Jul 9, 2009, 9:42 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1312 views)
Shortcut

Winter Multi pitch pack
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Please help me with suggestions of what to look at for my new winter Multi pitch pack. Obviously needs stows for tools and crampons. The rest of what I want is below

Waist belt
I'm thinking just tape since on my current pack it covers the harness and I have trouble stowing my axes mixed climbing, and the pack loops aren't good for tools. ANY suggestions on this problem welcome.

Not too long in the back
I'm 5 4 and don't want it hitting my helmet when i look up

Lots of cinching
Probably want 40ish L, but want to be able to pull it in close when it's just got a Downie and drink in it.

nattfodd

Jul 10, 2009, 7:45 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1265 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kiwiprincess] Winter Multi pitch pack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Osprey does really good stuff. I have and love the Mutant 38, used it for mountaineering and rock climbing both, even managed to strap skis on it. If you only plan to use it for winter climbing, then the Variant might be better adapted.

joeforte

Jul 10, 2009, 11:08 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nattfodd] Winter Multi pitch pack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd check out the cilogear 30L. The hipbelt is removable, so you can replace it with something skinny if you want while you climb. It also carries tools well, can carry skis, and has a bunch of gear loop options as well. They are great packs.

swaghole

Jul 10, 2009, 11:45 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a big fan of the Deuter guide series. I've got the Guide 45. It feels smaller then the volume suggests but it works well for long ice/alpine approaches and cinches down nicely when you need to climb with it.

http://www.deuterusa.com/...lpine.php?tert=guide

I can attach my ice tools and/or ice axe and crampons on the outside of the pack without fear of losing them. The pack fits high so the harness is always accessible. The pack can be stripped down if you need to go ultra-light. The padded hip belt can be removed so only the 2" webbing belt remains on the pack. The foam insert can be removed and makes a nice butt pad.

I also have the Black Diamond Sphinx 35 (short version). I would highly recommend this pack. It has virtually all the same features as the Guide series from Deuter and fits high on the back so access to the harness isn't a problem.

gimmeslack

Jul 10, 2009, 12:40 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1224 views)
Shortcut

Re: [swaghole] Winter Multi pitch pack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cold Cold World Valdez.

Bomber.
Strappy.
Light.
Versatile.
Made in USA.

billcoe_

Jul 10, 2009, 1:33 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1209 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joeforte] Winter Multi pitch pack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cilogear fer sure.

http://www.cilogear.com/

mikeswiz

Jul 10, 2009, 1:45 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use the Granite Gear Alpine Vapor. It's light, comfy and has a hypalon patch for your pons. I just wish they kept the old straps for the tools, the new ones are kind of a pain with heavy gloves on.

sungam

Jul 12, 2009, 4:10 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1145 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nattfodd] Winter Multi pitch pack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nattfodd wrote:
Osprey does really good stuff. I have and love the Mutant 38, used it for mountaineering and rock climbing both, even managed to strap skis on it. If you only plan to use it for winter climbing, then the Variant might be better adapted.
I think that, while osprey is good, they have too much pointless/overengineered bits on. Sure are comfy though.
Cilogear is good in my experience (which is limited to the V1 packs). I've heard they blow out fairly often, and I've had two seams blow on me - The first was at the top closure draw cord on my 60L, which I have to say happened kinda easily, though I was pure crankin' on it. The second was the left shoulder area attachment on the lid, again I tightened it too hard and yanked it off.
I've heard nothing but good things about CCW, and apparently the V3 Cilo's are just fucking truck, but without the seam issues (they are now made in Oregon, too. So you can support the US economy).

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook