RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

nevertheless

Jul 10, 2009, 3:53 AM
Post #1 of 23 (7257 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by nevertheless
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

ladyscarlett

Jul 10, 2009, 4:50 AM
Post #2 of 23 (7241 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nevertheless] shirtless climbing women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're serious about being hot and wanting to strip the shirt, well... the real question would be why not?

Personally, I say if you're hot, go for being cooler, especially if everyone around you is already in various states of undress...

But one has to assess the appropriateness. If it's just you, the trees and your climbing buddies, sounds fine.

If the kindergarten school trip comes traipsing through the woods...well that would be your call.

Also, people WILL judge, just the nature - sometimes I care, sometimes I don't.

I say go for it...comfort fourth after safety third!

have some fun out there!

ls

nevertheless

Jul 10, 2009, 5:18 AM
Post #3 of 23 (7240 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by nevertheless [In reply to]
Report this Post

ladyscarlett

Jul 10, 2009, 5:51 AM
Post #4 of 23 (7228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, I hear you..

well I can't way for everyone else, but if I saw you without a shirt, I'd probably just give a whoo hoo, and head to the car for my shorts! The 'whoa it must be hot out there' comment.

too hot is too hot. when your shirt works best as a sweat rag, better take it off and use it, more effective!

cheers

ls

lena_chita

Jul 10, 2009, 4:07 PM
Post #5 of 23 (7176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Huh? You have to ask? You've never seen women climb ( or jog, or do aerobics, etc. etc.) in sport bras?

IMO, it is perfectly acceptable. I wouldn't blink an eye...

Of course, I wouldn't do much blinking even if my female partner decided to climb truly shirtless, but maybe I am an exception.

OTOH, a male climbing partner commented recently that he felt his wicking MH T-shirt actually made him feel cooler than going shirtless, so who knows, maybe taking your shirt off is not as much of a heat relief as you think it would be.

but you won't know until you try.

erisspirit

Jul 10, 2009, 4:17 PM
Post #6 of 23 (7171 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] shirtless climbing women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've definitely climbed many a time in just my sportsbra.. I'll usually were a tank top but don't really think twice about it.

klopik

Jul 10, 2009, 7:20 PM
Post #7 of 23 (7135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, if its a sports bra - sure, go for it.
I wouldn't care or mind, but I would never do it myself, at least outside - there is usually that one tiny little spot in the middle of the back that you just never put the sunblock on :)

And if you are climbing in a sports bra in the gym - please, please, PLEASE for the sake of other climbers, wear deodorant...

I wish they could make it an official rule at my gym - shirtless are required to wear deodarant...

lena_chita

Jul 10, 2009, 7:47 PM
Post #8 of 23 (7127 views)
Shortcut

Re: [klopik] shirtless climbing women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

klopik wrote:
And if you are climbing in a sports bra in the gym - please, please, PLEASE for the sake of other climbers, wear deodorant...

I wish they could make it an official rule at my gym - shirtless are required to wear deodarant...

You mean, shirtless people stink more? Does it apply only to women?

Either way, I never noticed that a T-shirt helped reduce the stinkiness. If anything, it enhances it by trapping BO...

Not saying that it is a bad idea to use deodorant, LOL. But IMO, if you are working hard, you are sweating/stinking, shirt or no shirt, that is just how it is. ( our gym has no A/C, picture THAT in 80-90F)

erisspirit

Jul 10, 2009, 7:55 PM
Post #9 of 23 (7126 views)
Shortcut

Re: [klopik] shirtless climbing women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

klopik wrote:

LOL! YES!

klopik

Jul 10, 2009, 8:05 PM
Post #10 of 23 (7125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nah, it applies to everyone :)

But yeah, basically, we got a bunch of people in my gym (which also doesn't have AC ;) who wear a t-shirt while belaying, and then TAKE IT OFF before climbing... and boy, it stinks!!!!

And sure, you are working hard, you do sweat, but if you wear deodarant, you are not going to stink :) A smell of fresh clean sweat is not offensive :)

clausti

Jul 11, 2009, 2:43 AM
Post #11 of 23 (7088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nevertheless wrote:
I've been pondering this for a while now.....

I envy that men may climb without shirts in oppressively hot weather, and I have to contemplate whether it is acceptable if I climb without my shirt (with bra of course). If I was out climbing in a leopard print vict. secret push up, then no, I would not expose myself, but I'm usually always in a basic racerback bra (nothing lingerie like, just simple).. ..well, even if I am in my leopard print vict. secret push up, is it socially acceptable that I may climb shirtless as well?

Women climbers, what do you all do?

i thought all the mormons lived in utah????

chicka- (or trolla, haven't decided yet) if you wanna take your shirt off, take it off!

number one thing i get fussed at for at the gym is climbing in my sports bra, as technically you have to wear "a shirt." good luck getting them to define shirt for you. as far as i can tell it means "no belly button," because i have tank tops that my tits hang out of, and that's ok, but not a sports bra that covers them up. Unimpressed

also, sometimes i climb shirtless-shirtless if the weather is real nice. i love it! that happens less often though.

it does seem weird that you're asking, like the entire point of the question is to get the reader to imagine you in the aforementioned leopard print pushup. i'm trying real hard, but your profile pictures aren't giving me sufficient data to work with here.

(This post was edited by clausti on Jul 11, 2009, 2:45 AM)

granite_grrl

Jul 11, 2009, 1:29 PM
Post #12 of 23 (7051 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] shirtless climbing women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It all depends on your own personal comfort level, IMO. I'm not a huge fan of stripping down to my sports bra (would like to get rid of a little more fat on my belly, which I just can't seem to do), but when it's hot, fuck it. I'm stripping down.

On the other hand, as much as I'd like to, I don't know about climbing topless topless....I'm just not that comfortable with my body, I've got scars and just don't like my boobs that much. BUT if someone else wanted to climb topless-topless, have at 'er. I have no problem with other people's bodies.

Only time it bugs me is if I feel like you're trying to show off your body. Girls with their tits hanging out from their poorly cut tops, trying to get attention from the guys....well, I'd rather not see that.

gblauer

Jul 11, 2009, 3:08 PM
Post #13 of 23 (7040 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] shirtless climbing women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

The only time I would climb naked would be to do an ascent of Shockley's in the vulgarnian style.

But honestly, NO one wants to see at naked or topless 52 year old woman. Really, trust me...

This is much ado about nothing. I see plenty of people climb in sports bras and less (skimpy bathing suit tops). I could care less. Hey, if you have it...flaunt it. If you don't , who cares?

Hate to tell you, but, the world doesn't revolve around you. Most people are busy in the own little universes and could care less about what you decide to wear on any particular day. Sounds mean, but it's mostly true.

clee03m

Jul 13, 2009, 2:57 PM
Post #14 of 23 (6970 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
number one thing i get fussed at for at the gym is climbing in my sports bra, as technically you have to wear "a shirt."

One of my partners from Seattle was saying his gym had the same rule. Without air conditioning. Is your gym air conditioned? I think it is rather weird set of rules for a climbing gym. What is their justification?

clausti

Jul 13, 2009, 2:59 PM
Post #15 of 23 (6968 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] shirtless climbing women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
clausti wrote:
number one thing i get fussed at for at the gym is climbing in my sports bra, as technically you have to wear "a shirt."

One of my partners from Seattle was saying his gym had the same rule. Without air conditioning. Is your gym air conditioned? I think it is rather weird set of rules for a climbing gym. What is their justification?

it's a university gym- it's the same rule as in the rest of the rec center, weight lifting areas, basket ball courts, ect.

jt512

Jul 13, 2009, 9:50 PM
Post #16 of 23 (6886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
number one thing i get fussed at for at the gym is climbing in my sports bra, as technically you have to wear "a shirt." good luck getting them to define shirt for you. as far as i can tell it means "no belly button," because i have tank tops that my tits hang out of, and that's ok, but not a sports bra that covers them up.

That seems like a reasonable compromise to me.

Jay

lena_chita

Jul 14, 2009, 1:53 AM
Post #17 of 23 (6853 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] shirtless climbing women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
clausti wrote:
number one thing i get fussed at for at the gym is climbing in my sports bra, as technically you have to wear "a shirt." good luck getting them to define shirt for you. as far as i can tell it means "no belly button," because i have tank tops that my tits hang out of, and that's ok, but not a sports bra that covers them up.

Jay

But a harness would usually cover the belly button. So a sport bra with a harness should be fine...

I really don't understand why a small expanse of skin, just a couple of inches wide, really, between the bottom of the bra and the harness, is source of so much concern for so many administrators. I bet you in the same University Rec Center there is a swimming pool, and people bare more skin there... so why not in other areas of the gym?

I will never understand it...

lostparrot

Jul 14, 2009, 6:44 AM
Post #18 of 23 (6828 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that's the same at the ymca i work at. the basketball players can go shirtless, the swimmers can be shirtless, but us in our little gym off in the corner? god forbid if we take off our shirts to climb(and there is no ac in there).

Toast_in_the_Machine

Jul 14, 2009, 11:07 AM
Post #19 of 23 (6815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
jt512 wrote:
clausti wrote:

Jay

But a harness would usually cover the belly button. So a sport bra with a harness should be fine...

I really don't understand why a small expanse of skin, just a couple of inches wide, really, between the bottom of the bra and the harness, is source of so much concern for so many administrators. I bet you in the same University Rec Center there is a swimming pool, and people bare more skin there... so why not in other areas of the gym?

And of course, this comes 10 years excatly after the most famous sports bra in history. A "where are they now": http://sports.espn.go.com/...page=buckheit/090710

clausti

Jul 14, 2009, 11:38 AM
Post #20 of 23 (6813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
jt512 wrote:
clausti wrote:

Jay

only female employees ever tell me to put my shirt back on.

so there's one possible reason.

lena_chita

Jul 14, 2009, 2:25 PM
Post #21 of 23 (6791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
jt512 wrote:
clausti wrote:

Jay

only female employees ever tell me to put my shirt back on.

so there's one possible reason.

Aha, it all becomes clear now! Tongue

lvpyne

Jul 14, 2009, 5:40 PM
Post #22 of 23 (6758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

The local gym in Phoenix has the same "must wear shirts" rule and the gym (sans AC in the summer) can be really miserable. Last summer, at a toasty 90 degrees in the gym, a friend of mine decided that he had had enough and took to wearing this hideous fishnet shirt to protest the rule. Since he was, technically, wearing a shirt, the gym staff could only glower at him...

Partner happiegrrrl

Jul 14, 2009, 6:02 PM
Post #23 of 23 (6745 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lvpyne] shirtless climbing women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

BackStory on the No Shirtless in the Climbing Gym policy:

Waaaaaay back in the early days of gym climbing, there was a man by the name of Burt. He became known as "BURT" because that was the way he signed in for each session. All upper case. No surname. Just.....BURT.

BURT excelled at climbing, and sprayed pretty consistently. He sprayed not only about climbing, but also his accomplishments with the ladies. If you know what I mean....

Many have suggested, over the years, that BURT's biggest problem was his ego, but that was not entirely accurate.

You see - BURT was hairy. Really, really hairy. SCARY hairy, because he insisted on climbing sans shirt. BURT's back was so hairy that, while he was proficient in climbing, people began making reference to his apelike appearance, especially when he was bouldering. (And that's how climbers began being called monkeys, too).

BURT was so driven, and so damned sure of himself, that any innuendos, hints, suggestions or even outright requests that he cover his back went right over his head. He just didn't seem to hear it.

Until finally one day when people arrived at the gym to see large placards on every single wall. "All Climbers Must Wear Shirts."

Lo and behold, it worked. For whatever reason, BURT accepted that rule and never went shirtless again. Word spread quickly, and gyms across the world adopted the policy as a way of saving the eyes from innocents who had, until that time, been ravaged by the hairy-backed man.

Men and women both were pleased with this change.

Then the days of Affirmative Action arrived. One day some unhappy guy name Melvin, sure his white collar place at the all-boy corporate table was at stake, noticed a woman in a sports bra at his gym...

Melvin was not - NOT - going to stand for this lying down! Oh no. If he was going to have to report to MS. Jones at some time in the future, he was SURE as hell not going to allow for a double standard such as the sports bra. In his mind, it was quite clearly not a shirt, and he intended to take it to the highest court he had to. He filed a lawsuit against his gym and the financial burden on the gym owner, of taking a day off to appear in court, was so great that the gym immediately folded.

It's a small world, after all, and the gym climbing community is even smaller. As well, the advent of email and the internet assured a quick relaying of the story and within weeks, the word was spread and no sports bras were allowed in gyms across the world.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook