RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

mallardduck

Jun 21, 2009, 8:18 PM
Post #1 of 11 (6023 views)
Shortcut

home made crash pad
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recently picked up a bunch of old foam from a local indoor gym and was hoping to make my own crashpad out of it. I would appreciate any ideas on how to go about this, or any advice if someone has already done this. Thank you very much for any help.

jdwynn

Jun 22, 2009, 2:28 AM
Post #2 of 11 (5972 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mallardduck] home made crash pad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How thick is the foam?
-If 1'' or smaller do you have enough to layer?

How about the width and length?

Have you ever used a sewing machine, or do you have some one that will sew for you?

I used to build custom business class aircraft interiors and I helped a friend make a pad to the dimensions of the metolius cheap bastard, I have not made one for myself but have done many custom aircraft parts and its very similar.

tarsier

Jun 22, 2009, 3:12 AM
Post #3 of 11 (5959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think they've usually got a more dense layer on top to disperse the impact, then a thicker softer layer on bottom. Maybe sandwich the foam between a couple scrap layers of carpet. Something with a leopard print perhaps.

DaveEscobar

Jun 22, 2009, 3:49 AM
Post #4 of 11 (5938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Find a website of one of the many pad manufacturers. Most of them show you how they're built so they can show you why there's is better.

I know Organic does this.

At least then you will have a place to start.

mallardduck

Jun 22, 2009, 3:55 AM
Post #5 of 11 (5932 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jdwynn] home made crash pad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the foam is about 4 inches thick. im thinking im going to have to order some closed cell foam to help absorb some of the impact.

I am not handy with a sewing machine but my fathers girl friend is supposedly pretty good. I need to go to a fabric store and see if i can find anything that will work.

I will definitely check out organics site and others and see what i like, and what i am capable of doing.

Thanks for the replies

jdwynn

Jun 22, 2009, 5:09 AM
Post #6 of 11 (5923 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can just go to a sporting good store and get the cheap closed cell sleeping pads usually blue in color and 1/2''-3/4'' thick.

Get some 3m spray glue and spray both the 4'' foam and the closed cell, let dry and press the two glued faces together, stack books on top to put pressure and let it sit for a few hours, trim if necessary after to make everything flush, you can buy 3'' long exacto knife blades at most craft stores or hardware stores.-the closed cell foam will be on the bottom.

To simplify the sewing get all your dimensions and have the person sewing make something like a big pillow case and stuff your foam in. This will make a taco folding style pad, to hinge will require making a template to cut the fabric. Look at how other pads are sewn to see where the seams should be to best avoid blowing them out the first time you land.

Then go cannibalize an old backpack for the straps and get some webbing or cord to tie it up when in backpack mode.
Attachments: CrashPad.tif (49.9 KB)

mallardduck

Jun 23, 2009, 7:12 AM
Post #7 of 11 (5855 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jdwynn] home made crash pad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jdwynn, you are good. thank you. ill stop by big five or some place like that tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

charley

Jun 23, 2009, 4:58 PM
Post #8 of 11 (5827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe the closed cell goes on top to spread the impact. It only needs to be an inch thick. I think a sleeping pad would work. There is a lot of sewing so if you can get someone else to do it, good for you.

Myxomatosis

Jul 10, 2009, 12:36 AM
Post #9 of 11 (5579 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] home made crash pad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You need at least half an inch of closed cell on top (but more than 1/4inch sleeping matt). I also have a thin layer of closed cell on the bottom to stop rocks pushing up through the soft cell.

Mine was made by my friend under my design. Its cheap enough to do and saves you alot of cash. Its 6inch thick, 1.2m by 1.1m, fits exactly into the boot of my car (so handy). Mines got a fold, you might want to also do a fold as 4inch + inch of closed cell in a taco style isn't the nicest on the foam, also the foam wears out faster, must store it in a flat position.

Ive attached an image of it, got its name stitched into it.

Don't forget to add some features, straps and handles are nice. Some pull tabs on the side for people to quickly pull it under you if you miss the pad. I also got a pocket swen in across the bottom, also stops gear falling out if I stuff it into the middle.
Attachments: alpocalpse.jpg (60.9 KB)

chriscook42

Jul 29, 2009, 3:21 AM
Post #10 of 11 (5300 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i say lots of bubblewrap. Wink

mallardduck

Jul 29, 2009, 7:34 AM
Post #11 of 11 (5273 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Myxomatosis] home made crash pad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wow thats a really nice pad. I finally picked up some closed cell foam. i have all the foam laid out. have all the materials and now just trying to convince my friend to sew it all up. its coming along slowly but worth it. ill let you know how it turns out when i am finished.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook