RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

damohack

Dec 2, 2002, 4:27 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2462 views)
Shortcut

Shoulder tear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,
Anyone know enough about shoulder tears (cranking on it after a month of being lazy) to tell me when this will get better? It's really bugging me that three months after I thought I just strained my left shoulder, I am still suffering with it and unable to get back even to light gym-work. Anyone suffer with the same?
Damo.

wv5ten

Dec 2, 2002, 4:35 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2462 views)
Shortcut

Shoulder tear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hmm i don't know any specifics, other than it takes awhile, and if you tore the rotator cuff, its really going to take a while. :/

mountaingeek

Dec 2, 2002, 4:55 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I partially tore the rotator cuff in my right shoulder 2 years ago. It hurt like hell for 10 days! Didn't require surgery, but had to stay off climbing for 4 months. It kept hurting another couple of months after getting back. If you are sure you have a tear, my advice is to stay off the rock until it gets better. And go to a doctor and get some prescription strength anti-inflammatory pills. Good luck.

[ This Message was edited by: mountaingeek on 2002-12-02 08:57 ]

valygrl

Dec 2, 2002, 5:09 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damian - Man, sorry to hear about your shoulder! I hurt mine about 5 years ago, ignored it for 2 years, tried physical therapy rehab for 3 years, with a cycle of building strength, returning to full climbing too soon, and reinjury!!!

Finally got the surgery 2 weeks ago. Ugh. They found two partial tears (superspinatus, labrum) and a hole in my glenoid cartiledge.

My advice, see a SPORTS MEDICINE doctor NOW. Do not bother with a G.P., they just want to give you pain killers - you probably need physical therapy. A good doc can figure out exactly what is damaged and what you can do about it to rehab. I think if I hadn't waited so long I could have avoided my surgery.

PM or IM me if you want to chat more...

Good luck.

Anna

djmacedonas

Dec 7, 2002, 10:09 PM
Post #5 of 10 (2462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I tore my right shoulder skiing two seasons ago. I went to a doc and he perscribed Vitamin I and exercises. I was diligent about the exercises, AND I trained for a Marathon, which helped my shoulder tremendously. I healed within 6 months.

By contrast, I ripped my left shoulder last season, and because of stress while finishing a degree, lack of exercises, and generally being in a rut, that shoulder is still hurting me 8 months later. The point...
Get the right exercise regimen and work on it diligently. If you have full range of motion, there is a really good chance you can completely recover without surgery. Surgery should always be a last resort!

Good Luck!

DJM

damohack

Dec 14, 2002, 4:21 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks folks. It is reassuring to hear that my condition is not taking excessively long to heal. If I had heard after the first week that it would take as long as some of yours had to heal, I think that I would have been very depressed, but now that it is four to five months later, and there is some improvement, I take great encouragement from your tales. I have a good physio, and do his exercises reglarly - no doubt this has helped things enormously.
Thanks again for the encouragement.
D.

jonny

Dec 20, 2002, 1:29 AM
Post #7 of 10 (2462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

D,
Sorry to hear about your shoulder. I recently injured mine and after a month of no real improvement I opted for an MRI and was diagnosed with a labral tear. If your pain persists, I would recommend looking into an MRI.

I am having surgery on Dec. 30th. Apparently the recovery is fairly difficult. Does anyone have any words of wisdom on how to speed up the recovery process for a labral repair????

Cheers,

Jon

valygrl

Dec 20, 2002, 1:39 AM
Post #8 of 10 (2462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Jon...

If you find a way to speed it up, let me know!

Advice: get a surgeon who does a lot of shoulders on atheletes, and a good Physical Therapist.

I'm 5 weeks post op (see above, arthroscopic), started doing resistance 2 weeks ago. My PT says early Feb. to start climbing at the soonest (I talked him down from March).

So far I wouldn't characterize the recovery as 'difficult' just 'slow,' and boy am I ever sick of the stationary bike, rubber bands and lifting teeny weights.

Oh well, it will all be worth it if it heals strong.

Off to the gym! PM me if you want gory details...

Anna

ksfrogman

Dec 20, 2002, 10:08 AM
Post #9 of 10 (2462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends on the nature and severity of the shoulder injury. The rotator cuff attaches your humerus (upper arm bone) to your scapula (shoulder blade), and is formed by tendons of four muscles.

There are other muscles that surround the shoulder, including your deltoids. Injury to a muscle would simply be a strain.

There are also ligaments such as that found in the AC (acromioclavicular) joint that can be potentially injured.

Diagnosis by history, biomechanical exam, and possible ancillary tests (x-ray, arthrogram, etc.) may be warranted depending on the extent of your injury.

I have been a family practice physician who has seen a variety of sports-related injuries, many of which required referral to orthopedists, and others whom simply required simple rest, immobilization, and a tincture of time. If it starts to worsen, see your local physician for his professional opinion as it is difficult if not sometimes impossible to diagnose a condition without seeing the patient in person.

goingtohellquick

Jan 4, 2003, 5:05 AM
Post #10 of 10 (2462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You might not have torn it if you are lucky. But you can (I have done this wrestlign many times) have your rotator cuff swell. It becomes inflamed and you lose the range of motion and it hurts REAL BAD. Front, back, top, it all hurts. Did you go to see a doctor? I would give the injury a winter (if you tore it), and start doing small activities like pullups in the spring.

Sleep well Hahaha (when i messed my shoulder up i had to sleep sitting down cause it hurt so much!)

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook