Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Looking for climbing in VA live near Hampton Roads
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

HueyFE

Aug 22, 2009, 10:57 PM
Post #1 of 7 (8297 views)
Shortcut

Looking for climbing in VA live near Hampton Roads  (North_America: United_States: Virginia)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I wanna take some friends climbing in VA and they all live near Hampton Roads. SO I was looking for some good sport climbing within a good drive. Maybe like a 2 hr drive?

Can anyone offer some suggestions and possibly directions to them as well?

All info is appreciated! Cool

rockandlice

Aug 23, 2009, 12:40 AM
Post #2 of 7 (8294 views)
Shortcut

Re: [HueyFE] Looking for climbing in VA live near Hampton Roads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry, but the only outside "sport" climbing within that distance is the bolted train trestles in Richmond (in the database here). Outside of that you'll need to drive MUCH further west.

HueyFE

Aug 23, 2009, 12:44 AM
Post #3 of 7 (8289 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockandlice] Looking for climbing in VA live near Hampton Roads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was poking around online and found Great Falls Park...which I think is like 3 hrs away....Think we are gonna roll with that. Thank you though.

Bolted train tres huh? That sounds like it would be interesting to do none the less.

rockandlice

Aug 23, 2009, 6:22 PM
Post #4 of 7 (8274 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am under the impression great falls is all TR or trad, may be wrong though, never been there. The trestle thing is actually a series of them. I think maybe 30 some climbs or so in total. There are pics in the database here so may be worth checking out. Of course, I personally would prefer the real rock at great falls I'm guessing.

HueyFE

Aug 23, 2009, 10:38 PM
Post #5 of 7 (8256 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockandlice] Looking for climbing in VA live near Hampton Roads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The rock is partially-metamorphosed schist composed of granite and quartz crystals. While the rock is stable, it is not recommended for trad climbing as protection will slip or break out. Most of the climbs are in the 50 ft. range and tend to be overhanging.

That's from this site.....at least what it says about Great Falls. Probably closer to when I am gonna go I will call around and talk with some people to make sure.
Thanks for the input though.

braaaaaaaadley

Aug 24, 2009, 12:16 AM
Post #6 of 7 (8252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great falls is not that great of a destination as you will wait for hours in DC traffic while trying to get in/out of there. If I were you either drive to Richmond to Manchester Wall, go to Old Rag or someplace in Shanendoah National Park (Ravens Roost etc.) or better yet haul them out to the New or Pilot Mountain in NC.

TribeClimber

Aug 24, 2009, 4:39 PM
Post #7 of 7 (8236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As some other said, not much in the HR area. I'm from the tidewater area, and you're going to have to drive to get anywhere decent to climb.

If you're looking to take some friends out for the day, go to Shenandoah. You can get there in about 2.5 hrs.
Fun spots with short approach:
-Little Stony Man, mile 39.1, 20-35 min approach, TR, 70-100 foot routes, beautiful scenic view of the valley
-Mt. Marshall, mile 15.9?, 15 min approach, TR, 35-40 ft routes

all good rock, varied levels (5.4-5.12), at a minimum take 175 feet of webbing for anchors. Both are personal favourites to climb.

-Old Rag is great, LONG approach, bolted routes. Take LOTS of water, no place to refill near.

Your other alternative is New River Gorge in WV. Hundreds of sport climbs with great sandstone. Strait shot up I-64 West then a few back roads to get to the Gorge.

I climb at Great falls a lot only because it's close (20 mins) to where I live now, good morning run. I find it to be greasy and overused [read: slippery from wear). Not a place worth driving 3+ hours for. No bolted routes, all top rope. Trad there is dangerous. Really nice park, though.

Richmond has Manchester Wall. Google it.

Local rock gyms near you:
Virginia Beach Rock Gym
College of William & Mary Rec Centre
Peak Experiences

Hope this helps.

-T

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?