Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

gblauer

Aug 28, 2009, 4:55 PM
Post #1 of 37 (16330 views)
Shortcut

Wedding favor ideas
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I need some ideas for wedding favors...there are very few rock climbers among the guest list, so I need something that's universal, but, reflects our love of climbing.

Any ideas out there? I thought of SIGG bottles (they come in cool colors) or nalgenes (boring). Any other thoughts?

Thanks for your help

lhwang

Aug 28, 2009, 8:19 PM
Post #2 of 37 (16306 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Wedding favor ideas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My husband and I made a donation to the kidney foundation in lieu of wedding favours (my dad had a kidney transplant). Better for the environment, we got to support a charity we both believe in, and I have to say that I've thought most of the wedding favours I've received were kind of useless.

jenny1980

Aug 28, 2009, 11:44 PM
Post #3 of 37 (16292 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That would be cool. A donation to a rock climbing school or something. I always liked the favors with chocolate or some other kind of candy, but I'm not one to "keep" the favors. Blush

Jenny

clausti

Aug 29, 2009, 1:20 AM
Post #4 of 37 (16283 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

sigg bottles would be cool, if you can swing it. but my two cents is do something cool like that or don't bother. for example: my older sister (teacher) married a firefighter, and they had pencils with firetruck erasers or something. we tied tiny ass little bows on them. probably 80% or more of them were left at the event.

we sent out "save the date" magnets, or you can make your invitations an actual printed sheet magnet. people *loved* the save the date magnets, and i know a lot of our friends and esp family still have them on their fridges. we got a lot of really nice comments on them.

kimmyt

Aug 29, 2009, 1:50 AM
Post #5 of 37 (16277 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Wedding favor ideas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Or those amazing cider doughnuts from Jenkens Leukens.... you know the ones.... sooooo goood

clee03m

Aug 29, 2009, 3:59 PM
Post #6 of 37 (16261 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Wedding favor ideas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One of my friends sent us one of those save the date magnets, and I still have it on my frige. Aside from food ones, that one is my favorite wedding favor so far. May be a climbing picture of the happy couple on it would be cute.

Partner macherry

Aug 30, 2009, 11:26 PM
Post #7 of 37 (16226 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Wedding favor ideas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

why is this a ladies room thread? i don't mean to be snarky, but both men and women get married.

wjca

Aug 31, 2009, 4:09 PM
Post #8 of 37 (16199 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Wedding favor ideas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
why is this a ladies room thread? i don't mean to be snarky, but both men and women get married.

'Cause men don't give a shit about wedding favors for their guests. The absolute only reason it ever pops up on our radars is because the bride wants to make a big deal about it. The groom is there to get married to woman he loves and wants to spend the rest of his life with, not to impress the gozillion people the bride's mother wanted to invite to the party. For us, it's a day for two people to celebrate for each other not to impress anyone else. Guys would rather not spend the extra money on such trivial things, but would rather spend the money on something of value like a new lawn mower or a car payment.

Partner macherry

Aug 31, 2009, 4:44 PM
Post #9 of 37 (16193 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wjca] Wedding favor ideas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wjca wrote:
macherry wrote:

'Cause men don't give a shit about wedding favors for their guests. The absolute only reason it ever pops up on our radars is because the bride wants to make a big deal about it. The groom is there to get married to woman he loves and wants to spend the rest of his life with, not to impress the gozillion people the bride's mother wanted to invite to the party. For us, it's a day for two people to celebrate for each other not to impress anyone else. Guys would rather not spend the extra money on such trivial things, but would rather spend the money on something of value like a new lawn mower or a car payment.

hmm, this is correct.

but, then again, i'm with you on the whole party favour thing. i think we had mints at the tables, only because my mom was into it. as for gifts, we only had our friends stand up with us at the jop, and we gave them swiss army knives as a gift.

wonderwoman

Aug 31, 2009, 4:51 PM
Post #10 of 37 (16190 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wjca] Wedding favor ideas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wjca wrote:
macherry wrote:

That's funny. It was my husband who talked me down from the 'let's elope ledge'. But it turned out to be a great day, no matter what. 'J' and 'T' home made heart shaped sugar cookies were our favors, and people ate them up. My mom made them. Probably poppin' fresh dough.

(This post was edited by wonderwoman on Aug 31, 2009, 4:52 PM)

Partner macherry

Sep 1, 2009, 1:29 AM
Post #11 of 37 (16157 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Wedding favor ideas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
wjca wrote:
macherry wrote:

That's funny. It was my husband who talked me down from the 'let's elope ledge'. But it turned out to be a great day, no matter what. 'J' and 'T' home made heart shaped sugar cookies were our favors, and people ate them up. My mom made them. Probably poppin' fresh dough.

yeah, but did he do wedding favours!

gblauer

Sep 1, 2009, 2:37 AM
Post #12 of 37 (16152 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Wedding favor ideas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I figured it out...I love the honey crisp apples from our favorite orchard at the Gunks. I think we will give bags of apples to our guests. (it's only 40 people) and make a donation somewhere meaningful to Mitch and me. I don't think anyone will use the SIGG bottles and they are expensive. I may get engraved nut tools for the 4 climbing guests that we are inviting.

Partner macherry

Sep 1, 2009, 3:32 AM
Post #13 of 37 (16146 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
I think I figured it out...I love the honey crisp apples from our favorite orchard at the Gunks. I think we will give bags of apples to our guests. (it's only 40 people) and make a donation somewhere meaningful to Mitch and me. I don't think anyone will use the SIGG bottles and they are expensive. I may get engraved nut tools for the 4 climbing guests that we are inviting.

nut tools would be cool

clee03m

Sep 1, 2009, 3:10 PM
Post #14 of 37 (16132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love this idea. My mouth is watering just hearing about those apples. Wedding favor that is healthy and delicious--love it! Engraved nut tool would be such an awesome gift, but given that most people already own a nut tool, if you are on a tight budget, I say apples are more than good enough.

iamthewallress

Sep 2, 2009, 12:06 AM
Post #15 of 37 (16109 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Wedding favor ideas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Another vote for a low trash favor. People who want Sigg bottles probably have a few of them...like most inexpensive things these days.

How about a personal note to each guest telling them why you're glad that they are there to share the day with you as a sort of pre-thanks that requires no gift from them?

(This post was edited by iamthewallress on Sep 2, 2009, 12:06 AM)

lena_chita

Sep 2, 2009, 2:02 PM
Post #16 of 37 (16095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why on Earth did I think that you and Mitch were already married? Congratulations! LOL, at first I thought you were planning for your daughter...

I am no expert in wedding favors, but I like the apples idea more than Sigg bottles.

gblauer

Sep 2, 2009, 2:22 PM
Post #17 of 37 (16090 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Wedding favor ideas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lena, You are not nuts...we consider and represent ourselves as married. We never did a ceremony and for a variety of reasons we are now going to do the whole thing, wedding dress and all!

Thank you!

granite_grrl

Sep 2, 2009, 3:15 PM
Post #18 of 37 (16081 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
Lena, You are not nuts...we consider and represent ourselves as married. We never did a ceremony and for a variety of reasons we are now going to do the whole thing, wedding dress and all!

Thank you!
I just assumed that you two were married too. Crazy

Congrats on going through the ceremony. Even if two people are already "married" there's something special about going through the whole ceremony.

What's your date for becoming "official"? Wink

gblauer

Sep 2, 2009, 5:38 PM
Post #19 of 37 (16066 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Wedding favor ideas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Our cermony is October 24th. It's going to be at my home, with Mitch's brother officiating. I am very excited! As an older bride it's been challenging to work around the the appropriateness of things. For example, do I wear a gown (ultimately, I decided "yes"), how big of an event (small, only a couple of close friends, the rest family), where do I hold the wedding etc.

We plan to honeymoon at our love nest at the gunks, unless the weather is bad. If the weather stinks we will go to the Red (watch out for us Lena) or to Mexico. Upon return, I have the first of two surgeries which will take me out of climbing for 12 (what I anticipate to be) LONG weeks.

I will return to climbing in February with a planned trip to Mexico in March (weak as a kitten I am sure).

I am hoping that the time off will allow me to heal up lots of pesky over use injuries to fingures, elbows etc.

I will post photos of the event.

BTW, I met Mitch right here on RC.Com!

wonderwoman

Sep 2, 2009, 7:54 PM
Post #20 of 37 (16058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't believe that I forgot to say

SmileSmileCONGRATULATIONS!!!!SmileSmile

in my earlier post!

Have a wonderful wedding day, and a beautiful life together!

wjca

Sep 2, 2009, 8:43 PM
Post #21 of 37 (16048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
Our cermony is October 24th. It's going to be at my home, with Mitch's brother officiating. I am very excited! As an older bride it's been challenging to work around the the appropriateness of things. For example, do I wear a gown (ultimately, I decided "yes"), how big of an event (small, only a couple of close friends, the rest family), where do I hold the wedding etc.

We plan to honeymoon at our love nest at the gunks, unless the weather is bad. If the weather stinks we will go to the Red (watch out for us Lena) or to Mexico. Upon return, I have the first of two surgeries which will take me out of climbing for 12 (what I anticipate to be) LONG weeks.

I will return to climbing in February with a planned trip to Mexico in March (weak as a kitten I am sure).

I am hoping that the time off will allow me to heal up lots of pesky over use injuries to fingures, elbows etc.

I will post photos of the event.

BTW, I met Mitch right here on RC.Com!

Photos of the wedding, honeymoon or surgery? Wait, shit, this isn't the Campground. Nevermind, Happy No-Longer-Living-in-Sin Day. Wait, shit, this isn't the Soapbox either. Nevermind, wear white if you want to. F'em if they don't like it. Just make sure you tuck your jacket into your harness.

wes_allen

Sep 3, 2009, 3:56 AM
Post #22 of 37 (16020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds nice, congrats for sure. In the last couple years, I have probably been to 30+ wedding, from makeup and hair all the way to when the dancing starts winding down. Best advice is what you are already doing - keep is simple and don't try schedule things to tightly - give yourself time to enjoy every minute, and not stress too much about what time you have to be where. Oh, and wear comfortable shoes! Coolest climber favors so far have been climbing themed cakes.

lvpyne

Sep 3, 2009, 4:30 AM
Post #23 of 37 (16019 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wes_allen] Wedding favor ideas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wes_allen wrote:
Coolest climber favors so far have been climbing themed cakes.

One of the coolest weddings I ever went to was a "Hippie Climber Love Fest." (Actually termed this on the wedding invitation.) The bride and groom were climbers and geologists and had this "collection" of small rocks that they collected from different places they had climbed over this years. "This is our rock from Cochise Stronghold..." "This is our rock from Yosemite..." "This is our rock from Enchanted Rock..." etc. Anyway, they took this collection of pebbles and decorated the wedding cake with the (cleaned up) geologic momentos of their various climbing trips and topped the cake off with those little bendy-climbers. Very cute.

This was all fine and dandy -- their dirtbag climber guests had fun trying to guess where the rocks came from. "See that piece of cake that guy has over there? That's totally Wingate Sandstone." However, we were endlessly entertained when the DJ suddenly jumped up and interrupted the music and festivities with a "Folks, I'd like to take a moment to remind you that these are real rocks on the cake. REAL ones. So, ummm, don't bite down on them. FYI."

Oh, and congrats!

(This post was edited by lvpyne on Sep 3, 2009, 4:31 AM)

lena_chita

Sep 3, 2009, 2:08 PM
Post #24 of 37 (16004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Who cares about what others think as appropriate... you can wear a gown if it strikes your fancy just as well as anyone else.

And yes, I think there is something very sweet about doing the "official ceremony" even if you have been pretty much married in every other way. My friend recently did a small ceremony at home "renewing their wows" for their 20-year anniversary. It was touching.

LOL, I will use my force to send some rain clouds away from the Red and towards Gunks-- but only after October 24th. Smile

kimmyt

Sep 3, 2009, 2:51 PM
Post #25 of 37 (15998 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Wedding favor ideas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Gail! Congrats on the upcoming nuptials. I, too, completely thought you and Mitch were already hitched. You guys are great together, I know you will have a beautiful and meaningful wedding day.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook