RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

Capt_Dirty_Pantaloons

Sep 9, 2009, 5:10 PM
Post #1 of 7 (12660 views)
Shortcut

Bouldering Wall Plan Constructive Feedback
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am finishing the plans for my first attempt at a bouldering wall in my garage. I went with a very basic design to keep simple.

The color code for the pics is:
Green=2x4
Blue=2x6
Red=2x8
Grey is the garage

The headers in the ceiling will be horizontal instead of vertical. I was using Sketchup and Sketchup does not handle drawing objects in two planes.

Looking for constructive feedback on things that may not be right, things I could do better or lessons learned from your own experience.

Attachments: BoulderingWall.jpg (97.0 KB)
  BoulderingWallSideView.jpg (65.8 KB)
  BoulderingWallOtherSideView.jpg (64.4 KB)

gmggg

Sep 9, 2009, 6:06 PM
Post #2 of 7 (12629 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Capt_Dirty_Pantaloons] Bouldering Wall Plan Constructive Feedback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Capt_Dirty_Pantaloons wrote:
I am finishing the plans for my first attempt at a bouldering wall in my garage. I went with a very basic design to keep simple.

The color code for the pics is:
Green=2x4
Blue=2x6
Red=2x8
Grey is the garage

The headers in the ceiling will be horizontal instead of vertical. I was using Sketchup and Sketchup does not handle drawing objects in two planes.

Looking for constructive feedback on things that may not be right, things I could do better or lessons learned from your own experience.

You have spent way to much time in the design phase. Home DIY projects are marked by their spontaneity not their durability.

Seriously though, this looks great! Do you really have 7.5 foot ceilings in your garage though? If you do you might try utilizing the space between the rafters on the right hand wall to get a little extra height, or extend one of the sides, if possible, so you can have more of a traverse.

Although their is some grip strength and power benefits to home climbing I find the biggest advantage to climbing performance is endurance training and that would be a little hard with a 7.5 foot height limitation.

Capt_Dirty_Pantaloons

Sep 9, 2009, 6:12 PM
Post #3 of 7 (12625 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] Bouldering Wall Plan Constructive Feedback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My intention is to use the space between rafters a roof. This way I could traverse along the wall end to end then go across the roof back to the beginning.

I was thinking along the same lines of extending the wall along on side. Thanks for the confirmation.

gmggg

Sep 9, 2009, 6:36 PM
Post #4 of 7 (12610 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Capt_Dirty_Pantaloons] Bouldering Wall Plan Constructive Feedback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Capt_Dirty_Pantaloons wrote:
My intention is to use the space between rafters a roof. This way I could traverse along the wall end to end then go across the roof back to the beginning.

I was thinking along the same lines of extending the wall along on side. Thanks for the confirmation.

A horizontal roof is cool if you need the attic space, or have some obstructions, but I was suggesting removing that section of cross bracing and extending holds up (essentially) the underside of your (real) roof.

Judging by the pictures you have 45" between the rafters. That should be good for a long climb to the top followed by a traverse down to a horizontal roof, over to the left side, traverse right, and repeat.

Skidemon27

Sep 9, 2009, 7:41 PM
Post #5 of 7 (12580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if the final product is as analretentive as ur drawing then the wall should come out good... my 2 cents... all in all not a bad set up...

could get creative and build like a downward spike at the top where the wall angles meet. like a 3 sided triangle pizza shaped,,, work on some split moves, and some dyno jumps

rschap

Sep 10, 2009, 12:30 AM
Post #6 of 7 (12542 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Skidemon27] Bouldering Wall Plan Constructive Feedback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It looks to me like both walls are the same angle and around 60 deg or so, one thing I would suggest is make one of them 45 deg and keep the other around 60. 45 deg is considered the best angle for strength training and 60 is a good worm up/cool down angle. I like how you’re not carrying the angle all the way down to the deck, it’s impossible to get bolts and screws in down low when you have a steeper angle. On my garage wall I went 90 deg for the first 12”-24” before kicking out at a steeper angle.

tslater

Oct 20, 2009, 4:53 AM
Post #7 of 7 (12293 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rschap] Bouldering Wall Plan Constructive Feedback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Much easier...

http://www.slatervision.com/id22.html

same result.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook