Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

IsayAutumn

Jul 30, 2009, 2:26 PM
Post #26 of 47 (1606 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tyler_A] Fall like a ninja? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

tyler_A wrote:
Would it be remotely realistic to be able to train yourself to be able to fall vertically from very high distances and land with a certain exact and calculated technique so that you can cause little to no harm to your body?

Yes, in fact. There is a great technique, and it would benefit everyone if you learned it. It's called falling head first.

kennoyce

Jul 30, 2009, 2:27 PM
Post #27 of 47 (1606 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
don't care for ridiculous and arbitrary "interwebz" customs too much.

Then you shouldn't care about a little bit of ridiculous and arbitrary "interwebz" hazing should you.

Really if you ask a question about ninjas, you can expect for people to give you some crap over it. Just take it like a man and have some fun.

jakedatc

Jul 30, 2009, 3:50 PM
Post #28 of 47 (1591 views)
Shortcut

Re: [celticelement] Fall like a ninja? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

celticelement wrote:
You could take a look at the PLF taught by the military at airborne school. That is designed to take significant force in a foot first situation and redirect it without injury (or at least without significant injury) though I doubt it would work very well from very high up if you don't have a parachute.

PLF is actually pretty effective. Those Airborne guys are not coming in slow.. T10 chutes pretty much suck and come in fairly hot.

synrock

Jul 30, 2009, 4:17 PM
Post #29 of 47 (1580 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Fall like a ninja? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A PLF is only effective if you have some lateral motion, which is always the case when you are descending via parachute. Straight down doesn't work so well, although the basics: feet together, knees bent, toes pointed down, are a good idea to prevent a broken leg.

The problem with a bouldering fall is that each situation is different. The position you fall from and terrain you fall ON are never the same. This precludes using any "learned ninja technique."

If or when you do fall the most effective technique is to make use of adrenalin and instincts to adjust to the immediate situation at hand. There is never time to DO something. Doing requires thinking and thinking requires time and in a 15 ft fall you don't have time for anything.

When you fall you can't be thinking of what just happened or what is going to happen -

you have to (in the immortal words of chevy chase from caddy shack) "be the ball" - err "fall."

bowers

Tactix23

Jul 30, 2009, 4:23 PM
Post #30 of 47 (1578 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tyler_A wrote:
Would it be remotely realistic to be able to train yourself to be able to fall vertically from very high distances and land with a certain exact and calculated technique so that you can cause little to no harm to your body?

Are there people that do this? Videos? Real life ninjas so to speak?

I've had this scenario stuck in my head for days of some mysterious acrobat that could leap from a building and walk away perfectly. Needless to say, this would be a very cool thing to demonstrate to friends. I already drink litres of milk a day so I know I have good bones haha =P

Only thing you can really do is roll which turns your downward momentum into forward momentum. Perhaps try practicing by just jumping off the ground and rolling?

The idea is cool but I don't know if it's worth the risk trying to practice it haha

Tactix23

Jul 30, 2009, 4:28 PM
Post #31 of 47 (1573 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] Fall like a ninja? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kennoyce wrote:
In reply to:

Then you shouldn't care about a little bit of ridiculous and arbitrary "interwebz" hazing should you.

Really if you ask a question about ninjas, you can expect for people to give you some crap over it. Just take it like a man and have some fun.

I don't think it's the fact that he can't take a joke but merely when you first join a forum and make a first post well you don't expect to be shit on the second you start posting. I'm new to this forum and i can tell unlike other forums, people are more concerned about keeping it their own little community as opposed to inviting others in. Which is odd because everyone I meet in real life that rock climbs is the exact opposite.. Or maybe that's just where I'm from. I belong to a drum forum and sometimes people ask weird questions.. We either A) answer them and ask why they want to know or B) don't post.. I don't think putting up with people calling you retarded makes you a man to be honest haha

(This post was edited by Tactix23 on Jul 30, 2009, 4:29 PM)

sungam

Jul 30, 2009, 5:18 PM
Post #32 of 47 (1559 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] Fall like a ninja? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kennoyce wrote:
In reply to:
BTW, does your new work have a computer now? You seem to be posting more regularly.

Yeah, my new job has always had a computer, I just am not at it too often. The last week or two has been pretty slow so I have had more time at my computer, but starting tomorrow, it looks like that will end.
Well, it was fun while it lasted.

To the OP, the reason rolling out bouldering falls really won't work is because in parkour/ninja jumps you're going forewards, and you roll with the forewards momentum. When you're falling of a boulder you're falling backwards and likely at a funky angle. Trying to roll such a jump would result in a knee to the face.
Try landing and letting your knees bend with some resistance, but don't let them bend all the way. Then flop over. For shorter falls, just land on your feet and bend the knees slightly.

Carnage

Jul 30, 2009, 5:23 PM
Post #33 of 47 (1557 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Fall like a ninja? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

i like to land like pirates. it involves being very drunk

hafilax

Jul 30, 2009, 5:36 PM
Post #34 of 47 (1555 views)
Shortcut

Re: [synrock] Fall like a ninja? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

synrock wrote:
A PLF is only effective if you have some lateral motion, which is always the case when you are descending via parachute. Straight down doesn't work so well, although the basics: feet together, knees bent, toes pointed down, are a good idea to prevent a broken leg.

The problem with a bouldering fall is that each situation is different. The position you fall from and terrain you fall ON are never the same. This precludes using any "learned ninja technique."

If or when you do fall the most effective technique is to make use of adrenalin and instincts to adjust to the immediate situation at hand. There is never time to DO something. Doing requires thinking and thinking requires time and in a 15 ft fall you don't have time for anything.

When you fall you can't be thinking of what just happened or what is going to happen -

you have to (in the immortal words of chevy chase from caddy shack) "be the ball" - err "fall."

bowers
Not having time to think about a fall is precisely why it is instructive to train a few basic breakfalls. There have been a lot of broken arms in many sports due to people reactively sticking their arm out to stop a fall instead of using their body to absorb the impact. The other main point of break falls is to protect your head and neck.

There are many similarities between being thrown and falling from a bouldering problem especially for low problems. There is a lot of randomness in how you end up in the air in both.

Here's an explanation of the breakfall principals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9wU1D8YmzQ

kriso9tails

Jul 30, 2009, 6:34 PM
Post #35 of 47 (1542 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Fall like a ninja? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want to learn to take a bouldering fall, this is the man to teach you.

Partner camhead

Jul 30, 2009, 7:09 PM
Post #36 of 47 (1536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tyler_A wrote:

I've had this scenario stuck in my head for days of some mysterious acrobat that could leap from a building and walk away perfectly. Needless to say, this would be a very cool thing to demonstrate to friends. I already drink litres of milk a day so I know I have good bones haha =P

This site may have some pointers on how to land ike a ninja.

rtwilli4

Jul 30, 2009, 7:39 PM
Post #37 of 47 (1531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tyler_A wrote:
I said remotely, like being able to land 15 or 20 feet consistently without damage, not 1000.

Thank you however for the warm welcome since this was my first post on the forum.

You don't need to be a ninja to fall 20 feet without getting hurt. past that though, ninja skills or not, you are probably gonna get hurt.

xclimber47

Jul 30, 2009, 7:49 PM
Post #38 of 47 (1527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0EpYNXpc7c

about as close as you'll get..

theguy

Jul 30, 2009, 8:48 PM
Post #39 of 47 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Fall like a ninja? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
the reason rolling out bouldering falls really won't work is because in parkour/ninja jumps you're going forewards, and you roll with the forewards momentum

See XClimbr47 above

And for the buildering fans out there:
- Dvinsk-Clan: note roll out of static backwards fall at 2:42
- Yamakasi

Toast_in_the_Machine

Jul 30, 2009, 10:03 PM
Post #40 of 47 (1491 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tactix23] Fall like a ninja? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tactix23 wrote:
kennoyce wrote:
In reply to:

I don't think it's the fact that he can't take a joke but merely when you first join a forum and make a first post well you don't expect to be shit on the second you start posting. I'm new to this forum and i can tell unlike other forums, people are more concerned about keeping it their own little community as opposed to inviting others in. Which is odd because everyone I meet in real life that rock climbs is the exact opposite.. Or maybe that's just where I'm from. I belong to a drum forum and sometimes people ask weird questions.. We either A) answer them and ask why they want to know or B) don't post.. I don't think putting up with people calling you retarded makes you a man to be honest haha

This forum is very open and usually goes a page and a half until someone makes a wise ass remark. Unless the question is stupid or involves risk of injury / death. Humor and mocking are the usual reactions to stupidity.

Please look at the FAQ in particular "ask the n00b". It is funny, funny stuff. Then search [codefrog] for how not to react. **sob, I miss him**

And, I've got to add two more things. If you are in a potentially dangeRous environment and someone calls you a moron, shut up, stop, and think long and hard before you get angry.

Second, I've just gotta add, "can't take being called a moron when you are being a moron, sounds like.....

MANAGEMENT"

bill413

Jul 30, 2009, 10:49 PM
Post #41 of 47 (1486 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Fall like a ninja? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
tyler_A wrote:

This site may have some pointers on how to land ike a ninja.

I feel like I need to wash. How did you find such a cool, and by cool, I mean totally sweet site. (GMWAS)

jgorris

Jul 31, 2009, 12:02 AM
Post #42 of 47 (1462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This dude will know how for sure:
http://askaninja.com/

bill413

Jul 31, 2009, 1:06 AM
Post #43 of 47 (1453 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jgorris] Fall like a ninja? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jgorris wrote:
This dude will know how for sure:
http://askaninja.com/

Now that is a resource.

sidepull

Aug 28, 2009, 8:32 PM
Post #44 of 47 (1369 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Fall like a ninja? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

All the ninja jokery and cool parkour vids aside, there was a really sweet Steven Jeffrey clip from about ten years ago with him dropping from slightly above a full campus board onto the bottom rung and catching himself without bottoming out. Crazy, but not available on youtube.

Okay, back to posting random ninja sites ...

knieveltech

Aug 28, 2009, 8:39 PM
Post #45 of 47 (1367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tyler_A wrote:
I said remotely, like being able to land 15 or 20 feet consistently without damage, not 1000.

Thank you however for the warm welcome since this was my first post on the forum.

Someone gave you a warm welcome? They should be banned immediately. In the mean time, you need to STFU, n00b.

agincourt

Sep 21, 2009, 3:11 PM
Post #46 of 47 (1291 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knieveltech] Fall like a ninja? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a noob to climbing, but I do have extensive experience falling off of stuff

PLF's are for falling straight down and landing with your feet and knees firmly together, you have a few hundred feet to get your shit lined up right. Even so, Airborne ops tend to do wacky things and guys are always getting scuffed up from bad falls.

"Ninja" breakfalls and other bullshido stuff are for not breaking an arm or your tailbone when you get pushed over.

I used to rodeo, and being flung off a horse defeated most attempts to 'fall correctly' in that you never knew which way your body would be oriented in the fall. Plus horses sometimes kick you or step on you.

The only thing you really can do about falling is try not to land on your headpiece and don't try to catch the ground with your arms. There is no 'consistently' attached to falling

milesenoell

Sep 21, 2009, 4:22 PM
Post #47 of 47 (1273 views)
Shortcut

Re: [agincourt] Fall like a ninja? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

agincourt wrote:
I'm a noob to climbing, but I do have extensive experience falling off of stuff

PLF's are for falling straight down and landing with your feet and knees firmly together, you have a few hundred feet to get your shit lined up right. Even so, Airborne ops tend to do wacky things and guys are always getting scuffed up from bad falls.

"Ninja" breakfalls and other bullshido stuff are for not breaking an arm or your tailbone when you get pushed over.

I used to rodeo, and being flung off a horse defeated most attempts to 'fall correctly' in that you never knew which way your body would be oriented in the fall. Plus horses sometimes kick you or step on you.

The only thing you really can do about falling is try not to land on your headpiece and don't try to catch the ground with your arms. There is no 'consistently' attached to falling

Wow, on on topic response that expresses actual experience with the subject? You really are a noob. At least you found a way to sneer at some of the other comments, there may be hope for you yet.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook