Forums: Climbing Information: Climbing History & Trivia:
Climbing and the Olympics trivia question...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

kachoong

Oct 23, 2009, 4:27 PM
Post #26 of 33 (2941 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Climbing and the Olympics trivia question... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
I have to apologize, I'm now receiving mixed information now. Apparently there was more then one time that the Olympic gold medal was awarded for Alpinism. There have been 25 awards made, and none of them have been guessed yet.

Well, now you're starting to make it easier... the last of the three north face walls were done in the 30's, right? The Matterhorn was done in either 1931 or 32 by Schmid (Schmidt ?) brothers, so I'm guessing they got a medal for that? The other two (Grand Jorasses and Eiger possibly received medals too?) Did Harrer et. al. get one for their 1938 ascent?

kachoong

Oct 23, 2009, 4:28 PM
Post #27 of 33 (2938 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Climbing and the Olympics trivia question... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Matterhorn FTW?

sungam

Oct 23, 2009, 4:47 PM
Post #28 of 33 (2935 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
sungam wrote:
I have to apologize, I'm now receiving mixed information now. Apparently there was more then one time that the Olympic gold medal was awarded for Alpinism. There have been 25 awards made, and none of them have been guessed yet.

Well, now you're starting to make it easier... the last of the three north face walls were done in the 30's, right? The Matterhorn was done in either 1931 or 32 by Schmid (Schmidt ?) brothers, so I'm guessing they got a medal for that? The other two (Grand Jorasses and Eiger possibly received medals too?) Did Harrer et. al. get one for their 1938 ascent?
Harrer and co did not recieve a medal - but Franz and Toni Schmidt did, for their ascent of the North Face of the Matterhorn.
A full list of people who have recieved them can be found here:
http://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/sports/ALP/
The awards were given for 2 different Himalayan expeditions and for the Schmidt route.
And so Kachoong wins this one.

kachoong

Oct 23, 2009, 5:27 PM
Post #29 of 33 (2930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
kachoong wrote:
sungam wrote:

Harrer and co did not recieve a medal - but Franz and Toni Schmidt did, for their ascent of the North Face of the Matterhorn.
The awards were given for 2 different Himalayan expeditions and for the Schmidt route.

I knew all that reading would come in handy... I think I read about those ascent accounts in Messner's book about Big Walls. Knowing about the history of climbing is something all climbers should read into... it really is the backbone of why we do what we do.

sungam

Oct 23, 2009, 7:39 PM
Post #30 of 33 (2914 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
sungam wrote:
kachoong wrote:
sungam wrote:

I knew all that reading would come in handy... I think I read about those ascent accounts in Messner's book about Big Walls. Knowing about the history of climbing is something all climbers should read into... it really is the backbone of why we do what we do.
Yes!
For anyone who hasn't read it Fergus Flemming's Killing Dragons just can't be missed. Classic stories of the birth of the spirit of alpinism - and excellently written.

skiclimb

Oct 26, 2009, 2:19 PM
Post #31 of 33 (2885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pretty cool how many sherpas have gotten recognition.

(This post was edited by skiclimb on Oct 26, 2009, 2:19 PM)

olderic

Oct 26, 2009, 4:04 PM
Post #32 of 33 (2864 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skiclimb] Climbing and the Olympics trivia question... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

skiclimb wrote:

Unfortunately all the ones on this list died in one of the early Everest expeditions.

skiclimb

Oct 30, 2009, 4:15 PM
Post #33 of 33 (2815 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Climbing and the Olympics trivia question... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
skiclimb wrote:

Unfortunately all the ones on this list died in one of the early Everest expeditions.

Ouch..your right I should have noticed that

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook