RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

sp00ki

Nov 18, 2009, 10:29 PM
Post #1 of 16 (9604 views)
Shortcut

Best: sloper, pinch, crimp, other?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm putting something up in my bedroom this weekend so my gf and i can do pullup reps and hangs before bed or whenever.
Without going into the construction details, i'm looking to buy two each of:
- sloper
- pinch

Does anyone know of a good screw in sloper holds? Pinch holds?
nothing too challenging, just looking to build up a bit of hand strength while doing before bed stuff.
I'm looking to use screw vs bolt on, as this keeps things simpler.

sp00ki

Nov 18, 2009, 10:31 PM
Post #2 of 16 (9596 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp00ki] Best: sloper, pinch, crimp, other? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

something that satisfies both of these would actually be awesome, now that i think about it.

rockforlife

Nov 18, 2009, 10:32 PM
Post #3 of 16 (9596 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sp00ki wrote:
I'm putting something up in my bedroom this weekend so my gf and i can do pullup reps and hangs before bed or whenever.
Without going into the construction details, i'm looking to buy two each of:
- sloper
- pinch

Does anyone know of a good screw in sloper holds? Pinch holds?
nothing too challenging, just looking to build up a bit of hand strength while doing before bed stuff.
I'm looking to use screw vs bolt on, as this keeps things simpler.

http://climbingholdreview.blogspot.com/...w-stuff-october.html

Here is a good place to start looking.

sp00ki

Nov 18, 2009, 10:42 PM
Post #4 of 16 (9586 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockforlife] Best: sloper, pinch, crimp, other? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Looked through their screw-on holds section, only four results, and three didn't apply.

i'll look into the lines mentioned in their revolutions screw on line, though it doesn't appear to be quite what i was looking for.

ed: yeah, definitely not. their screw ons are too small, and not slopers or pinches.

(This post was edited by sp00ki on Nov 18, 2009, 10:45 PM)

johnwesely

Nov 18, 2009, 11:05 PM
Post #5 of 16 (9565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nothing is stopping you from drilling into bolt on holds.

CrazyPetie

Nov 18, 2009, 11:19 PM
Post #6 of 16 (9557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

soill has a new hangboard that has two big slopers and two pinches. This would be much more effective then buying individual holds to do pull ups on.

sp00ki

Nov 19, 2009, 12:57 AM
Post #7 of 16 (9534 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CrazyPetie] Best: sloper, pinch, crimp, other? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

CrazyPetie wrote:
soill has a new hangboard that has two big slopers and two pinches. This would be much more effective then buying individual holds to do pull ups on.

Good call. this is perfect.

Couloirman

Nov 19, 2009, 2:08 AM
Post #8 of 16 (9499 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nice, those SoIll boards look tight! I almost wish I hadn't just mounted the metolius simulator 3d and picked up a SlopeyMon instead. Who has much experience with soill vs the simulator? Maybe i have another doorframe for a second hangboard in my tiny cramped apartment...

(This post was edited by Couloirman on Nov 19, 2009, 2:12 AM)

rockforlife

Nov 19, 2009, 2:13 AM
Post #9 of 16 (9494 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Couloirman] Best: sloper, pinch, crimp, other? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Couloirman wrote:
nice, those SoIll boards look tight! I almost wish I hadn't just mounted the metolius simulator 3d and picked up a SlopeyMon instead. Who has much experience with soill vs the simulator? Maybe i have another doorframe for a second hangboard in my tiny cramped apartment...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhWaJPEoJzQ

circular 8a maybeCrazy, one on each side

Couloirman

Nov 24, 2009, 1:15 AM
Post #10 of 16 (9339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CrazyPetie wrote:

Has anyone actually seen one/been on one of those Iron Palm crypto boards that I think you're referring to? Im debating between slopeymon and the Iron Cross but have nowhere to go to try them out. I have been advised by soill that the iron palm kicks ass but that just might be because theyre new and they have A TON laying around so I was looking for a more subjective opinion.

villageidiot

Nov 24, 2009, 1:30 AM
Post #11 of 16 (9322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I seem to remember reading that one of the problems of training slopers and pinches is that the strength gains tend to be rather specific to the hold geometry. Meaning that if you by a set of slopers and pinches you end up really only training for those particular holds, and not other slopers or pinches. I thought that was why campus boards and fingerboards tend to focus on crimp type holds. However, the most basic system walls I remember seeing may have only one each, so I may be talking out my a$$.

Couloirman

Nov 24, 2009, 9:32 PM
Post #12 of 16 (9220 views)
Shortcut

Re: [villageidiot] Best: sloper, pinch, crimp, other? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

villageidiot wrote:
I seem to remember reading that one of the problems of training slopers and pinches is that the strength gains tend to be rather specific to the hold geometry. Meaning that if you by a set of slopers and pinches you end up really only training for those particular holds, and not other slopers or pinches. I thought that was why campus boards and fingerboards tend to focus on crimp type holds. However, the most basic system walls I remember seeing may have only one each, so I may be talking out my a$$.

I dont think thats the case. It would also seem pretty pointless to make a sloper board ( http://www.soillholds.com/...duct_detail&p=73 ) if that were the case.

sidepull

Nov 24, 2009, 10:03 PM
Post #13 of 16 (9204 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Couloirman wrote:
villageidiot wrote:

I dont think thats the case. It would also seem pretty pointless to make a sloper board ( http://www.soillholds.com/...duct_detail&p=73 ) if that were the case.

I think the village idiot is right, strength is pretty grip-position specific. Training slopers will not make you strong with crimps or two-finger pockets. Please read the Self Coached Climber or Rockprodigy's training article on this site for opinions more educated than my own (you might also try reading Neil Gresham's training articles on planetfear.com or even Eric Horst's on TrainingForClimbing.com - they would also agree that strength is specific not transferable).

If you're still looking for screw on slopers and pinches, the best slopers you can get are below (plus you'll get them at a superior price):

http://www.synrockholds.com/screworbolt.html

shimanilami

Nov 24, 2009, 10:12 PM
Post #14 of 16 (9194 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In Progression, Paxti was training with these balls, appeared to be ~6" in diameter, that hung down on chains. I was thinking that those must be sweet for pinch and sloper training, but I've never seen anything like them. Anyone know who makes them? Any suggestions on how to construct something like that?

Couloirman

Nov 24, 2009, 10:14 PM
Post #15 of 16 (9194 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] Best: sloper, pinch, crimp, other? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sidepull wrote:
I think the village idiot is right, strength is pretty grip-position specific. Training slopers will not make you strong with crimps or two-finger pockets. Please read the Self Coached Climber or Rockprodigy's training article on this site for opinions more educated than my own (you might also try reading Neil Gresham's training articles on planetfear.com or even Eric Horst's on TrainingForClimbing.com - they would also agree that strength is specific not transferable).

If you're still looking for screw on slopers and pinches, the best slopers you can get are below (plus you'll get them at a superior price):

the metolius training booklet that came with my simulator specifically said that training open handed grips(like slopers) will make you stornger for crimps, but not vice versa. Not that their the gods of excercising or anything, but Id like to believe them.

sidepull

Nov 25, 2009, 2:28 PM
Post #16 of 16 (9142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Couloirman wrote:
sidepull wrote:

the metolius training booklet that came with my simulator specifically said that training open handed grips(like slopers) will make you stornger for crimps, but not vice versa. Not that their the gods of excercising or anything, but Id like to believe them.

If you want to blindly follow metolius that's fine. I've never seen where they have anyone with any "training" experience on their staff. I've listed a number of references that have much more credibility in this arena. I urge you to spend some time and look things up, before just doing what metolius says.

You can start here:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ockprodigy__258.html

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook