Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Climbing Skills for Red Rock Canyon?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

vkwong1

Dec 23, 2009, 7:33 PM
Post #1 of 9 (6487 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Skills for Red Rock Canyon?  (North_America: United_States: Nevada: Red_Rock_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi Guys!

A couple of friends and I are planning on visiting Red Rock Canyon to climb in February. We've mostly done indoor climbing, going out a few times for outdoor top roping in Squamish (5.7-5.9).

What kind of skills would we need to climb some interesting routes for 4 days? We have limited gear - 60m rope, carabiners, and some slings.

Should we take a few courses in lead climbing or multi pitch for Red Rock Canyon? Or are there enough top roping routes that we can have fun for 4 days out there?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Viv

kennoyce

Dec 23, 2009, 8:12 PM
Post #2 of 9 (6462 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vkwong1] Climbing Skills for Red Rock Canyon? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't think of a single route at red rocks that is easy to top rope (granted I haven't climbed every route there either, but most routes there don't lend to easy topropes). Really in Red Rocks there isn't much sport climbing below 5.10, so if you want to do easier stuff you will have to go with trad routes. As I assume that you probably don't want to get that much gear in the next couple of months, you need to at least learn how to lead sport in the 5.10 range and get a dozen draws.

Hope you have fun, but red rocks may be a bit above your abilities (unless you want to climb the same 4 routes on panty wall over and over for 4 days).

dugl33

Dec 23, 2009, 8:15 PM
Post #3 of 9 (6461 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vkwong1 wrote:
Hi Guys!

A couple of friends and I are planning on visiting Red Rock Canyon to climb in February. We've mostly done indoor climbing, going out a few times for outdoor top roping in Squamish (5.7-5.9).

What kind of skills would we need to climb some interesting routes for 4 days? We have limited gear - 60m rope, carabiners, and some slings.

Should we take a few courses in lead climbing or multi pitch for Red Rock Canyon? Or are there enough top roping routes that we can have fun for 4 days out there?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Viv

Are you referring to the Red Rocks in Las Vegas? There are a few areas called Red Rock Canyon.

dugl33

Dec 23, 2009, 8:23 PM
Post #4 of 9 (6448 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] Climbing Skills for Red Rock Canyon? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kennoyce wrote:
I can't think of a single route at red rocks that is easy to top rope (granted I haven't climbed every route there either, but most routes there don't lend to easy topropes). Really in Red Rocks there isn't much sport climbing below 5.10, so if you want to do easier stuff you will have to go with trad routes. As I assume that you probably don't want to get that much gear in the next couple of months, you need to at least learn how to lead sport in the 5.10 range and get a dozen draws.

Hope you have fun, but red rocks may be a bit above your abilities (unless you want to climb the same 4 routes on panty wall over and over for 4 days).

I would agree. You might have more options in Joshua Tree, although at least some trad gear is necessary to set up some (many) top ropes. Unless you can climb at least 10 sport or 5.7 multipitch trad, red rocks will have limited options for you.

vkwong1

Dec 23, 2009, 8:25 PM
Post #5 of 9 (6445 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dugl33] Climbing Skills for Red Rock Canyon? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was thinking of the one in Las Vegas. Its absolutely freezing in Vancouver right now and I'm looking for any place sunny (and maybe even warm) to climb.

vkwong1

Dec 23, 2009, 8:28 PM
Post #6 of 9 (6442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind, I've done 5.10a/b in gyms but had some issues with 5.9 crack climbing in squamish.

kennoyce

Dec 23, 2009, 8:37 PM
Post #7 of 9 (6435 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The sport climbing in red rocks is going to be more like the gym then a squamish crack (the trad climbing probably will as well now that I think about it). At red rocks the holds are mostly good incut edges and rails, or big huecos, and even most of the "crack climbs" there tend to be face climbs that use cracks for pro.

It still may be above your abilities, but you could probably find climbers there who would be willing to let you use their allready set up TR's, or you could seek out the few easier routs to lead yourself.

vegastradguy

Dec 24, 2009, 5:28 AM
Post #8 of 9 (6368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Jason Martin recently published a book called Fun Climbs Red Rocks, a top roping guide to the area. Jason was the head guide for AAI here for years and has a alot of experience in the area. It's available fairly widely- i've seen it in quite a few gear shops. This book not only covers lots of good top ropes, but also basic skills for the area.

(There are actually plenty of TR only routes in the park- you just need to know where to look. Most folks who dont live here dont know about them because most of these routes are not at the really popular crags)

I might also recommend that if you have no outdoor experience, a guide for the area may be a good idea- i can heartily recommend American Alpine Institute- their head guide for the area, Scott Massey, is excellent.

jt512

Dec 24, 2009, 6:40 AM
Post #9 of 9 (6345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

vkwong1 wrote:

Should we take a few courses in lead climbing or multi pitch for Red Rock Canyon?

You should take a course in trolling—or maybe not, you seem to be doing ok as is.

Jay

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook