RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

Partner angry

Feb 13, 2010, 2:45 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1666 views)
Shortcut

Surgery consult Feb 22.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So after over a year with a bum finger, I have finally started working on getting it straight.

The background

Jan of last year, heard 2 pops in my ring finger and fell. My finger didn't much work after that.

3 months later I could climb cracks again and some face moves if I taped the finger out of the equation.

By May I could climb juggy steep sport but my trad was getting worse because my finger was healing so crooked. It literally blocked my fingers and hands from entering the crack.

It's been like that ever since, just getting stiffer and stiffer. I am climbing at the hardest sport I've ever been at, but question my ability to even approach my previous levels of trad.

In the last month I've seen the ortho twice. He's done the Xray and MRI. The tendon is thicker off center. The joint is intact and the pulleys do not appear to be torn anymore. Cortisone didn't do anything.

I've been referred to a surgeon. Seeing as my surgeon or ortho are not climbers, I'll be double checking everything they say.

As an aside, I'm in the medium planning stages of a trip to Greenland this summer. I'm pretty committed to the trip so depending on what he says about recovery, i may opt to delay the surgery until after the trip.

I'll let you guys know more when I know more.

granite_grrl

Feb 13, 2010, 3:53 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1645 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Surgery consult Feb 22. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good luck with it all. Surgery is scary, but it's also somewhat liberating. It's nice to have what medical stuff that can be done done, and then you know that the efforts that you put into recovery are not being diminished by something you, personally, can't do anything about.

gblauer

Feb 15, 2010, 8:19 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1594 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Surgery consult Feb 22. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Angry...do it with OPEN EYES. Had I known what I know now about by feet, i would have NEVER done the surgery at this point in my life. Ask the MD for an honest assessment of your recovery.

I honestly don't think I will ever be able to climb again. Had I known this, I would have waited until I was done climbing or at least until I was done having any real climbing goals.

Good luck with your decision and your recovery.

(This post was edited by gblauer on Feb 15, 2010, 7:36 PM)

malcolm777b

Feb 15, 2010, 9:21 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1588 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Surgery consult Feb 22. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
Hey Angry...do it with OPEN EYES. Had I known what I know now about by feet, i would have NEVER done the surgery at this point in my life. As the MD for an honest assessment of your recovery.

I honestly don't think I will ever be able to climb again. Had I known this, I would have waited until I was done climbing or at least until I was done have climbing goals.

May I ask what happened to your foot that required surgery?

I had surgery to reattach 2 cuts in my extensor tendon in my left foot great toe. It's been 2 months since surgery and healing up. I can walk (limited) now, but climbing is out of the question for now. I tried to put my feet in climbing shoes, but I can't put enough pressure on my foot to climb. Hopefully this will all work itself out. My surgeon says I won't be climbing for 6 months to a year. I have hope for a quicker recovery since he has been "conservative" in all of his estimates thus far, but who knows how long until I get enough ROM back.

Hopefully I didn't just hijack Angry's thread.

rightarmbad

Feb 15, 2010, 9:44 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1584 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Surgery consult Feb 22. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey Angry...do it with OPEN EYES. Had I known what I know now about by feet, i would have NEVER done the surgery at this point in my life. As the MD for an honest assessment of your recovery.

I honestly don't think I will ever be able to climb again. Had I known this, I would have waited until I was done climbing or at least until I was done have climbing goals.

Lisfranc injury by any chance?

gblauer

Feb 15, 2010, 7:30 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1537 views)
Shortcut

Re: [malcolm777b] Surgery consult Feb 22. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

no injury per se, it's good old fashioned arthritis in both big toe joints. I had hallux rigidus.

So far my recovery has been very very slow.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook