lactid acid tolerance training in other muscles
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

aerili

Feb 25, 2010, 8:41 PM
Post #51 of 79 (5904 views)
Shortcut

Re: [DexterRutecki] lactid acid tolerance training in other muscles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

DexterRutecki wrote:
aerili wrote:
Muscles acting "dynamically"? Perhaps you meant "isotonically"?

I'm pretty sure you knew EXACTLY what I meant. From wikipedia "Isometric exercise or isometrics are a type of strength training in which the joint angle and muscle length do not change during contraction (compared to concentric or eccentric contractions, called dynamic/isotonic movements)." But I suppose your comment gives you the chance to correct someone. Whatever.

No, Dexter, I did not know exactly what you meant, hence why I asked. "Dynamic" muscle contraction is not a scientific term and I am not familiar with it--it sounds like a slang/laymen term. The thing is, isotonic contractions are not the only kind during which muscles are changing length, so I guess you could say it is not the only "dynamic" muscle action. Hence why "dynamic" is a very imprecise term and not used in real, actual books that discuss skeletal muscle physiology (none I've read anyway).

rightarmbad wrote:
Huh? It is more of a time/power equation.
For very short times from 10 secs for normal folk up to 20 secs for highly trained folk, energy comes from creatine phosphate and ATP stored within the muscle itself, therefore no lactate production until this is used up.
Once this is used up then outside help is needed, but with a continuous muscle contraction, circulation is greatly impeded and therefore there can be failure of the muscle without a lactate rise.

I am fully educated and aware of the 3 energy systems in the human body.

The body produces lactate all day long, every day, and this occurs even during those brief seconds every now and then when we call on our PCr energy system for energy.

Isometric contractions produce LOADS of lactate and in fact this lactate is a very important source of energy to sustain the contraction (contributes to about 60% of its ATP turnover).

I can cite you my direct source if you like.

DexterRutecki

Feb 25, 2010, 8:47 PM
Post #52 of 79 (5896 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] lactid acid tolerance training in other muscles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
Hence why "dynamic" is a very imprecise term and not used in real, actual books that discuss skeletal muscle physiology (none I've read anyway).

I don't need yer fancy books. Dynamic was the term I was searching for...I looked it up in my gut.

Everything on here is such a pissing match.

aerili

Feb 25, 2010, 8:50 PM
Post #53 of 79 (5893 views)
Shortcut

Re: [DexterRutecki] lactid acid tolerance training in other muscles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

When it's a topic outside your expertise, try not to think of it as a pissing match, but rather an opportunity to learn.

DexterRutecki

Feb 25, 2010, 8:52 PM
Post #54 of 79 (5889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
When it's a topic outside your expertise, try not to think of it as a pissing match, but rather an opportunity to learn.

Try to get off your high horse.

jt512

Feb 25, 2010, 9:05 PM
Post #55 of 79 (5882 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
Isometric contractions produce LOADS of lactate and in fact this lactate is a very important source of energy to sustain the contraction (contributes to about 60% of its ATP turnover).

I'd be interested in reading that source.

Jay

timmay

Feb 25, 2010, 9:22 PM
Post #56 of 79 (5867 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmw03j] lactid acid tolerance training in other muscles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In order to neutralize the soaring accumulation of pyruvate and protons (from the splitting of ATP), each pyruvate molecule absorbs two protons into its structure, converting to lactate.

jmw03j - Thanks for bringing in the Robergs article about lactate. There were 3 or more responses to this paper that calls Robergs findings into question. This paper oversimplified many things and caused some inaccuracies. I would highly recommend looking up some of the articles posted as a rebuttal. Lactate, when added to a solution, drastically reduces the pH of the solution which means in the normal pH of the body, it does contribute some H+ to the body. I do know where you are coming from as this article messed with my thinking as well for a couple of years until I started to read the rebuttals.

As far as muscular fatigue, some research from the University of Utah has shown that it takes a combination of a decrease in pH, an increase in lactate, and an increase in extracellular ATP to cause muscular fatigue. A change in these metabolites signal some afferent nerve fibers causing fatigue (looking up some of Alan Light's papers will give you a mechanism and receptors implicated in fatigue). If these metabolites change too much, instead of fatigue, pain will result. In order to keep the metabolites from accumulating as much, it would probably be beneficial to improve vascularization to help wash out the metabolites and keeping them from accumulating.

Tim

ceebo

Feb 25, 2010, 9:28 PM
Post #57 of 79 (5864 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

aerili wrote:

Well i tried that.. and look at the cocky twats who replied. Atleast your actually typing stuff i can read instead of being directed to google who directs me back to another forum like this full of more idiots with nothing better to do than mock those who know less.

should i leave a comment here like

GO
Climb!!

arogent basterds

aerili

Feb 25, 2010, 9:36 PM
Post #58 of 79 (5860 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] lactid acid tolerance training in other muscles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
aerili wrote:

Jay

"Muscle ATP turnover rate rate during isometric contraction in humans" J. Appl. Physiol. 60: 1839-1842, 1986 Katz, Sahlin & Hendriksson

timmay wrote:
Lactate, when added to a solution, drastically reduces the pH of the solution which means in the normal pH of the body, it does contribute some H+ to the body.

Hey Tim, would that be a solution outside the body? Cause the last time I talked to an exercise physiologist researcher, he stated that new findings show lactate added to room temperature muscle biopsies (what all this muscle acidosis/fatigue theory has been based on) does not seem to replicate under actual muscle temperatures inside the human body when lactate is injected.

aerili

Feb 25, 2010, 9:53 PM
Post #59 of 79 (5847 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] lactid acid tolerance training in other muscles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey ceebo,

Sorry you feel mocked...I guess that is a hazard of the online world to some degree. I think the problem was that you created an example of what is happening in the body wrt fuel substrate systems using some strange and majorly-assumptive thinking about "how the body works" with its energy resources....It truly made no sense. So little sense to me, in fact, I couldn't take the time to really respond to any part of it--it's too much of a time-suck. Sorry....no offense intended, just telling you my thoughts.

You should be able to get a clearer idea of how the body utilizes energy (in the most basic outline) from a proper Google search...I would have to agree with that sentiment from others.

Or, you could just go climb! Cool

jt512

Feb 25, 2010, 10:09 PM
Post #60 of 79 (5839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
jt512 wrote:
aerili wrote:

Jay

"Muscle ATP turnover rate rate during isometric contraction in humans" J. Appl. Physiol. 60: 1839-1842, 1986 Katz, Sahlin & Hendriksson

Actually, I was looking for a source that shows that lactate is a major source of energy during anaerobic exercise. The article you cited shows that lactate accumulates during isometric exercise, which would suggest that it is not being utilized as an energy source.

Jay

DexterRutecki

Feb 25, 2010, 11:03 PM
Post #61 of 79 (5819 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Actually, I was looking for a source that shows that lactate is a major source of energy during anaerobic exercise. The article you cited shows that lactate accumulates during isometric exercise, which would suggest that it is not being utilized as an energy source.

Jay

I'm no expert here, and this is far from a pubmed article, but my googling turned this up, which was news to me:

http://www.nytimes.com/...nutrition/16run.html

Maybe you've already read such things but were looking for something more concrete. Sorry if that's the case.

ceebo

Feb 25, 2010, 11:19 PM
Post #62 of 79 (5808 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so lactic acid is good for you, does that change anything in the way we should train or not?.

DexterRutecki

Feb 25, 2010, 11:24 PM
Post #63 of 79 (5800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
so lactic acid is good for you, does that change anything in the way we should train or not?.

IF in fact increasing mitochondrial size is important, as I think the article implies, than it seems logical to me that you would need to increase it in your forearms, not your legs, and the best way to do this would be climbing specific endurance routines. I think it just backs up what high level climbers have known for some time. I don't think that article alone and my limited knowledge of this stuff is enough for attaching much certainty to that though.

rightarmbad

Feb 25, 2010, 11:28 PM
Post #64 of 79 (5798 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are two basic anaerobic pathways, direct use of CP and ATP stored within the muscle, 'alactic anaerobic' which does not generate lactate and, 'lactic anaerobic', which generates lactate which then enters Krebs cycle to be metabolized aerobically.
Krebs cycle cannot keep up with the amount of lactic generation under high loads and lactate will begin to accumulate in the muscle and lowers PH which makes firing of the muscle require higher and higher strength electrical signals to work.
The fact that I see no rise in lactate levels from a typical resting level of .8 or .9 mmols tends to make me believe that it is simply the running out of CP and ATP within the cell that is what will make it that you can no longer hang on strong enough to stop you falling off.
This alactic anaerobic source can be trained and Olympic level peoples will typically have trained this system to the max which is about 20 secs worth of full power. Most ordinary folk only have 8 to 10 secs worth.
So training your lactic anaerobic system and aerobic system will potentially achieve nothing much compared to training your alactic anaerobic system.
Short answer, go climb.

ceebo

Feb 25, 2010, 11:32 PM
Post #65 of 79 (5793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

by endurence your talking about the 45 min type?

if so, im able to do 45 min and i wonder if i should increase the time or is it better just to increase the intensity?

and 1 more thing.. their is a treverse that i can only last 5 or so minutes on. If i worked my arse off at this would it be a possibility of eventually getting that treverse upto my 45 min aerobic endurence? or would it allways kick my arse

DexterRutecki

Feb 25, 2010, 11:38 PM
Post #66 of 79 (5786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, I don't mean the 45 min type. But rather than me doing a half assed job of explaining endurance routines in this thread, I do suggest you googling it, or checking out some of the well liked books that cover it. Trainingforclimbing.com probably has some good material from Horst for free.

davidnn5

Feb 26, 2010, 12:21 AM
Post #67 of 79 (5772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Reading all the endless quotes of single sources that are claimed to be authoritative information has drained my will to forumise.

Someone count up all the 'it does x' versus the 'it does y or z' citations and give us the cliff notes version of who's won the thread and what people should actually do to improve endurance/reduce fatigue?

Or was that just 'climb to train for climbing' which if I recall correctly someone said on the first page?

(This post was edited by davidnn5 on Feb 26, 2010, 12:22 AM)

hafilax

Feb 26, 2010, 12:26 AM
Post #68 of 79 (5766 views)
Shortcut

Re: [davidnn5] lactid acid tolerance training in other muscles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not even sure that everyone is talking about the same kind of endurance (ability to hold onto a hold for a long time, ability to pull consecutive hard moves, ability to climb at a high level all day etc.).

aerili

Feb 26, 2010, 1:08 AM
Post #69 of 79 (5757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry I misinterpreted what you were looking for (cause I think someone was saying that isometric exercise doesn't cause lactate build-up, only isotonic exercise does...or something like that).

I think my wording was confusing about the lactate-as-fuel as well; from what I understand, the accumulation of lactate during isometric exercise provides a renewable source of support fuel for consequent muscular work locally (rather than immediately during). In other words, in climbing, we are not isometrically contracting our hand and forearm muscles continuously, but of course in a series. And when you are shaking out/in between grips, I believe the recovery is primarily aerobically fueled (because at rest that is our primary fuel pathway)--which gives that lactate a chance to be shuttled directly back into the muscle, oxidized in the mitochondria, and used directly as fuel.

The reality is that we are never in really in "just" anaerobic metabolism or aerobic metabolism--we are usually in a blend of both, and anaerobic metabolism appears to be linked to aerobic metabolism through this direct lactate shuttle. Thus, greater lactate production could actually mean better performance.

SpidergripJ

Feb 26, 2010, 1:47 AM
Post #70 of 79 (5746 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climb4free] lactid acid tolerance training in other muscles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Intresting

jt512

Feb 26, 2010, 2:49 AM
Post #71 of 79 (5739 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] lactid acid tolerance training in other muscle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
The reality is that we are never in really in "just" anaerobic metabolism or aerobic metabolism--we are usually in a blend of both, and anaerobic metabolism appears to be linked to aerobic metabolism through this direct lactate shuttle. Thus, greater lactate production could actually mean better performance.

I don't think it makes sense to talk about increasing lactate production to increase performance, because the only way to produce lactate is to burn glucose, and the stoichiometry is fixed: each glucose molecule burned produces two lactate molecules in the anaerobic pathway. What might make more sense, though, is to increase the cell's ability to utilize the lactate produced. Common sense suggests that training near the anaerobic threshold could increase the muscle cell's ability to utilize lactate.

Jay

rightarmbad

Feb 26, 2010, 4:47 AM
Post #72 of 79 (5723 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] lactid acid tolerance training in other muscle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If it was near anaerobic threashold activities, then I would expect to get lactate readings somewhere between 3 and 4 mmols.
Don't happen.
Though that may also suggest that the muscle group that is working hard is so small that all the resting muscles around it could metabolise the lactate quite quickly and therefore show no circulating rise.

By the same token, if by training the endurance of the working muscles you get aerobic improvements that allow most output to remain highly aerobic, then that would give immense improvement in the amount of time that you could hang on for.
Then the main constraint would be the difficulty of maintaining perfusion during a continual contraction.

el_layclimber

Feb 26, 2010, 5:11 AM
Post #73 of 79 (5717 views)
Shortcut

Re: [poomasta] lactid acid tolerance training in other muscles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Everyone seems more interested in saying that the science on lactic acid is out than answering the actual question.
I know I'm not allowed to speak, since this is a peer-reviewed scientistic insult forum, but here goes:
I have been playing soccer more than climbing lately, and I have been working on bringing up lactic threshold. Whatever is going on in my muscles, I have gotten to where I can sustain numerous bouts of high heart rate and speed for most of the game. Whatever lactic threshold is, mine is higher than it has ever been.
However, my arms still pump out after the same amount of work they always have. I see no carry over from the increased performance in my legs to my ability to sustain a forearm pump. My legs are definitely not burning the extra fuel that is being produced in my forearms and causing them to pump out.
My one-man study is enough to convince me that the fitness helps overall performance and recovery and is great for general health, but having strong legs does not correlate to being able to crank harder. The piece I posted above corroborates with this.

Grizvok

Feb 26, 2010, 5:22 AM
Post #74 of 79 (5714 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] lactid acid tolerance training in other muscle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
aerili wrote:

I don't think it makes sense to talk about increasing lactate production to increase performance, because the only way to produce lactate is to burn glucose, and the stoichiometry is fixed: each glucose molecule burned produces two lactate molecules in the anaerobic pathway. What might make more sense, though, is to increase the cell's ability to utilize the lactate produced. Common sense suggests that training near the anaerobic threshold could increase the muscle cell's ability to utilize lactate.

Jay

I believe this to be closer to the truth.

(This post was edited by Grizvok on Feb 26, 2010, 5:22 AM)

timmay

Feb 26, 2010, 5:29 AM
Post #75 of 79 (5708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey Tim, would that be a solution outside the body? Cause the last time I talked to an exercise physiologist researcher, he stated that new findings show lactate added to room temperature muscle biopsies (what all this muscle acidosis/fatigue theory has been based on) does not seem to replicate under actual muscle temperatures inside the human body when lactate is injected.

You are right in that the solution is outside of the body that we are preparing. The solution also does not contain bicarbonate which would aid in the buffering. However, even in the body, lactic acid would work as an acid and reduce the pH. If the exercise physiologist you were talking to follows what Robergs was saying with lactic acid not contributing to acidosis, I can see why pH might not change. But, looking at more recent literature that refutes that article, scientists are back to saying that lactate does contribute to acidosis. A good article to read would be "Lactic Acid still remains the real cause of acidosis" by Boning (Am J Physiol Regulatory Integrative Comp Physiol 289:902-903, 2005.) along with the 3 other articles that he cites.

You were correct in saying that lactate is a fuel and it would typically be consumed in the muscles nearby to where it is produced. While not much lactate is being produced systemically (whether at the ear or the fingertip), there is probably high amounts of lactate being produced intramuscularly. From a study that should be published in the next sixth months or so, we are seeing that lactate levels of 50mmol, pH6.6, and high levels of ATP is causing a muscle ache similar or slightly worse than that of a feeling of being pumped. We are seeing feelings of fatigue at a pH of 7.2-7.0, lactate of less than 10mmol, and lower levels of ATP.

Thanks all for the great thread on fatigue and training.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook