Forums: Community: Campground:
Sty's Post Count Increaser
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 ... 1814 Next page Last page  View All

kachoong

Mar 22, 2010, 12:36 PM
Post #5426 of 45342 (8666 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Hey Greg, you tryin to climb the Gunks (yes, the whole thing) next weekend?

It's a long story but I'm driving a truck from TX to NJ and I can either stop at home on Thursday and then do the last stretch on Monday, or I can just drive straight thru to NY and climb and collect per diem over the weekend. What ya think?

when do you need to know by? my dad wants me to spend the weekend yanking trees out of the back yard. there's an outside chance I could get out of it, but maybe not.

Oh, and i probably can't be there until Sat morning because a friend is making his acting debut in a play friday night. but sat - mon might work.

I wouldn't be getting in to town until late friday anyway so thats no big deal. I could only do Sat. and Sun. though, got to be back in NJ on Monday morning to outfit the truck.

Hmmm...not sure if a 12-hour drive (roundtrip) is worth 1.5 days of climbing. Too bad you can't do Monday.

Let's touch base on Wed and see where we're at. If it's raining down there on the weekend then we should cancel. If it isn't, then we gotta decide.

Oh yeah, your not in Boston anymore are you? I was was thinking it would be like half that.

I totally agree, 12 hours is too far for a two day weekend in a place you've already climbed plenty and the circumstances being what they are, I doubt I can take monday off.

Oh well, I'll be up there for a longer stretch later this spring so we can plan farther in advance and climb for long enough to justify the drive.

I drove 10 hours each way to climb teh climez with teh Zeek. We were there for two days of climbing. It was worth it! Zeek has that affect on people.

Gmburns2000

Mar 22, 2010, 12:44 PM
Post #5427 of 45342 (8664 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
epoch wrote:
Today's tic list in order of climbed:

Old Spice
Old Stud Topropeking!
[img]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Fh9XTTSkRTk/S6a85XUjfCI/AAAAAAAAAPQ/quwErL89Uvw/s512/2010-03-21%2010.36.15.jpg[/img]
Lower Charlotte's. (actually a zvhen in teh book)

Arete
would like to go back and lead old spice when it isn't as cold. almost did it today and kinda sorta wished I had instead of TR'ing it, but whatever. It'll go.
In reply to:
Out of Gas
Need to add this to the route databases both here and MP. you got the info to do that? That's the 5.8, right?
In reply to:
Dreamweaver. (Featherbaged wun won eh?)

soft for sure. will get on it again later this year for the red point.
Out of Gas isn't published yet.

It will be in the gnU guide whenever it comes out. I feel that, then, it should be added to the RDB of here and/or MP. However, considering the quiet nature of the area I may be disinclined to do it. I, and others, have already omitted adding many routes as it is.

naw, if there's a guidebook then there's no reason to keep it quiet except for personal reasons. Yeah, it's nice to not have crowds, but the guidebook kinda defeats that purpose from the outset and it is probably more likely to be bought before anyone stumbles on that area on-line...but maybe not.

Gmburns2000

Mar 22, 2010, 12:52 PM
Post #5428 of 45342 (8662 views)
Shortcut

Re: [I_do] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I_do wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
epoch wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
nice. at least your getting out. Ecop is making me climb in 40 degree weather on sunday. Mad (blackmail sucks!).

Actually, I'm going to tag along to see where this crag is and get a feel for the place. if it warms up, then i'll climb. if not, then i'll just hang and check the place out.

Bring a jacket, gloves, wollen hat, wear long johns, get some handwarmers, and find your dignity!

He's an unemployed, quasi homeless white boy.

No dignity to be found.

I'm not unemployed; I'm a writer. However, the rest of the statement is completely true.

Are you currently writing something you will be paid for? Does your writing usually generate enough revenue?

If you can't answer both with; yes, then you might be unemployed after all.

Just axing!

- Yes.
- Not yet, but yes in the future.

- Not really because I am working pretty hard to get paid. Just because it isn't bringing in money now that doesn't mean I'm not working to bring in money in the future.

Gmburns2000

Mar 22, 2010, 12:55 PM
Post #5429 of 45342 (8657 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

It's a long story but I'm driving a truck from TX to NJ and I can either stop at home on Thursday and then do the last stretch on Monday, or I can just drive straight thru to NY and climb and collect per diem over the weekend. What ya think?

when do you need to know by? my dad wants me to spend the weekend yanking trees out of the back yard. there's an outside chance I could get out of it, but maybe not.

Oh, and i probably can't be there until Sat morning because a friend is making his acting debut in a play friday night. but sat - mon might work.

I wouldn't be getting in to town until late friday anyway so thats no big deal. I could only do Sat. and Sun. though, got to be back in NJ on Monday morning to outfit the truck.

Hmmm...not sure if a 12-hour drive (roundtrip) is worth 1.5 days of climbing. Too bad you can't do Monday.

Let's touch base on Wed and see where we're at. If it's raining down there on the weekend then we should cancel. If it isn't, then we gotta decide.

Oh yeah, your not in Boston anymore are you? I was was thinking it would be like half that.

I totally agree, 12 hours is too far for a two day weekend in a place you've already climbed plenty and the circumstances being what they are, I doubt I can take monday off.

Oh well, I'll be up there for a longer stretch later this spring so we can plan farther in advance and climb for long enough to justify the drive.

I drove 10 hours each way to climb teh climez with teh Zeek. We were there for two days of climbing. It was worth it! Zeek has that affect on people.

teh zeke is gravitational?

I think your circumstances are different. If it were my only climbing time in a while then I'd probably do that, too. That and he's coming back.

I_do

Mar 22, 2010, 12:56 PM
Post #5430 of 45342 (8656 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
I_do wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
epoch wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
nice. at least your getting out. Ecop is making me climb in 40 degree weather on sunday. Mad (blackmail sucks!).

Actually, I'm going to tag along to see where this crag is and get a feel for the place. if it warms up, then i'll climb. if not, then i'll just hang and check the place out.

Bring a jacket, gloves, wollen hat, wear long johns, get some handwarmers, and find your dignity!

No dignity to be found.

I'm not unemployed; I'm a writer. However, the rest of the statement is completely true.

Are you currently writing something you will be paid for? Does your writing usually generate enough revenue?

Just axing!

- Yes.

- Not really because I am working pretty hard to get paid. Just because it isn't bringing in money now that doesn't mean I'm not working to bring in money in the future.

Well I'll take that as a not being unemployed. I wish you lots of luck and fuzzy bunnies in making a living as a writer (no ironing).

Gmburns2000

Mar 22, 2010, 1:06 PM
Post #5431 of 45342 (8652 views)
Shortcut

Re: [I_do] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I_do wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
I_do wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
epoch wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

No dignity to be found.

Just axing!

- Yes.

Well I'll take that as a not being unemployed. I wish you lots of luck and fuzzy bunnies in making a living as a writer (no ironing).

well thanks! I appreciate it (no ironing either). But knowing a fair amount of people who do work and get paid later, sometimes months later, I consider myself employed. The money will come, I'm sure of it.

notapplicable

Mar 22, 2010, 4:00 PM
Post #5432 of 45342 (8638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
kachoong wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

That's a fair drive.... what, 20-22 hours?

haven't heard back from him either.

To many climbs, not enough time...

So you did end up climbing in Austin? Where at?

As it turns out, the Northern ARG was only a few miles from my hotel so I walked over and bouldered one evening. It was nice to get a bit of exercise after trying not to shoot myself in the face during the 11th power point presentation.

I didn't get to climb outside because we "worked" till about 5 every evening but the hotel did have a small gym and heated pool which I took full advantage of.

notapplicable

Mar 22, 2010, 4:06 PM
Post #5433 of 45342 (8634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

But you wouldn't drive a measly 4 hours to climb the plastic with me? I see how it is.

notapplicable

Mar 22, 2010, 4:08 PM
Post #5434 of 45342 (8631 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
kachoong wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

teh zeke is gravitational?

I think your circumstances are different. If it were my only climbing time in a while then I'd probably do that, too. That and he's coming back.

Yeah I'd drive 10 hours for two days at Cochise too.

The Gunks, I've been to.

kachoong

Mar 22, 2010, 4:09 PM
Post #5435 of 45342 (8629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
kachoong wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
kachoong wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

That's a fair drive.... what, 20-22 hours?

haven't heard back from him either.

To many climbs, not enough time...

So you did end up climbing in Austin? Where at?

As it turns out, the Northern ARG was only a few miles from my hotel so I walked over and bouldered one evening. It was nice to get a bit of exercise after trying not to shoot myself in the face during the 11th power point presentation.

I didn't get to climb outside because we "worked" till about 5 every evening but the hotel did have a small gym and heated pool which I took full advantage of.

Nice one.... actually Saturday was certainly a day for a heated pool here in teh Texas. I think it topped 34F here.

kachoong

Mar 22, 2010, 4:11 PM
Post #5436 of 45342 (8626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
kachoong wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

But you wouldn't drive a measly 4 hours to climb the plastic with me? I see how it is.

Heh! Plastic is not worthy!

Gmburns2000

Mar 22, 2010, 4:19 PM
Post #5437 of 45342 (8620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
kachoong wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

Heh! Plastic is not worthy is for rock masters and I'm not good enough!

fixed for obvious correctedness based on actual rc.com data.

Laugh

notapplicable

Mar 22, 2010, 4:21 PM
Post #5438 of 45342 (8616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
kachoong wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

Heh! Plastic is not worthy!

This is correct

notapplicable

Mar 22, 2010, 4:21 PM
Post #5439 of 45342 (8614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
kachoong wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
kachoong wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

Laugh

Ironically enough, so is this

Partner epoch

Mar 22, 2010, 4:41 PM
Post #5440 of 45342 (8603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
epoch wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
epoch wrote:

Old Spice
Old Stud Topropeking!
[img]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Fh9XTTSkRTk/S6a85XUjfCI/AAAAAAAAAPQ/quwErL89Uvw/s512/2010-03-21%2010.36.15.jpg[/img]

Arete
would like to go back and lead old spice when it isn't as cold. almost did it today and kinda sorta wished I had instead of TR'ing it, but whatever. It'll go.
In reply to:
Out of Gas
Need to add this to the route databases both here and MP. you got the info to do that? That's the 5.8, right?
In reply to:

It will be in the gnU guide whenever it comes out. I feel that, then, it should be added to the RDB of here and/or MP. However, considering the quiet nature of the area I may be disinclined to do it. I, and others, have already omitted adding many routes as it is.

naw, if there's a guidebook then there's no reason to keep it quiet except for personal reasons. Yeah, it's nice to not have crowds, but the guidebook kinda defeats that purpose from the outset and it is probably more likely to be bought before anyone stumbles on that area on-line...but maybe not.

Considering that there is only one outlet for the guide, it may remain an overlooked area. People usually do not associate Maine climbing and Camden. It is overlooked and passed because the hype is on Arcadia. Thing is, locals and myself like the lack of crowds up there. The actions of the CT bolt choppah have caused the local climbing community to appreciate the quiet resource at their disposal.

Gmburns2000

Mar 22, 2010, 4:53 PM
Post #5441 of 45342 (8616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
kachoong wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
kachoong wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

Laugh

Ironically enough, so is this

ahhh!!! I can't see your correction! Frown

Gmburns2000

Mar 22, 2010, 5:05 PM
Post #5442 of 45342 (8614 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
epoch wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
epoch wrote:

Old Spice
Old Stud Topropeking!

Arete
In reply to:
Out of Gas
In reply to:

Considering that there is only one outlet for the guide, it may remain an overlooked area. People usually do not associate Maine climbing and Camden. It is overlooked and passed because the hype is on Arcadia. Thing is, locals and myself like the lack of crowds up there. The actions of the CT bolt choppah have caused the local climbing community to appreciate the quiet resource at their disposal.

understood and acknowledged with appreciation, but I seriously doubt KN doesn't know about the guidebook. besides, the point of the guidebook is to make the places and routes easier to find, not to keep it a special place for only locals.

also, based on where we went, NONE of that rock is hidden. it is all pretty easily found by either hiking or driving, and there's plenty of info on MP and RC.com to show people that there is, in fact, decent rock up there.

I think we're probably going to have to disagree on this. I know, people don't want folks rushing to their crag, and the concern about chopping is a legit reason for keeping things on the down-low. BUT I think there are better ways to manage bolt chopping. The WMCC is a good example of this. Yeah, it took some muscle, but KN won't be back at Farely for a long time, and it isn't because it is hush-hush, it's because the community expanded and got strong enough to combat him. I'd rather have a large, strong community than a small, quiet one.

I dunno, for me, the outdoors are to be shared. I understand and sympathize with those who don't feel the same way, however. It's just a difference of living life, and I'm openly on the side of sharing. I hope that doesn't mean you stop showing me around, but if that's my penalty then so be it.

donald949

Mar 22, 2010, 5:21 PM
Post #5443 of 45342 (8608 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:

Saw your FB post. Sounds like you got some good laps in.
We had the opposite problem here Sat.
It was hot H-O-T hot. Dang, two weeks ago I was camping in cold, well cold for South OC, rain with my son. Sat im frying my brains on the rock.

notapplicable

Mar 22, 2010, 5:26 PM
Post #5444 of 45342 (8604 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

It was hot H-O-T hot. Dang, two weeks ago I was camping in cold, well cold for South OC, rain with my son. Sat im frying my brains on the rock.

Only the middle of march and already that H-O-T!

Yikes. What the hell is July like?

notapplicable

Mar 22, 2010, 5:27 PM
Post #5445 of 45342 (8602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you guys can't tell, I don't have to work today and no can go climbing.

I is bored.

Gmburns2000

Mar 22, 2010, 5:28 PM
Post #5446 of 45342 (8599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

saw your's, too. how's the sprainage?

Gmburns2000

Mar 22, 2010, 5:29 PM
Post #5447 of 45342 (8598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
If you guys can't tell, I don't have to work today and no can go climbing.

I is bored.

Frown

donald949

Mar 22, 2010, 5:36 PM
Post #5448 of 45342 (8595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also, had a little miss hap.

I Meat Bomb'd the Noobz.

We get to the Big Rock, and its only the 2nd nice weekend since jan 1st, and the parking lot is full.
Oh well.
Hoping to work some stuff on the left, but its all roped up. I squizze in between two groups on the right and rope up.
Climb past the first bolt, standing on a couple slopers, hands on slopers, and feet are sliding. I don't think the route is all that hard, maybe an 8, with the crux being where I'm at. But still. Quick dessicion move up to the good 3/4" edge, and clip the second bolt before I slide off. I don't make the edge.
Peel and fall. Tim locks up catchs me no problem. Right ankle must have gotten twisted on the way down, as its tender. Right hand has a blister, yes the joys of slab.
But otherwise Im fine.
Tim is looking past me.
I turn around.
The young ladies from the local U are out climbing with their class. Shocked
Their eyes were that big.
they were right behind me.
And I just meat bombed them. Laugh

donald949

Mar 22, 2010, 5:40 PM
Post #5449 of 45342 (8587 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Pretty tender, though the swelling is down from yesterday. Not nearly as bad as last year misshap. Hurt both my knee and my ankle. I think I'll be good to go in couple of weeks. Althoug TR'n might be in order for a while longer than that. we'll see.

Gmburns2000

Mar 22, 2010, 5:43 PM
Post #5450 of 45342 (8583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Pretty tender, though the swelling is down from yesterday. Not nearly as bad as last year misshap. Hurt both my knee and my ankle. I think I'll be good to go in couple of weeks. Althoug TR'n might be in order for a while longer than that. we'll see.

well, I certainly know from experience this past year: take care of it or else...

First page Previous page 1 ... 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 ... 1814 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook