Forums: Community: Campground:
Sty's Post Count Increaser
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 ... 1814 Next page Last page  View All

donald949

Mar 22, 2010, 5:45 PM
Post #5451 of 45342 (7985 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
Also, had a little miss hap.

I Meat Bomb'd the Noobz.

We get to the Big Rock, and its only the 2nd nice weekend since jan 1st, and the parking lot is full.
Oh well.
Hoping to work some stuff on the left, but its all roped up. I squizze in between two groups on the right and rope up.
Climb past the first bolt, standing on a couple slopers, hands on slopers, and feet are sliding. I don't think the route is all that hard, maybe an 8, with the crux being where I'm at. But still. Quick dessicion move up to the good 3/4" edge, and clip the second bolt before I slide off. I don't make the edge.
Peel and fall. Tim locks up catchs me no problem. Right ankle must have gotten twisted on the way down, as its tender. Right hand has a blister, yes the joys of slab.
But otherwise Im fine.
Tim is looking past me.
I turn around.
The young ladies from the local U are out climbing with their class. Shocked
Their eyes were that big.
they were right behind me.
And I just meat bombed them. Laugh
So I'm miffed, not quite pissed, but miffed.
I jump back on, and pull through no problem. No idea, what I did wrong. Wrong footholds, or balance off? IDK.
Tim is brought up, I set up a TR, and the boys climb all day. Tim just ends up doing a lot of traversing and bouldering, along with seconding the first climbing. I climb one last time, the ankle is deff tender, but not weak in that direction. clean the anchor and rap off.
The hardest part was the walk out.

donald949

Mar 22, 2010, 5:45 PM
Post #5452 of 45342 (7983 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Accidental pt FTL

donald949

Mar 22, 2010, 5:50 PM
Post #5453 of 45342 (7981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The boys had a good day though.
They climbed like mad. Played in the dirt, rode their bikes all around. And generally were well behaved, much better than the morning when I was trying to get them ready to go. Crazy
Jake climbed up the full 100 feet twice. Climbs too fast for me to keep up with on the rope.
Mark didn't go all the way up, but went up a good ways on his own this time.

donald949

Mar 22, 2010, 5:53 PM
Post #5454 of 45342 (7978 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
nice. at least your getting out. Ecop is making me climb in 40 degree weather on sunday. Mad (blackmail sucks!).

Actually, I'm going to tag along to see where this crag is and get a feel for the place. if it warms up, then i'll climb. if not, then i'll just hang and check the place out.

Yo burns... we didn't come out here to check things out, we came out here to check things off.

I'll climb, but it won't be pretty.

A bad day climbing, including cold hands or a twisted ankle, is better than a any day at the home and garden show. Mad

donald949

Mar 22, 2010, 5:54 PM
Post #5455 of 45342 (7978 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lazlo] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:
or really anything.

Beating your head against the wall?

donald949

Mar 22, 2010, 5:54 PM
Post #5456 of 45342 (7978 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lazlo] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:
But at least I'm being paid.

OIC.
work.
well thats not too bad then.

donald949

Mar 22, 2010, 5:56 PM
Post #5457 of 45342 (7976 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Ho boy...
Up to my armpits in aligators.
Z28 in the shop. Sparkplug got ejected from the head, Al. Backfired, got to look at the cat too. Bout a grand to drill, tap and install an insert. Unsure
Fathter in law had knee replacement yesterday. Wife is off to see him up town. I have to heard the kids around tonight.
Tommarrow night supposed to get w/ the tax man and drop off my paperwork.
Wife is supposed to go back up town over the weekend to see her dad. I'll be in chrge of the boys, and I'm trying to get out climbing at Josh.
Just found out that the boy scouts are going to be there, and going to be climbing. Some are freinds from church and its the boy scout troop associated with the cub scout troop my son started going to. I'll have to take my boys. I'll have to get a few thing together tonight, tommarrow night, Sat morning to pull it off. But, I may be able to swing it.
Crazy pray for me...

Damn dude, that sounds like me lately. I feel your pain.

Atleast you and the boys might be able to squeeze some climbing in though.

Too much backed off.
Even so, it was a full weekend

Gmburns2000

Mar 22, 2010, 5:58 PM
Post #5458 of 45342 (7975 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
nice. at least your getting out. Ecop is making me climb in 40 degree weather on sunday. Mad (blackmail sucks!).

Actually, I'm going to tag along to see where this crag is and get a feel for the place. if it warms up, then i'll climb. if not, then i'll just hang and check the place out.

Yo burns... we didn't come out here to check things out, we came out here to check things off.

I'll climb, but it won't be pretty.

A bad day climbing, including cold hands or a twisted ankle, is better than a any day at the home and garden show. Mad

touche

donald949

Mar 22, 2010, 6:08 PM
Post #5459 of 45342 (7967 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
kachoong wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
kachoong wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Hey Greg, you tryin to climb the Gunks (yes, the whole thing) next weekend?

It's a long story but I'm driving a truck from TX to NJ and I can either stop at home on Thursday and then do the last stretch on Monday, or I can just drive straight thru to NY and climb and collect per diem over the weekend. What ya think?

That's a fair drive.... what, 20-22 hours?

haven't heard back from him either.

To many climbs, not enough time...

So you did end up climbing in Austin? Where at?

As it turns out, the Northern ARG was only a few miles from my hotel so I walked over and bouldered one evening. It was nice to get a bit of exercise after trying not to shoot myself in the face during the 11th power point presentation.

I didn't get to climb outside because we "worked" till about 5 every evening but the hotel did have a small gym and heated pool which I took full advantage of.

Nice one.... actually Saturday was certainly a day for a heated pool here in teh Texas. I think it topped 34F here.
Upper 80's here. Actually a little too hot.

donald949

Mar 22, 2010, 6:13 PM
Post #5460 of 45342 (7964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Saw your FB post. Sounds like you got some good laps in.
We had the opposite problem here Sat.
It was hot H-O-T hot. Dang, two weeks ago I was camping in cold, well cold for South OC, rain with my son. Sat im frying my brains on the rock.

Only the middle of march and already that H-O-T!

Yikes. What the hell is July like?
We don't climb at Big Rock in Riverside in July
Actually, we did once. Several years ago when we were getting back into climbing after a number of years off. But it was over 100 by the time we quit at 1130.

donald949

Mar 22, 2010, 6:23 PM
Post #5461 of 45342 (7959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Saw your FB post. Sounds like you got some good laps in.
We had the opposite problem here Sat.
It was hot H-O-T hot. Dang, two weeks ago I was camping in cold, well cold for South OC, rain with my son. Sat im frying my brains on the rock.

saw your's, too. how's the sprainage?

Pretty tender, though the swelling is down from yesterday. Not nearly as bad as last year misshap. Hurt both my knee and my ankle. I think I'll be good to go in couple of weeks. Althoug TR'n might be in order for a while longer than that. we'll see.

well, I certainly know from experience this past year: take care of it or else...

Yea, prolly should lay off for a while.

kachoong

Mar 22, 2010, 6:25 PM
Post #5462 of 45342 (7956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
kachoong wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
kachoong wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

It's a long story but I'm driving a truck from TX to NJ and I can either stop at home on Thursday and then do the last stretch on Monday, or I can just drive straight thru to NY and climb and collect per diem over the weekend. What ya think?

when do you need to know by? my dad wants me to spend the weekend yanking trees out of the back yard. there's an outside chance I could get out of it, but maybe not.

Oh, and i probably can't be there until Sat morning because a friend is making his acting debut in a play friday night. but sat - mon might work.

I wouldn't be getting in to town until late friday anyway so thats no big deal. I could only do Sat. and Sun. though, got to be back in NJ on Monday morning to outfit the truck.

Hmmm...not sure if a 12-hour drive (roundtrip) is worth 1.5 days of climbing. Too bad you can't do Monday.

Let's touch base on Wed and see where we're at. If it's raining down there on the weekend then we should cancel. If it isn't, then we gotta decide.

Oh yeah, your not in Boston anymore are you? I was was thinking it would be like half that.

I totally agree, 12 hours is too far for a two day weekend in a place you've already climbed plenty and the circumstances being what they are, I doubt I can take monday off.

Oh well, I'll be up there for a longer stretch later this spring so we can plan farther in advance and climb for long enough to justify the drive.

I drove 10 hours each way to climb teh climez with teh Zeek. We were there for two days of climbing. It was worth it! Zeek has that affect on people.

But you wouldn't drive a measly 4 hours to climb the plastic with me? I see how it is.

Heh! Plastic is not worthy is for rock masters and I'm not good enough!

fixed for obvious correctedness based on actual rc.com data.

Laugh

Heh!! I remember that thread. Classic Angry.

kachoong

Mar 22, 2010, 6:26 PM
Post #5463 of 45342 (7951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
If you guys can't tell, I don't have to work today and no can go climbing.

I is bored.

Actually.... I couldn't tell. Cool

kachoong

Mar 22, 2010, 6:29 PM
Post #5464 of 45342 (7949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:

I Meat Bomb'd the Noobz.

We get to the Big Rock, and its only the 2nd nice weekend since jan 1st, and the parking lot is full.
Oh well.
Hoping to work some stuff on the left, but its all roped up. I squizze in between two groups on the right and rope up.
Climb past the first bolt, standing on a couple slopers, hands on slopers, and feet are sliding. I don't think the route is all that hard, maybe an 8, with the crux being where I'm at. But still. Quick dessicion move up to the good 3/4" edge, and clip the second bolt before I slide off. I don't make the edge.
Peel and fall. Tim locks up catchs me no problem. Right ankle must have gotten twisted on the way down, as its tender. Right hand has a blister, yes the joys of slab.
But otherwise Im fine.
Tim is looking past me.
I turn around.

It's a wonder he noticed you fall with all da ladies.

Hope your ankle feels better soon.

donald949

Mar 22, 2010, 7:59 PM
Post #5465 of 45342 (7939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
donald949 wrote:

I Meat Bomb'd the Noobz.

Oh well.
But otherwise Im fine.
Tim is looking past me.
I turn around.

It's a wonder he noticed you fall with all da ladies.

Hope your ankle feels better soon.

Hey yea. He an old married dude like myself. Whch actaully makes it worse. Well he's a couple years younger than me. And there was actually several groups of young girls around.
But I gave a big FALLING shout, he would have been hard pressed to miss it. Also, our wifes are good freinds, so he would have been in big trouble with his wife, if I cratered and told my wife that Tim dropped me cause he was distracted by the coeds.

Thanks for the good wishes for the ankle.

notapplicable

Mar 22, 2010, 8:05 PM
Post #5466 of 45342 (7937 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
kachoong wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
kachoong wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

when do you need to know by? my dad wants me to spend the weekend yanking trees out of the back yard. there's an outside chance I could get out of it, but maybe not.

Oh, and i probably can't be there until Sat morning because a friend is making his acting debut in a play friday night. but sat - mon might work.

I wouldn't be getting in to town until late friday anyway so thats no big deal. I could only do Sat. and Sun. though, got to be back in NJ on Monday morning to outfit the truck.

Hmmm...not sure if a 12-hour drive (roundtrip) is worth 1.5 days of climbing. Too bad you can't do Monday.

Let's touch base on Wed and see where we're at. If it's raining down there on the weekend then we should cancel. If it isn't, then we gotta decide.

Oh yeah, your not in Boston anymore are you? I was was thinking it would be like half that.

I totally agree, 12 hours is too far for a two day weekend in a place you've already climbed plenty and the circumstances being what they are, I doubt I can take monday off.

Oh well, I'll be up there for a longer stretch later this spring so we can plan farther in advance and climb for long enough to justify the drive.

I drove 10 hours each way to climb teh climez with teh Zeek. We were there for two days of climbing. It was worth it! Zeek has that affect on people.

But you wouldn't drive a measly 4 hours to climb the plastic with me? I see how it is.

Heh! Plastic is not worthy is for rock masters and I'm not good enough!

fixed for obvious correctedness based on actual rc.com data.

Laugh

Ironically enough, so is this

ahhh!!! I can't see your correction! Frown

Sly

All I know is that I've never gone to the gym and not had my as thoroughly kicked.

notapplicable

Mar 22, 2010, 8:27 PM
Post #5467 of 45342 (7930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:

I Meat Bomb'd the Noobz.

Oh well.
But otherwise Im fine.
Tim is looking past me.
I turn around.

Other than the ankle, thats pretty funny. It's great to see all heads turn when somebody takes a good fall.

I didn't take any terror inducers like that but a few falls did happen yesterday. I was climbing with the new guy and two weeks ago was the first time he had lead a route or belayed a lead, so this time round I took a fall so he could catch one and then he took two falls to get a feel for it. He seemed to dig it actually, which is a good sign.

notapplicable

Mar 22, 2010, 8:30 PM
Post #5468 of 45342 (7926 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:

I Meat Bomb'd the Noobz.

Oh well.
But otherwise Im fine.
Tim is looking past me.
I turn around.
I jump back on, and pull through no problem. No idea, what I did wrong. Wrong footholds, or balance off? IDK.
Tim is brought up, I set up a TR, and the boys climb all day. Tim just ends up doing a lot of traversing and bouldering, along with seconding the first climbing. I climb one last time, the ankle is deff tender, but not weak in that direction. clean the anchor and rap off.

A lot of people aren't really willing to take falls and you seem to take your fair share, so one could argue that your doing something right. Other than getting hurt in the process of course.Unimpressed

notapplicable

Mar 22, 2010, 8:32 PM
Post #5469 of 45342 (7924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:

I Meat Bomb'd the Noobz.

Oh well.
But otherwise Im fine.
Tim is looking past me.
I turn around.

A lot of people aren't really willing to take falls and you seem to take your fair share, so one could argue that your doing something right. Other than getting hurt in the process of course.Unimpressed

Seriously though, I respect your willingness to go for it, fall and then get right back on. Especially on the slab!

kachoong

Mar 22, 2010, 8:32 PM
Post #5470 of 45342 (7923 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:

I Meat Bomb'd the Noobz.

Oh well.
But otherwise Im fine.
Tim is looking past me.
I turn around.

Miffed could be pissed if your mouth was full of marshmallows.

kachoong

Mar 22, 2010, 8:33 PM
Post #5471 of 45342 (7922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:

I Meat Bomb'd the Noobz.

Oh well.
But otherwise Im fine.
Tim is looking past me.
I turn around.

Seriously though, I respect your willingness to go for it, fall and then get right back on. Especially on the slab!

Ditto!

notapplicable

Mar 22, 2010, 8:36 PM
Post #5472 of 45342 (7921 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
If you guys can't tell, I don't have to work today and no can go climbing.

I is bored.

Actually.... I couldn't tell. Cool

Ha! Mock my pain all you want, I'm going to get a massage in 30 min.

Suckers!

kachoong

Mar 22, 2010, 8:47 PM
Post #5473 of 45342 (7916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love the tech tips on this website... makes me laugh every time.

The Willy Stick site.

donald949

Mar 22, 2010, 9:39 PM
Post #5474 of 45342 (7904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:

I Meat Bomb'd the Noobz.

Oh well.
But otherwise Im fine.
Tim is looking past me.
I turn around.

Other than the ankle, thats pretty funny. It's great to see all heads turn when somebody takes a good fall.

I didn't take any terror inducers like that but a few falls did happen yesterday. I was climbing with the new guy and two weeks ago was the first time he had lead a route or belayed a lead, so this time round I took a fall so he could catch one and then he took two falls to get a feel for it. He seemed to dig it actually, which is a good sign.

Yes, other than the ankle it was pretty funny.

I've occasionally thought about taking practice leader falls. Say at an anchor, rather than a single piece.
What do you do to set up practice falls?
It would be good if I had some instinct when falling. Most of mine have not turned out well.

donald949

Mar 22, 2010, 10:09 PM
Post #5475 of 45342 (7899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:

I Meat Bomb'd the Noobz.

Oh well.
But otherwise Im fine.
Tim is looking past me.
I turn around.

Well I don't know what was wrong with my climb this time. I felt the feet start to go, and the hands were not good. I was in the zone, focused on the rock, my head was where I wanted it to be. But the move to the next foothold didn't make it. The feet should have been able to stay on the footholds, balance/pressure on the feet must have been off.
Anyrate, I knew where the fall was, so the second go I did something different, apparently, and moved through smartly. Figured out the moves I guess.
Anyrate, this fall was not as bad as last years. Where I twisted my ankle, but really wrenched my knee. But was not too too bad, Thank God, as it healed I got back out in June.

First page Previous page 1 ... 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 ... 1814 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook