Forums: Community: Campground:
Sty's Post Count Increaser
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 ... 1814 Next page Last page  View All

Gmburns2000

Mar 26, 2010, 3:47 PM
Post #5576 of 45342 (7974 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey guys,

I updated the look of the blog. if you get a moment, can you check it out and let me know what you think?

thanks.

http://gregsclimbingblog.blogspot.com/

notapplicable

Mar 26, 2010, 4:38 PM
Post #5577 of 45342 (7971 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lazlo] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Lazlo wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
that sucks. have you heard back from the cops yet?

Yeah Unsure I got a very low score on my interview.

Laz fails psych profile?

Hmmmm, very interesting...

Passed the psyche. Just not my panel interview.

Ah. Well, some folks just don't interview well (I'm one of them) so if you felt good about the rest of the process, I wouldn't let that one element deter you from trying again. If it's something you really want to do that is. It seems like you're having fun and making money guiding on the side and the patrol job might make that harder due to a more rigid schedule.

notapplicable

Mar 26, 2010, 4:39 PM
Post #5578 of 45342 (7970 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:
Lazlo wrote:

Kind of creepee

Accuracy^

notapplicable

Mar 26, 2010, 4:45 PM
Post #5579 of 45342 (7969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Also, had a little miss hap.

I Meat Bomb'd the Noobz.

We get to the Big Rock, and its only the 2nd nice weekend since jan 1st, and the parking lot is full.
Oh well.
Hoping to work some stuff on the left, but its all roped up. I squizze in between two groups on the right and rope up.
Climb past the first bolt, standing on a couple slopers, hands on slopers, and feet are sliding. I don't think the route is all that hard, maybe an 8, with the crux being where I'm at. But still. Quick dessicion move up to the good 3/4" edge, and clip the second bolt before I slide off. I don't make the edge.
Peel and fall. Tim locks up catchs me no problem. Right ankle must have gotten twisted on the way down, as its tender. Right hand has a blister, yes the joys of slab.
But otherwise Im fine.
Tim is looking past me.
I turn around.
The young ladies from the local U are out climbing with their class. Shocked
Their eyes were that big.
they were right behind me.
And I just meat bombed them. Laugh

Other than the ankle, thats pretty funny. It's great to see all heads turn when somebody takes a good fall.

I didn't take any terror inducers like that but a few falls did happen yesterday. I was climbing with the new guy and two weeks ago was the first time he had lead a route or belayed a lead, so this time round I took a fall so he could catch one and then he took two falls to get a feel for it. He seemed to dig it actually, which is a good sign.

Yes, other than the ankle it was pretty funny.

I've occasionally thought about taking practice leader falls. Say at an anchor, rather than a single piece.
What do you do to set up practice falls?
It would be good if I had some instinct when falling. Most of mine have not turned out well.

I've taken all of my practice falls in a gym, usually at least three bolts up.

I did tell Jen to take a practice fall once because she was petrified of what was above her. It was on a bolt and there was another bolt below that (plenty of distance if the top bolt busted). It worked and she sent pretty well.

I'm not sure I'd ever take a practice fall on gear, though. Too many variable that could go wrong.

Just remember, be a cat: bent arms and knees, go with the fall, and let your bendable limbs absorb the fall rather than be stiff and try to fight it.

I'm not real big in to practice falls but if taking or catching them will make a person feel more at ease, I'll help em out. A person concerned with and distracted by something as elementary (to climbing) as falling is a dangerous person to tie in with IMO.

I think the fear of falling is anything but elementary for some people. There have been times when I've been OK with it, and there have been times when I've been petrified...in a gym.

Sorry, I think my phrasing was poorly chosen. By "elementary", I meant fundamental or integral to the activity itself, in a sense unavoidable. That being the case, I think a person for whom falling is both a concern and an unknown us likely to be unduly distracted by the impending event so in such a case, I'd rather address it in a timely fashion.

I wasn't trying to be dismissive of a persons fears. Falling can be spooky man, you'll get no argument from me on that.

ah, I see. sorry about that. come to think of it, I don't often get distracted by falling. sometimes the fear does prevent me from making a move, but it rarely distracts me to the point of not thinking of anything else.

Thats good. Some folks get crazy tunnel vision when it comes to falling and it throws them WAY off their game. And ironically enough, makes them more likely to fall.

I can feel the fear taking control sometimes and it causes me to overlook better gear placements higher up or off to the side and my technique starts slipping. I don't really remember what it was like when I first started climbing but I would imagine that not know exactly what to expect from a fall would just make things even worse.

notapplicable

Mar 26, 2010, 4:48 PM
Post #5580 of 45342 (7968 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
Lazlo wrote:
Next weekend, I'm STILL going to be working.

But at least I'm going to be guiding. We're doing a four day rock climbing trip. The bonus part is that we'll be staying in a hotel for a change. No bivy bags!

Nice... hotels and climbing work great together... we did that for the second half of our Vegas trip last year. Five star room... dirty climbing... back to five star room... repeat... mmmmmm

That is one minor upside to my current job. I'm racking up points at various hotel chains so I should be able to spend less time in tents when I'm there to focus on the climbing.

notapplicable

Mar 26, 2010, 4:49 PM
Post #5581 of 45342 (7967 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
alright, which one of you numbnuts have done epinephrine and what the hell do I need to know besides "it's long."

Sorry never have, never will, not really interested.
We have a drug screen program at work. I'm sure you could figure out why. And getting canned for drugs doesn't look good on the resume. And I have a wife a 3 young kids at home I have to feed, dress and provide with a nice home. So I will have to pass. I know writers sometimes get into that type of stuff. I myself prefer a clear head, although the occasional buzz at night from some wine, when the kids are asleep, the wife is relaxed, is good too.

heh

notapplicable

Mar 26, 2010, 4:51 PM
Post #5582 of 45342 (7966 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
alright, which one of you numbnuts have done epinephrine and what the hell do I need to know besides "it's long."

We have a drug screen program at work. I'm sure you could figure out why. And getting canned for drugs doesn't look good on the resume. And I have a wife a 3 young kids at home I have to feed, dress and provide with a nice home. So I will have to pass. I know writers sometimes get into that type of stuff. I myself prefer a clear head, although the occasional buzz at night from some wine, when the kids are asleep, the wife is relaxed, is good too.

HA.

HA.

HA.

BA

BA

BA

Barbaran?

notapplicable

Mar 26, 2010, 4:52 PM
Post #5583 of 45342 (7965 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
got a good summerical outline (yes, that's a summary to the outline) done today. then I wrote the first draft of my query letter and sent that off for review.

next stop, either the next chapter or the outline itself. I'm hoping to get feedback from a friend on chapters two and three soon so that I can send the first three chapters and the query letter to an agent. it'd be nice to work on those two chapters while I futz around trying to figure out the transition from chapter four to chapter five. I know what chapter five is, but it'd be awkward at this point if I just jumped to that scene.

Good job on transitioning from "work" to writing. Sounds like you're keeping the pressure on and not just relaxing, goofing, doing whatever. I'm afraid I'd be really inclined to do the later.

I know, right.

notapplicable

Mar 26, 2010, 4:58 PM
Post #5584 of 45342 (7963 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sooooooooooo, I broke down outside of Wytheville, Va. Way down in the southwest corner.

So far it's been a big PITA and may cause me to miss my climbing plans for Saturday. If it's just the fuel filter like everyone thinks (Diesel engine), I should be out of here shortly. If it turns out to be something else, I have to find a rental car and try to get home before it's too late to turn right around and head back to the mountains.

Like I said. PITA.

notapplicable

Mar 26, 2010, 4:59 PM
Post #5585 of 45342 (7962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
Sooooooooooo, I broke down outside of Wytheville, Va. Way down in the southwest corner.

So far it's been a big PITA and may cause me to miss my climbing plans for Saturday. If it's just the fuel filter like everyone thinks (Diesel engine), I should be out of here shortly. If it turns out to be something else, I have to find a rental car and try to get home before it's too late to turn right around and head back to the mountains.

Like I said. PITA.

Oh and all of this actually happened yesterday evening but this being BFE and all, I wasn't able to get anybody to look at it until now.

kachoong

Mar 26, 2010, 5:12 PM
Post #5586 of 45342 (7960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:

Like I said. PITA.

Sucks!

So much for that 24 hours, eh?

Gmburns2000

Mar 26, 2010, 5:30 PM
Post #5587 of 45342 (7945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:

I Meat Bomb'd the Noobz.

We get to the Big Rock, and its only the 2nd nice weekend since jan 1st, and the parking lot is full.
Oh well.
Hoping to work some stuff on the left, but its all roped up. I squizze in between two groups on the right and rope up.
Climb past the first bolt, standing on a couple slopers, hands on slopers, and feet are sliding. I don't think the route is all that hard, maybe an 8, with the crux being where I'm at. But still. Quick dessicion move up to the good 3/4" edge, and clip the second bolt before I slide off. I don't make the edge.
Peel and fall. Tim locks up catchs me no problem. Right ankle must have gotten twisted on the way down, as its tender. Right hand has a blister, yes the joys of slab.
But otherwise Im fine.
Tim is looking past me.
I turn around.

Other than the ankle, thats pretty funny. It's great to see all heads turn when somebody takes a good fall.

I didn't take any terror inducers like that but a few falls did happen yesterday. I was climbing with the new guy and two weeks ago was the first time he had lead a route or belayed a lead, so this time round I took a fall so he could catch one and then he took two falls to get a feel for it. He seemed to dig it actually, which is a good sign.

I've occasionally thought about taking practice leader falls. Say at an anchor, rather than a single piece.
It would be good if I had some instinct when falling. Most of mine have not turned out well.

I did tell Jen to take a practice fall once because she was petrified of what was above her. It was on a bolt and there was another bolt below that (plenty of distance if the top bolt busted). It worked and she sent pretty well.

I'm not sure I'd ever take a practice fall on gear, though. Too many variable that could go wrong.

Just remember, be a cat: bent arms and knees, go with the fall, and let your bendable limbs absorb the fall rather than be stiff and try to fight it.

I'm not real big in to practice falls but if taking or catching them will make a person feel more at ease, I'll help em out. A person concerned with and distracted by something as elementary (to climbing) as falling is a dangerous person to tie in with IMO.

I think the fear of falling is anything but elementary for some people. There have been times when I've been OK with it, and there have been times when I've been petrified...in a gym.

Sorry, I think my phrasing was poorly chosen. By "elementary", I meant fundamental or integral to the activity itself, in a sense unavoidable. That being the case, I think a person for whom falling is both a concern and an unknown us likely to be unduly distracted by the impending event so in such a case, I'd rather address it in a timely fashion.

I wasn't trying to be dismissive of a persons fears. Falling can be spooky man, you'll get no argument from me on that.

ah, I see. sorry about that. come to think of it, I don't often get distracted by falling. sometimes the fear does prevent me from making a move, but it rarely distracts me to the point of not thinking of anything else.

Thats good. Some folks get crazy tunnel vision when it comes to falling and it throws them WAY off their game. And ironically enough, makes them more likely to fall.

I can feel the fear taking control sometimes and it causes me to overlook better gear placements higher up or off to the side and my technique starts slipping. I don't really remember what it was like when I first started climbing but I would imagine that not know exactly what to expect from a fall would just make things even worse.

throw in the fact that when I'm in a position where I'm likely to fall, it means i'm usually pumped and that means...run it out to safer ground. not exactly the better solution. Crazy

notapplicable

Mar 26, 2010, 6:46 PM
Post #5588 of 45342 (7941 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

Like I said. PITA.

Sucks!

So much for that 24 hours, eh?

Good news, it's just the fuel filter. Should be out of here in a bit.

Now if only it would stop raining...

notapplicable

Mar 26, 2010, 6:49 PM
Post #5589 of 45342 (7940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:

I Meat Bomb'd the Noobz.

Oh well.
But otherwise Im fine.
Tim is looking past me.
I turn around.

throw in the fact that when I'm in a position where I'm likely to fall, it means i'm usually pumped and that means...run it out to safer ground. not exactly the better solution. Crazy

Damn dube, I usually downclimb. There always is that point of no return though, where if you downclimb, all you are doing is getting closer to your last piece before you fall but up could actually mean NOT bombing down off the side of the cliff. Sketchy that.

zeke_sf

Mar 26, 2010, 9:42 PM
Post #5590 of 45342 (7932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:

I Meat Bomb'd the Noobz.

Oh well.
But otherwise Im fine.
Tim is looking past me.
I turn around.

Damn dube, I usually downclimb. There always is that point of no return though, where if you downclimb, all you are doing is getting closer to your last piece before you fall but up could actually mean NOT bombing down off the side of the cliff. Sketchy that.

I can only think of one time I was attempting to downclimb and then fell. I guess I run it out to safer ground? Fortunately, I've always been able to hold it together when I must not fall.

Yesterday was a big day of falls. I logged some good feet, probably taking a 15 footer three times. But it was only a sport climb. I probably should have been taking bigger falls but my belayer refuses to do a dynamic belay and he outweighs me by a good bit.

Gmburns2000

Mar 27, 2010, 4:27 PM
Post #5591 of 45342 (7927 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

I can only think of one time I was attempting to downclimb and then fell. I guess I run it out to safer ground? Fortunately, I've always been able to hold it together when I must not fall.

Yesterday was a big day of falls. I logged some good feet, probably taking a 15 footer three times. But it was only a sport climb. I probably should have been taking bigger falls but my belayer refuses to do a dynamic belay and he outweighs me by a good bit.

Damn, that sucks. I'm not sure I'd want to take such large falls over and over again without some sort of soft catch. Once or twice is enough for me.

Usually when I run it out it is because downclimbing is likely harder than going up. I have fallen on a downclimb before, too.

Lazlo

Mar 28, 2010, 12:49 AM
Post #5592 of 45342 (7925 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello from the Hotel room. Yeah, I'm rubbing it in.

zeke_sf

Mar 28, 2010, 2:52 AM
Post #5593 of 45342 (7923 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

Damn, that sucks. I'm not sure I'd want to take such large falls over and over again without some sort of soft catch. Once or twice is enough for me.

Usually when I run it out it is because downclimbing is likely harder than going up. I have fallen on a downclimb before, too.

The fall wasn't too bad, but it could have been softer. Granted, the falls were pushing the point where I was getting a wee close to the ground. It was a weak day on a bold-ish climb.

zeke_sf

Mar 28, 2010, 2:52 AM
Post #5594 of 45342 (7921 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:

The lotion? I really don't need to hear these personal details.

Gmburns2000

Mar 28, 2010, 10:31 AM
Post #5595 of 45342 (7916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:

I'll be in one in two weeks myself, though I won't be bringing my computer - it's vegas, and I hear there are desperate people there.

donald949

Mar 29, 2010, 5:22 PM
Post #5596 of 45342 (7906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
kachoong wrote:
Lazlo wrote:
Next weekend, I'm STILL going to be working.

But at least I'm going to be guiding. We're doing a four day rock climbing trip. The bonus part is that we'll be staying in a hotel for a change. No bivy bags!

Nice... hotels and climbing work great together... we did that for the second half of our Vegas trip last year. Five star room... dirty climbing... back to five star room... repeat... mmmmmm

That is one minor upside to my current job. I'm racking up points at various hotel chains so I should be able to spend less time in tents when I'm there to focus on the climbing.

hey, sweet deal.

donald949

Mar 29, 2010, 5:23 PM
Post #5597 of 45342 (7906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

HA.

HA.

HA.

BA

BA

BA

Barbaran?
Very good.
Jaa.

donald949

Mar 29, 2010, 5:27 PM
Post #5598 of 45342 (7904 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:
Lazlo wrote:

The lotion? I really don't need to hear these personal details.

Ohhhhh...Crazy
did need that visual.

donald949

Mar 29, 2010, 5:28 PM
Post #5599 of 45342 (7902 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey

donald949

Mar 29, 2010, 5:29 PM
Post #5600 of 45342 (7900 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

its time...

First page Previous page 1 ... 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 ... 1814 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook