Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

bill_in_tokyo

Mar 29, 2010, 9:10 AM
Post #26 of 33 (717 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Climbing in Asia [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've had the same thought. I have to admit I'm not as widely travelled as you are, but that just means you can introduce me to cool new places. All I have to do is get travel dispensation from my family (who usually ration me to one major overseas trip per year).

Do you get up to the Tokyo area at all? I keep reading about your travels with envy, but I haven't heard Japan mentioned in a while.

I just got back from a few days in Thailand, but it was family on the beach time for my girls' spring break. Lots of snorkeling and other fun, but no rock at all. Sigh.

stonethecrows

Mar 29, 2010, 9:30 AM
Post #27 of 33 (717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This seems like the info most people are looking for when coming to Asia. The place seems to be a communication black hole when it comes to reliable and up to date climbing information. If you're headed to Korea, a rack is useful there. Loads of long granite routes. Many climbers compare it to Squamish. I'm headed there in September, 80% chance at least.

Cheers guangzhou,
Long granite routes sound great, I'm excited about climbing in Korea. I'll be there from mid September. If you go, which area are you likely to visit? I'll get in contact with you later in the year to see if your trip's going ahead.
Bri

(This post was edited by stonethecrows on Mar 29, 2010, 9:41 AM)

stonethecrows

Mar 29, 2010, 10:45 AM
Post #28 of 33 (712 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill_in_tokyo] Climbing in Asia [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill_in_tokyo wrote:
Drop me a note for possible partnership for the Tokyo-area component of the Japan leg (by which I mean Ogawayama and Joyama (where I climb frequently), as well as Umikungo (with which I'm unfamiliar)).

I mostly only have weekends free, due to work; and may be travelling during my kids' summer holidays for part of your planned stay. I've also been going through a somewhat injury-prone phase over the last few months. Nonetheless, I'm usually keen to get out. (And I'm generally a two weeknights-per-week gymrat here in Tokyo, as well, if you spend any time in town.)

(By the way, Joyama is generally blazing hot in the summer, even in the upper gorges. Plan on it for the later section of your visit, if at all. Or allocate the time to Ogawayama, where conditions are likely to be better.)

- Bill

Hi Bill,
Your name popped up during a search I did of Japan on this site many moons ago. I remember you being willing to share a rope with others coming to the country. I'd love to create a partnership with you for climbing in the tokyo area on weekends. A trip down to Umikungo would be fantastic too.

I'm staying with a non-climbing friend in Akita for a couple of weeks when I first get there (start of July). I'll head straight to Ogawayama after that, looks like plenty of interesting stuff there. I make my way down to Fukuoka for a ferry at the start or mid way through Sept. I don't know any place's on the way south worth stopping for a climb. So, will probably be keen to hang around tokyo and climb for a while.

When are the summer holidays over there?

Thanks for the heads up about Joyama. Might have to miss it if it's too hot. What's the climbing like at Jogasaki? Worth going to this time of year? Is it a decent climbing destination?

Thanks, Bri

1up

Mar 29, 2010, 11:30 AM
Post #29 of 33 (710 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stonethecrows] Climbing in Asia [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the season for jogasaki is already over. the rock is a very dark color which turns the entire horseshoe shape of the crag into a solar panel. Ogawayama and Miizugaki are going to be your best bets at that time of year as they are both at elevation 1500 meters if memory serves me right.

guangzhou

Mar 30, 2010, 12:48 AM
Post #30 of 33 (701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bill_in_tokyo wrote:
I've had the same thought. I have to admit I'm not as widely travelled as you are, but that just means you can introduce me to cool new places. All I have to do is get travel dispensation from my family (who usually ration me to one major overseas trip per year).

Do you get up to the Tokyo area at all? I keep reading about your travels with envy, but I haven't heard Japan mentioned in a while.

I just got back from a few days in Thailand, but it was family on the beach time for my girls' spring break. Lots of snorkeling and other fun, but no rock at all. Sigh.

I'm pretty lucky, I found a carreer that allows me to live almost anywhere, pays well, and has vacation time too. With the exception of Japan, traveling around Asia is fairly cheap.

I don't see Tokyo on the horizon, but you never know. I am putting the finishing touches on the Okinawa guide and might do a trip there in September. Climbing and photography, but I can go other places for much cheaper.

This summer I am in California, climbing Lake Tahoe area.

September is undecided: Korea, Chaing Mai, Krabi, Taiwan all have a chance, so does Okinawa but Japan is not cheap to get into.

December is three weeks in the Blue Mountains Down Under and not sure where I'll go next Spring Break yet. Next Summer is Europe unless I change countries with a new school.

Eman

bill_in_tokyo

Mar 31, 2010, 9:01 AM
Post #31 of 33 (688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou: Damn, man. You must have accumulated some pretty good karma in a past life! As for the cost of any kind of travel to/from Japan - tell me about it. My bank account is bleeding. Anyway, maybe we'll meet up one of these days in some other spot - I've been dedicating a fairly high percentage of my road trips to Australia lately, but who knows...

1up: Yup, you're pretty much right about the Jogasaki season - although some folks are still heading down there. I didn't make it even once this winter - missed pretty much the entire winter season with illness and injury - blah.

stonethecrows: Keep in touch! Maybe I can meet you in Ogawayama, or maybe we can figure something else out. There is outdoor Tokyo daytrip stuff that's doable during the summer, but everything is pretty damn hot and humid. You can contact me direct at tokyobill123 at hotmail dot com.

- Bill

stonethecrows

Jul 5, 2010, 3:39 AM
Post #32 of 33 (592 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool Hello everyone,
Some advice would be great. I fly to Nagoya, Japan tomorrow (6th of July). Anyone in town want to get out climbing? I think I'll visit a climbing gym when I get there to meet climbers for outdoor trips. Otherwise, I'll make my way to Ogawayama and maybe there camping from this weekend on. Is it to hot to climb around Nagoya at the moment? Should I head straight to Ogawayama? Any climbers heading that way from Nagoya?

Hey Bill I'll send you a personal message. I hope to catch up with you for a climb.

Bri

(This post was edited by stonethecrows on Jul 5, 2010, 4:11 AM)

stonethecrows

Jul 5, 2010, 4:15 AM
Post #33 of 33 (577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Eman,

December is hot in the Bluies hey!! Make sure you chase the shade. Some cool canyoning for rest days is nice.
Do you have any solid plans for Sept. yet?

Bri

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook