Forums: Community: Campground:
Sty's Post Count Increaser
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 ... 1814 Next page Last page  View All

sungam

Apr 21, 2010, 8:01 PM
Post #5851 of 45342 (8864 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
New post is up: Preparing for Epinephrine.

Still writing the Epi post. I had it mostly written but wasn't happy with it. Then some poor climbing days made me want to change the whole thing. give me a couple of weeks.

I can't wait to hear about how you did on Epi, especially because we both, apparently, suck at chimneys. I am so bad at them that it is not even funny.

Actually, that is pretty funny.

I am okay with chimneys. I have never done an extended, unprotectable one though, so that may explain why.

My excuse is that I am too tall, but it is a poor one because people are good at all sizes of chimneys.
There is this 5.7 at Rumbling Bald called Froot Loops that features a second pitch chimney. I climbed it by climbing the 20 degree overhanging finger crack on the steep wall and then resting with my back when I got tired. It was super hard for me, and when I got to the top I ended doing these roof type moves on this chockstone that were basically equivalent to climbing a full body length roof. My partners did not understand why I was having so much trouble.
HOLY SHIT I DID EXACTLY THE SAME THING ON THAT EXACT SAME ROUTE!!!!!!

Really? REALLY? REALLY? orly?

Then our damn rope got caught on the reppel. We were like "wtf - stuck rope benightment on a two pitch route? FFS". Gud times. Fun route, too!

johnwesely

Apr 21, 2010, 8:03 PM
Post #5852 of 45342 (8863 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Still writing the Epi post. I had it mostly written but wasn't happy with it. Then some poor climbing days made me want to change the whole thing. give me a couple of weeks.

I can't wait to hear about how you did on Epi, especially because we both, apparently, suck at chimneys. I am so bad at them that it is not even funny.

I am okay with chimneys. I have never done an extended, unprotectable one though, so that may explain why.

My excuse is that I am too tall, but it is a poor one because people are good at all sizes of chimneys.
There is this 5.7 at Rumbling Bald called Froot Loops that features a second pitch chimney. I climbed it by climbing the 20 degree overhanging finger crack on the steep wall and then resting with my back when I got tired. It was super hard for me, and when I got to the top I ended doing these roof type moves on this chockstone that were basically equivalent to climbing a full body length roof. My partners did not understand why I was having so much trouble.

[image]http://files.myopera.com/drlaunch/albums/37656/ya-rly001.jpg[/image]
Then our damn rope got caught on the reppel. We were like "wtf - stuck rope benightment on a two pitch route? FFS". Gud times. Fun route, too!

Did you do the Frosted Flake too? It is out of this world good. It is not fair to other cliffs that the Cereal Buttress has such a concentration of uber classics.

zeke_sf

Apr 21, 2010, 8:07 PM
Post #5853 of 45342 (8861 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Uh, sounds like you did Froot Loops direct or something. What you are doing is equivalent to gastoning a hand crack. Wait. You gaston hand cracks, don't you?

As an aside, I had a buddy who was fixated on doing "old school" moderates. We go do Royal Arches in Yosemite, which starts with a 5.7 chimney. I lead up, establish the anchor. When he arrives he's huffing and puffing, turns to me and says, "If the rest of this route is like this, it fucking sucks!" I just laughed and told him if he didn't like that, good luck on his tick list. Those old routes are silly with chimneys.

johnwesely

Apr 21, 2010, 8:09 PM
Post #5854 of 45342 (8858 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Uh, sounds like you did Froot Loops direct or something. What you are doing is equivalent to gastoning a hand crack. Wait. You gaston hand cracks, don't you?

As an aside, I had a buddy who was fixated on doing "old school" moderates. We go do Royal Arches in Yosemite, which starts with a 5.7 chimney. I lead up, establish the anchor. When he arrives he's huffing and puffing, turns to me and says, "If the rest of this route is like this, it fucking sucks!" I just laughed and told him if he didn't like that, good luck on his tick list. Those old routes are silly with chimneys.

I feel like it is a skill that will hopefully click someday. Every time I think it does, I am rudely returned to reality.

Lazlo

Apr 21, 2010, 9:32 PM
Post #5855 of 45342 (8852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

I feel like it is a skill that will hopefully click someday. Every time I think it does, I am rudely returned to reality.

Weird. I seem really relaxed in chimneys. They're really the only type of route I'm willing to solo.

sungam

Apr 21, 2010, 11:24 PM
Post #5856 of 45342 (8844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

[image]http://files.myopera.com/drlaunch/albums/37656/ya-rly001.jpg[/image]

Did you do the Frosted Flake too? It is out of this world good. It is not fair to other cliffs that the Cereal Buttress has such a concentration of uber classics.
Nope, we climbed way over on the left, some cool routes, then jumped on fruit loops as our last root. Rumbling Bald was well nice, I hope to go back there some time. Corn Flake and Shredded Wheat (that's the finger crack, right?) looked awesome. Especially shredded wheat, holy shit! What a splitter.

sungam

Apr 21, 2010, 11:31 PM
Post #5857 of 45342 (8843 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Hehehe. Nice won. Poor sap.

sungam

Apr 21, 2010, 11:32 PM
Post #5858 of 45342 (8843 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lazlo] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Weird. I seem really relaxed in chimneys. They're really the only type of route I'm willing to solo.
For me it depends on the shape/size of the chimney. Fruit loops was just awkward as hell. Stolen Chimney was just fucking terrifying, and the chimney on river tower was just loose as hell.
Now that I think about it, I've never found a chimney that's the right shape or size...

johnwesely

Apr 21, 2010, 11:38 PM
Post #5859 of 45342 (8842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Nope, we climbed way over on the left, some cool routes, then jumped on fruit loops as our last root. Rumbling Bald was well nice, I hope to go back there some time. Corn Flake and Shredded Wheat (that's the finger crack, right?) looked awesome. Especially shredded wheat, holy shit! What a splitter.

Shredded Wheat is super great. Caveat, I have only top roped it. It starts off as perfect fingers, then you get a rest at the small roof. After that, it is thin tips with no feet to an almost no hands rest. Then is the crux, a crazy throw off tiny tips to a mono pocket followed by easier climbing to the top. I can't wait to get back for the lead, but it is looking like it will have to wait till next winter because it is out of season now.

If you get back there, you need to get on Frosted Flake though. The Crux layback is strenuous and the gear gets below your feet real quick. You feel awesome after you nail the crux though. Total stud.

sungam

Apr 22, 2010, 12:06 AM
Post #5860 of 45342 (8840 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:

Shredded Wheat is super great. Caveat, I have only top roped it. It starts off as perfect fingers, then you get a rest at the small roof. After that, it is thin tips with no feet to an almost no hands rest. Then is the crux, a crazy throw off tiny tips to a mono pocket followed by easier climbing to the top. I can't wait to get back for the lead, but it is looking like it will have to wait till next winter because it is out of season now.

If you get back there, you need to get on Frosted Flake though. The Crux layback is strenuous and the gear gets below your feet real quick. You feel awesome after you nail the crux though. Total stud.
Frosted Flake (not cornflakes, that was in Squamish!) looked awesome, but fairly scary - or maybe I'm thinking of the direct version.

johnwesely

Apr 22, 2010, 12:17 AM
Post #5861 of 45342 (8839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:

Frosted Flake (not cornflakes, that was in Squamish!) looked awesome, but fairly scary - or maybe I'm thinking of the direct version.

I am not sure if people do a direct version but it probably would not be terrible. 30 or 35 feet of 8ish runout until the first piece, but it is fairly featured rock. The real route follows the crack from the ground. The crux lieback is technically protectable with 2 and 3 inch cams, but you would be placing blind pro during the most insecure and strenuous part of the route. I believe that most people just run it out.

caughtinside

Apr 22, 2010, 12:24 AM
Post #5862 of 45342 (8837 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Lazlo wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

For me it depends on the shape/size of the chimney. Fruit loops was just awkward as hell. Stolen Chimney was just fucking terrifying, and the chimney on river tower was just loose as hell.
Now that I think about it, I've never found a chimney that's the right shape or size...

Stolen chimney was terrifying? That thing is casual!

Lazlo

Apr 22, 2010, 1:01 PM
Post #5863 of 45342 (8833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Lazlo wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

I've probably climbed 5 chimneys, if my memory serves me right. Two of them were roped. They all seemed pretty easy.

They were everything from squeezes to hip-heel

Lazlo

Apr 22, 2010, 1:02 PM
Post #5864 of 45342 (8832 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lazlo] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:
sungam wrote:
Lazlo wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

I've probably climbed 5 chimneys, if my memory serves me right. Two of them were roped. They all seemed pretty easy.

They were everything from squeezes to hip-heel

Oh, and I downclimbed one of the squeezes because I thought there was a walk off, and there was not.

sungam

Apr 22, 2010, 6:01 PM
Post #5865 of 45342 (8825 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
sungam wrote:
Lazlo wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Stolen chimney was terrifying? That thing is casual!
Right then, it's decided. I'm shit as fuck at chimneys. I though that thing was ball shreddingly awkward and just a shitshow. Fun rowt, though.

sungam

Apr 22, 2010, 6:02 PM
Post #5866 of 45342 (8825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:

I am not sure if people do a direct version but it probably would not be terrible. 30 or 35 feet of 8ish runout until the first piece, but it is fairly featured rock. The real route follows the crack from the ground. The crux lieback is technically protectable with 2 and 3 inch cams, but you would be placing blind pro during the most insecure and strenuous part of the route. I believe that most people just run it out.
I meant just to the right of the proper flake there's a wee flared crack thing that looks pantshitzing.

johnwesely

Apr 22, 2010, 6:05 PM
Post #5867 of 45342 (8824 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
I meant just to the right of the proper flake there's a wee flared crack thing that looks pantshitzing.

Whiskey for Breakfast?

sungam

Apr 22, 2010, 7:42 PM
Post #5868 of 45342 (8821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:

Whiskey for Breakfast?
Dunno, CBA lookin' it up, either.

johnwesely

Apr 22, 2010, 7:43 PM
Post #5869 of 45342 (8820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:

Whiskey for Breakfast?
Dunno, CBA lookin' it up, either.

Whiskey for Breakfast it is then!

johnwesely

Apr 22, 2010, 7:44 PM
Post #5870 of 45342 (8819 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dear Magnus,
Why is it that I want to post whore the most when I should be post whoring the least? I figured you were an expert.

Regard,

John Wesely

sungam

Apr 22, 2010, 9:57 PM
Post #5871 of 45342 (8815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
Dear Magnus,
Why is it that I want to post whore the most when I should be post whoring the least? I figured you were an expert.

Regard,

John Wesely
My Dearest John,
randomize your password! GET THE FUCK OUT NOW, WHILE YOU CAN! RUN! DON'T LOOK BACK! this place is a soul sucking crack hit that keeps sucking you back for more.
My best advice is to stop giving a shit about the PC - your existence in this shit-hole is more affirmed by your giving of sound advice, discussion of worthwhile routes, heartless plugs at John, Greg, and e-kop, and your ability to banter. Quality of quantity bro!!!!
Sincerely,
Yours forever,
Magnus

zeke_sf

Apr 22, 2010, 10:06 PM
Post #5872 of 45342 (8814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Dear Magnus,

Regard,

John Wesely
My Dearest John,
randomize your password! GET THE FUCK OUT NOW, WHILE YOU CAN! RUN! DON'T LOOK BACK! this place is a soul sucking crack hit that keeps sucking you back for more.
My best advice is to stop giving a shit about the PC - your existence in this shit-hole is more affirmed by your giving of sound advice, discussion of worthwhile routes, heartless plugs at John, Greg, and e-kop, and your ability to banter. Quality of quantity bro!!!!
Sincerely,
Yours forever,
Magnus

You two bromosapiens make me sick. Good thing I'm above this pc++ nonsense and can exercise a little impulse control. Hrumph.

sungam

Apr 22, 2010, 10:07 PM
Post #5873 of 45342 (8812 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Fuck I'm getting horrendous stomach cramps/the shits. This fucking sucks.
It's like "hmmm, I'm feeling better, maybe I'll do some revision - oh, wait. Nope, gotta go shit again"."Huh, maybe I'll practice some calculu - nope, gotta poop".
Exam in 3 days. this has been going on for 2. FML.

sungam

Apr 22, 2010, 10:07 PM
Post #5874 of 45342 (8812 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just got a book in the mail, though.
"Climbing: Expedition Planning".
Getting psyche - wait, BRB, gotta poop.

johnwesely

Apr 23, 2010, 12:06 AM
Post #5875 of 45342 (8808 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Dear Magnus,

Regard,

John Wesely
My Dearest John,
Sincerely,
Yours forever,
Magnus

Dearest Magnus,

I should be writing right this second. However, I will never randomize my password. I am just going to go on a 6 week detox when I am at the Gunks.

First page Previous page 1 ... 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 ... 1814 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook