Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

rk2000

Apr 24, 2010, 4:14 AM
Post #1 of 29 (9203 views)
Shortcut

big fat ski legs....
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok.. winter is over i am 20lbs heavier and can barely drag my ass up 5.10... its mostly muscle mass in my legs from skiing and i am wondering dose anyone have any tips for a muscle weight loss..
cheers

jbro_135

Apr 24, 2010, 5:22 AM
Post #2 of 29 (9178 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rk2000] big fat ski legs.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

don't use your legs so much? it will go away if you don't use it

fist

Apr 24, 2010, 5:32 AM
Post #3 of 29 (9175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Get a wheelchair for a few weeks. Muscle loss for the legs and a nice workout for the arms. It's a win-win situation.

shimanilami

Apr 24, 2010, 6:49 AM
Post #4 of 29 (9159 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

rk2000 wrote:
... i am 20lbs heavier ... its mostly muscle mass in my legs from skiing...

I call bullshit.

Grizvok

Apr 24, 2010, 4:15 PM
Post #5 of 29 (9121 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] big fat ski legs.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
rk2000 wrote:

I call bullshit.

Obviously. An added 20 lbs of "mostly muscle mass" in the leg area would make his legs look really really fucking massive.

Before and after pictures or you sir are a liar.

Or you just got fat.

jcrew

Apr 24, 2010, 4:48 PM
Post #6 of 29 (9107 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Grizvok] big fat ski legs.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Grizvok wrote:
shimanilami wrote:
rk2000 wrote:

I call bullshit.

Obviously. An added 20 lbs of "mostly muscle mass" in the leg area would make his legs look really really fucking massive.

Before and after pictures or you sir are a liar.

Or you just got fat.

if he was skiing bumps all year, his legs could get huge.

i agree with the wheelchair, a diet of only roadside sport cragging on overhanging rock, and making his girlfriend carry the pack from the house to the car.

sidepull

Apr 24, 2010, 6:36 PM
Post #7 of 29 (9061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

rk2000 wrote:
Ok.. winter is over i am 20lbs heavier and can barely drag my ass up 5.10... its mostly muscle mass in my legs from skiing and i am wondering dose anyone have any tips for a muscle weight loss..
cheers

So you gained 20 pounds of muscle in one season? Solution = stay of the roids, it will shrivel away.

rk2000

Apr 24, 2010, 6:39 PM
Post #8 of 29 (9061 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jcrew] big fat ski legs.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

yeah i am full of shit.... ... or rather full of leg muscle...
i like the suggestions though... i think ill go with crutches rather than the wheel chair... better work out for the arms....
i am just climbing like shit and need to blame something..... thanks for your support guys.....

the before an after pics are on the way.....

rubber_man

Apr 24, 2010, 9:13 PM
Post #9 of 29 (9029 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow you really took them seriously, talk about an unhealthy way to do it.

get your ass on a tredmill or go running, cardio will help with lean muslce

altelis

Apr 24, 2010, 11:15 PM
Post #10 of 29 (8999 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rubber_man] big fat ski legs.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rubber_man wrote:

I forgot that skiing isn't cardio, which is why he put on all that weight Unsure

rubber_man

Apr 25, 2010, 2:32 AM
Post #11 of 29 (8956 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] big fat ski legs.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
rubber_man wrote:

I forgot that skiing isn't cardio, which is why he put on all that weight Unsure

I didn't say skiing isn't cardio, its a work out, but you put on mass muscle where as carido tends to be more lean muscle. Like difference between heavy weight lifting and high rep intensity weight lifting.

altelis

Apr 25, 2010, 2:41 AM
Post #12 of 29 (8950 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rubber_man] big fat ski legs.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

rubber_man wrote:
altelis wrote:
rubber_man wrote:

I didn't say skiing isn't cardio, its a work out, but you put on mass muscle where as carido tends to be more lean muscle. Like difference between heavy weight lifting and high rep intensity weight lifting.

Until you recognize the contradiction in your thought process this is a waste of time...

rhei

Apr 25, 2010, 2:55 AM
Post #13 of 29 (8947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So, you're 20 lbs. heavier, your legs are bigger, and you feel like you're climbing is suffering.

You can lose weight from your lower body by adding some serious day hiking to your exercise program. Carry a light pack (extra clothes and water) and focus on higher mileage at a sustained, moderately intense level of output. That, in combination with a managed diet, should give you measureable weight loss where you want it.

That will make you a lighter climber. You'll still need to work on your technique.

hafilax

Apr 25, 2010, 3:41 AM
Post #14 of 29 (8929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just switch to a climbing training regimen. You'll get stronger with the extra mass and then benefit from it going away as your legs wither away to the twigs you desire.

I too have a hard time believing that skiing has bulked up your legs that much unless you're a professional racer that has done some serious time doing weighted squats. Can legs really bulk up to be huge with only body weight exercise?

altelis

Apr 26, 2010, 12:20 AM
Post #15 of 29 (8842 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] big fat ski legs.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
Just switch to a climbing training regimen. You'll get stronger with the extra mass and then benefit from it going away as your legs wither away to the twigs you desire.

I too have a hard time believing that skiing has bulked up your legs that much unless you're a professional racer that has done some serious time doing weighted squats. Can legs really bulk up to be huge with only body weight exercise?

Yea, thats what gets me too. I *may* be willing to believe there was a 20# gain *overall* by the end of a ski season. But NOT from just skiing. I'm talking a SKI SEASON. Like you raced and were training like and eating like a racer. Sure, then you'll put on bulk. But as a seasoned ski bum, and an associate of many more, I find it VERY hard to believe that skiing alone would put you up 20#s....

onceahardman

Apr 26, 2010, 12:35 AM
Post #16 of 29 (8834 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] big fat ski legs.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
hafilax wrote:

Yea, thats what gets me too. I *may* be willing to believe there was a 20# gain *overall* by the end of a ski season. But NOT from just skiing. I'm talking a SKI SEASON. Like you raced and were training like and eating like a racer. Sure, then you'll put on bulk. But as a seasoned ski bum, and an associate of many more, I find it VERY hard to believe that skiing alone would put you up 20#s....

I say it was the apres-skiing, rather than the skiing, that packed on 20 lbs.

The road to weight loss lies more at the refrigerator than at the gym...

altelis

Apr 26, 2010, 12:41 AM
Post #17 of 29 (8828 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] big fat ski legs.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
altelis wrote:
hafilax wrote:

Yep. I would definitely agree. This is why most ski bums I knew tended to actually lose weight.

I stayed about even, cause I bar tended at a nice restaurant. I figured out the win-win barter. I gave beer that I didn't pay for to the cooks who gave me food that they didn't pay for. Best form of commerce EVERCool

jomagam

Apr 26, 2010, 7:47 PM
Post #18 of 29 (8729 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So you got 3 basic advice:

1. Hours and hours of cardio using you legs
2. Stop using your legs
3. Maintaining an adequate protein and carbohydrate intake as suggested by Jay in http://www.rockclimbing.com/...rum.cgi?post=2319953

Good luck and let us know which works Laugh

dingus

Apr 26, 2010, 8:26 PM
Post #19 of 29 (8701 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] big fat ski legs.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
altelis wrote:
hafilax wrote:

The road to weight loss doesn't exit at the refrigerator.

DMT

sidepull

Apr 26, 2010, 8:54 PM
Post #20 of 29 (8685 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] big fat ski legs.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
onceahardman wrote:
altelis wrote:
hafilax wrote:

DMT

Kate Moss would have us believe that the road to weight loss begins with your finger entering your mouth, but I digress. Cool

jt512

Apr 26, 2010, 9:11 PM
Post #21 of 29 (8671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
onceahardman wrote:
altelis wrote:
hafilax wrote:

DMT

The road to weight loss merges with the highway of nutrition at the intersection of diet and lifestyle.

Should I write a book?

Jay

dingus

Apr 26, 2010, 9:17 PM
Post #22 of 29 (8664 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] big fat ski legs.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
dingus wrote:
onceahardman wrote:
altelis wrote:
hafilax wrote:

DMT

The road to weight loss merges with the highway of nutrition at the intersection of diet and lifestyle.

Should I write a book?

Jay

Yes but not like that!!!111

DMT

tomtom

Apr 27, 2010, 2:42 AM
Post #23 of 29 (8590 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
jt512 wrote:
dingus wrote:
onceahardman wrote:
altelis wrote:
hafilax wrote:

DMT

Should I write a book?

Jay

DMT

Chapter 1: Exercise More

Chapter 2: Eat Less

Done.

dingus

Apr 27, 2010, 3:54 AM
Post #24 of 29 (8545 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tomtom] big fat ski legs.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

tomtom wrote:
dingus wrote:
jt512 wrote:
dingus wrote:
onceahardman wrote:
altelis wrote:
hafilax wrote:

DMT

Should I write a book?

Jay

DMT

Chapter 1: Exercise More

Chapter 2: Eat Less

Done.

tomtom your name is redundant.

DMT

rockprodigy

May 10, 2010, 11:48 PM
Post #25 of 29 (8204 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stop your steroid regimen, that should do it.

People don't naturally gain and lose that much muscle that quickly, and riding around in a wheel chair might work for a while, but once you stop riding around in it, the muscle will come right back (and you'll be fatter than you were before).

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook