Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

hellbent

Dec 15, 2002, 5:37 PM
Post #26 of 34 (3291 views)
Shortcut

how to get strong [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well you got to realize that though climbing is a great strength building exercise it does not build certain muscles. For example your push muscles are not as developed as your pulling strength. I read that this muscle imbalance leads to cronic injuries. I find swimming, just fooling around with all the strokes a great alternate and break time workout for core strength and stamina.

[ This Message was edited by: hellbent on 2002-12-15 09:38 ]

marks

Dec 15, 2002, 7:39 PM
Post #27 of 34 (3291 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if certain muscles are not developed you must not need them so will only result in extra bulk.

overlord

Dec 15, 2002, 7:46 PM
Post #28 of 34 (3291 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

boulderin, capus/training board

tyraidbp

Dec 18, 2002, 4:32 PM
Post #29 of 34 (3291 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is in response to Marks. Muscles are supported by each other. If you have over-developed pull muscles and under-developed push muscles then the pull muscles cant get any stronger. The strain on the pull muscles places extra strain on the push muscles causing them to become injured. I dont know about everyone else here who reads the BOULDERING forum, but when I am bouldering I find that I need push muscles quite often.

People need to note that bouldering is a form of climbing that is harder(often much harder)moves closer together than climbing routes. This means that as a boulder you are placing a large amount of strain and usage on your body.

Its misconceptions such as the one that Marks has that creates a vast amount of injuries to boulderers across the world. Route climbers and boulderers are two different breeds.
I am not trying to come down on you personally Marks, but I would suggest that you do some research on the body and how it works. This will help you to become a stronger climber. Knowledge is king says somebody that I dont remember.

t-dog
Deleted

Jan 3, 2003, 2:30 AM
Post #30 of 34 (3291 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you think you don't need push muscles, then you haven't tried any strenuous stemming or horribly slopey mantles 15 feet off the ground. Then you'll be thankfull you did some push-ups and other push muscle exercises

sean34

Jan 3, 2003, 3:38 AM
Post #31 of 34 (3291 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how to get strong???

thats easy enough, lift big. keep your reps low 1-5 range. Focus on power lifting movements...deads, cleans, hang pulls, snatch, hang snatch. Heavy bent over rows with barbell are excellent for lats and grip strength. Youll have wings so if you cant climb it you could fly up:)

sound good?

Sean

galaxie

Jan 3, 2003, 7:41 PM
Post #32 of 34 (3291 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

every body what is your opinion on the weight factor? muscle weighs more than fat right, so would a person who has gone to the gym to lift stuff have more difficulty straring to climb than soeone who isn't that "fit"?

marknd

Jan 3, 2003, 8:22 PM
Post #33 of 34 (3291 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Everyone says climbing/bouldering works better than training. Here's why its true: As you get more comfortable being on the rock, you relax and you stop squeezing the $#!& out of every hold. Your forearms don't get so pumped, you have enough energy to finish the climb. I'm no pro but thats what I've found.

goingtohellquick

Jan 4, 2003, 4:55 AM
Post #34 of 34 (3291 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You dont want to do a lot of weight lifting cause then you also have more weight. Do PULLUPS!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook