Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
wapiti valley
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

reidg

Jul 20, 2010, 6:14 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1448 views)
Shortcut

wapiti valley  (North_America: Canada: British_Columbia: Vancouver_Island_North: Wapiti_Valley)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

im thinking about making the trip out there to climb the wapiti mainline but i heard the road got deactivated so you cant drive in anymore, is this true?

jro

Jul 22, 2010, 10:12 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1416 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reidg] wapiti valley [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was up the Nomash in August 2009. The bridge at Nathan Creek was washed out and closed to vehicles. We mountain biked up the Nomash and across to the Wapiti. It really didn't take long. The route up to the slab was very overgrown- to the point where we lost it and had to double back a bunch. Finally gave up. We had just climbed Rugged Mtn the day before and we were tired. I think the Nomash main will be repaired and likely be kept in good shape as it now serves as the powerline right of way for the town of Tahsis. I'd be interested in going back- with long pants and a machete! Email me direct at bluereo at hotmail.com if you want. JR

reidg

Jul 25, 2010, 1:50 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1395 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jro] wapiti valley [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

would i be able to take a motorbike or quad across the bridge or is it completely washed out and gone? im thinking of heading up there early next month and if it happens ill try to do some bush whacking to make the trail a little better

jro

Jul 25, 2010, 2:14 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What had happened is the bridge had slipped off of its footing and dropped down. We just had to scramble over the gravel piled in front of the bridge to stop traffic, jump down onto the bridge deck and have your partner pass the bikes down. So yes with a couple of planks you may get a dirt bike or ATV across.
A couple of notes:
The Nomash main was in excellent shape
The bridge may be fixed now- they may have had to do powerline maintenance.
Take the first right after crossing Nathan Creek- this leaves the powerline just as the Nomash Main takes a curve to the left and heads up a small grade.
I think it only took us about 20 minutes on bikes, so putzing around getting a quad accross may not be worth it.
I will try and find out if the Nathan creek bridge is back in.
Keep us posted.

kmack

Jul 26, 2010, 5:43 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Hey! I was up there a few weeks ago. The road to the camp is de-activated before the first of two bridges so you have to hike into the camp. We camped before the first deactivated bridge and hiked the extra half hour into the camp. The bridges are both still intact - so you could get bikes across them.. although there are some holes in the bridgedeck. You should be able to make it up on bikes or quads until at least the first river crossing. Took us about 4 hours to bushwack through to the slab (we only got the first pitch in before having to head back down) but we flagged a bit and did some trimming with a machete up to the camp. The trail should be fairly obvious now, just follow broken branches, although past the last river crossing we had a hard time following the trail up (and back from) the slab so we just bushwacked and used our GPS to meet up with our original trail. I'd like to organize a trail work session for later in the summer, so if anyone is down PM me. Also if you'd like pics PM me and I can send you a link.

(This post was edited by kmack on Jul 26, 2010, 5:49 PM)

jro

Jul 26, 2010, 7:09 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1330 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kmack] wapiti valley [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the update. Thats sounds about right- an extra 1/2 hour to the camp. John.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook