Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
Science-based medicine's (SBM) take on Glucosamine.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

circello

Jul 27, 2010, 3:05 PM
Post #1 of 47 (10070 views)
Shortcut

Science-based medicine's (SBM) take on Glucosamine.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=6266

I've been a regular reader of this blog since a disagreement with my sister-in-law over vaccinations. Generally they do their due diligence and so I thought it might be worthwhile to pass along this entry on glucosamine.

welle

Jul 27, 2010, 3:08 PM
Post #2 of 47 (10066 views)
Shortcut

Re: [circello] Science-based medicine's (SBM) take on Glucosamine. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

WTF is science-based medicine? what on oxymoron as in medicine is not science based? that's called voodoo.

circello

Jul 27, 2010, 3:14 PM
Post #3 of 47 (10060 views)
Shortcut

Re: [welle] Science-based medicine's (SBM) take on Glucosamine. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Chiropractic, acupuncture, homeopathy, etc etc. Just to name a few. There's even a federal agency - the NCCAM (National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine) It's all woo and wasted money, but people buy into it. The website I linked, attempts to debunk a lot of the noise.

Partner j_ung

Jul 27, 2010, 3:17 PM
Post #4 of 47 (10054 views)
Shortcut

Re: [circello] Science-based medicine's (SBM) take on Glucosamine. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Aw, crap. My back already feels worse.

circello

Jul 27, 2010, 3:31 PM
Post #5 of 47 (10036 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Science-based medicine's (SBM) take on Glucosamine. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:

Well, the placebo effect is still an effect.

Jay

tomtom

Jul 27, 2010, 4:33 PM
Post #6 of 47 (9988 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

welle wrote:
WTF is science-based medicine? what on oxymoron as in medicine is not science based? that's called voodoo.

Even in Western medicine, there is a lot of standard practice which hasn't been proven to be effective through scientific study.

circello

Jul 27, 2010, 4:54 PM
Post #7 of 47 (9977 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tomtom] Science-based medicine's (SBM) take on Glucosamine. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Fair enough.

reno

Jul 28, 2010, 12:41 AM
Post #8 of 47 (9903 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

welle wrote:

Not all medical decisions are evidence based. There's a reason it's called "The Art and Science of Medicine."

onceahardman

Jul 28, 2010, 2:22 AM
Post #9 of 47 (9867 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Science-based medicine's (SBM) take on Glucosamine. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
welle wrote:

Not all medical decisions are evidence based. There's a reason it's called "The Art and Science of Medicine."

Well said. For example, designing, engineering, machining, and installing a joint replacement is pretty much pure science.

Getting someone who has had a joint replaced to have full ROM and strength, and to walk without an assistive device, without gait deviations, varies greatly between patients. It's as much art as science.

Doing studies on medications, and their effectiveness, as complicated as it seems, is really relatively simple, mathematically.

Effectively treating chronic pain (for example) and proving your treatment effective, is much more difficult. There are various pain scales which claim to measure pain objectively, but it can be well argued that pain is at least partly a subjective experience. How does one measure a subjective experience objectively?

(This post was edited by onceahardman on Jul 28, 2010, 2:24 AM)

reno

Jul 28, 2010, 2:32 AM
Post #10 of 47 (9861 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Science-based medicine's (SBM) take on Glucosamine. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
reno wrote:
welle wrote:

Well said. For example, designing, engineering, machining, and installing a joint replacement is pretty much pure science.

Getting someone who has had a joint replaced to have full ROM and strength, and to walk without an assistive device, without gait deviations, varies greatly between patients. It's as much art as science.

I was thinking more along the lines of my former profession (Emergency Medicine) but yeah, you're spot on:

Science tells me that both albuterol and sub-cutaneous Epinephrine will help a case of acute asthma exacerbation due to the Beta-adrenergic effects, dilating the bronchii, reducing airway restriction, etc.

It's the "art" of medicine that tells me "This patient needs Epi NOW and can't wait for me to do a Peak End-Expiratory Flow Rate Test to decide if he just needs albuterol or if he's bad enough to warrant Epi."

welle

Jul 28, 2010, 8:54 PM
Post #11 of 47 (9777 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Science-based medicine's (SBM) take on Glucosamine. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:

Effectively treating chronic pain (for example) and proving your treatment effective, is much more difficult. There are various pain scales which claim to measure pain objectively, but it can be well argued that pain is at least partly a subjective experience. How does one measure a subjective experience objectively?

Empirical evidence is science, no? The sampling error is minimized with greater sample size.

onceahardman

Jul 28, 2010, 9:40 PM
Post #12 of 47 (9757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

welle wrote:
onceahardman wrote:

Empirical evidence is science, no? The sampling error is minimized with greater sample size.

Yes. Empirical evidence is science. The consistently effective treatment of some chronic pain syndromes, however, has thus far proven to be elusive. I was not talking about sampling error. I was talking about whether or not modern medical science is even measuring the correct thing.

Does a researcher measure (invasively) the afferent firing rate at the dorsal horn, so as to get a truly quantifyable measure of the volume of "pain" entering the spinal cord?

When, say, an amputee still complains of pain in the amputated limb (phantom pain), how does one empirically measure that, much less treat it?

I think chronic pain is primarily a brain problem, but I can't prove it.

jt512

Jul 28, 2010, 9:59 PM
Post #13 of 47 (9742 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:

With a pain scale.

Jay

pfwein

Jul 28, 2010, 10:22 PM
Post #14 of 47 (9728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

circello wrote:
Chiropractic, acupuncture, homeopathy, etc etc. Just to name a few. There's even a federal agency - the NCCAM (National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine) It's all woo and wasted money, but people buy into it. The website I linked, attempts to debunk a lot of the noise.

Out of curiousity, I looked at NCCAMs website.
I think you are really misssing the point of that organization: I think it is to apply scientific methods to "alternative" medicine, which seems to be the opposite of what you're implying.

Or maybe I just didn't understand your point. Regardless, seems like the organization has a good purpose.

From
http://nccam.nih.gov/health/whatiscam/A Note About Safety and Effectiveness
Rigorous, well-designed clinical trials for many CAM therapies are often lacking; therefore, the safety and effectiveness of many CAM therapies are uncertain. NCCAM is sponsoring research designed to fill this knowledge gap by building a scientific evidence base about CAM therapies—whether they are safe; and whether they work for the conditions for which people use them and, if so, how they work.

onceahardman

Jul 28, 2010, 10:59 PM
Post #15 of 47 (9711 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Science-based medicine's (SBM) take on Glucosamine. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
onceahardman wrote:

With a pain scale.

Jay

Pain is inherently subjective. This was noted by Henry Knowles Beecher (1904 - 1976), an anesthesiologist. Here's an interesting extract from a writeup on his findings:
"Serving as an Army medical consultant on the Anzio beachhead, [Beecher] observed that soldiers with serious wounds complained of pain much less than did his postoperative patients at Massachusetts General Hospital. Beecher hypothesized that the soldier's pain was alleviated by his survival of combat and the knowledge that he could now spend weeks or months in safety and relative comfort while he recovered. The hospital patient, however, had been removed from his home environment and now faced an extended period of illness and the fear of possible complications. Beecher argued that "the reaction component" made pain such a complex and individualized phenomenon that it could only be studied effectively in the clinical setting. Patients with real pain would not exhibit the same physiologic manifestations or the same responses to analgesics as experimental subjects, who knew that they were in no serious danger and that the pain would soon cease."

reno

Jul 29, 2010, 12:47 AM
Post #16 of 47 (9691 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
onceahardman wrote:

With a pain scale.

Jay

You can objectively measure using a subjective tool?

You're better than every single physician in the world, then. Ever consider a career in medicine?

davidnn5

Jul 29, 2010, 1:22 AM
Post #17 of 47 (9677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
onceahardman wrote:

With a pain scale.

Jay

I think you just debunked the myth that you never say anything stupid.

bill413

Jul 29, 2010, 1:52 AM
Post #18 of 47 (9668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:

For the above question to appear in a rock climbing site, where we almost universally assign objectively agreed upon grades to climbs based on subjective perception is interesting.

Just saying, as I fully agree pain is a subjective phenomena.

jt512

Jul 29, 2010, 2:35 AM
Post #19 of 47 (9650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

reno wrote:
jt512 wrote:
onceahardman wrote:

With a pain scale.

Jay

I'm not sure what you mean by a "subjective tool." A pain scale converts a subjective experience of pain to a concrete number on a rating scale. If your interest is in determining whether a treatment (say, glucosamine) is more effective than a control (say, a placebo), then comparing the mean pre-treament–post-treatment difference of the pain scale rating for the treatment group with the mean pre-post difference for the control group provides an objective measure of the effectiveness of the treatment relative to the control.

In reply to:
Ever consider a career in medicine?

Yes, but I decided (in spite of extremely high MCAT scores) that my talents were better suited to designing studies for doctors than becoming one myself. In retrospect, I'd probably have gone the MD/PhD route, with an emphasis in biostatistics.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jul 29, 2010, 3:03 AM)

davidnn5

Jul 29, 2010, 3:02 AM
Post #20 of 47 (9628 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I remember when I gave up my dreams of being an astronaut to be a lowly brain surgeon and rock star...

jt512

Jul 29, 2010, 4:51 PM
Post #21 of 47 (9569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

circello wrote:

I've been a regular reader of this blog since a disagreement with my sister-in-law over vaccinations. Generally they do their due diligence and so I thought it might be worthwhile to pass along this entry on glucosamine.

The author ignores several well-controlled clinical trials that have shown benefits for glucosamine sulfate for osteoarthritis of the knee. See, for example, the GUIDE trial. These studies used pharmaceutical grade crystalline glucosamine sulfate, which is available by mail order in the US under the brand name Dona. It costs about double that of other brands of glucosamine that you find at the local drug store, but it is the only brand and formulation of glucosamine that has been shown to be beneficial in clinical trials, and only for osteoarthritis of the knee, as far as I know.

Jay

rmsusa

Jul 29, 2010, 5:48 PM
Post #22 of 47 (9542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yes, but I decided (in spite of......

Hope the spray didn't get your shirt wet. :-)

jt512

Jul 29, 2010, 5:51 PM
Post #23 of 47 (9540 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rmsusa] Science-based medicine's (SBM) take on Glucosamine. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rmsusa wrote:
In reply to:
Yes, but I decided (in spite of......

Hope the spray didn't get your shirt wet. :-)

Nah, if I had been spraying, I probably would have mentioned things like my perfect "15" on the biological sciences section, etc.

Jay

circello

Jul 29, 2010, 6:29 PM
Post #24 of 47 (9520 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
circello wrote:

The author ignores several well-controlled clinical trials that have shown benefits for glucosamine sulfate for osteoarthritis of the knee. See, for example, the GUIDE trial. These studies used pharmaceutical grade crystalline glucosamine sulfate, which is available by mail order in the US under the brand name Dona. It costs about double that of other brands of glucosamine that you find at the local drug store, but it is the only brand and formulation of glucosamine that has been shown to be beneficial in clinical trials, and only for osteoarthritis of the knee, as far as I know.

Jay

I don't normally posit a 'pharma-shill' gambit, but I am curious how often the company producing the product designs not the experiment, but the statistical analysis thereof. Seeing as you have loads more expertise in this field - is there anything abnormal about this practice or the statistics they performed?

jt512

Jul 29, 2010, 7:02 PM
Post #25 of 47 (9510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

circello wrote:
jt512 wrote:
circello wrote:

Jay

I don't normally posit a 'pharma-shill' gambit, but I am curious how often the company producing the product designs not the experiment, but the statistical analysis thereof. Seeing as you have loads more expertise in this field - is there anything abnormal about this practice or the statistics they performed?

I'm not familiar with the European model, but in US drug trials, usually the drug company designs, conducts, and analyzes the study, in accordance with FDA regulations. What struck me as strange about the GUIDE study is that none of the authors were evidently affiliated with Rotta, yet Rotta performed the statistical analysis. I would be more comfortable if an independent statistician had done the analysis. That said, the analysis they performed seems to be both rigorous and routine.

Jay

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook