RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

nikki_trauma

Aug 30, 2010, 12:53 AM
Post #1 of 18 (3349 views)
Shortcut

Backpacks for heavy loads!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking for a pack thats going to be able to carry a full rack, a rope, water and a few extras for long (sometimes technical) approaches. I've been looking at the Osprey Kestral 68. Any thoughts?

cornstateclimber

Aug 30, 2010, 2:05 AM
Post #2 of 18 (3314 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nikki_trauma] Backpacks for heavy loads! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i carry a jansport peregrine 52 liter pack, had it for ten years now or so. @52 liters it carries all my rack, rope, gallon of water, shoes, jacket/raingear, stove and food for a day or more. i find that the 52 is more than enough for a days outing. I have even been able to carry overnight gear(tent & clothes and food) on occasion. so i would think the osprey 68 would be more than adequate for you neeeds, and they are great packs too, and comfortable.

kjaking

Aug 30, 2010, 2:09 AM
Post #3 of 18 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that you pack to heavy if you need that large a pack for what sounds like not very much stuff. Also, and you must have a different idea of what technical is if you think that a 70 liter pack is still "technical"

I have an osprey mutant 38 that I use for the things you mentioned plus overnight gear. The rope rides under the lid with the rope strap. I was able to fit my rope inside when I tried packing the Variant 52 at the store with all my crap, but I decided that rope on the outside was worth being able to climb low 5th class with the pack on, and went with the Mutant. I know its an ice pack, but it has worked awesome for cragging and climbs in the high sierra where I wanted to carry a pack.

(This post was edited by kjaking on Aug 30, 2010, 4:45 AM)

dugl33

Aug 30, 2010, 2:56 AM
Post #4 of 18 (3286 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nikki_trauma wrote:
I'm looking for a pack thats going to be able to carry a full rack, a rope, water and a few extras for long (sometimes technical) approaches. I've been looking at the Osprey Kestral 68. Any thoughts?

Unless you're taking bivy gear that seems a bit big to me. I've got a Mountain Hardwear Direttisima which is pretty close to 50 liters and I'm able to fit everything inside. Its been a great pack so far. If I needed to take bivy gear I would probably need to put the rope outside (under the lid).

If you can swing it take what you're going to want to carry to the shop and pack up the pack you're considering.

climbingaggie03

Aug 30, 2010, 3:01 AM
Post #5 of 18 (3280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just to throw it out there, Cilogear makes great packs, either the 40 or the 60 liter worksacks would probably do you, and compress down when your realize you don't need all that space.http://www.cilogear.com

billcoe_

Aug 30, 2010, 4:05 AM
Post #6 of 18 (3260 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingaggie03] Backpacks for heavy loads! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Get a Cilogear Big Wally.

yodadave

Aug 30, 2010, 11:56 AM
Post #7 of 18 (3201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Osprey are the most comfortable packs i know of.
i backpack for work and many coworkers agree, they are not as "technical" as cilogear but supercomfy.

cornstateclimber

Aug 30, 2010, 1:11 PM
Post #8 of 18 (3178 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yodadave] Backpacks for heavy loads! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

and according to the cilo gear page, osprey will run you about 500 less.

kachoong

Aug 30, 2010, 2:20 PM
Post #9 of 18 (3159 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use the BD Predator 50L. Great pack!

summerprophet

Aug 30, 2010, 2:26 PM
Post #10 of 18 (3150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

In My Expereince:

A full rack, rope, water and goodies should fit in a 32-38 litre pack (depending on the model), if you learn to pack properly and are OK with the rope drapped under the top lid.
In the event you are bushwacking to the crag, and you want the rope in the bag (not snagging on everything) you can get by with a 45 - 50 litre, again assuming you learn to pack it.

For cragging, a 68 is enormous. I would only get it if you wanted one pack for mountain travel, long hiking trips as well as rock weekends.

I have a 65L arcteryx for my rescue pack, and while I have done technical stuff with it, it was less than desirable.

I am 6'1" and wouldn't take anything bigger than a 55L for technical approaches.

jrathfon

Aug 30, 2010, 2:33 PM
Post #11 of 18 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i use the BD sphynx 42 for cragging: 15 draws/slings, 20 cams, harness, 2x shoes, 1 gallon water, chalk bag, lunch, phone, bars, knife, etc etc. that's not full. if i wanted i could throw the rope under the brain but usually have my partner carry it. it's got a significantly beefy suspension and a good grab (~haul) loop.

osprey's as far as comfort are the shiz, but yeah, they *generally won't be as technical (crampon straps, ski holder straps, ice axe loops, etc.) as some of the other packs mentioned, but i've found i can pack all that associated gear in any of my osprey's, ski's being a touch awkward.

my work horse pack for "heavy" loads is an aether 60, though the suspension is a bit light. heavy: long axe, long adze, 18V cordless drill, 2x batteries, chain saw, gallon gas can, hammer, chisels, draw knife, bow saw, etc. was also great when "working" on the trail for a summer, guiding backpacking trips.

climbingaggie03

Aug 30, 2010, 3:16 PM
Post #12 of 18 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cornstateclimber] Backpacks for heavy loads! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cornstateclimber wrote:

are they paying you to take ospreys now? the cilogear 60L worksack is only $260.

MS1

Aug 30, 2010, 3:27 PM
Post #13 of 18 (3117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can easily throw all that in my Arc'Teryx Miura 50, with room to spare for food/clothing layers/whatever. The pack carries extremely well. Might be a bit heavy for you depending on how technical those approaches are, however. It is pricey but if you keep your eye out you can find some dealz.

iron106

Aug 30, 2010, 3:31 PM
Post #14 of 18 (3112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a 10 year old pack that I bought for $20. I found an old framesheet to beef it up for heavy loads but I never use it. Although I haven't hiked with it full for longer than 3 hours at one time.

Partner devkrev

Aug 30, 2010, 3:58 PM
Post #15 of 18 (3093 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nikki_trauma wrote:

My partner had an Osprey Kestral, not sure what size, make sure you get the right frame size, it cause stabbing back pain for a week while hiking because it was sized too large, as per EMS "guide" sizing.

dev

crackers

Aug 30, 2010, 4:03 PM
Post #16 of 18 (3089 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cornstateclimber] Backpacks for heavy loads! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cornstateclimber wrote:

Yawn. CiloGear makes packs other than the NWD ones. And make the packs here in Portland, Oregon not over in Vietnam.

iron106

Aug 30, 2010, 4:32 PM
Post #17 of 18 (3072 views)
Shortcut

Re: [devkrev] Backpacks for heavy loads! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

devkrev wrote:
nikki_trauma wrote:

My partner had an Osprey Kestral, not sure what size, make sure you get the right frame size, it cause stabbing back pain for a week while hiking because it was sized too large, as per EMS "guide" sizing.

dev

That's why it is best to try your pack on with weight in it, at the store.

Partner devkrev

Aug 30, 2010, 4:51 PM
Post #18 of 18 (3058 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iron106] Backpacks for heavy loads! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

iron106 wrote:
devkrev wrote:
nikki_trauma wrote:

dev

That's why it is best to try your pack on with weight in it, at the store.

Sorry, I expect shop employees to have enough knowledge to size a pack correctly, or enough decency to say "sorry, we don't have the right size"

We know the pack was too large, because we had spoken (in person) to an Osprey Rep, and they knew right away the pack was too big.

The pain didn't develop until a number of miles in, so trying it on around the store for a few minutes wouldn't have helped as much as having the corrected sized pack to begin with.

The EMS where we returned the pack was great.

But you are right, trying it on in the store loaded will help you make a better informed decision. Just make sure its the right size per the manufacturer.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook