RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

acorneau

Aug 30, 2010, 2:31 PM
Post #1 of 16 (4965 views)
Shortcut

CiloGear price increases?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Howdy Folks,

I have been looking at purchasing one of CiloGear's 20L leader packs for a while. Checked back on their website to find that they have increased the price by 50%.

Frown

I had decided that while there were other similar options out there for a slightly lower price I was happy with paying a slight premium to purchase from a highly-respected small business. Unfortunately, the 50% price increase is too much and means my money will go to purchase something from a "big company".

Sorry, CiloGear. I really wanted to buy your pack, but you've priced yourself out of my league.

Unsure

shrug7

Aug 30, 2010, 2:58 PM
Post #2 of 16 (4946 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] CiloGear price increases? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I picked up the 30L last year for 125 now it's 150 not too steep an increase, they are a good company and stand by their products.

75$ is not bad for a quality 20L pack though.

crackers

Aug 30, 2010, 4:23 PM
Post #3 of 16 (4909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (9 ratings)  
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
Unfortunately, the 50% price increase is too much and means my money will go to purchase something from a "big company".

It was either raise the price that much or go out of business. The 20L worksack has about $25 of materials in it. It isn't economically possible to sell it for $50. Since mid April, we've been warning anybody who asked us about it that the price was going to go up in August...

Of course, if we made junk over in asia, it'd be a different story. But premium materials cost money. If you believe in our environmental message (lean manufacturing with short supply chains is the most ecologically responsible method of doing business) as we do, well, here at CiloGear we are proud to make our packs here in Portland, Oregon from mostly US made fabrics. Our manufacturing costs are not much different than what it would cost in Asia, but our fabric is much nicer and it costs more money.

I'm sorry to lose your business, but I'm glad that I'm not giving you a pack and basically subsidizing your purchase with $10 out of my pocket. When the materials costs went up earlier this year, well, the writing was on the wall. I'm sorry we can't source cheaper material that matches our performance criteria for the 20L. Unsure

Good luck and thanks for considering CiloGear!

billcoe_

Aug 30, 2010, 8:09 PM
Post #4 of 16 (4852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice reply. When you divide the cost you paid over the life of the product, then multiply by the joy the things gives you each and every day you use it, the made in China product often turns out to be very expensive indeed.

My wife bought me a Made in China North Face pack as a gift years ago. It has all these bells, whistles, extraneous straps and weighs a lot for what it fits inside of it. I took it out a couple times and it even carry's poorly.

I love her dearly, but everytime I see that POS, and it's been sitting in my basement for years, I remember how much I hate that POS, although I still love her for the thought. Cilogear packs are really special. It's a one time cost for a lifetime of love....or not.

dynosore

Aug 30, 2010, 8:42 PM
Post #5 of 16 (4813 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crackers] CiloGear price increases? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

crackers wrote:
acorneau wrote:
Unfortunately, the 50% price increase is too much and means my money will go to purchase something from a "big company".

It was either raise the price that much or go out of business. The 20L worksack has about $25 of materials in it. It isn't economically possible to sell it for $50. Since mid April, we've been warning anybody who asked us about it that the price was going to go up in August...

Of course, if we made junk over in asia, it'd be a different story. But premium materials cost money. If you believe in our environmental message (lean manufacturing with short supply chains is the most ecologically responsible method of doing business) as we do, well, here at CiloGear we are proud to make our packs here in Portland, Oregon from mostly US made fabrics. Our manufacturing costs are not much different than what it would cost in Asia, but our fabric is much nicer and it costs more money.

I'm sorry to lose your business, but I'm glad that I'm not giving you a pack and basically subsidizing your purchase with $10 out of my pocket. When the materials costs went up earlier this year, well, the writing was on the wall. I'm sorry we can't source cheaper material that matches our performance criteria for the 20L. Unsure

Good luck and thanks for considering CiloGear!

I have one of your packs and it is very well made. I don't understand your math though; if the material cost is 25$, and you raised your price 25$, are you saying the material cost was zero before? Sounds like you increased the cost of the packs more than just the cost of material increases? Regardless, I'll always pay a premium for quality, it's cheaper in the long run.

Bowman_15

Aug 30, 2010, 9:04 PM
Post #6 of 16 (4794 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] CiloGear price increases? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe the price increase would be to not only increase the added cost of the materials in the product but to also offset the cost of the overhead expenses involved in the manufacture of the product. If the price of the material alone is $25 and then the company has to produce the product and pay the labor that takes out even more expenses making the margin of profit from the pack very little at the price of $50. The cost of materials and overhead would have been too much to even warrant selling the product in my opinion at the price of $50. I've never used CiloGear's products before but $75 for a nice pack seems very reasonable to me.

edited for clarity of thoughts

(This post was edited by Bowman_15 on Aug 30, 2010, 9:12 PM)

acorneau

Aug 30, 2010, 9:21 PM
Post #7 of 16 (4776 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] CiloGear price increases? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bill, I hear what you're saying and I very much subscribe to the idea of "buy nice or buy twice". Crackers, I know you're making high-quality gear and have to make a living as well as making your customers happy.

I have been using a Gregory day-and-a-half pack for 20 years now and looks almost as good as when I bought it. My girlfriend's pack (also a Gregory) is only a year old and is already showing signs of wear and stress. I'm going to cry if my pack ever gets stolen or becomes damaged in an atom bomb blast. I'm sure a CiloGear pack would be just as durable and become a trusted "friend" that I would rely on.

Unfortunately, I'll probably use a leader's pack as an actual leader's pack only once or maybe twice a year. The rest of the time it will be a very nice knapsack.

I may end up changing my mind and getting the CiloGear anyway. Who knows.

breathmint

Aug 30, 2010, 9:34 PM
Post #8 of 16 (4764 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] CiloGear price increases? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
everytime I see that POS, and it's been sitting in my basement for years, I remember how much I hate that POS
I bought a North Face hydration pack for running that lasted about a year before the internal frame started puncturing every water reservoir I put in it. That thing cost $100 on sale! I won't buy another expensive hydration pack.

billcoe_

Aug 31, 2010, 12:36 AM
Post #9 of 16 (4698 views)
Shortcut

Re: [breathmint] CiloGear price increases? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

breathmint wrote:
I bought a North Face hydration pack for running that lasted about a year before the internal frame started puncturing every water reservoir I put in it. That thing cost $100 on sale! I won't buy another expensive hydration pack.

Damn, sounds like you have to put it on ebay as a "solar shower". LOL! Bet everytime you look at it you go Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Laugh

I have a little Cilogear pack I lucked out and won at a benefit as Cilogear had donated it to support climbers (have not seen any other pack company do that yet around here). I've used it 2 an a half times (please do not ask about the 1/2) doing solo first ascents, which scare the holy hell out of me. But the lightness and comfort is sickly appreciated.

This is the little one as I'm topping out on the Old Witch pinnacle on the ground up solo FA of a route I named The Salathe Highway last year. I pop the top off, and use the J Healy rope stuffing method with a Trango Superlight locker redirect over the shoulder and it works great. So comfortable. But seriously, I was so terrified, I almost didn't know I was wearing it till I saw these pics later. The front side of the pinnacle is just under 400 feet to the deck, pretty exposed when you have these knobs just popping off randomly.

The only bad thing on this pack that I'm aware of. Unlike most packs where the lid is sewn on, you can remove this (which works great for these solo things), is once you've totally removed the top and set it down, and this is true and perhaps more difficult for an older person like moi at 56, you have to remember where you put it to put it back on. God what a great pack though.

dswink

Aug 31, 2010, 6:12 AM
Post #10 of 16 (4598 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crackers] CiloGear price increases? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I own several smaller packs but my Cilogear 30L is my go-to pack for cragging, leading, or day hikes. Thanks for a really nice pack.

sungam

Aug 31, 2010, 9:59 AM
Post #11 of 16 (4567 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dswink] CiloGear price increases? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dswink wrote:
I own several smaller packs but my Cilogear 30L is my go-to pack for cragging, leading, or day hikes. Thanks for a really nice pack.
Same here. It's a little to short in the back for me but it still beats everything else. And that was V1, the V new ones are even better.

mr.tastycakes

Sep 10, 2010, 5:20 AM
Post #12 of 16 (4373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got the 20L back in July for $50, and I thought it was a steal. It's a really nice little pack.

The price increase is a bummer, but I'd probably pay $75 if had to repurchase for whatever reason. There are other 20ish liter climbing packs out there for around $50 made with cheaper fabric...you pay for what you get, i guess.

iron106

Sep 10, 2010, 1:03 PM
Post #13 of 16 (4327 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
Bill, I hear what you're saying and I very much subscribe to the idea of "buy nice or buy twice". Crackers, I know you're making high-quality gear and have to make a living as well as making your customers happy.

I have been using a Gregory day-and-a-half pack for 20 years now and looks almost as good as when I bought it. My girlfriend's pack (also a Gregory) is only a year old and is already showing signs of wear and stress. I'm going to cry if my pack ever gets stolen or becomes damaged in an atom bomb blast. I'm sure a CiloGear pack would be just as durable and become a trusted "friend" that I would rely on.

Unfortunately, I'll probably use a leader's pack as an actual leader's pack only once or maybe twice a year. The rest of the time it will be a very nice knapsack.

I may end up changing my mind and getting the CiloGear anyway. Who knows.

That is what I have noticed with most companies lately. They are too worried about keeping the price the same so they cut back a little here and there making everything "better" or rather "cheaper" than last year.

I commend CiloGear on not following along with that trend.

wings

Sep 10, 2010, 3:17 PM
Post #14 of 16 (4274 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iron106] CiloGear price increases? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a 20L NWD pack and it's just weird how well it fits. It was worth every penny.

ncrockclimber

Sep 10, 2010, 5:08 PM
Post #15 of 16 (4236 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iron106] CiloGear price increases? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

iron106 wrote:

That is what I have noticed with most companies lately. They are too worried about keeping the price the same so they cut back a little here and there making everything "better" or rather "cheaper" than last year.

I commend CiloGear on not following along with that trend.

Great point!

mtnkid85

Sep 21, 2010, 2:43 AM
Post #16 of 16 (4002 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ncrockclimber] CiloGear price increases? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well like anyone in here needs to hear it but, Cilogear packs are the shit!
I own a 45, 40 and a 20l worksack, for some unexplainable reason I really want a 30L... in NWD.

The owner is a rad guy too, helped me out purchasing a pack for my girlfriend. Actually convinced me to get a cheaper pack.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook