Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

justroberto

Oct 4, 2010, 10:21 PM
Post #1 of 81 (7534 views)
Shortcut

Gunks Accident Every Weekend
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (23 ratings)  
Can't Post

Can we make this sticky? Every Monday people can come in and report on what happened the previous weekend. Then there can be another sticky for "Gunks Asshole This Weekend."

(This post was edited by justroberto on Oct 5, 2010, 5:52 PM)

dr_feelgood

Oct 4, 2010, 10:26 PM
Post #2 of 81 (7517 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] Gunks Accident This Weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

justroberto wrote:
Can we make this sticky? Every Monday people can come in and report on what happened the previous weekend. Then there can be another sticky for "Gunks Asshole This Weekend."

I fully support this idea.

carabiner96

Oct 4, 2010, 10:28 PM
Post #3 of 81 (7511 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Gunks Accident This Weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
justroberto wrote:

I fully support this idea.

Thirded. That place makes Rumney look cool.

rangerrob

Oct 4, 2010, 11:39 PM
Post #4 of 81 (7446 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (22 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey Roberto, how about we put a sticky note on your forehead that reads "this asshole thinks he will never make a mistake while climbing". I think that would be more appropriate.

RR

justroberto

Oct 5, 2010, 12:08 AM
Post #5 of 81 (7413 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] Gunks Accident This Weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

You could try, but I don't think it would stick for very long - I'm kind of greasy right now.

jeepnphreak

Oct 5, 2010, 12:14 AM
Post #6 of 81 (7406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have never climbed at the Gunks. But it sounds like a yourtube worthy shit show. Could make a week of it next season.

blueeyedclimber

Oct 5, 2010, 2:03 AM
Post #7 of 81 (7335 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

Very poor taste. God forbid that anyone you are close to are ever involved in an accident. If you think shit can't happen to you then you are living in ignorance.

The Gunks proximity to the largest Metropolitan are in the US and it's plentiful bounty of beginner climbs opens itself up to it's share of accidents. It is what it is, but that doesn't mean you can't show some damn empathy!

Josh

gblauer

Oct 5, 2010, 2:13 AM
Post #8 of 81 (7317 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] Gunks Accident This Weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

rangerrob wrote:
Hey Roberto, how about we put a sticky note on your forehead that reads "this asshole thinks he will never make a mistake while climbing". I think that would be more appropriate.

RR

You rock RR

dr_feelgood

Oct 5, 2010, 2:33 AM
Post #9 of 81 (7289 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Gunks Accident This Weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
Very poor taste. God forbid that anyone you are close to are ever involved in an accident. If you think shit can't happen to you then you are living in ignorance.

The Gunks proximity to the largest Metropolitan are in the US and it's plentiful bounty of beginner climbs opens itself up to it's share of accidents. It is what it is, but that doesn't mean you can't show some damn empathy!

Josh

Once again, I disagree. My parents have been the recipients of the 'call' that every loved one of a climber fears.

The gunks is a dangerous place. People die there.

Unfortunately, it is very rare that a serious injury or death is not directly attributable to the actions of an individual; the kindergarten phrase of everyone makes mistakes is potentially deadly when there are 6 million+ people crowding the economically viable mouth of the hudson river with a vague aspiration of being called a climber.

Showing the varying levels of idiocy involved in accidents may prevent further accidents; or it might accomplish nothing. Getting into your car and driving to the gunks, given its popularity, means immortalization on the internet if you fuck up and get hurt.
May as well confine it to one place in our little fantasy world here.

blueeyedclimber

Oct 5, 2010, 2:40 AM
Post #10 of 81 (7271 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Gunks Accident This Weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

Josh

Once again, I disagree. My parents have been the recipients of the 'call' that every loved one of a climber fears.

The gunks is a dangerous place. People die there.

Unfortunately, it is very rare that a serious injury or death is not directly attributable to the actions of an individual; the kindergarten phrase of everyone makes mistakes is potentially deadly when there are 6 million+ people crowding the economically viable mouth of the hudson river with a vague aspiration of being called a climber.

Showing the varying levels of idiocy involved in accidents may prevent further accidents; or it might accomplish nothing. Getting into your car and driving to the gunks, given its popularity, means immortalization on the internet if you fuck up and get hurt.
May as well confine it to one place in our little fantasy world here.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of that, but each accident has a name. All of those people who make light of accidents or call out the idiocy of those invovled would NOT do that if it were their brother, best friend, child, etc. It is possible to learn from accidents without being a jackass.

Josh

wonderwoman

Oct 5, 2010, 2:49 AM
Post #11 of 81 (7254 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As much as I hate reading about accidents, I do find value in reflecting on an accident report.

I do not find value in internet drama queens who like to kick a climber when he's down. Show some class.

theguy

Oct 5, 2010, 3:18 AM
Post #12 of 81 (7227 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Gunks Accident This Weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
drama queens who like to kick a climber when he's down. Show some class.

Do you think that commenting on the frequency of accidents amounts to kicking a climber when they're down? A number of posters who also objected to the OP acknowledge that that there are many accidents.

Or have you, as others may have, assumed that the "asshole" thread would be about the same person as the "accidents" thread? If so, this says more about you than about the OP: at the best, this was his intent, and you apparently agree it's a valid statement since you made this assumption; at the worst, this wasn't his intent, and your assumption belies your feigned outrage.

wonderwoman

Oct 5, 2010, 3:36 AM
Post #13 of 81 (7213 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theguy] Gunks Accident This Weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not outraged, never mind feigning outrage (whatever that means). I am pointing out that the OP is making fun of the accidents that have happened in the Gunks. Lame. That's all.

blueeyedclimber

Oct 5, 2010, 3:41 AM
Post #14 of 81 (7210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

theguy wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

Do you think that commenting on the frequency of accidents amounts to kicking a climber when they're down? A number of posters who also objected to the OP acknowledge that that there are many accidents.

He wasn't commenting. Comments could have gone in the original accident thread. He was making light of the accidents and calling those involved "assholes."

Josh

mheyman

Oct 5, 2010, 3:51 AM
Post #15 of 81 (7197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
He wasn't commenting. Comments could have gone in the original accident thread. He was making light of the accidents and calling those involved "assholes." Josh

I'd say I agree, bit I don't need to. It's a fact, just read the OPs post at the top of the this thread.

theguy

Oct 5, 2010, 6:34 AM
Post #16 of 81 (7106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
Comments could have gone in the original accident thread. He was making light of the accidents and calling those involved "assholes."

Oh dear, oh dear.

Let's take this one part at a time:

blueeyedclimber wrote:
Comments could have gone in the original accident thread.

As a reminder, the Accident & Incidents Analysis posting guidelines state the following:
- "Keep it about the accident"
- "Make your posts factual, and as detailed as possible"

The OP's post was not about a specific accident, nor was it factual. Once again, general commentary does not belong in the A&IA forum, and the OP did the right thing in opening a separate thread in the General forum.

blueeyedclimber wrote:
He was making light of the accidents

And your point is? You want him to join your club for those who "like ...watching June bugs fly into things over and over again"?

blueeyedclimber wrote:
He was ...calling those involved "assholes."

In your rush to judgment, you seem to have neglected to actually read my full post. To make it easy, I'll repeat the part you apparently skipped:

"Or have you, as others may have, assumed that the 'asshole' thread would be about the same person as the 'accidents' thread? If so, this says more about you than about the OP: at the best, this was his intent, and you apparently agree it's a valid statement since you made this assumption; at the worst, this wasn't his intent, and your assumption belies your feigned outrage.'

It would appear that you have fallen victim to the same trap which caught wonderwoman... guess she wasn't wearing her bracelets today :)

I'm beginning to think I should change my sig to "Shaper of Young Minds"...

t2stone

Oct 5, 2010, 9:31 AM
Post #17 of 81 (7074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's really cool to see "everyone" bonding and what not, I'm glad I "rapped" out of this mudslinging *hit~show last yearCool

P.S. tell jt5whteva I "really" miss him ...

T.C.

blueeyedclimber

Oct 5, 2010, 12:04 PM
Post #18 of 81 (7020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

theguy wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
Comments could have gone in the original accident thread. He was making light of the accidents and calling those involved "assholes."

Oh dear, oh dear.

Let's take this one part at a time:

blueeyedclimber wrote:
Comments could have gone in the original accident thread.

As a reminder, the Accident & Incidents Analysis posting guidelines state the following:
- "Keep it about the accident"
- "Make your posts factual, and as detailed as possible"

The OP's post was not about a specific accident, nor was it factual. Once again, general commentary does not belong in the A&IA forum, and the OP did the right thing in opening a separate thread in the General forum.

blueeyedclimber wrote:
He was making light of the accidents

And your point is? You want him to join your club for those who "like ...watching June bugs fly into things over and over again"?

blueeyedclimber wrote:
He was ...calling those involved "assholes."

In your rush to judgment, you seem to have neglected to actually read my full post. To make it easy, I'll repeat the part you apparently skipped:

"Or have you, as others may have, assumed that the 'asshole' thread would be about the same person as the 'accidents' thread? If so, this says more about you than about the OP: at the best, this was his intent, and you apparently agree it's a valid statement since you made this assumption; at the worst, this wasn't his intent, and your assumption belies your feigned outrage.'

It would appear that you have fallen victim to the same trap which caught wonderwoman... guess she wasn't wearing her bracelets today :)

I'm beginning to think I should change my sig to "Shaper of Young Minds"...

I feel so flattered that you took the time to check out my profile. I could make some cute references to yours as well, but I woldn't be able to say much except that you have dreamy, rippling muscles and you own some orange shorts.

You are merely speculating, as I am, of the OP's intent. I guess the only way to know for sure is to ask.

So Roberto, were you making light of the recent accident in the Gunks and calling those involved assholes?

There, GUY, was that so hard? Now, to sit back and see if he answers.

Josh

carabiner96

Oct 5, 2010, 1:03 PM
Post #19 of 81 (6981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only folks who are all butthurt are Gunksies. Hmm.

I would agree that the OP is just making commentary on the relative frequency of shit-showing, and not seriously suggesting that all accidents get put in one thread (though it would be more convenient for my monday morning routine).

Panteez....untwist!

(This post was edited by carabiner96 on Oct 5, 2010, 1:09 PM)

imnotclever

Oct 5, 2010, 1:19 PM
Post #20 of 81 (6961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

justroberto wrote:

How is this confusing? Another.

Gmburns2000

Oct 5, 2010, 1:22 PM
Post #21 of 81 (6959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

justroberto wrote:

There is a sticky and it's called the Accidents and Analysis Forum. There is nothing about the climbing at the 'Gunks that is any more dangerous than at any other popular crag, just like there isn't anything specific to the grigri that makes climbing with one dangerous: it's the people, and each person makes a mistake that deserves independent analysis. Even if some accidents sound the same, they deserve separate threads so that we don't gloss over what not only did happen but what can continue to happen if it has happened before.

I haven't yet seen an accident reported at the 'Gunks that couldn't happen at most other major crags.

With regards to frequency, while I don't keep stats, I have seen a fair amount of accident threads out of the Red, New, Seneca, and Eldo, too. I assume the reason for this is proximity to population centers.

carabiner96

Oct 5, 2010, 1:24 PM
Post #22 of 81 (6952 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Gunks Accident This Weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
justroberto wrote:

There is a sticky and it's called the Accidents and Analysis Forum. There is nothing about the climbing at the 'Gunks that is any more dangerous than at any other popular crag, just like there isn't anything specific to the grigri that makes climbing with one dangerous: it's the people, and each person makes a mistake that deserves independent analysis. Even if some accidents sound the same, they deserve separate threads so that we don't gloss over what not only did happen but what can continue to happen if it has happened before.

I haven't yet seen an accident reported at the 'Gunks that couldn't happen at most other major crags.

With regards to frequency, while I don't keep stats, I have seen a fair amount of accident threads out of the Red, New, Seneca, and Eldo, too. I assume the reason for this is proximity to population centers.

So you agree the area deserves an 'Assholes of the Gunks' sticky?

justroberto

Oct 5, 2010, 1:30 PM
Post #23 of 81 (6946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
theguy wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

He wasn't commenting. Comments could have gone in the original accident thread. He was making light of the accidents and calling those involved "assholes."

Josh
You've missed the boat, dude. The asshole thread was a comment on the increasing number of "listen to what this asshole did to me this weekend, isn't that terrible?" threads.

Gmburns2000

Oct 5, 2010, 1:36 PM
Post #24 of 81 (6931 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Gunks Accident This Weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
justroberto wrote:

so long as I can be the star.

carabiner96

Oct 5, 2010, 1:39 PM
Post #25 of 81 (6926 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Gunks Accident This Weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
justroberto wrote:

so long as I can be the star.

Aww, you'll always be my asshole!

Seriously, though, I can see a sticky "This weekend's asshole award goes to..."

Doesn't have to be limited to the Gunks, and would be a favorite Monday morning read. Even better when both parties happen to be rc.commers...DRAMZ!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook