Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Trad Climbing:
Video: Bachar-Yerian (Climbers: Andrew Rock & Jan McCollum)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

jmeizis

Nov 21, 2010, 6:41 AM
Post #26 of 79 (10226 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Video: Bachar-Yerian (Climbers: Andrew Rock & Jan McCollum) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

What'd he do to train for it?

jt512

Nov 21, 2010, 7:03 AM
Post #27 of 79 (10216 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmeizis] Video: Bachar-Yerian (Climbers: Andrew Rock & Jan McCollum) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (10 ratings)  
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:
What'd he do to train for it?

I don't know much more than he states in the video. His main goal was to train endurance, so that he wouldn't get pumped on the route; but seriously, he has years more experience climbing than you, and, I suspect is superior to you in every aspect of climbing: endurance, power, technique, breadth of experience, depth of experience, mental control, gear, etc., etc., etc. Way more than me too. But you're the one claiming to be on the "cusp" of being able to lead the Bachar–Yerrian.

Jay

jmeizis

Nov 21, 2010, 3:22 PM
Post #28 of 79 (10188 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Video: Bachar-Yerian (Climbers: Andrew Rock & Jan McCollum) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I got that in the video when he pretty much cruised the route. Wasn't enough to bring him up and say he was a really good climber. Had to knock someone (me in this case) down a peg. I'm gonna guess your job either involves little interaction with people or enough interaction that it pisses you off and you take it out on others. That or you don't realise your backhanded comments make you sound like an ass.

jt512

Nov 21, 2010, 6:19 PM
Post #29 of 79 (10160 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmeizis] Video: Bachar-Yerian (Climbers: Andrew Rock & Jan McCollum) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (11 ratings)  
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:
Yeah, I got that in the video when he pretty much cruised the route. Wasn't enough to bring him up and say he was a really good climber. Had to knock someone (me in this case) down a peg.

Huh? You're the one making the grossly arrogant and erroneous claim that you're "on the cusp" of being ready to lead the Bachar–Yerian. Since you are claiming to be a better climber than you are, any statement about the claim being false necessarily implies that you're not as good a climber as you think you are. If that offends you it is your own fault for having a grossly inflated opinion of your climbing ability.

In reply to:
I'm gonna guess your job either involves little interaction with people or enough interaction that it pisses you off and you take it out on others. That or you don't realise your backhanded comments make you sound like an ass.

This is the second blatant, false, and desperate ad hominem attack you've made against me in this thread. What you are doing is obvious: tying to deflect the criticism away from yourself, and onto me; trying to make me the subject of conversation, rather than attempt to defend your own arrogant claims and n00bris.

"Ad hominem: attacking an opponent's character rather than answering his argument."—Dictionary.com

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Nov 21, 2010, 6:19 PM)

MS1

Nov 21, 2010, 8:01 PM
Post #30 of 79 (10139 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just to give you a sense of the route's history:

http://www.supertopo.com/...id=1045687&tn=20

This is a route that spit off Wolfgang Gullich, and this was on the second (non-crux) pitch! This is a very different kind of "10d" than what you may be used to. Add the R/X consequences of fucking it up, and it makes for an extremely serious undertaking.

Ergo, people are making fun of you for having a casual attitude about one of the scariest climbs in California.

marc801

Nov 21, 2010, 9:38 PM
Post #31 of 79 (10121 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MS1] Video: Bachar-Yerian (Climbers: Andrew Rock & Jan McCollum) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MS1 wrote:
Ergo, people are making fun of you for having a casual attitude about one of the scariest climbs in California America.
Adjusted that for ya!

theguy

Nov 22, 2010, 12:20 AM
Post #32 of 79 (10084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
...Since you are claiming to be a better climber than you are, any statement about the claim being false necessarily implies that you're not as good a climber as you think you are. If that offends you it is your own fault for having a grossly inflated opinion of your climbing ability.

In reply to:
I'm gonna guess that...you don't realise your backhanded comments make you sound like an ass.

This is the second blatant, false, and desperate ad hominem attack you've made against me in this thread.

Jay

Nice job Jay, hoist by your own petard :)

Since you
a) claim that if one takes offense at accurate comments it is one's own fault (and presumably not due to an attack, ad hominem or otherwise),
b) take offense and claim an ad hominem attack

it follows that you believe the poster's guesses to be false, and therefore do "realise your backhanded comments make you sound like an ass."

Well, at least we're all on the same page now Unsure

jmeizis

Nov 22, 2010, 1:18 AM
Post #33 of 79 (10070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

This ain't debate team buddy. There's no winning here. If you actually read what I wrote I said 5.11a was at the edge of my comfort level for onsighting and that it'd be cool to check the route out (ie look at it). This was in response to someone saying that J.B. himself said it wasn't harder than 5.11a. When you asked if I seriously thought I was capable of leading it I said I might be near capable but definately not ready. That was a no in case you didn't catch it. Reading comprehension can be tricky. Also keep in mind I said might. I used that word specifically because I didn't know all that much about the route except that it was hard, historic, runout, and in Tuolumne. I've since then admitted that it's probably farther out of my league than I thought. If you want to debate whether I'm near capable of leading it then you're an idiot because "near capable" is a broad area.

You and all the other people who can't read decided you had to jump in and tell me how dumb I was for even thinking I had so much as a chance of leading it. Then I used the word "cusp" which you seem very focused on for some reason while in the same sentence I also said, "given what I know about the route". Basically admitting I knew little about how hard it actually may be. Grades are subjective so the original use of the word nearly was intentional in it's broadness.

Did I misuse the word "cusp", perhaps. Is the route so far out of my league to make it silly to think about it in the next few years. Eh, maybe. Do I pigeonhole myself as not good enough because so and so fell off of it or because some loser on the internet says I'm stupid for even considering it? No.

Even if I'd said it looks easy there's no need to get your lycra in a bunch. The nice thing about rock climbing is that you either have to put up or shut up. So even if I were dumb enough to go and do it tomorrow I wouldn't need your stupid comments to determine whether it was at the "cusp" of my ability. Climbing tends to self correct those who reach too far beyond what they should.

I know my abilities very well and regardless of whether I mispoke about being "near capable" of climbing it I'd know as soon as I looked at it in person how close or far it was from my abilities.

I don't need some egotistical sport climber who flails his way up 5.12 to tell me what I can and can't do. Get a life.

boulderkitty

Nov 22, 2010, 2:59 AM
Post #34 of 79 (10047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

great video!

jt512

Nov 22, 2010, 3:53 AM
Post #35 of 79 (10026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:
This ain't debate team buddy. There's no winning here. If you actually read what I wrote I said 5.11a was at the edge of my comfort level for onsighting and that it'd be cool to check the route out (ie look at it). This was in response to someone saying that J.B. himself said it wasn't harder than 5.11a. When you asked if I seriously thought I was capable of leading it I said I might be near capable but definately not ready. That was a no in case you didn't catch it. Reading comprehension can be tricky.

So can honesty, apparently. Let me clarify something that everybody on this website except you understands: you are not even remotely "near capable" of leading the Bachar–Yerian. It's not just out of your league, it's out of the league that's above your league, and the next league above that. The route gets done a few times a year by the world's elite trad climbers. It is a world-class trad test piece and you are no world-class trad climber.

In reply to:
You and all the other people who can't read decided you had to jump in and tell me how dumb I was for even thinking I had so much as a chance of leading it.

We can all read quite well, thank you. But perhaps you can't. We didn't say you were dumb; we said you were arrogant.

In reply to:
Then I used the word "cusp" which you seem very focused on for some reason while in the same sentence I also said, "given what I know about the route".

In other words, given your ignorance of the route, you might be on the cusp of leading it. Well, you can qualify any statement about anything you're ignorant of and make the vacuously true statement: Given my ignorance of X, I might be able to do X.

In reply to:
Is the route so far out of my league to make it silly to think about it in the next few years. Eh, maybe.

At least your trend of back pedaling is in the right direction. You've gone from "cusp" to "next few years."

In reply to:
Climbing tends to self correct those who reach too far beyond what they should.

And when the route is R/X, the correction can be permanent.

In reply to:
I know my abilities very well and regardless of whether I mispoke about being "near capable" of climbing it I'd know as soon as I looked at it in person how close or far it was from my abilities.

Instead of writing in paragraph after paragraph in post after post an unending string of ad hominem attacks that you hope will shift the focus of attention away from you, and back pedaling that you hope will be gradual enough enough to escape notice, wouldn't it be simpler and more honest to just admit that your original statement was wrong, and that you now realize that the route is way above your present abilities?

In reply to:
I don't need some egotistical sport climber who flails his way up 5.12 to tell me what I can and can't do. Get a life.

It is comical, given the claims you've made in this thread, that you accuse me of being egotistical. And, BTW, this "sport climber" has climbed harder trad than you for more years than you've been climbing in your entire paltry career.

Jay

billl7

Nov 22, 2010, 3:58 AM
Post #36 of 79 (10025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

High quality - thanks. for posting it.

MS1

Nov 22, 2010, 4:33 AM
Post #37 of 79 (10011 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Video: Bachar-Yerian (Climbers: Andrew Rock & Jan McCollum) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
MS1 wrote:
Ergo, people are making fun of you for having a casual attitude about one of the scariest climbs in California America.
Adjusted that for ya!

No quibbles here.

dynosore

Nov 22, 2010, 4:39 AM
Post #38 of 79 (10007 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MS1] Video: Bachar-Yerian (Climbers: Andrew Rock & Jan McCollum) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There's a big difference between being able to pull 5.11 moves and having the confidence and control to climb a route like B-Y. I max out at 5.11 sport on lead, that doesn't mean I'm able to do a route like B-Y. I've seen the route and there's no doubt in my mind it's waayy out of my league.

jmeizis

Nov 22, 2010, 5:19 AM
Post #39 of 79 (9993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Forgive me if I don't just take your word for it. Especially since you haven't climbed it. Honesty is only available in the light of actual facts. Having not climbed the route it's not yet a fact that I can't climb it. While it's highly likely that I can't, it is not yet a fact. Though I never said I could. Essentially the whole conversation about whether it is or is not near my abilities is stupid because until I try it there's no way to actually know, everything before that is simply predictions. The predictions might prove accurate but action has to actually be taken to prove them so.

Arrogant, dumb, the sentiment behind the words is similar enough that I don't feel the need to nitpick about it. Sounds like an ad hominem argument to me.

We already talked about the whole "cusp/near capable" thing. Indeed ignorance of something makes it pretty easy to claim the possible ability to handle it. You're begging the question. Just because several climbers who don't know me and have never seen me climb said I can't doesn't make it a fact. You're also appealing to a belief that because other climbers found it hard then it must in fact be too hard and scary for me. I passed philosophy 101 as well.

The correction can indeed be permanent. Never said I bought a plane ticket to go try it now did I?

As I've said several times previously, it's hard to admit to knowing anything useful about something that I don't have the opportunity to get a tangible grasp of. Looking at pictures, hearing descriptions and watching videos are not the same as actually standing at the bottom and looking at it. Like I said, gotta put up or shut up. My original statement could only be proven wrong by me going out and failing on the route. Since I like having the use of my legs there is no way to actually verify where it lies in relation to my current abilities. That's part of what makes climbing interesting is not knowing for sure if you can do a climb until you're clipping the anchors or standing at the top. We all have our expectations based on the info available. Given the info I had available when I first made the comment (a comment that was obviously not made with a great deal of knowledge of the route) it didn't seem like an arrogant comment. As new information has come to my attention I've altered the way I feel about the route. While I don't agree that it's leagues and leagues above me I have already admitted it's probably farther outside of my ability than I first thought watching the video. The pictures I've seen make it look much steeper and harder than the video you posted. Were I to stand underneath it I may feel it even further out of my grasp.

As for your climbing ability, somehow I doubt it. But since I haven't had the opportunity to climb with you it would be presumptuous of me to call bullshit. Intersting how you have no problem being so presumptuous. Considering how long I've been climbing in comparison to you I have little doubt in my mind that if I'm not a better climber than you already I will very likely surpass your best climbing years with relative ease.

jt512

Nov 22, 2010, 5:39 AM
Post #40 of 79 (9982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:
Having not climbed the route it's not yet a fact that I can't climb it. While it's highly likely that I can't, it is not yet a fact. Though I never said I could.

Quoted for posterity.

Jay

notapplicable

Nov 22, 2010, 5:53 AM
Post #41 of 79 (9977 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Video: Bachar-Yerian (Climbers: Andrew Rock & Jan McCollum) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
I don't need to see you climb to tell you that just from what I've read in this thread, you are nowhere near capable of leading this route.

Although I don't think anyone who has posted in this thread is either.

I for one think he can do it.

Jeremiah, don't listen to these guys, you can do anything you set your mind to. It'd be sweet if you didn't do a bunch of specialized training and beta research either, go old school with it. Just be sure to line up a cameraman because these guys will never take your word for it. That and the rest of us would definitely like to see the footage.

Get on that shit!

jmeizis

Nov 22, 2010, 5:56 AM
Post #42 of 79 (9974 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good for you.

jt512

Nov 22, 2010, 6:10 AM
Post #43 of 79 (9968 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Video: Bachar-Yerian (Climbers: Andrew Rock & Jan McCollum) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
I don't need to see you climb to tell you that just from what I've read in this thread, you are nowhere near capable of leading this route.

Jeremiah, don't listen to these guys, you can do anything you set your mind to. It'd be sweet if you didn't do a bunch of specialized training and beta research either, go old school with it. Just be sure to line up a cameraman because these guys will never take your word for it. That and the rest of us would definitely like to see the footage.

Get on that shit!

Not to disparage your post, as I can certainly sympathize with your sentiments, but I've tried my damnedest not to make the "you're right; go for it" post. After all, it's an R/X route that is orders of magnitude beyond this n00b's ability. However, I have to admit that the more he piles on the incessant ad hominem attacks the harder it is for me to resist making the "go for it" post. As awful as it is to admit, there might just be a level of abuse beyond which I'm willing to suggest that someone do something that could cost them life or limb that, out of there own ignorance and arrogance, they believe they are competent to do.

Jay

jmeizis

Nov 22, 2010, 6:41 AM
Post #44 of 79 (9963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Once again, there's a difference between a belief and reality. Just because I believe it is something I could do in the future doesn't mean I'd just go out there and do it without trying some of the other testpieces that probably come in line before it. What is it that makes you think you're so much better than everyone else?

Pretty sure the entire basis of your argument that I can't do it is just because you think I'm a noob, an ad hominem attack in itself. Maybe you should read my post above.

(This post was edited by jmeizis on Nov 22, 2010, 6:44 AM)

notapplicable

Nov 22, 2010, 6:51 AM
Post #45 of 79 (9957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
caughtinside wrote:

Get on that shit!

Not to disparage your post, as I can certainly sympathize with your sentiments, but I've tried my damnedest not to make the "you're right; go for it" post. After all, it's an R/X route that is orders of magnitude beyond this n00b's ability. However, I have to admit that the more he piles on the incessant ad hominem attacks the harder it is for me to resist making the "go for it" post. As awful as it is to admit, there might just be a level of abuse beyond which I'm willing to suggest that someone do something that could cost them life or limb that, out of there own ignorance and arrogance, they believe they are competent to do.

Jay

Ha!

I knew there was a warm and fuzzy teddy bear deep down inside of you just waiting to reach out and hug the world!

Ok, so I many have over sold it a bit but yeah, I admire your restraint in this case.

spikeddem

Nov 22, 2010, 4:10 PM
Post #46 of 79 (9930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:
Once again, there's a difference between a belief and reality. Just because I believe it is something I could do in the future doesn't mean I'd just go out there and do it without trying some of the other testpieces that probably come in line before it. What is it that makes you think you're so much better than everyone else?

Pretty sure the entire basis of your argument that I can't do it is just because you think I'm a noob, an ad hominem attack in itself. Maybe you should read my post above.

I cannot believe you're responding to anything that's been posted in this thread. You really don't need to defend yourself to any of these guys. I'm not saying they're wrong, but I just don't see why you'd defend your climbing level (or yourself) so vehemently to complete strangers. Chalk it all up to miscommunication and move on. Smile

Partner camhead

Nov 22, 2010, 4:11 PM
Post #47 of 79 (9927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:

According to Jan (Andrew's second), Andrew spent nine months of dedicated training to lead the Bachar–Yerian. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if I spent a full year of training dedicated to leading just that route that I could do it. You too, maybe in less time.

Jay

Caughtinside definitely has what it takes to climb B-Y. I mean, this is the guy who, in one day, sent the warmup at the WNSG! Free shoes!

jmeizis

Nov 22, 2010, 4:51 PM
Post #48 of 79 (9903 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Video: Bachar-Yerian (Climbers: Andrew Rock & Jan McCollum) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's less about the whole miscommunication thing and more about people telling others what they can and can't climb.

For someone, anyone, to talk down to other climbers just gets under my skin. It's one thing to caution someone and suggest they look into something like that a little more carefully. It's entirely different to basically berate them about how they have no idea what they're talking about.

I don't believe it to just be an annoyance, I think it's detrimental to the sport as a whole to have that elitist crap floating around. Not to say I'm without guilt but I don't make a habit of it.

(This post was edited by jmeizis on Nov 22, 2010, 5:16 PM)

redlude97

Nov 22, 2010, 5:11 PM
Post #49 of 79 (9889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:
It's less about the whole miscommunication thing and more about people telling others what they can and can't climb.

For someone, anyone, to talk down to other climbers just gets under my skin. It's one thing to caution someone and suggest they look into something like that a little more carefully. It's entirely different to basically berate them about how they have no idea what they're talking about.

I don't believe to just be an annoyance, I think it's detrimental to the sport as a whole to have that elitist crap floating around. Not to say I'm without guilt but I don't make a habit of it.
It is elitist to claim you are on the cusp of climbing the B-Y without having ever even seen it and only onsighting 5.11a sometimes....

jmeizis

Nov 22, 2010, 5:18 PM
Post #50 of 79 (9876 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] Video: Bachar-Yerian (Climbers: Andrew Rock & Jan McCollum) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

It's elitist for someone to say they might be close to being able to climb something? Well that pretty much encompasses everyone on this sight. Guess we're all guilty.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook