Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

codral

Nov 29, 2010, 7:19 AM
Post #1 of 33 (17010 views)
Shortcut

body building.. Climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey guys so i've been bouldering for 8 months and have improved a hell of alot and put on some muscle.. But i am 6 foot and weigh only 71kg's and it's starting to annoy me looking so thin.. I know that climbing is all about being thin but i climb to be fit so, i was wondering, if i get on a diet similar to a body builder, will i put on muscle or am i just looking at fat? I know that normal climbing is about endurance mainly and endurance muscles aren't big but i boulder and do alot of dyno's and normally power moves will build muscle.. And have seen lots of good climbers that don't just look anorexic..
So is there anyone on here that looks good, just from climbing or am i going to have to go to the gym as well? I'd love a ryan reynolds style build, roughly.. Will start going to the gym too if i can't put much muscle on climbing

Raiden

Nov 29, 2010, 7:55 AM
Post #2 of 33 (16992 views)
Shortcut

Re: [codral] body building.. Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Would you like to look like this?

jt512

Nov 29, 2010, 7:58 AM
Post #3 of 33 (16989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

codral wrote:
hey guys so i've been bouldering for 8 months and have improved a hell of alot and put on some muscle.. But i am 6 foot and weigh only 71kg's and it's starting to annoy me looking so thin.. I know that climbing is all about being thin but i climb to be fit so, i was wondering, if i get on a diet similar to a body builder, will i put on muscle or am i just looking at fat? I know that normal climbing is about endurance mainly and endurance muscles aren't big but i boulder and do alot of dyno's and normally power moves will build muscle.. And have seen lots of good climbers that don't just look anorexic..
So is there anyone on here that looks good, just from climbing or am i going to have to go to the gym as well? I'd love a ryan reynolds style build, roughly.. Will start going to the gym too if i can't put much muscle on climbing

Why are you ending your sentences with two periods?

Jay

codral

Nov 29, 2010, 11:32 AM
Post #4 of 33 (16954 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] body building.. Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

why are you concerned about grammar u toss pot

Lbrombach

Nov 29, 2010, 2:18 PM
Post #5 of 33 (16917 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

You're gonna need the regular gym too for that.

gerbil

Nov 29, 2010, 2:21 PM
Post #6 of 33 (16912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HGH

malcolm777b

Nov 29, 2010, 3:13 PM
Post #7 of 33 (16889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

codral wrote:

Climbing isn't about being thin. Climbing is about moving on rock. Having a high strength to weight ratio is helpful if you want to climb hard stuff. If you put on a bunch of muscle, you won't climb as hard as if you didn't, but climbing hard doesn't seem to be your primary goal.

You can look good only from climbing, but chances are that for the body type that you want, you'll need to hit the weights as well. I don't think that you should be thinking about a body builder's diet. Body builders eat tons of food to put on weight, and put on a lot of fat in the process only to strip it off through extremely hard work pre-competition. Many body builders (and all pro body builders) are on steroids, HGH, insulin, and all types of other drugs to make the most of those diets. Put together a good, balanced diet that is CLEAN, with a slight increase in protein if you're going to be hitting the weights.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Nov 29, 2010, 4:07 PM
Post #8 of 33 (16874 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

codral wrote:

I would like to point out that this sound almost like a threat.. Which is funny because you started the thread wondering how to get jacked..

xaniel2000

Nov 29, 2010, 4:33 PM
Post #9 of 33 (16862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

codral wrote:

You'll need to hit the regular gym too. At the very least you should be doing it for antagonistic muscles (e.g. chest, triceps, legs, etc) to prevent injury. But since it sounds like your goals are to gain muscle while staying lean, a "body builder's" diet combined with strength training (e.g. weights, cables, circuits, etc) would be an effective way of achieving your goals.

Having done this same plan last winter, I'll caution you to be careful of elbows, mine didn't enjoy the climbing + weight lifting regimen at first. Eventually they came around, but I had to ease into it over the course of several weeks. I still have to be careful with them during heavy climbing periods, as the combo of climbing and chest workouts (dumbbell bench press especially) will sore them up for days.

xaniel2000

Nov 29, 2010, 4:33 PM
Post #10 of 33 (16861 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] body building.. Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
codral wrote:

I would like to point out that this sound almost like a threat.. Which is funny because you started the thread wondering how to get jacked..

Seemed like an effective defense to me

jt512

Nov 29, 2010, 4:34 PM
Post #11 of 33 (16858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

codral wrote:

The question is, you fucking idiot, why don't you?

Jay

(*plonk*)

(This post was edited by jt512 on Nov 29, 2010, 4:37 PM)

Toast_in_the_Machine

Nov 29, 2010, 4:45 PM
Post #12 of 33 (16833 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xaniel2000] body building.. Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

xaniel2000 wrote:
codral wrote:

Seemed like an effective defense to me

Not really..I for one have found this two peiod thingie (a i-lips??) hot..It says "these thoughts really aren't disconected enough that they get the full trailing off of an elipse, but still more than the slight breathing pause of a normal period.

And.... (4 for an extra large pause)

Damn.. Paused so long I forgot my thought.

styndall

Nov 29, 2010, 4:51 PM
Post #13 of 33 (16829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

codral wrote:

Did you seriously call somebody a tosspot? Are you somehow posting from the year 1840?

That said, you're not likely to get a huge Ryan Reynolds build from climbing. If that's your goal, you should just google 'Ryan Reynolds Workout' - I'm sure there are tons of sites devoted to mimicking him.

(This post was edited by styndall on Nov 29, 2010, 4:51 PM)

Toast_in_the_Machine

Nov 29, 2010, 5:13 PM
Post #14 of 33 (16801 views)
Shortcut

Re: [styndall] body building.. Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

styndall wrote:
codral wrote:

Did you seriously call somebody a tosspot? Are you somehow posting from the year 1840?

If you note the location of the OP you will have your answer.

serpico

Nov 29, 2010, 6:23 PM
Post #15 of 33 (16747 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

styndall wrote:
codral wrote:

Toss-pot is still popular here in the UK as well, as is 'Tosser' and it's equivalent 'Wanker'.
All timeless classics.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Nov 29, 2010, 6:43 PM
Post #16 of 33 (16731 views)
Shortcut

Re: [serpico] body building.. Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

serpico wrote:
styndall wrote:
codral wrote:

Toss-pot is still popular here in the UK as well, as is 'Tosser' and it's equivalent 'Wanker'.
All timeless classics.

Hmmm.... I checked the official RC.com to UK speak and Toss-pot wasn't there:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=2074040#2074040

So I think you made those terms up.

Raiden

Nov 29, 2010, 8:20 PM
Post #17 of 33 (16687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tosspot

No dumber than any other British word I suppose
- like calling a roll of toilet paper a "bog roll" Laugh

xaniel2000

Nov 29, 2010, 8:37 PM
Post #18 of 33 (16672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
codral wrote:

The question is, you fucking idiot, why don't you?

Jay

(*plonk*)

why aren't you

(This post was edited by xaniel2000 on Nov 29, 2010, 8:37 PM)

Toast_in_the_Machine

Nov 29, 2010, 9:23 PM
Post #19 of 33 (16642 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Raiden] body building.. Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Raiden wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tosspot

No dumber than any other British word I suppose
- like calling a roll of toilet paper a "bog roll" Laugh

My post had a certain dry and subtle irony - no?

codral

Nov 29, 2010, 9:56 PM
Post #20 of 33 (16625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mate do you even climb? or are you like the thousands of other little posers that jump on a forum to start shit just to make themselves feel like a sick cunt

every time i see a post from you you're bagging someone, think you need to neck up u fkn parrot

codral

Nov 29, 2010, 9:58 PM
Post #21 of 33 (16622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

serpico wrote:
styndall wrote:
codral wrote:

All timeless classics.

And you are always there to stick up for this guy, are u like mates in real life and you've got this little thing going where you back each other up on forums, probably on a few different accounts, so it looks like someones agreeing with you at all times

Raiden

Nov 29, 2010, 10:01 PM
Post #22 of 33 (16615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lol yes I got it I just thought the wiki article was funny Tongue

Toast_in_the_Machine

Nov 29, 2010, 11:16 PM
Post #23 of 33 (16571 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

codral wrote:
serpico wrote:
styndall wrote:
codral wrote:

All timeless classics.

And you are always there to stick up for this guy, are u like mates in real life and you've got this little thing going where you back each other up on forums, probably on a few different accounts, so it looks like someones agreeing with you at all times

Which guy? I'm mates with onlly one person who posts here, and he rarerly posts here. In fact my "mate" doesn't often post because he didn't thought people were being less than kind. I thought they were being funny. I only have this one account. If someone agrees with me, it is purely accidental.

codral

Nov 30, 2010, 1:05 AM
Post #24 of 33 (16527 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xaniel2000] body building.. Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

xaniel2000 wrote:
codral wrote:

You'll need to hit the regular gym too. At the very least you should be doing it for antagonistic muscles (e.g. chest, triceps, legs, etc) to prevent injury. But since it sounds like your goals are to gain muscle while staying lean, a "body builder's" diet combined with strength training (e.g. weights, cables, circuits, etc) would be an effective way of achieving your goals.

Having done this same plan last winter, I'll caution you to be careful of elbows, mine didn't enjoy the climbing + weight lifting regimen at first. Eventually they came around, but I had to ease into it over the course of several weeks. I still have to be careful with them during heavy climbing periods, as the combo of climbing and chest workouts (dumbbell bench press especially) will sore them up for days.

Yeh i actually quit boxing (did it for 3 years) to take up climbing.. my shoulders were really starting to struggle with all the extra training and i was overboxing. I have done plenty of cutting and bulking before so the diet part i pretty much have down pat, routinely used to put on a heap then cut like crazy just before a fight

I will start at the gym again.. Wasn't sure if growth would be impeded because i'd be working both slow and fast twitch muscle groups, not so sure how that works.

I'll get on a little half hour 3 day split and start a bulking diet again and see how i go

styndall

Nov 30, 2010, 1:09 AM
Post #25 of 33 (16524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

codral wrote:
serpico wrote:
styndall wrote:
codral wrote:

All timeless classics.

There are actually only two people using these forums, and one of them is you.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook