Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Alpine & Ice:
Warm technical ice climbing boots under 450 bucks?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

deamicl

Dec 13, 2010, 5:04 PM
Post #1 of 14 (4991 views)
Shortcut

Warm technical ice climbing boots under 450 bucks?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Trying to find the warmest technical ice climbing boot I can for the money ....don't have much cash at the moment. I've done a few searches through the forums but most of the posts on boots are years old. An updated answer would be much appreciated.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone with experience with these two boots could tell me which is warmer: The La Sportiva Trango S EVO GTX or the 'Extreme Light' version. It seems that the trango S might be warmer being that they are heavier but these sort of variables can be a bit counter intuitive. I plan on doing ice climbing day trips but the areas i'll be frequenting might get as cold as 5 degrees. Are either of these two boots suitable for that weather?

Also, if you have better suggestions on warmer ice climbing boots for no more than 450 bucks let me know! Much appreciated.

georgeblakeman

Dec 13, 2010, 6:08 PM
Post #2 of 14 (4966 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deamicl] Warm technical ice climbing boots under 450 bucks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Extreme Evo is a warmer boot. And I am pretty sure that the S is actually the lighter of the two.

deamicl

Dec 13, 2010, 6:11 PM
Post #3 of 14 (4959 views)
Shortcut

Re: [georgeblakeman] Warm technical ice climbing boots under 450 bucks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

georgeblakeman wrote:
The Extreme Evo is a warmer boot. And I am pretty sure that the S is actually the lighter of the two.

Untrue. The 'Light' is rated at 3lbs 11oz while the standard trangos are 4lbs 5oz

georgeblakeman

Dec 13, 2010, 6:28 PM
Post #4 of 14 (4945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually look here:

http://www.sportiva.com/products/prod/274

States that the S weighs 26.17oz.

And:

http://www.sportiva.com/products/prod/336

States that the Extreme Evo weighs 30.51oz.

deamicl

Dec 13, 2010, 6:30 PM
Post #5 of 14 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Re: [georgeblakeman] Warm technical ice climbing boots under 450 bucks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Weird....backcountry.com's specs are wrong then... thanks!

georgeblakeman

Dec 13, 2010, 6:43 PM
Post #6 of 14 (4932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I own the Extreme Evo. It climbs very well and fits me ok. I have taken it below 10deg F, but if I climbed in weather that is consistently that cold I would buy a warmer boot (I live in Cali - mild winters). If money is an issue but you want warm feet, I might consider plastics. Certainly warmer and maybe heavier but price will be similar to the two boots you've mentioned. And, as always, I would recommend trying boots on first if possible.

Colinhoglund

Dec 13, 2010, 7:10 PM
Post #7 of 14 (4906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

deamicl wrote:
Trying to find the warmest technical ice climbing boot I can for the money ....don't have much cash at the moment. I've done a few searches through the forums but most of the posts on boots are years old. An updated answer would be much appreciated.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone with experience with these two boots could tell me which is warmer: The La Sportiva Trango S EVO GTX or the 'Extreme Light' version. It seems that the trango S might be warmer being that they are heavier but these sort of variables can be a bit counter intuitive. I plan on doing ice climbing day trips but the areas i'll be frequenting might get as cold as 5 degrees. Are either of these two boots suitable for that weather?

Also, if you have better suggestions on warmer ice climbing boots for no more than 450 bucks let me know! Much appreciated.

Howdy. Just so were clear the Trango 's' evo stands for super light and is a more flexible alpine boot for summer snow and Ice routes. Don't buy that as an ice boot, you will have cold feet and flamed calves post haste.

The Extreme evos have an entirely different sole construction made for full step in crampons. They're an excellent ice and mixed climbing boot, not super warm though. I'd echo that I probably wouldn't want to be out there for long below 10F. Leather boots I find are a bit warmer (less cooling from evaporation through leather then fabric boots, also less snow and ice buildup on surface to directly cool feet). If you can shell out and get leather if your worried about being warm. If really worried about the cold, get some double boots. $350-450 for plastic doubles is common. But the nicest are the new synthetic double boots, but they run above $550+ unfortunately (ie Phantom Guide and Bactra).

And finely, TRY THEM ON BEFORE BUYING! Don't cheap out and get them of the internet, support your local retailer by making use of a service they provide that the internet can't, trying them on.

Rudmin

Dec 13, 2010, 8:26 PM
Post #8 of 14 (4882 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just picked up a pair of once used Baruntses for $250. There is a ton of top of the line expedition gear out there that gets used once or never and then can be had for cheap. Just know your size in whatever boots you are looking for.

bearbreeder

Dec 13, 2010, 8:30 PM
Post #9 of 14 (4879 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nepal evos .... used em down to -10F

mr_rogers

Dec 13, 2010, 9:11 PM
Post #10 of 14 (4862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I assume that you are looking for your first ice climbing boot and probably don't need the absolute newest thing out there.

With that caveat, just get a pair of used plastic double boots from a shop with a consignment section. If there's no such shop near you, go with ebay.

My first pair of ice boots were a pair of used Koflach Para's that I got a for $30. After a few years I doubled their value with a new liner. For less than $100 I got a pair of boots that I used for 6 years and handled everything from ice cragging in NE to 20K in the andes.

EvilMonkey

Dec 14, 2010, 1:29 AM
Post #11 of 14 (4817 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mountaintools.com has the old la sportiva batura boots left in a few sizes on sale for $398. now that's a low price!

deamicl

Dec 15, 2010, 2:35 PM
Post #12 of 14 (4744 views)
Shortcut

Re: [EvilMonkey] Warm technical ice climbing boots under 450 bucks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks everyone for the good advice. I'll put it to good use.

Thanks.

herothezero

Dec 16, 2010, 3:30 PM
Post #13 of 14 (4690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out the Lowa Expert GTX. They're pretty nice.

brokesomeribs

Dec 18, 2010, 12:13 AM
Post #14 of 14 (4654 views)
Shortcut

Re: [EvilMonkey] Warm technical ice climbing boots under 450 bucks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

EvilMonkey wrote:
mountaintools.com has the old la sportiva batura boots left in a few sizes on sale for $398. now that's a low price!

The Batura is not particularly warm, not particularly durable (the zipper teeth break all the time), and not particularly appropriate for a new ice climber(super flexible ankle is great for hard gymnastic mixed climbing, but will fatigue a newer/weaker climber much quicker).

EDIT: typo

(This post was edited by brokesomeribs on Dec 18, 2010, 12:13 AM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook