Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Looking Glass Mileage!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

mike_devildog

Feb 16, 2011, 7:30 PM
Post #1 of 13 (6350 views)
Shortcut

Looking Glass Mileage!  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Western: Looking_Glass_Rock)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I understand that 475B is closed due to weather related issues(washout) I plan on driving down 475 and parking where the 475B closure begins, around the fish hatchery Im guessing.

My question..Does anyone have any mileage beta on how far and long the hike into the nose area will be and take?. I greatly appreciate it.

Partner j_ung

Feb 16, 2011, 8:14 PM
Post #2 of 13 (6334 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mike_devildog] Looking Glass Mileage! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Again? Didn't they just finish repairs last fall?

colatownkid

Feb 16, 2011, 8:52 PM
Post #3 of 13 (6311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mike_devildog wrote:
I understand that 475B is closed due to weather related issues(washout) I plan on driving down 475 and parking where the 475B closure begins, around the fish hatchery Im guessing.

My question..Does anyone have any mileage beta on how far and long the hike into the nose area will be and take?. I greatly appreciate it.

According to Google Maps, the distances to the trailheads seem to be about 1 mile, 2 miles, and 2.5 miles to the South Side, Nose, and North Side respectively from the fish hatchery (estimated location of trailheads based on topography). I'd give about 30 minutes for the South Side, an hour for the Nose, and 1:15 or so for the North Side, give or take. That all really depends on how motivated of a hiker you are, though. It's all uphill, but I'm sure you could do it faster.

http://maps.google.com/...595&t=p&z=15

jamatt

Feb 16, 2011, 9:37 PM
Post #4 of 13 (6290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i don't know the milage but there's a trail used to access the north face that be would begins just underneath sliding rock on 276. it takes some trail sense to find, but it goes pretty much directly to the cliff left far side of the north side.

(This post was edited by jamatt on Feb 16, 2011, 9:46 PM)

mike_devildog

Feb 16, 2011, 9:58 PM
Post #5 of 13 (6274 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank You..unfortunately the North Side is currently closed due to Peregrine nesting, of course this is where we planned our trip to climb The Womb..

but we will go and find something else, I greatly appreciate all the beta!

munky

Feb 16, 2011, 11:05 PM
Post #6 of 13 (6249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure exactly on the mileage but my guess is about an hour to reach the base of the Southface crags from the fish hatchery, about an hour and 15 to reach the Nose area. You might consider taking bikes to reach the trail head and then hike in from there.

clemsonscooby

Feb 17, 2011, 1:59 PM
Post #7 of 13 (6210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not all of the North Side is closed. Only the far right side, past the Glass Menagerie. Not that you would want to climb on that side this time of year anyways.

Yes, it takes about 30-45 minutes of easy hiking from the Fish Hatchery to get to the South Face trail. I would not advise going any further. It would take an extra hour to reach the Nose trail.

IsayAutumn

Feb 17, 2011, 2:45 PM
Post #8 of 13 (6197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mike_devildog wrote:

A friend and I are planning on driving to Looking Glass tomorrow. Our plans involved the north side, and we called ahead to a local climbing shop. They told us it was a six-mile hike in from the road closure to the north side. I'm not sure if that is true, but that's what we are planning for.

Have fun!

rock_fencer

Feb 17, 2011, 4:06 PM
Post #9 of 13 (6173 views)
Shortcut

Re: [IsayAutumn] Looking Glass Mileage! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

as a heads up both roads past the fish hatchery are closed. Approach for the north face must be done from 276. If you have mountian bikes then bring them and the approach from the fish hatchery is faster. You could also hike up from the hiking trailhead and rap in.

Like was said, only routes to climbers right of Glass Menagerie are closed on the north side.

Report back on conditions if you don t mind!

Have fun

IsayAutumn

Feb 17, 2011, 4:08 PM
Post #10 of 13 (6168 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rock_fencer] Looking Glass Mileage! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rock_fencer wrote:
as a heads up both roads past the fish hatchery are closed. Approach for the north face must be done from 276. If you have mountian bikes then bring them and the approach from the fish hatchery is faster. You could also hike up from the hiking trailhead and rap in.

Like was said, only routes to climbers right of Glass Menagerie are closed on the north side.

Report back on conditions if you don t mind!

Have fun

Do you or does anyone else have beta on how to find the trailhead from 276? Or where to park the car, for that matter?

colatownkid

Feb 17, 2011, 4:15 PM
Post #11 of 13 (6162 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Looking Glass Mileage! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
Again? Didn't they just finish repairs last fall?

I think they're just making this a regular thing...

colatownkid

Feb 17, 2011, 4:16 PM
Post #12 of 13 (6161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mike_devildog wrote:
Thank You..unfortunately the North Side is currently closed due to Peregrine nesting, of course this is where we planned our trip to climb The Womb..

but we will go and find something else, I greatly appreciate all the beta!

As noted above, since only routes right of Glass Menagerie are closed, you should be good to go. The Womb is well left of GM. However, the North Side is gonna be pretty cold this time of year, even with the good weather predicted for this weekend.

rock_fencer

Feb 17, 2011, 4:22 PM
Post #13 of 13 (6155 views)
Shortcut

Re: [IsayAutumn] Looking Glass Mileage! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

from what i know, you park at the sliding rock parking area, and there is supposed to be a trail about 100 yards below the slide.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook