RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Rmsyll2

Mar 3, 2011, 3:24 PM
Post #1 of 19 (2844 views)
Shortcut

Climbing as conquest
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I do and will climb only top-rope at only one area. Yesterday, I finally did the longest route at the top of my dependable ability. I then went back to one that has given me a lot of trouble, and sent it no big sweat, also trying a variation. I've done two rated at the next grade up, and can work repeatedly on one of them. To me, that is boring and mere exercise at the cost of too much driving and other trouble and expense and ever-present severe risks.

This has made me newly aware of challenge as the key to climbing. Without it, what do you feel there is about climbing to keep you going? I also have now felt at least a faint twinge of the elitist aspect of climbing, of more or less cheerfully looking down on lesser creatures. I wonder how much that is a reason others would keep climbing.

redonkulus

Mar 3, 2011, 3:38 PM
Post #2 of 19 (2829 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rmsyll2] Climbing as conquest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You should clarify something before people get the chance to jump all over you. That something is: Are you saying you only toprope? Or that you always lead, but that there is only one place where you toprope, an exception to the rule.

If you are only toproping, people will probably sneer/laugh at you for feeling slightly elitist. I might myself.

Also, if you are toproping, what severe risks could you possibly be talking about?

Oh, and one other thing, what on earth are you talking about? I get that it's maybe that you enjoy climbing stuff at your limit more than easy stuff? It's really convoluted though, and I'm not really sure what you mean.

Clear this stuff up to spare yourself the cries of "Troll" or "Noob."

dynosore

Mar 3, 2011, 3:58 PM
Post #3 of 19 (2806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Rmsyll2 wrote:
I do and will climb only top-rope at only one area. Yesterday, I finally did the longest route at the top of my dependable ability. I then went back to one that has given me a lot of trouble, and sent it no big sweat, also trying a variation. I've done two rated at the next grade up, and can work repeatedly on one of them. To me, that is boring and mere exercise at the cost of too much driving and other trouble and expense and ever-present severe risks.

This has made me newly aware of challenge as the key to climbing. Without it, what do you feel there is about climbing to keep you going? I also have now felt at least a faint twinge of the elitist aspect of climbing, of more or less cheerfully looking down on lesser creatures. I wonder how much that is a reason others would keep climbing.

You toprope...in NC.....and write barely intelligible posts. Who are these lesser creatures you're looking down on Shocked

lena_chita

Mar 3, 2011, 4:09 PM
Post #4 of 19 (2798 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Rmsyll2 wrote:

To me climbing is a personal challenge, not a conquest, or a contest. It's about pushing my personal limits and working towards accomplishing something that seemed hard or impossible when I first tried it, but became possible after working though it.

It is also about traveling, being in beautiful places, and enjoying the scenery and good company of my friends and climbing partners.

Challenge can mean different things. All things being equal, I don't consider toprope as challenging or as "real" climbing. Which doesn't mean that i have not, on some occasions, toproped something and felt challenged by it, and excited to be able to just get through the moves. Neither does it mean that I have not enjoyed an occasional day of just toproping, for one reason of another.

Just a quick note to you. When you flash something on a toprope, it is still just a toprope. Common convention uses the word flash only for lead climbing, not for toproping. So your climbing log is a bit misleading right now, though you do say that you toproped the climbs you claim to flash in the actual entries... No big deal. Just saying.

spikeddem

Mar 3, 2011, 4:11 PM
Post #5 of 19 (2793 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Climbing as conquest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
Rmsyll2 wrote:

You toprope...in NC.....and write barely intelligible posts. Who are these lesser creatures you're looking down on Shocked
Hahahahah

chadnsc

Mar 3, 2011, 4:46 PM
Post #6 of 19 (2763 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rmsyll2 wrote:

Personally I see climbing as an accomplishment, not a conquest. Like Lena has already said it's all about pushing personal boundaries.

mrtristan

Mar 3, 2011, 4:55 PM
Post #7 of 19 (2754 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rmsyll2 wrote:
This has made me newly aware of challenge as the key to climbing. Without it, what do you feel there is about climbing to keep you going?

I've been climbing for 15 years now. Is the personal challenge of it part of why I climb? Sure. But mostly I climb just because it's fun. If I only climbed 5.5s for the rest of my life, there wouldn't be much challenge there, but I'd still do it because it's fun.

swoopee

Mar 3, 2011, 5:08 PM
Post #8 of 19 (2741 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Climbing as conquest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
Rmsyll2 wrote:

Everyone in SC? Smile

rock_fencer

Mar 3, 2011, 5:22 PM
Post #9 of 19 (2729 views)
Shortcut

Re: [swoopee] Climbing as conquest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

whoa there fellas, whose ragging on SC now! Sure we usually come up to NC to climb, but we have our own cliffs too. Some of which rival any exposure and boldness found in NC!

i clearly think you meant florida!!

chadnsc

Mar 3, 2011, 5:27 PM
Post #10 of 19 (2724 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rock_fencer] Climbing as conquest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rock_fencer wrote:
whoa there fellas, whose ragging on SC now! Sure we usually come up to NC to climb, but we have our own cliffs too. Some of which rival any exposure and boldness found in NC!

i clearly think you meant florida Minnesota!!

Fixed that for ya. Trust me, I speak from personal experience. Unsure

dan2see

Mar 3, 2011, 6:55 PM
Post #11 of 19 (2673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The challenges are real alright. It's fun to attempt them, and great for the ego, too.

But my main motivator is: I love being up there.

blueeyedclimber

Mar 3, 2011, 7:28 PM
Post #12 of 19 (2648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rmsyll2 wrote:

Without it, what do you feel there is about climbing to keep you going? I also have now felt at least a faint twinge of the elitist aspect of climbing, of more or less cheerfully looking down on lesser creatures.

Congratulations! You have just discovered Spray.

Although, if I were you, I would not spray too loud about your "toprope conquests."Tongue

Josh

enigma

Mar 4, 2011, 8:03 AM
Post #13 of 19 (2571 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rock_fencer] Climbing as conquest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rock_fencer wrote:

Oh , I thought South Carolina was where Chris Sharma and Beth Rodden are having their South Carolina Red Rock Rendevous/ with beachside surfing and drinks for everyone. Only $49.00 per clinic Laugh

jbone

Mar 4, 2011, 10:14 AM
Post #14 of 19 (2559 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You've sent nothing.

"Elitist aspect of climbing" ???

What you've found is your inner douchbag but that's nothing special. Fortunately you will find many like minds within the climbing community, all of which consider themselves "elite" because they climbed a line someone else did before them.

Tripping Daisy, "Motivation", I am an Elastic Firecracker

Learn it, Love it, Live it!

healyje

Mar 4, 2011, 11:02 AM
Post #15 of 19 (2553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, you might want to consider dumping the [male] barbarian/gladiator/warrior deal given the only thing being 'conquered' is yourself, not the rock. It also might be helpful to think of it all from a somewhat different perspective.

You know how you do battle up a challenging line until you hit your absolute physical limit and then fall? Well, guess what? You weren't actually climbing anywhere remotely near your physical limit because 99.9% of the time you have been simply jumping off the route at your emotional limit which is nowhere near your true physical limit (which is very hard to consciously access on demand).

But anytime you push your typical emotional limit back in a noticable way it definitely feels like an accomplishment. And that's the name of the game - hanging in there an instant, a second, or five seconds longer next time - pushing back that emotional wall that's always bearing down on you. Not jumping off climbs is both a matter of acknowledging that's what you're doing and behaviorally training yourself (in baby steps) to just stick it out a tiny bit longer each time.

Don't believe me? Next time you feel yourself about to jump off a route try asking yourself if you can muster up whatever it takes to bust another a second or two's effort into before you do. And when you do come off, get honest with yourself and ask, "...did I really fall? Or did I give up and jump?"

(This post was edited by healyje on Mar 4, 2011, 11:58 AM)

Rudmin

Mar 4, 2011, 2:54 PM
Post #16 of 19 (2514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's not about conquest, it's about hugging the mountain, enveloping that mountain, to make love to it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2ftCitvyQ

redonkulus

Mar 4, 2011, 3:39 PM
Post #17 of 19 (2489 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rudmin] Climbing as conquest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Epic.

rock_fencer

Mar 4, 2011, 4:59 PM
Post #18 of 19 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Climbing as conquest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
rock_fencer wrote:

Oh , I thought South Carolina was where Chris Sharma and Beth Rodden are having their South Carolina Red Rock Rendevous/ with beachside surfing and drinks for everyone. Only $49.00 per clinic Laugh

We may not have Red Rocks or any famous climbers from here but we have cliffs that look like this
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/5014512-md.jpg amongst other things. All the climbing in SC is adventure climbing and not some bolted sport crag. Just saying don't knock it till you try it

TheBishop

Mar 4, 2011, 7:42 PM
Post #19 of 19 (2429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As stated before, much of the climbing community views top roping as a minuscule baby step towards the "real"sport of lead climbing. However, if you are so determined to only top rope climb at one crag, you have created your own dead-end. There is nothing further for you to do if you do not venture out to other climbing areas or climbing styles. If you are getting bored, it's your own fault for severely limiting your climbing possibilities. I encourage you to at least find another climbing area with more challenging top ropes so that you can push your limits within the familiar realm of top rope climbing.

And I do believe there is a certain aspect or feeling of conquest in climbing. To know that you have physically and mentally overcome a route you once found challenging. Yet, it is a personal conquest. I have not defeated the rock. I have overcome my personal limitations and pushed myself physically, mentally, and sometimes even spiritually. I have overcome myself. It is a very rewarding experience for me to red point a route I have been working on. Or in your case, to send the top rope problem that had once given you trouble. But what I find most exciting about getting that red point is I know there is always a harder route. If not bound so tightly, like you have done, the possibilities in climbing are nearly infinite.

Edit: And I am not even going to comment on your feeling of elitism.

(This post was edited by TheBishop on Mar 4, 2011, 7:46 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook