Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
winter climbing in TN?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

chillyweather

Dec 28, 2002, 8:19 PM
Post #1 of 14 (3408 views)
Shortcut

winter climbing in TN?  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Salt_Lake_-_Utah_Counties: Rock_Canyon: Bolt_Slab_West_Face)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm planning a climbing trip for the first week in January, and i was wondering where is a good place to sport climb in the winter around chattanooga? I'm up in KY now, bouldering, and freezing my fingers off! I've heard of Foster's Falls and Sandrock, AL, but don't know how warm they'll be in the winter. Any help? Also, is there a climbing guide for the area?

climbchick

Dec 28, 2002, 10:39 PM
Post #2 of 14 (3408 views)
Shortcut

winter climbing in TN? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Foster Falls faces primarily south so it's a good winter place. Get the Dixie Cragger's Atlas by Chris Watford -- it covers Tennessee, Alabama, and Georgia.

edit -- forgot to say that Obed/Clear Creek is probably closer to you (west of Knoxville). Try PMing tenn_dawg, he'll give you lotsa beta and maybe a tour.

[ This Message was edited by: climbchick on 2002-12-28 14:42 ]

powers

Dec 28, 2002, 11:15 PM
Post #3 of 14 (3408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The tierrany area at the obed is good to climb out when it is cold out. if the sun is shining you can climb there when its 30 outside.Sand rock can be warm too. Twall is great mostly trad with a few sport. Hp40 for great bouldering,those slopers are better in the cold anyway.but i am from indiana so i think 40 is balmy for winter climbing.

chillyweather

Dec 29, 2002, 3:35 AM
Post #4 of 14 (3408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the beta guys. Looks like some nasty weather is coming up for Tenn. next weekend, but we'll brave it and see what happens!

farmerc

Dec 29, 2002, 4:51 AM
Post #5 of 14 (3408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey all,
I am hoping to go climbing over my spring break in mid-march, and I was wondering if the T-wall would be warm enough. I have never been to Tenessee, so please forgive my ignorance.
I know they aren't that close to Tenessee, but does anybody know what the weather would be like for Old Rag in Virginia or Linville Gorge in NC at that time of year. If anybody can help me out i'd be much obliged. G'night!
~Chris

chillyweather

Dec 29, 2002, 5:01 AM
Post #6 of 14 (3408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I live close to linville gorge, and I've seen a foot of snow fall over spring break before. If you're lucky there might be a few warm days in march though, and the climbing could be nice.... its kinda hit and miss...

farmerc

Dec 29, 2002, 5:04 AM
Post #7 of 14 (3408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks chilly,
Maybe T-wall will be a little more of a sure thing. Unfortunately, there just isn't enought multipitch trad in the south.
~Chris

bouldertoad

Dec 29, 2002, 6:21 AM
Post #8 of 14 (3408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Old rag may or may not be nice depending on the rain factor that time of year. If it is not raining there are plenty of routes that will get the sun. I have climbed there in January in 35 degree weather in just a long sleeve t-shirt so there is definitely good climbing to be had. Let me know exactly when you will be going and maybe I can tag along.

agentoffortune

Dec 29, 2002, 6:51 AM
Post #9 of 14 (3408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

T-Wall in Chattanooga. South facing wall so the sun is on it all day, making the rock just right. Trail isn't the best but it's my favorite place to climb.

smithclimber

Dec 29, 2002, 7:24 AM
Post #10 of 14 (3408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Farmerc, T-wall should be just fine in March.
We climbed there today and I could have put the shorts on. March shouldn't give you ANY troubles. If fact, by March several other crag options should be available to you as well.

Cheers, Wes

climbchick

Dec 30, 2002, 4:02 PM
Post #11 of 14 (3408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

farmerc, if you want multipitch, check out Tallulah Gorge, in Georgia. It's about 3 hours from T-Wall and well worth the drive. There are a few routes in the DB here and there's also good info in the Dixie Cragger's Atlas.

jcclimbs

Dec 30, 2002, 11:25 PM
Post #12 of 14 (3408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

famerc,
The south face of Whitesides in NC is like a Dutch oven and is often warm enough to climb when there is ice on the north side. (In fact, this last Sat. I did an NEI4 ice climb on the NE face and then a 10 pitch rock route on the S. face). It's also open year round now east of the route New Diversions. (The routes to the west are closed Jan. 15-July 1 for the damn peregrines.) Of course, the S Face has a nasty reputation for runouts, but it's not too bad. Really.

uncle_big_green

Jan 1, 2003, 9:32 PM
Post #13 of 14 (3408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Farmerc and Chillyweather,

you guys could do a loop around the SE that includes Whitesides, Tallulah Gorge and T-Wall. T-Wall is by far the best crag I have visited (so far). All of these places are south facing and you could be in shorts and tee shirts in March.

Oh yeah Farmerc, you should include Shortoff Mtn., which is part of Linville Gorge, on your list. It IS the best area there.

E-mail or PM me with types and difficulty of climbs you want to do. I'll provide a list of good routes and logistical info.

jen_c

Jan 3, 2003, 3:19 PM
Post #14 of 14 (3408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I second Shortoff Mtn - an absolutely wonderful place to climb - great rock, multi-pitch trad, beautiful scenery. Just beware of the descent gully - it can be a bit scarry!!!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook