Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

gblauer

Mar 18, 2011, 8:34 PM
Post #29 of 41 (3746 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kovacs69] Carrying On Climbing Equip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I consider myself an "expert" flyer, as I travel by plane 4 days per week. I have almost 3 million miles on one carrier.

I always carry my climbing gear on board (I check my clothing if I have a bag limitation). I want my gear, I can always purchase clothing. I have never had an issue at security. The only item that TSA doesn't seem to like is a nut tool. if you call it a "tool" they will make you check it. If you call it something else (and show them it's not sharp) they generally let you carry it on. I also carry a Climbing magazine so that I can show them why I am carrying this type of equipment.

I do think you should arrive early, expect to be "inspected" and quietly comply. Give yourself time to shove everything back into your pack with out risk of missing your flight.

Have fun!

Arrogant_Bastard

Mar 18, 2011, 8:42 PM
Post #30 of 41 (3740 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Carrying On Climbing Equip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
I consider myself an "expert" flyer, as I travel by plane 4 days per week. I have almost 3 million miles on one carrier.

You're killing the environment!!!!!11

gblauer

Mar 18, 2011, 9:27 PM
Post #31 of 41 (3713 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] Carrying On Climbing Equip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It's also killing me.

TarHeelEMT

Mar 18, 2011, 10:02 PM
Post #32 of 41 (3705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kovacs69 wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
You finding only old topics relates to the fact that it is an old topic.

Regardless, I've flown with triples up to #3. At the #4 size I decided to check. Checked the rope too. Checked the chalk bag, but not the shoes (think about what you REALLY would not want to be without if it gets lost). Included a torn out gear advertisement from a climbing magazine next to the carry-on trad gear.

I don't really pack it any differently . . .

I don't know if they've even ever sent it through the machine twice, nor have I ever had to explain the gear. That being said, I'm a 22 year-old white male.

In this ever-changing world of air travel and airport security how can this be an "old topic"? The rules can and do change everyday. I was just trying to get a feel how thing have been recently not how they were in 2002. That said thanks for your input on what you check and what you carry-on. I am not quite sure about the "22 year-old white male" comment...were you looking for a date?

JB

I posted updates on one of the old threads just a few months ago. Look at the last post when you do a search, not the first post.

kovacs69

Mar 18, 2011, 10:57 PM
Post #33 of 41 (3694 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TarHeelEMT] Carrying On Climbing Equip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
I posted updates on one of the old threads just a few months ago. Look at the last post when you do a search, not the first post.

I looked through a bunch of the threads and couldn't find what I was looking for or the thread was just too old. What we really need to do is start a new thread each climbing season or year and title it something like "Flying with Your Gear in 2011" and then lock the others and delete the really old ones so when you do a search it will come up in the top of the results.

JB

spikeddem

Mar 19, 2011, 3:01 AM
Post #34 of 41 (3672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

kovacs69 wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:

I looked through a bunch of the threads and couldn't find what I was looking for or the thread was just too old. What we really need to do is start a new thread each climbing season or year and title it something like "Flying with Your Gear in 2011" and then lock the others and delete the really old ones so when you do a search it will come up in the top of the results.

JB

Why? Seriously. It hasn't changed.

potreroed

Mar 20, 2011, 2:28 AM
Post #35 of 41 (3654 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ENARE] Carrying On Climbing Equip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ENARE wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
I saw something in the news the other day about a guy they detained because he tried to sneak a couple biners through.

*You mispelled Beaners

Sly but you misspelled misspell!

kachoong

Mar 20, 2011, 2:16 PM
Post #36 of 41 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] Carrying On Climbing Equip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

potreroed wrote:
ENARE wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
I saw something in the news the other day about a guy they detained because he tried to sneak a couple biners through.

*You mispelled Beaners

Sly but you misspelled misspell!

Heh!

dindolino32

Mar 20, 2011, 5:03 PM
Post #37 of 41 (3634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I carried on some gear last year. This is what I did. Clip 5 biners to 1 biner so that it was a bulky piece. If you chain them together it will make them think you can use it like a chain, and that supposedly looks bad. Second, I took one biner off my quickdraws. I then stuffed all my webbing and and slings in a harness bag. I didnt my nut tool and nuts were bound together to keep the wires straight and the cams were dispersed unlinked. They let me through and just let me pack my gear out of the gray bins. I am also a White Male. I still would bring a climbing mag so they have pictures.

SlacklifeNC

Feb 29, 2012, 1:02 PM
Post #38 of 41 (3241 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ENARE] Carrying On Climbing Equip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ENARE wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:

*You mispelled Beaners

You misspelled *Biners. It's carabiner, not carabeaner. You also misspelled *misspelled, but hey, at least you got "You" right.

blueeyedclimber

Feb 29, 2012, 2:13 PM
Post #39 of 41 (3230 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SlacklifeNC] Carrying On Climbing Equip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

SlacklifeNC wrote:
ENARE wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:

*You mispelled Beaners

You misspelled *Biners. It's carabiner, not carabeaner. You also misspelled *misspelled, but hey, at least you got "You" right.

The only thing funnier than someone correcting someone's spelling with misspelled words is someone correcting THEM a year later Cool

Josh

jt512

Feb 29, 2012, 5:20 PM
Post #40 of 41 (3203 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SlacklifeNC] Carrying On Climbing Equip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

SlacklifeNC wrote:
ENARE wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:

*You mispelled Beaners

You misspelled *Biners.

*whoosh*

ecade

Feb 29, 2012, 8:03 PM
Post #41 of 41 (3178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Didn't have time to read the entire thread,

I flew Toronto-->Laguardia-->Las Vegas and
Las Vegas --> Cleveland --> Toronto

Flew with my cams and nuts, left other gear in checked bag. Spoke with TSA authorities at each airport prior to my trip and was told that itwas not a problem.

But of course they always add in that each TSA officer has a certain amount of discretion etc....

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook