Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

AamClimber

Mar 24, 2011, 12:38 PM
Post #1 of 56 (21387 views)
Shortcut

Ankle weights and rock climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been wondering for a while if wearing ankle weights while rock climbing is helpful in improving your climb or is it just more trouble than its worth.
=)
Thanks.

sungam

Mar 24, 2011, 1:08 PM
Post #2 of 56 (21375 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AamClimber] Ankle weights and rock climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Meh, I tried it for a while on steep ground to help train body tension. I definitely felt it in the "core" (that one guy shitz pants in rage!!!) a fair amount, but mostly it was just annoying so I took them off.

csproul

Mar 24, 2011, 1:26 PM
Post #3 of 56 (21359 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

AamClimber wrote:
I've been wondering for a while if wearing ankle weights while rock climbing is helpful in improving your climb or is it just more trouble than its worth.
=)
Thanks.
Sounds like a terrible idea to me. If you really believe that adding weight is a good way to train, at least add it so that it does not alter your center of gravity.

jupiter

Mar 24, 2011, 2:30 PM
Post #4 of 56 (21314 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (9 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've always thought that using a chain mail suit would evenly distribute the weight across the entire body, making every movement more difficult
I would call it TRAIN MAIL.
Attachments: train mail.jpg (26.2 KB)

gmggg

Mar 24, 2011, 2:38 PM
Post #5 of 56 (21308 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Ankle weights and rock climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
AamClimber wrote:
=)
Thanks.
Sounds like a terrible idea to me. If you really believe that adding weight is a good way to train, at least add it so that it does not alter your center of gravity.

I would imagine that altering your center of gravity would be the whole point of ankle weights. Juggy V2/3 roofs to help with core strength and body tension.

It surely wouldn't help beyond that specific benefit though.

viciado

Mar 24, 2011, 2:52 PM
Post #6 of 56 (21300 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree that while ankle weights might make you work harder, they are not likely to help you make significant improvement to your climbing. Most training programs specific to climbing teach you to focus on body movement and awareness of your center of gravity. By adding ankle weights, you will be training movement with a cog that is different from what it will be when you are climbing for performance. You will most likely get more out of doing 4x4s or "laps" (see SCC or other training manuals) on the wall than by adding weight(s) to your feet..

flesh

Mar 24, 2011, 6:17 PM
Post #7 of 56 (21209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AamClimber wrote:
=)
Thanks.

I'm personally a big believer in weighted climbing. I've been doing it for a few months now. I would suggest a weight vest though. Just google it. You'll find ergonomic, comfortable weight vests for around 200.00.

Get one that can range from 5-20lbs and you can exchange the weight quickly.

Not many people use them. Where I think they come in handy is as a training tool that allows one to climb an easier grade while still getting stronger. As you climb higher grades the holds get smaller. The smaller the hold, the more likely you are to get injured from it. Instead of climbing on smaller holds as you improve, mix it up and just add weight. I do this with campusing and bouldering.

For example, if you boulder v6, and you've done most of the v5/v6 boulder problems at your gym, instead of hopping on the v7 or 8's, add ten lbs and try to repeat all the v5's and v6's. I'm not saying do this all the time but as a way to mix up your training. Generally speaking the v5 and 6 will have more finger friendly holds than the v7 and 8's. However by adding weight, the easier climbs may be just as diffcult while giving your fingers a break from the stresses of climbing on smaller holds.

When adding weight, I suggest climbing boulder problems that are finger friendly by nature, like slopers and pinches, not holds that are small and crimpy, focus on open handed holds.

potreroed

Mar 24, 2011, 6:52 PM
Post #8 of 56 (21191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I found weighted training to be beneficial, but not around my ankles. I took my ankle weights, hooked them together and tied them around my waist.

michael1245

Mar 24, 2011, 7:19 PM
Post #9 of 56 (21177 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] Ankle weights and rock climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

potreroed wrote:
I found weighted training to be beneficial, but not around my ankles. I took my ankle weights, hooked them together and tied them around my waist.

yes. I like this.

jt512

Mar 24, 2011, 8:25 PM
Post #10 of 56 (21154 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AamClimber wrote:
=)
Thanks.

It's a terrible idea, as is any weighted climbing, unless possibly you are climbing at a very advanced level. There is body of sport science literature that shows how this sort of weight training wreaks havoc on your technique, which is what you ought to be concentrating on learning, not impeding. I'm assuming you are not a very advanced climber.

Jay

flesh

Mar 24, 2011, 10:37 PM
Post #11 of 56 (21116 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Ankle weights and rock climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
AamClimber wrote:
=)
Thanks.

It's a terrible idea, as is any weighted climbing, unless possibly you are climbing at a very advanced level. There is body of sport science literature that shows how this sort of weight training wreaks havoc on your technique, which is what you ought to be concentrating on learning, not impeding. I'm assuming you are not a very advanced climber.

Jay

I agree, it's just silly to do weight training if your below around 5.12 or v6..... Just climb and have fun, get mileage.

enigma

Mar 25, 2011, 6:05 AM
Post #12 of 56 (21067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AamClimber wrote:
=)
Thanks.

I wouldn't recommend climbing with ankle weights.

However I've climbed outside several times with a backpack on during multi-pitches, so preparation could be helpful in those circumstances.
Getting used to the extra weight as well as certain moves in tight areas such as off-widths or chimneys.

Partner jammer

Apr 3, 2011, 8:23 PM
Post #13 of 56 (20838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AamClimber wrote:
=)
Thanks.
If you have the gear, climb sport with a full trad rack. This will help you when you climb trad as much as it will help you with technique, learning how to maneuver all that gear out of your way while going from one move to the next.

jt512

Apr 3, 2011, 9:06 PM
Post #14 of 56 (20820 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jammer] Ankle weights and rock climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jammer wrote:
AamClimber wrote:
=)
Thanks.
If you have the gear, climb sport with a full trad rack. This will help you when you climb trad as much as it will help you with technique . . .

True enough.

Jay

onceahardman

Apr 4, 2011, 12:28 AM
Post #15 of 56 (20764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
AamClimber wrote:
=)
Thanks.

Jay

Very interesting. I'd really like to read about it. Could you share some, please?

ceebo

Apr 4, 2011, 1:11 AM
Post #16 of 56 (20749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

A unorthodox approach is to do easy none dynamic vert routes/traverse with 1 finger from each hand, apart from pinky. You can do a single route and alternate between the 3 fingers or do a single finger type per route, not on big walls thougjh. The ring finger feels really uncomfortable at first.. but relaxing the middle finger helps allot.

It probably has injury potential if you do it wrong perhaps even if you do it right. But that is your choice to make. On jugs, instead of putting a finger as far in as you can, just rest the first finger pad on the top lip of the jug. This makes it almost impossible for you to ''power'' up on a single finger and shock load it. If you fail to use good lower body weight shift and initiation your finger will simply slip off avoiding injury. Alternatively you can use 2 fingers per hand, but that to me comes with the risk of being able to power your way up.

I initially done it with the intention of making my endurance training more interesting. It turned out to be very helpful for cog awareness and balance, and It also gives ridicules open hand strength gains.

Oh, btw.. by using 1 finger and its pad.. it does force you to stick really close to the wall so that you can get under the hold. that gives more friction on the finger. Mostly with ought that, you will fall off.

(This post was edited by ceebo on Apr 4, 2011, 1:24 AM)

flesh

Apr 4, 2011, 4:12 AM
Post #17 of 56 (20725 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] Ankle weights and rock climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
A unorthodox approach is to do easy none dynamic vert routes/traverse with 1 finger from each hand, apart from pinky. You can do a single route and alternate between the 3 fingers or do a single finger type per route, not on big walls thougjh. The ring finger feels really uncomfortable at first.. but relaxing the middle finger helps allot.

It probably has injury potential if you do it wrong perhaps even if you do it right. But that is your choice to make. On jugs, instead of putting a finger as far in as you can, just rest the first finger pad on the top lip of the jug. This makes it almost impossible for you to ''power'' up on a single finger and shock load it. If you fail to use good lower body weight shift and initiation your finger will simply slip off avoiding injury. Alternatively you can use 2 fingers per hand, but that to me comes with the risk of being able to power your way up.

I initially done it with the intention of making my endurance training more interesting. It turned out to be very helpful for cog awareness and balance, and It also gives ridicules open hand strength gains.

Oh, btw.. by using 1 finger and its pad.. it does force you to stick really close to the wall so that you can get under the hold. that gives more friction on the finger. Mostly with ought that, you will fall off.

I must say that IMHO this is very dangerous. Many climbers have suffered long lasting injuries from monos... I would never suggest to anyone but the best of the best to climb a entire route of monos and even if they were the best of the best... it would only be to train for something like action directe, a diffifcult mono/two finger route.

I'm not saying that it couldn't get you stronger but it's horrible advice for a begginner for sure and I still wouldn't suggest it for anyone. Mono's along with micro crimps should be done in severe moderation. There are plenty of other proven, safer, ways to get strong. Nothing slow you down more than injuries. You've got to stay in the game and this is just scary advice bro!

jbro_135

Apr 4, 2011, 10:59 AM
Post #18 of 56 (20683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
a ceebo post

nope don't do this

ceebo

Apr 4, 2011, 12:39 PM
Post #19 of 56 (20671 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flesh] Ankle weights and rock climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

flesh wrote:
ceebo wrote:

I must say that IMHO this is very dangerous. Many climbers have suffered long lasting injuries from monos... I would never suggest to anyone but the best of the best to climb a entire route of monos and even if they were the best of the best... it would only be to train for something like action directe, a diffifcult mono/two finger route.

I'm not saying that it couldn't get you stronger but it's horrible advice for a begginner for sure and I still wouldn't suggest it for anyone. Mono's along with micro crimps should be done in severe moderation. There are plenty of other proven, safer, ways to get strong. Nothing slow you down more than injuries. You've got to stay in the game and this is just scary advice bro!

In the context you suggest i quite agree, not what i meant though. However, i would think that ''new'' climbers adding 20 lb weight vests and powering their way through routes (with the occasional crimp) is going to be more dangerous. Purely for the fact that they are able to use all fingers and hold on until they reach peak pressures under bad footwork.

Yeah my suggestion takes a certain level of body feed back awareness, perhaps i wrongfully credit people with having that. But the point is, technique is the limiting factor in what i posted. With only having 1 single finger pad per hold, it is highly unlikely they will be able to put down any kind of injury force before slipping off under poor footwork. The only way to climb like this is to stick very close to the wall (provided you stick to what i suggested), and use very good lower body movement. The fingers will only play the role of keeping you close to the wall. It also adds a certain level of caution, and makes you really respect your body in every move.

If you can think of it as a movement drill, rather than a finger building drill.. it makes more sense. Although undoubtedly fingers do get stronger. I am not a world class climber, and i certainly do not see my self as injury immune.. yet my fingers have never ever got hurt in any of my ''dangerous'' activity's. I would actually argue those are the reason why they have not got injured, and have got so strong.

(This post was edited by ceebo on Apr 4, 2011, 12:46 PM)

jbro_135

Apr 4, 2011, 1:18 PM
Post #20 of 56 (20657 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What happens when your foot pops off and you suddenly add an extra hundred pounds or more to your single fingers?

ceebo

Apr 4, 2011, 1:37 PM
Post #21 of 56 (20649 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbro_135] Ankle weights and rock climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jbro_135 wrote:
What happens when your foot pops off and you suddenly add an extra hundred pounds or more to your single fingers?

Sticking to what i specified, impossible. You would have to be so strong.. that you are campusing 1/4 inch rails 3 finger open handed doubles, just to get close to holding what you imagine. But then i doubt you will credit me with enough respect to work out why.

But well, i guess ill take a pop at it. If you done the same with 4 fingers, the smallest finger (say the index in this case, as the pinky may just sp off) will reach its maximum load before the other fingers.. so what happens their, is the other fingers force the index to remain at full stretch (or full load). Perhaps you can work out the rest yourself. Or even, the smaller fingers force the bigger fingers into a more dangerous angle.. it could go either way i guess.

(This post was edited by ceebo on Apr 4, 2011, 2:03 PM)

shotwell

Apr 4, 2011, 1:45 PM
Post #22 of 56 (20642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
jbro_135 wrote:

Sticking to what i specified, impossible. You would have to be so strong.. that you are campusing 1/4 inch rails 3 finger open handed doubles, just to get close to holding what you imagine. But then i doubt you will credit me with enough respect to work out why.

I've personally popped my feet on a single pad mono and managed to hang on. The additional load caused some serious pain and swelling with an eventual diagnosis of a partially ruptured pulley. I never campused, or trained on a hang board. Was I strong enough to do what you say? Doubtful.

Your 'training methods' are dangerous and irresponsible to discuss. Between 'free soloing' in a gym, your horrible dynamic belay advice, and now this, I'd suggest beginners ignore your advice outright. You can feel free to continue to court disaster in your own climbing, but suggesting that others try these methods is far more than irresponsible; it is morally reprehensible to do so.

To the OP; if you're looking for better ways to train core strength, consider the books How to Climb 5.12 by Horst or The Self Coached Climber by Hunter. Both are good training tools, though I prefer Hunter's book.

ceebo

Apr 4, 2011, 1:59 PM
Post #23 of 56 (20635 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shotwell] Ankle weights and rock climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shotwell wrote:
ceebo wrote:
jbro_135 wrote:

I've personally popped my feet on a single pad mono and managed to hang on. The additional load caused some serious pain and swelling with an eventual diagnosis of a partially ruptured pulley. I never campused, or trained on a hang board. Was I strong enough to do what you say? Doubtful.

And how many fingers on your other hand?, do you think that had no play in it?. Further more, what performance level was it at?, what wall angle?. None of witch is close to what i am saying.

Even so, you fail to see how it was your own fault in the first place for trying to stick it. That is down to your own lack of respect for your body, don't pass that blame onto me.

(This post was edited by ceebo on Apr 4, 2011, 2:16 PM)

jbro_135

Apr 4, 2011, 3:22 PM
Post #24 of 56 (20591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So I should train myself to fall off whenever something is hard to hold? More brilliant advice.

shotwell

Apr 4, 2011, 3:44 PM
Post #25 of 56 (20580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
shotwell wrote:
ceebo wrote:
jbro_135 wrote:

And how many fingers on your other hand?, do you think that had no play in it?. Further more, what performance level was it at?, what wall angle?. None of witch is close to what i am saying.

Even so, you fail to see how it was your own fault in the first place for trying to stick it. That is down to your own lack of respect for your body, don't pass that blame onto me.

Performance level is inconsequential. Your suggestion is to make things harder, then fall off when they feel hard. To paraphrase, I should make a 5.8 feel like 5.12, then let go when it does. How does this teach you to improve?

I had a two finger pocket with my other hand. I didn't make a choice to hold on or not, excepting the fact that I put my fingers in these pockets. They were both sharp on the outside, not holds you just fall out of.

So here's an opportunity for you. Spray me down with the improvements you've seen from your training regimen. Are you a super strong leader? Bouldering drastically better than before? Either put up, or shut up. For anyone looking to make measurable improvement through a proven system, check out The Self Coached Climber. Don't fall for this insanity.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook