Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Recovering from hip injury - need easy approach recommendations
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

cliffmama

Mar 31, 2011, 1:47 AM
Post #1 of 6 (2541 views)
Shortcut

Recovering from hip injury - need easy approach recommendations  (North_America: United_States: Nevada: Red_Rock_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm recovering from a hip injury - if I have a relapse, I can't walk for more than a minute or two without excrutiating pain. But I refuse to cancel my climbing trip to Red Rocks. Hoping if I take it easy, I'll be able to climb all week. Looking for recommendations for easy to moderate climbs with approaches as short and non-strenuous as possible - and easy descents (rap or gentle walk down). I sport lead 5.10a, Gunks trad 5.8 - although I may take it down a notch if my hip hurts. Any beta on areas and routes that meet that criteria would be much appreciated. Thanks!

gblauer

Mar 31, 2011, 1:52 AM
Post #2 of 6 (2539 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cliffmama] Recovering from hip injury - need easy approach recommendations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry to hear about your hip...hope you recovery quickly

USnavy

Apr 2, 2011, 6:00 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2496 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cliffmama] Recovering from hip injury - need easy approach recommendations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cliffmama wrote:
I'm recovering from a hip injury - if I have a relapse, I can't walk for more than a minute or two without excrutiating pain. But I refuse to cancel my climbing trip to Red Rocks. Hoping if I take it easy, I'll be able to climb all week. Looking for recommendations for easy to moderate climbs with approaches as short and non-strenuous as possible - and easy descents (rap or gentle walk down). I sport lead 5.10a, Gunks trad 5.8 - although I may take it down a notch if my hip hurts. Any beta on areas and routes that meet that criteria would be much appreciated. Thanks!
hmmm I dont know of any multi-pitch routes at Red Rocks that offers a short approach, its more like the extreme opposite really. But there is sport climbing in the second pullout with short approaches. The sandstone quarry, and the first and second pullouts all have plenty of routes with short approaches, but they are mostly all single pitch, and mostly sport climbing, although there is some trad in each of those areas. The second pullout has the most sport.

matt4923

Apr 13, 2011, 4:51 AM
Post #4 of 6 (2403 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I would hit up the Ragged Edges wall at the Willow Springs pull out. It's easy to medium trad with a super easy approach (as far as Red Rock goes). Good Luck!

enigma

Apr 13, 2011, 11:14 AM
Post #5 of 6 (2386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cliffmama wrote:

Ok. If I was you, I would recover at home. A hip is a big deal. If you mess it up again , the recovery could take months to get better.

Now that I have said the right thing, here's an alternative. Go to NJC. Its not RR. but no approaches, sport climbs. close to one another.

I'm sure there are some routes on this site, and a book.

Please be careful. Its a hip not your pinky.

cliffmama

Apr 13, 2011, 9:53 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2367 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Recovering from hip injury - need easy approach recommendations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the beta folks. I got in 3 great days of short to medium approach sport climbing at Red Rocks before I had a relapse of my injury. While my friends went climbing, I spent 2 days sightseeing the Vegas Strip as a disabled person (borrowed a wheelchair the first day, then had too many blisters on my hands to wheel myself anymore and rented an electric scooter for the 2nd day). Day 3 was spent driving to CA, and by day 4 I could hobble enough to do some easy approach-free climbing at Indian Cove in Jtree. Day 5 I was limping but doing much better and climbed at New Jack City. Day 6 I could walk again as we flew home and today I went to an orthopedic surgeon so I could get an MRI and figure out what the hell is going on. Might not be the hip, could be the abductor muscle.

Next Monday heading to New River Gorge to climb with my kids and other families, where I won't have the easy option of renting a scooter and amusing myself. Could be bad if I have another relapse... :-(

Jannette

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook